Dallas Clark says "what dat?" on "who dat"

Every day, the NFL distributes via e-mail and hard copy pages and pages of Super Bowl quote sheets, with summaries of the comments made by players and coaches at the various official media sessions.

Frankly, 99 percent of the stuff isn’t interesting.  But it often pays to sift through it.

For example, Colts tight end Dallas Clark talked on Wednesday about the Saints’ trademark (but not trademark-protected) “who dat” refrain.

“I have no idea what it means,” Clark said.  “No reason to care.  That’s not a good thing I don’t think.  I sure that’s a good thing for them so hopefully we don’t hear it too much.  I just don’t know the story behind what that’s about.”

Really?

Look, we know it’s not immediately obvious, but anyone with the slightest bit of natural curiosity (and access to a computer) should be able to figure it out.

But if he doesn’t care to know what it actually means, we suggest that Clark’s teammates tell him that “who dat” is the mating call of the Cajun owl.

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
59 Responses to “Dallas Clark says "what dat?" on "who dat"”
  1. NachoBidness says: Feb 3, 2010 2:45 PM

Who cares abou this story. It’s media week for pete’s sake and this is the best you can do? out of 100 e-mails?

2. florioSweatsJETS says: Feb 3, 2010 2:47 PM

yes, because no one gives a sht about “who dat”, clark is right about that!

3. mixman34 says: Feb 3, 2010 2:48 PM

He doesn’t care because it’s stupid. Just like the rest of us not residing in NO.

4. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Feb 3, 2010 2:51 PM

how does one grasp for straws with nubs?

5. ken hawk says: Feb 3, 2010 2:54 PM

Ground breaking.

6. jwill007 says: Feb 3, 2010 2:56 PM

“yes, because no one gives a sht about “who dat”, clark is right about that!”
    Who made you the voice of the NO Fans???? There are MILLIONS that give a SHT! If you dont like their slang to bad! Thats what makes US different we have so many DIFFERENT PEOPLE! Im glad its like that as who would wish for ALL people to talk, walk, dress, eat. play, dance and screw the same???? Not me!
    And Im not a Saints fan….

7. fuel52 says: Feb 3, 2010 2:57 PM

I’m going to say it again…it’s not for YOU to understand, comprehend or get. So, have a coke and a smile and well, you know the rest…

8. PRLA says: Feb 3, 2010 2:59 PM

Actually, who gives a rats a$$ what anybody outside of New Orleans thinks. I could care less about Dallas Clark or anybody on the Colts for that matter.

9. birdmancometh says: Feb 3, 2010 2:59 PM

I don’t know what it is either. As far as i’m concerned it’s something trendy. It’s not even clear whether who dat or who dey came first. Whatever, I think they’re both kinda stupid. Doesn’t matter what I think though as long as the city embraces it…

10. Sean Bateman says: Feb 3, 2010 3:01 PM

I have no idea what it means either.
    Yes, I have a computer to find out. But, no, I don’t care.

11. BigEasy says: Feb 3, 2010 3:01 PM

is this according to TMZ??

12. Pervy Harvin says: Feb 3, 2010 3:02 PM

“Who Dat” is worthless jibberish that means nothing to the world. Strictly a Saints kinda thing. Is about as relevant as Chewbacca growls.

13. RayDaMayor says: Feb 3, 2010 3:02 PM

It’s OK if you don’t know about it now, but you damn sure will Sunday evening about 10PM.
    Peace Out,
    The Who Dat Nation

14. ADX says: Feb 3, 2010 3:06 PM

My guess is what Clark really said was…
    Mike Florio? Who Dat?

15. Occam says: Feb 3, 2010 3:07 PM

Who care? “Who Dat” and “Who Dey” are without comparison the two stupidest sayings in all of sports.

16. jibfest says: Feb 3, 2010 3:10 PM

That saying is so stupid. It sounds like it is based on Ebonics. Then again “Cajun” IS French for White Trash so I guess I can see it.

17. DrewsBree says: Feb 3, 2010 3:11 PM

PERVY you still haven’t killed yourself yet?

18. fuel52 says: Feb 3, 2010 3:11 PM

It was relevant when Hartley nailed that kick in the NFCCG…

19. RaiderMight says: Feb 3, 2010 3:12 PM

I still don’t know what “Who dat?” really means either. Mainly because I don’t care to look it up. :)

20. Phyxsius says: Feb 3, 2010 3:16 PM

I don’t know what it is either, nor do I care.
    I do think whenever I hear “who dat nation” I physically cringe because it may possibly be the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

21. ADX says: Feb 3, 2010 3:19 PM

We dat Ray
    Love,
    The Colt Nation

22. AllThat says: Feb 3, 2010 3:20 PM

WHO DAT?
    DAT be Katrina and you better run.

23. No1billsfan says: Feb 3, 2010 3:26 PM

Pervy Harvin says:
    February 3, 2010 3:02 PM
    **************************************
    “Chewbacca growls” is WAY MORE Relevant than ‘who dat’

24. darrius_heyward-bey-butterfingers says: Feb 3, 2010 3:26 PM

I have a computer but I’ve never been interested in the meaning of saying “who dat” my guess is that it means nothing. Something to say when dey can’t think of anything else.

25. rolltide says: Feb 3, 2010 3:27 PM

People from New Orleans feel they’re the most interesting people in the world, so naturally everybody must care about “who dat”.
    the answer to “who dat” is of course “a bunch of moron cajun carnies that smell like corndogs”.

26. Chapnasty2 says: Feb 3, 2010 3:27 PM

I am not sure what a “dat” is either. Ahmen Dallas.

