Police: Novacek's wife died from apparent suicide

Burleson, Texas police Commander Doug Sandifer said Tuesday that the wife of ex-Cowboys tight end Jay Novacek is believed to have died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

It appeared no foul play,” Sandifer said.  “We’re waiting for the medical examiner’s findings.”
Johnson County Sheriff Bob Alford indicated that LeAnne Novacek’s apparent suicide surprised the community she was actively involved in.
“LeAnne and Jay are a very well thought of family here in our county,” Alford said, describing the deceased as outgoing and personable.  “I don’t know of anyone that didn’t feel at ease around here.  She just went out of her way to make you feel welcome.”
Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Police: Novacek's wife died from apparent suicide”
  1. SeaOtter says: Feb 2, 2010 12:53 PM

Suicide is absolutely devastating for the family and friends of the deceased. It leaves a trail of pain and emotional destruction that is impossible to describe. My thoughts are with the family.

2. RIP__21 says: Feb 2, 2010 12:53 PM

Always terrible when someone decides to end their own life. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

3. Maudite PHX says: Feb 2, 2010 12:53 PM

Wow…so sad. My heart goes out to the whole Novacek family.

4. Dawkphan says: Feb 2, 2010 12:55 PM

May God Be with Jay , Family , and Friends. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

5. SATAN567 says: Feb 2, 2010 1:04 PM

Again, thoughts and prayers out to Jay and his family.
    But… what a selfish thing to do. So destructive to the family and people that depended upon her and looked to her. It sounds as though she was a leader within both her family and the greater community. Truly a great loss.

6. jgray says: Feb 2, 2010 1:09 PM

Dang. That blows.

7. Cubano says: Feb 2, 2010 1:14 PM

That’s horrible news. All my thoughts and prayers to the Novacek Family.

8. cobrala2 says: Feb 2, 2010 1:15 PM

That’s horrible news. As much as that man tore my Eagles defense apart, it sickens me to know anybody has to endure something like this.
    P.S. – Thank you for handling this story with more class than your Brees debacle.

9. downsouth49er says: Feb 2, 2010 1:16 PM

so sad…i wonder if she was on any kind of medication because more and more now i’m hearing these prescription meds are giving people suicide thoughts…such a terrible way to lose a loved one, my prayers go out to the family.

10. cobrala2 says: Feb 2, 2010 1:17 PM

11. Bill In DC says: Feb 2, 2010 1:24 PM

Horrible news. Prayers for her and the entire Novacek family.

12. Quagmire says: Feb 2, 2010 1:35 PM

Very sad, my condolences to the Novacek Family.

13. Wipackman says: Feb 2, 2010 1:39 PM

Praying for jay and his Family ….How devestating

14. downwithdansnyder says: Feb 2, 2010 1:40 PM

Y’all really need to work on your proofreading.
    “”I don’t know of anyone that didn’t feel at ease around here”
    Did you mean to type “her” and not here? Would make more sense unless that fella was just talking about how everyone felt at ease around his town in general ;)

15. City_Native says: Feb 2, 2010 1:47 PM

Condolences to his family. This is very sad.
    Can we leave the “Eventhough I am an Eagles fan” type statements out of subjects like this! When it comes to murder or suicide . . . who cares what fan you are.
    Example of a loser:
    “Eventhough I am a diehard Eagles fan and hate the Cowboys, my prayers are with their family.”
    You are a tool if you say things like this.

16. 8man says: Feb 2, 2010 2:09 PM

Oh dear! A gunshot wound? Not a typical way for women to end their lives. Most use pills or cut their wrists.
    She was very sure or this was some bizarre accident. No mention of a note?
    I think they have a daughter. May God give her strength and comfort through this horrible event.
    Very sad.

17. jeffragnarchicken says: Feb 2, 2010 2:15 PM

Although I feel for the family, suicide is a cowards way out.
    To take your own life when others who want to live are dying when they don’t want to, well that sickens me.
    I feel for the family, but am angered by people who do this, it’s happened close to me twice, so i’m not spouting anger just to be a jerk.
    i had a freind commit suicide, while my 4 year old cousin was dying of a brain tumor, she wanted to live, but died. He commited suicide over a woman. Selfish and pathetic.

