Joey Porter wants to play in California

On Monday, Dolphins outside linebacker Joey Porter requested a trade.

On Tuesday, Porter attempted to dictate where he’ll go.
The 33-year-old informed Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel that he wants to play for a team in his home state of California that utilizes the 3-4 defensive scheme.
Just two teams fit the profile: the Chargers and 49ers.  Neither is especially in need of an outside rusher.  San Francisco tied for third in the NFL in sacks last season, while San Diego used its 2009 first-round pick on Larry English.  English was a backup as a rookie.
Porter’s best bet might be Arizona.  The Cardinals run the 3-4, and are likely to lose impending free agent OLB Chike Okeafor.  The team’s primary nickel rusher, Bertrand Berry, has retired.
Meanwhile, Gregg Rosenthal caught a glimpse of Dolphins inside linebacker Channing Crowder at Super Bowl Media Day.  Rosenthal made sure to hide his PFT badge so Crowder wouldn’t deck him.
Crowder also told Omar Kelly that he believes Porter has plenty left in the tank.
“Being an old guy, finishing strong should have been the hard part,” Crowder said about J-Peezy.  Crowder added that Porter is “a Bill Cowher guy,” as opposed to a Bill Parcells favorite.
We don’t doubt that Porter could help a team as a situational pass rusher.  He had nine sacks in 2009.  The question is whether he’s willing to be one, and his comments to Jim Rome on Monday indicate that he isn’t.
Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, San Francisco 49ers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Joey Porter wants to play in California”
  1. slipkid says: Feb 2, 2010 5:15 PM

i think whis is smart enough to stay away from peezy.

2. raiders177 says: Feb 2, 2010 5:16 PM

And I wanna go jet-skiing with velociraptors all day while “Danger Zone” is blaring in the background, but we all don’t get what we want.

3. VAraiderFan says: Feb 2, 2010 5:16 PM

OAKLAND RAIDERS!!!!! DONT FORGET THEY PLAY IN CALI!!

4. Tim Couch says says: Feb 2, 2010 5:18 PM

That’s right JP – Drivin’ down the 101, California here we come!

5. VoiceofReason says: Feb 2, 2010 5:18 PM

In related news, the Miami Dolphins wish Porter would stop overrunning draw plays and overplaying screens to add to his sack total. I just hope they don’t trade this overrated bum to my team.

6. this class sucks says: Feb 2, 2010 5:18 PM

I would gladly take Porter on the 49ers. Parys Harrilson is a good pass rusher but an awful tackler Porter would be a nice addition.

7. Stuart Scotts left eye says: Feb 2, 2010 5:24 PM

Porter would be a monster in SD. I’m just not sure if the city of SD could survive both Shaun Phillips AND Porters mouths.

8. Chapnasty2 says: Feb 2, 2010 5:28 PM

Again, no one cares. If the media would stop reporting on everything he has to say then he would stop talking.

9. FireJerryJones says: Feb 2, 2010 5:29 PM

Could be week 5 before he clues in that AZ is not in California.
    He’d be closer to the senior population…

10. HarrisonHits says: Feb 2, 2010 5:30 PM

The Raiders are the only team in Cali stupid enough to overpay Porter.

11. texasPHINSfan says: Feb 2, 2010 5:31 PM

Porter still has gas left in the tank; the problem is he won’t listen to coaches. I’m sorry but if a coach is telling you to come off the field for a specific play or package and you don’t, you might as well be radioactive. Hard for me to defend Porter because of this.
    The trade talk is all hilarious as he’ll be cut anyway. No one is picking up that contract.

12. slipkid says: Feb 2, 2010 5:33 PM

peezy doesnt tackle either.

