Martz oozes confidence at first press conference

The Bears’ hire of Mike Martz as offensive coordinator is being criticized in some parts and praised in others.  At Monday’s introductory press conference, Martz touched on some of the developments that led up to his new position and his plans for the Bears’ offense.

Martz felt an “instant connection” with quarterback Jay Cutler when the two met for dinner in Nashville on Saturday night.
Kitna enjoyed his years under Martz, combining for 39 touchdown passes and throwing for over 4,000 yards in each of the seasons Martz called plays in Detroit.
Martz added that the Bears have “plenty of talent” at wide receiver and says he’s “real excited about the speed.”  So don’t look for the Bears to trade for Brandon Marshall.  Devin Aromashodu could be a 2010 fantasy sleeper.
Martz also downplayed his alleged rift with current Bears defensive line coach Rod Marinelli, who fired Martz in Detroit after the ’07 season.
“I went to Detroit after I met Rod Marinelli,” Martz said.  “That’s the only reason I went to Detroit.  There’s no issue there.  It just doesn’t exist.”
Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo, amid speculation to the contrary, said he is on board with the Martz hire: “Another misconception out there…We offer the job to one individual.  Mike Martz.”
“We’ll be hitting on all cylinders on opening day,” Martz promised of his offense. “There is a lot of character in this group.  They want to learn and that’s the biggest part of it.”

55 responses to “Martz oozes confidence at first press conference

1. A recurring theme with Martz is poor clock management. I know it has been written about with the Rams and I saw it with the 49ers. I am guessing Detroit also, although I did not follow his activities there.

2. Martz QB’s also throw a lot of Picks, but then again who am i kidding this is Jay Cutler we are talking about.

3. I wanted Mike Martz to come in and transform JAson Campbell into bomb throwing monster. Instead I had to settle for Sherman Smith’s dink-dunk-and flunk offense. Good luck, NFC North. Jay Cutler just got a whooole lot more dangerous

4. The more I think about it, the more I like this move. Basically we’ve got 2 options for next year.
    The first one is everything clicks for the offense and the Bears have a good season. Maybe not the option with the best odds, but I don’t think it’s out of the question. The Bears wideout’s will have a full season under their belts with Cutler, the O-line improves with couple offseason moves and Chris Williams being the LT from the get go, and Cutler cleans things up a bit and keeps it below 15 int’s.
    2nd option is Martz and Cutler try to kill each other and Lovie and Angelo take turns trying to blame each other for the debacle for 3 months and the whole operation goes down in a giant ball of flames.
    Either way, it should be an entertaining season.

5. That’s oozing alot of confidence for being the Bears’ 132nd choice. The interaction between iron Mike Tice and Martz next year ought to be entertaining as hell.

6. “Martz added that the Bears have ‘plenty of talent’ at wide receiver and says he’s ‘real excited about the speed.’ So don’t look for the Bears to trade for Brandon Marshall.”
    Yeah ….
    What, exactly, would the Bears be trading for Brandon Marshall?

7. well the rams scored 30 points a game for a few years.
    that covers up some clock management faux pas.

8. bearsrule you make no sense to me at all. as a fellow life long bears fan.. (we’re talkin qb controversy between Bob Avellini and Mike Phipps..) why in the world would you not want this thing to work out. a Martz who knows this is his last shot?? A coach (lovie) who knows that this is his last chance to fix this.. Marinelli desperate to look better from Detroit.. Angelo who knows that the Gaines Adams and Cutler deal will be laid at his doorstep??
    So again. fellow Monster of the Midway.. why don’t you want this to work again?? Or is misery and staring at the butts of the packers and vikes ok with you. as long as you were right on the net???

9. Trade for marshall, lock up peppers, call it a day.
    Drafty, we can always trade away ouur 2011 and 2012 1 rd. picks, F it.

10. Yea I like the move… Cutler showed this year that he has a Gun but he lacks self control and decsion making so instead of forcing him to learn to be something he is not, lets bring in someone that will have him firing the ball down feild. As for the WR’s? I think this is a real weakness for this team…I look for them to either draft or bring in some help in that area. But they will be dangerous with a healty D and a more consistant passing game not to mention Forte who is comming off a sophmore slump… I say they make the playoffs.

11. I did not see the press conference, so did he bring up what the negative things he had to say about Cutler on the NFL Network? I guess finally getting a job is worth changing your tune, maybe he can find a way to bring in Billick also.

12. Bye Bye Forte….Cutler will be a good Fantasy QB next year….he’ll throw for a ton of yards because they’ll suck and he’ll be chucking to come from behind every week….the mad scientist is back!!!!