18. Football-head says: Feb 2, 2010 2:20 PM

Thoughts to Jay and his family. I grew up cheering for him as a child, and he lives 5 miles from where I was raised… I know the entire community is rocked by this, and I hope that the Novacek family finds peace through this tragedy.

19. SeaOtter says: Feb 2, 2010 2:22 PM

Satan567 – it’s normal to be angry with the person who has taken their own life. That’s part of the process. (Shortly thereafter, you feel guilt and shame for feeling angry, then angry about feeling guilt and shame – it’s a horrible Catch 22.)
    When we talk about what a selfish act suicide is, though, we forget that suicide is not a rational act. The person who took their own life clearly needed some help, and sadly didn’t get it. Mental illness has a huge stigma still attached to it, so those suffering from depression often go to great lengths to hide it, even from their closest family. The solution is to talk about it more openly, and let people know that they don’t have to suffer in silence from depression.

20. Bigbluefan says: Feb 2, 2010 2:29 PM

Jay was always a great player my prayers are with him and his family

21. gunnerfan says: Feb 2, 2010 2:30 PM

Also could the other dolts that express their condolences then say
    but… (Insert bad thought here)
    Please shut up. There is no but…
    There is only pain. You don’t know the mental make up here or what she has gone threw. Don’t judge and call her a coward it makes you look stupid.

22. Deb says: Feb 2, 2010 2:37 PM

My deepest condolences to Jay and his family. May God be with you during this terrible time.
    @SATAN567 … 80 percent of suicides suffer from severe depression and other disorders. Since self-preservation is our most ingrained instinct, people who take their lives are not thinking clearly, so it’s not a conscious act of selfishness.
    @downwithdansnyder … For God’s sake, is that all you can think about reading this post? It’s a blog, not a term paper. Get over it.

23. kerrib says: Feb 2, 2010 2:38 PM

To the Novacek family, I am sorry for your loss.
    Selfish? Not necessarily so, desperate and an overwhelming feeling of no other options.
    You should show more compassion, and less judgement. You obviously have no concept of where a person is to make the decision to commit suicide.
    Not many people can understand the feelings of helplessness, counseling needs to be encouraged more frequently, without preconceived judgements of weakness, or stigma.
    Again, I am very sorry for your loss.
    Jak se mas. kerri

24. RagnarHater24 says: Feb 2, 2010 2:39 PM

City Native: Don’t turn this into a hate fest. Pray for Jay and his family. There is few worse tragedies than they are dealing with. Don’t know you Jay, but my heart and prayers are with you.

25. deb2125 says: Feb 2, 2010 2:42 PM

city_native i do not think that leaving condolences on another teams article about a death is being a “tool” at all..after all the article talks about the cowboys/football so why wouldn’t an eagles fan be allowed to leave their condolences when they do not have to.. in my opinion i welcome other teams fans to leave their comments and even tell which teams they are fans of because i would probably do the same on their sites.. COWBOYS fans welcome fans of all teams as long as they are respectful and that is all that the eagles fans were doing.. showing respect. i hate the eagles more than any other team so if that makes me a “tool” for saying that here so be it.
    R.I.P. leanne novacek.. my condolences to jay and the family

26. danielcp0303 says: Feb 2, 2010 2:50 PM

I met this guy at a business he owned and he signed a football for me, he was just such a nice guy. He was a hard worker too, so sad that he lost his wife. Just sad

27. Seeryer says: Feb 2, 2010 2:56 PM

Sad to hear such a horrible thing. A gunshot suicide for a woman must be the rarest form of suicide for females. I didn’t want to go here but any word on whether she caught her husband and Troy Aikman in bed together?

28. WhoDey_Man says: Feb 2, 2010 3:02 PM

let this be a lesson to you to thank everyone you owe appreciation to today, for who knows what tomorrow may hold.

29. City_Native says: Feb 2, 2010 4:04 PM

To Ragnar & Deb,
    I think you missed my point a little bit. I think when it comes to a subject like this it should not matter what fan you are. So when an earlier poster named Cobrala says:
    “As much as that man tore my Eagles defense apart, it sickens me to know anybody has to endure something like this.” Take the Eagles fan part out . . . it does not matter. Putting your fan allegiance and discussing suicide in the same sentence is pathetic and sad.