13. Snowman2008 says: Feb 2, 2010 5:35 PM

I want to play for a team in Cali.
    And I want to wear number 56.
    And I want the defense centered around me making all the tackles.
    And I want a corner locker.
    And I want it to have Wii.
    And I want WiFi there and an Mac Pro there too.
    And I want the cheerleaders to carry me on and off the field.
    And I want Comish Goodell to do my laundry.
    And…and…and…

14. Levito says: Feb 2, 2010 5:38 PM

@VAraiderFan the Raiders run a 4-3 genius.
    But they should trade him to Oakland, just to show him to shut up.

15. gregoriorossini says: Feb 2, 2010 5:39 PM

Porter is a Joke. Anyone who thinks his 9 coverage sacks were impressive this season, think again.

16. drubatuba says: Feb 2, 2010 5:41 PM

JP is a big ball of drama. He creates more problems for a team than sacks. The only place joey porter will get the job he THINKS he deserves is the CFL.

17. John says: Feb 2, 2010 6:09 PM

Porter should be labeled as a significant source of global warming.

18. karmathaitch says: Feb 2, 2010 6:10 PM

I would take him if he could staple his lips shut!!

19. thegaterecords says: Feb 2, 2010 6:11 PM

Id take Porter in Mike Singletary’s defense, the Niners will be top 5 defenses this season especially after draft!

20. st214life says: Feb 2, 2010 6:17 PM

Why is the bum Channing Crowder at media day?
    Last time I checked, he wasnt playing in the Super Bowl.
    Earn your way to media day you Kling-on!

21. Didier says: Feb 2, 2010 6:29 PM

If he can make it to 2011, he can play for the LA Jaguars.

22. Burnum says: Feb 2, 2010 6:37 PM

Porter is one dumb person.
    As a Dolphins Fan, I watched all 16 games this season. Porter did nothing that Jason Taylor or Cam Wake couldn’t do.
    Trade him away if you can get anything (even a late rounder) for him. If not he’ll be cut…

23. The Jimmy says: Feb 2, 2010 6:39 PM

Chapnasty2 says:
    February 2, 2010 5:28 PM
    __________________________
    He will be sitting in a retirement home 40 years from now jabbering away. That’s who he is.

24. Drednot says: Feb 2, 2010 6:43 PM

CNNSI reported last week that the Dolphins originally told Porter they didn’t want HIM back. Why is he shooting off his mouth saying that it’s his idea?? If Tuna’s wanted him, he’d of been signed already!!

25. WashingtonRedstorms says: Feb 2, 2010 6:56 PM

The California Redwoods are waiting for Joeseph.

26. Ron says: Feb 2, 2010 7:11 PM

POPCORN MUSCLES

27. braindead says: Feb 2, 2010 7:54 PM

Porter’s a washed up bum. All he’s ever done is run his mouth and then do a half-ass job of backing it up. Trade him to Oakland with the rest of the washed up misfits

28. FinFan says: Feb 2, 2010 8:13 PM

Good send the goof ball to the Raiders.
    NINE SACKS is a mistake. He only got when the quarterback was in the pocket for 30 or more minutes. He could run faster than a slug! And some were against horrible qbs like trent edwards and delhomme. Give me a break.
    Real men sack quarterbacks like Tom Brady and Payton.
    h.mmm… who’s name can I think off the top of my head:
    JASON TAYLOR!!!!!!!

29. lilmidas50 says: Feb 2, 2010 8:34 PM

could have sworn joey porter single handedly sacked peyton manning twice to send the steelers to the afc championship…………but what do I know ..right? lol
    jason taylors ring was on dancing with the stars
    f the haters peezy!

30. SFrancis1680 says: Feb 2, 2010 9:54 PM

Evan, the 49ers ARE in need of pass rushing help, their last game of the yr against the Rams, they had 8 sacks, so those numbers are a little misleading, their Thursday night game against the Bears, when Cutler threw 6 interceptions, they didn’t have a sack against him, … the Niners DEFINITELY need to improve their pass rush, and IF Joey Porter can help, sounds like a great fit to me, OR Shawn Merriman, IF the Chargers cut him loose