Maualuga issues apology for DUI, again

Bengals LB Rey Maualuga was arrested last week for driving drunk in Kentucky and had two women, ages 18 and 17, in the car with him.  He pleaded guilty on Tuesday.

Via team release, Maualuga issued an apology Tuesday afternoon.
“I sincerely apologize for letting everyone down and making a terrible decision to drive under the influence,” the statement reads.  ” I wanted to acknowledge fault quickly and accept the consequences for my actions, which are the same that anyone else facing these charges would receive.  I’m thankful to have the legal implications resolved this morning so I can begin to move on and make positive changes in my life.
“I know it’s going to be hard to believe in me, but I will do everything in my power to gain your trust back and I promise to learn from this.  I’m truly sorry for the humiliation and embarrassment I’ve caused myself, my family, the Bengals organization and this great city of Cincinnati.  I’d like to thank the entire Bengals organization, my teammates, family, friends and all the fans for the outpouring of support I’ve received since the incident took place.”
This was Maualuga’s second apology for the DUI.  He was also apologetic on Twitter Monday.
In a picture of Maualuga’s arrest and breathalyzer test posted by TMZ.com, it appears he was driving a Pontiac Sunfire.  While Maualuga doesn’t make quite as much money as JaMarcus Russell, it’s somewhat refreshing to see frugality in light of the video Mike Florio posted of Russell earlier Tuesday.
Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
21 Responses to “Maualuga issues apology for DUI, again”
  1. Citizen Strange says: Feb 2, 2010 2:12 PM

What about the womens? …. I mean teenagers?

2. Chapnasty2 says: Feb 2, 2010 2:13 PM

“Dont drink and drive because you might spill your drink” -Michael Scott

3. downwithdansnyder says: Feb 2, 2010 2:16 PM

Or that car could belong to the 17 or 18 year old he was with. Nice….

4. Biglardawg says: Feb 2, 2010 2:18 PM

Rey has almost as many mandated alcohol counceling sessions (2) as NFL sacks (3).

5. bollocks71 says: Feb 2, 2010 2:25 PM

Nobody buys Pontiac Sunfires. It was probably a rental.

6. Tim says: Feb 2, 2010 2:29 PM

That was not his car, he told the cops it was a girlfriends car and he difdnt mean his exclusive girlfriend. One would guess it was one of the young girls he was with car…

7. Tim says: Feb 2, 2010 2:33 PM

Also, Im not positive as to if he is driving the sunfire or the other black car…

8. bigfog says: Feb 2, 2010 2:36 PM

Hmm…having trouble believing that he actually wrote that, even with his fancy University of Spoiled Children degree. I’ve seen his Twitter account.

9. kwinner says: Feb 2, 2010 2:39 PM

I guess a DUI is better than getting busted for having sex with a minor! Now you know why all 32 teams passed on Raymond. Even the Lions knew better, twice!

10. ☻☼CBS, FOX, ESPN, NFLN nbc says: Feb 2, 2010 2:40 PM

Get off Jamarcus’ back. He wasn’t drinking and driving. He was to busy acting like an adult taking in some hoops.

11. Jared Allen's Shart Stain says: Feb 2, 2010 2:46 PM

…driving a Pontiac Sunfire?
    WTF, was he part of filming a Mancrunch commercial? That’s a chick’s car.

12. Fear Da Tiger says: Feb 2, 2010 2:52 PM

First of all, it was the 18 year old’s car he was driving, not his. Secondly, considering the guy is just 22 years old, the importance of her being “only” 18 is less significant. A four year age difference isn’t a big deal considering both are of college age.
    You have to respect the man for owning up to it instead of lawyering up and pleading to a lesser charge just because he has the cash to make it happen. He made a mistake, one that many everyday people have made, and now he’s paying the same penalty that Average Joe would pay. Can we finally move on?

13. WhoDey_Man says: Feb 2, 2010 3:06 PM

and to be honest, we all know what 17 and 18 year old girls look like nowadays. they probably said they were 22 and 23, and more than likely they probably looked the part.

14. stoop57 says: Feb 2, 2010 3:19 PM

Anyone who has gone to a bar or a party and had more than 2 drinks and drove home could have gotten a DUI, who really cares….

15. oh the usual says: Feb 2, 2010 3:36 PM

Fear Da Tiger says:
    February 2, 2010 2:52 PM
    Exactly what I was about to write. A 22 year old getting a DUI blowing a .17 and hanging out with girls within a 4 year age range of him is hardly a real issue. Yeah it shows a bit of irresponsibility, but owning up to it the way he has is a better thing to focus on, considering how common this situation is for a 22 year old. To me, Rey has shown highly comendable responses to this event.

16. Quagmire says: Feb 2, 2010 3:37 PM

I sincerely apologize for getting caught and the reason for the teenagers is that I was interviewing baby-sitters.

17. texasPHINSfan says: Feb 2, 2010 4:05 PM

“bollocks71 says:
    February 2, 2010 2:25 PM
    Nobody buys Pontiac Sunfires. It was probably a rental.”
    This made me laugh, but it’s true.

18. RAVEN MANlAC says: Feb 2, 2010 4:26 PM

The car belonged to the 18-year-old high school senior he was driving with. I’ve also read that the 17-year-old was in one of the parked cars he hit, not in the car with him.
    But that was definitely the teenage girl’s car, not Rey’s.

19. ben.there says: Feb 2, 2010 8:04 PM

Rey is 23, not 22, and was with a 17 and 18 yr old. A college graduate, i.e. older than college age, with high school aged girls. Who are obviously below the legal drinking age. Quit making excuses, this guy is obviously a prototypical football player rapist. I doubt you’d be making excuses for him if he crashed your daughter’s or sister’s car on the way to the motel.

20. moment of truth says: Feb 3, 2010 9:20 AM

There is no excuse of being 22 or 23, he is old enough to be a man and need to grow up. So, what is another excuse he is going to say, oh my dad died and he’s not here to comfort me. Rey is not 16 years old. Why was he driving a chick’s car? Is he gay? hahahaha

21. BleedColtsBlue says: Feb 4, 2010 1:45 AM

Ok… you go from an article discussing a defensive player on the Bengals who got a DUI… to a quarterback on the Raiders who has never been in trouble with the law.. @ a basketball game.
    Yep.. that’s what I call a natural segue.