30. Deb says: Feb 2, 2010 4:30 PM

@City_Native …
    I have NO IDEA what you’re talking about or why you are addressing me. I have not addressed ANYTHING to you. My username is Deb and it doesn’t look anything like deb2125.

31. Deb says: Feb 2, 2010 4:36 PM

@City_Native …
    What’s sad is that I’ve been addressing a serious subject in a serious way and you’re apparently too drunk or whatever to READ a user name. I haven’t spoken to YOU or COBRALA and I don’t give a tinker’s damn about the Cowboys and Eagles or fan allegiance at a time like this.
    Please don’t EVER address any comment to my user name EVER again.

32. jeffragnarchicken says: Feb 2, 2010 4:39 PM

gunnerfan says:
    February 2, 2010 2:30 PM
    Also could the other dolts that express their condolences then say
    but… (Insert bad thought here)
    Please shut up. There is no but…
    =============================
    Listen turd. I will feel any way I want to about the act of suicide. People are babied and mollycoddled way to much in today’s world.
    Don’t you dare to tell me how to feel about anything. Suicide is a cowardly act, it only hurts those left behind.
    I gave my condolences to the family, I have a right to say whatever I like, I wasn’t being crass.
    To make excuses for those who take thier own lives is to justify the act. Nothing, I repeat, nothing is so bad that it is worth taking tyour life.
    These people are weak minded or weak overall, and they just hurt their loved ones.

33. footballrulz says: Feb 2, 2010 4:53 PM

@seeryer
    Please tell me you over not over 12 years old. You should immediately go show your mommy what you have posted so she can sufficiently paste you up against the wall–twice.
    You have a reckoning coming.
    Condolances to the Novacek family.

34. Deb says: Feb 2, 2010 5:19 PM

So … it’s okay for an illiterate idiot named City_Native to call me out for something I didn’t say or do and for you to leave it there unanswered for a freaking hour but it’s not okay for you to post a link that might help someone trying to deal with a suicide on a thread about suicide. This is the first time I’ve ever been thoroughly disgusted with anything on PFT. When is the boss coming back?
    @jeffragnarchicken …
    Jeff, after reading your comment about your friend, I tried to post a link for you but apparently we’re not allowed to post links today. So I hope you’ll consider going to a site that sells books, and searching for “No Time to Say Goodbye: Surviving the Suicide of a Loved One” by Carla Fine. Most books on suicide are clinical works that focus on why. This was the first book written by and for those who are left behind.
    When a close friend committed suicide just after I went through a cancer battle, I did a lot of research trying to understand. It’s never just one thing, like the breakup of a relationship. Although the personal stories in this book are graphic, it really helped. I shared it with the family, and it was such a huge help to them that it inspired them to start a local support group. It might help you to come to terms with your feelings about your friend.

35. City_Native says: Feb 2, 2010 8:10 PM

To DEB,
    Those 3 posts after I failed to add four digits to a username? Obviously you understood I meant deb2125 and not just deb. I didn’t know there was more than one deb on the board. Hopefully your anger can subside because to get that angry over a simple 4 digit mistake must mean your dealing with something.

36. Deb says: Feb 2, 2010 8:55 PM

@City_Native …
    You didn’t say “deb2125,” nor did you say “deb.” You called out “Deb” on a thread about SUICIDE. You talked about my HUMANITY on a thread about perhaps the most serious subject this site has ever covered. And you don’t even have the DECENCY to apologize. YES, I’m dealing with something: RAGE at a COMPLETE MORON whose IGNORANCE and INSENSITIVITY–while having the NERVE to lecture the behavior of others–blows my mind.
    It’s not a simple 4-digit mistake. It’s you calling me out BY NAME on a public blog for something I did not do regarding a subject that hits very close to home for me. I’m sorry you’re not adult enough to grasp that.
    There are more than three million people on this site. If you’re too lazy or irresponsible to address them specificially, maybe you shouldn’t be here.

37. MasterShake says: Feb 3, 2010 3:10 AM

Did it take two shots? Was she on the couch? Did the shooter use their right hand even though it was a left handed shot? Has Rae Carruth posted bail? Where exactly was Ray Lewis? Was O.J. golfing? Was she crossing the street when drunk NFL player ran her ass over? Leonard hasn’t been mentioned lately.
    Did Ben’s TV get fixed?