13. Wow I thought it’s tough being an Eagles fan and having to deal with the fact that a third of our fanbase are legally retarded but even I am shocked at a couple of you Bears ‘fans’!

14. # GreenAndGold says: February 1, 2010 8:10 PM
    Just because you are a character, doesn’t mean you have character.
    =====================================
    And just because you have an outhouse does not mean that you are not full of shit.

15. So the Bears now basically have the same coaching staff that the zero & whatever lions had. I love it. More humor – Mike Tice working for Martz. Tice, when he was the Vikes HC, once said that his strategy was to play smash mouth football. He and Martz are two peas in a pod. This is going to be very entertaining, in a slow train wreck kind of way. So what should the Bears trade for Marshall? How about Greg Olsen and another first rounder? Angelo might do it, you never know… I just hope that Lovie and his new Lions coaches can hang on for two years before they get fired.

16. Anybody out there who claims they are a Bears fan and hopes this next season is a disaster,
    I HOPE YOU DIE OF ASS CANCER!!
    SERIOUSLY, I HOPE YOU DO, YOU MISERABLE PIECE OF TRASH….

17. # DaVikes says: February 1, 2010 8:24 PM
    ====================================
    Ready for Tarvaris Jackson part II Viking fans?
    Talk about a train wreck.

18. Ummm just because Martz runs a pass heavy offense doesn’t mean Cutler is going to be amazing all the sudden. He is still the one making decisions where to throw the ball not Martz, so saying that I don’t see how this is going to change anything other than giving Cutler more opportunities to turn the ball over.

19. “When he brushed his beautiful bangs back, exposing his dreamy eyes, I knew then that there was an immediate connection. I promised myself, after Kitna burned me, never to love again, but here he was. I couldn’t help myself. We had to get dessert. I helped him administer his insulin. The sensuousness of it cannot be understated.”
    /Mike Martz slash-fic

20. Martz said he had “an instant connection with Cutler” just has he did with Jon Kitna. Oh, boy that sounds fantastic. What the hell has Kitna ever done in his career? When you compare Cutler and Kitna in any sort of way, that is trouble. Good luck, Bears fans.

21. Say whatever you want about Culter, in Chicago, he had no WR’s to throw to. Hire Martz if you want, you still have no receivers to throw to.
    its like painting your mailbox when the house is burning now, might look good but it does nothing to solve your major problem

22. The Vikings wont have Favre, Detroit is Detroit, and Rogers always finds a way to choke. I say 10-6 wins this division next year, and the Bears might not be that far from 10-6.
    Or, Cower in 2011.

23. BearMan54 – you wish you had the kind of QB Rodgers is – a choker? Just another dillusional Bears fan. How many picks did Jay the Great throw? Yeah, that’s right.

24. Martz needs to find a way to use Forte like he did with Marshall Faulk in St. Louis.
    They also can’t forget about Greg Olson in the passing game.
    Old school with Martz will not get it done in the NFL of today.

25. Ready for Tarvaris Jackson part II Viking fans?
    ————————————————–
    First of all,Favre is coming back.I have inside knowledge.
    Even if we went with TJack.no problem.He won the North before Favre with a much weaker Vikings team. We be champs for years!

26. will the hate you losers jave for cutler ever end?what did e ever do to you? oh wait he demanded a trade so that makes him abay.or he dares show emotion other than a bright smily fave when things don’t go right. great but here are the facts whether you want to admit it or not,he was a great young qb in denver before he was brought in and ruined chicago.yea he threw the picks but who was the genius that decided not to build a offense around the things he did well in denver?it was his fault he had o.c. who could not coach his way out of a paper bag.he is the guy who kept his best wideout on the bench untill the last 3-4 weeks of the season. again look at what he did the last 2 games when the idiot allowed him to move around in the pocket.it may not end up being turf 2 but it can’t be any worse than last year. unless he calls a screen to hester on the first play.

27. CYGNUS X-1 – Cutler dares to show emotion? – that emotion is what a 5 year old shows. Great young QB in Denver? – 17-20 in Denver. He ruined Chicago? There’s a vote of confidence. Best wideout on the bench? DA? He’s scary. It can’t be any worse than last year? Your really setting the bar high with that idea and yes, it can.

28. As a Vikes fan I would rather see someone else than Martz.
    Martz has proven to be a great OC.
    Martz has potential to help make them a great offense. Greatest Show on Earth.

29. GBP- comparing Cutler’s time in Denver to Chicago is comparing apples to oranges. If Cutler was in Denver this year they make the playoffs easily. Contrary to thought, the Bear WRs were pretty impressive considering their lack of experience. The same could be said of a guy named Holt and Bruce. Not trying to compare them to the Bears corp, but they certainly have a ton of speed and a lot of potential. Remember, DA did a lot of damage in just 4 games.

30. Martz’s offenses put the QB at greater risk. The plays take longer to develop resulting in more sacks as well as an increase in hurried throws resulting in more interceptions. For as long as Cutler stays healthy the rollercoaster will be fun to watch, but if you are a Bear’s fan it’s going to rip your heart out. Good Luck!

31. pudgalvin says: February 1, 2010 7:48 PM
    ________
    Well said. Was thinking along the same lines.
    I like Aromashadu, Lovie’s issue is sticking for someone too long (Hester, Grossman) even when they don’t perform well.

32. Pervy Harvin says:
    February 1, 2010 9:45 PM
    First of all,Favre is coming back.I have inside knowledge.
    ——————————————-
    Of course he is. Hes the Evander Holyfield of football. That and hes got some unfinished ass slapping to do before he rides off into the sunset on that donkey of his. Next year Viking faithful next year. Until then please donate to the Vikings fan disaster relief by texting the word – CHOKE to 99099

33. # robertamberg says: February 1, 2010 7:37 PM
    =============
    What clock management do you need when you OUTSCORE people? If anything, it puts pressure on the Defense to engineer 3 and outs

34. “Martz” and “oozes” should never be used in the same sentence, let alone headline.
    That being said, I think Martz should hold out for his last shot at fame…playing the Penguin in the next Batman movie.

35. Hey all you ass clown bear fans that are bashing the bears for bringing in Martz, you are the same people that were complain that Turner was to conservative and predictable. Martz will not be and also if you ass clowns havnt notice the NFL is a passing league now so it will work. Now that Tice is our O-Line coach we have someone that knows what a good lineman looks like cause Lovie and Angelo don’t and I think that was our main prob. last year. We couldn’t run the ball except against bad teams so play action didnt work and culter was getting so much pressure causing him to make bad desions……Bears fan this will work. Also people bring up the Lions thing um maybe you should look at the talent the bears have it and the lions didnt so that pretty much squashes your comments…learn to lookmat the big picture…ASS CLOWNS!!!

36. Pervy Harvin says:
    February 1, 2010 9:45 PM
    Ready for Tarvaris Jackson part II Viking fans?
    ————————————————–
    First of all,Favre is coming back.I have inside knowledge.
    ———
    Inside knowledge? Like the time when you said you were going to have your own sports website? Why are you still talking like a whigger?

37. Bears fans should be excited. Martz offenses move the ball, period. Get ready for Forte to be about as productive as Faulk in his prime. Plus a lot of guys not named Bruce or Holt have done extremely well in this offense… the Bears WRs will be fine.
    Or it’ll be a glorious meltdown and we’ll see you near the top of the draft.

38. If Lovie, Martz and the Bears offense are successful next season – Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo will be crowing about how his hire of Martz made it so.
    If they do have success on the playing field next season – maybe Bears management should consider firing G.M. Jerry Angelo instead of Smith and Martz.

39. The main reason we are seeing alot of input from the other NFC North fans is fear. Simple outright fear and I can understand it, you guys are whistling past the graveyard! Cutler has a cannon, everyone knows it, but Turner didn’t know how to use it and it showed. Unexperienced WRs….unsettled O-Line….bad and predictable OC. …major injuries on the defense. All that but yet the Bears beat the Vikings right out of home field advantage and out of any chance for the Super Bowl…..sweet.
    Enter Martz, lets see what he has to work with shall we? A QB with a great arm and some VERY quick WRs (Hester/Knox/Aromashodu) a solid RB and a good TE, why should this bother the NFC North?
    With a quick glance I look at the DBs in the NFC North and all I can say is “Thier pants will be on the ground” the CBs from Vikings and Green Bay are in thier 30s! Good luck guys….Martz made Az Hakim a star, what do you think he will do for these guys?

40. Pervy Harvin says:
    February 1, 2010 9:45 PM
    Ready for Tarvaris Jackson part II Viking fans?
    ————————————————–
    First of all,Favre is coming back.I have inside knowledge.
    ****************************************
    HEY TOOL – pretty sure it was Frerotte that carried the weight last year. T-jack was getting benched left & right. Oh i guess he came in and played well against Arizona & his lone playoff appearance was terrible.
    Get your facts straight you idiot. Inside knowledge? Idiot

41. “That happened to me with Jon Kitna the first time I met him, too,” Martz said. “This was very interesting because we were on the same page on so many things.”
    ——————————
    And what a magical connection that was.