27. MFD53 says: Feb 3, 2010 3:31 PM

Why does it have to matter to anyone other than native New Orleanians? I personally don’t care if you get it, understand it, think it is stupid or whatever. I am not going to even try to explain how much this means to us. …to come as far as we have after all we have been through the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. I just hope that no one will ever have to experience a tragedy as this was. We are proud to be in New Orleans. We are proud of our team. I would think you would feel the same way if your team was in the super bowl. I am not going to apologize for being part of the “WHO DAT NATION” !!!

28. Sean Bateman says: Feb 3, 2010 3:37 PM

# mixman34 says: February 3, 2010 2:48 PM
    Speak for youself. I ain’t stupid.

29. Pervy Harvin says: Feb 3, 2010 3:37 PM

No1billsfan says: “Chewbacca growls” is WAY MORE Relevant than ‘who dat’
    ————————————————–
    Yah, Star Wars was huge. who dat nothing. While not a Star War fan,still own a Chewy mask.
    DrewsBree says:
    February 3, 2010 3:11 PM
    PERVY you still haven’t killed yourself yet?
    ————————————————–
    Not until the first team in NFC history to not deserve a SB because they got throttled gets killed by the Colts.

30. Saintnation says: Feb 3, 2010 3:38 PM

LOL at the bitter jackasses….. Win or lose N.O. will be having a good time next week, some of you guys will be shovelling snow, still angry about the season.

31. NoKoolaidCowboy says: Feb 3, 2010 3:44 PM

“what dat?”
    New Ol’ian’s school system at it’s best.

32. moreflagsmorefun says: Feb 3, 2010 3:45 PM

who he ?

33. BigEasy says: Feb 3, 2010 3:56 PM

If you’re not a Saints fan then its not for you….just watch and hate…and its good to see Viqueen trolls still floating around Saint/Colts articles to put their worthless comments in!!!!
    Who Dat gonna get blown up crossing da middle…..Clark dats Who and he’ll know what it is cause Sharper’s gonna whisper it to him after he blows him up!!

34. Quagmire says: Feb 3, 2010 3:57 PM

Clark is right, no one except Saints fans give a crap about who dat…who care?

35. Tim Biakabutuka says: Feb 3, 2010 3:59 PM

Doesn’t anyone realize that the whole “who dat?” concept has its origins in ol’ time Minstrel Shows…which were compltely and utterly racist??
    …guess not

36. Nordmann says: Feb 3, 2010 4:00 PM

I just figured it must be something their fans learned in their high school Ebonics class. Of course, that’s just the ones that actually attended class.

37. JimmySmith says: Feb 3, 2010 4:02 PM

Who dat is the Southern way of inquiring, for example, Who dat lying on his ass (answer: Brent Favre)
    Who dat stupid enough to send 12 players into the huddle and cost his team a shot at the Superbowl? (answer: Kol Klink)
    Who dat with 6 teeth and an IQ a few points higher (answer J. Allen or any number of Viking fans)
    You get the picture.

38. longrodvanhungendong says: Feb 3, 2010 4:04 PM

I thought the Bengals started this….whatever the hell this is. I just assume its English.

39. Gautam says: Feb 3, 2010 4:11 PM

even I didn’t know the history behind it … oh wait I have been in the US for only 2.5 yrs

40. VoxVagina says: Feb 3, 2010 4:12 PM

Some people on this site are such jerks

41. AlwaysSunnyInSD says: Feb 3, 2010 4:13 PM

Hey #1 Bills Fan – it sounds like you have a serious case of S.A.D. from the never-ending Buffalo winter. Phototherapy, psychotherapy and an Effexor or two might help wit dat.

42. ANUoldman says: Feb 3, 2010 4:19 PM

I don’t know anybody who knows wtf ‘who dat’ means….. The only reason I even know about it is from the money grubbing the NFL did over use of the term in conjunction with the Saints logo or colors…
    this falls under another one of those ego driven ‘I know it so the whole world must know it’ NFL self love things

43. PRLA says: Feb 3, 2010 4:27 PM

Rolltide…You’re a complete dumba$$. New Orleans is not cajun and New Orleanians are not cajuns!
    MFD53…Actually I wish these clowns would get hit by a Katrina type storm. They can stay flooded for 3 weeks, on Interstate overpasses for 5 or more days before help arrives. For a lot of areas, no electricity for for 1 month or longer and that’s not even in New Orleans, several small towns completely wiped out and they aren’t below sea level. The clowns that come on here and espouse their crap are nothing more that a bunch of illiterate imbeciles.

44. Happy Gilmore says: Feb 3, 2010 4:35 PM

Love it.
    You’re going to make fun of someone’s school system, and then you don’t know that “its” used this way doesn’t need an apostrophe??
    Please enlighten us — from what fabulous school system did you emerge?

45. sven_ftw says: Feb 3, 2010 4:39 PM

he probably doesn’t care because it sounds ignant…

46. Saintnation says: Feb 3, 2010 4:44 PM

Nothing says class like insulting people who dealt with a Natural Disaster…

47. EllisDee says: Feb 3, 2010 5:08 PM

Why the unbridled hate for Saints fans on these forums? I just don’t get it. Yes, Saints fans have never had their team in the SB, so they are happy and talking trash. If your crappy team was in the SB you’d be talking trash too. And enough with the Katrina stuff. Poking fun at death, property losses in the millions for the entire gulf coast, and uprooting of thousands of American families is not cool. But how can you hate on a team that has been virtually terrible for 43 years?

48. Football-head says: Feb 3, 2010 5:26 PM

I have to say… it kind of aggravates me to see people using something like Katrina to down a whole city. Colts fans are saying that NO fans are obnoxious….but they’re not exactly the most gentile people either. Stop acting like the NFL is trying to repay the Saints because they went through Katrina. The Saints played their asses off all year, and they deserve this as MUCH as the Colts. The entire year has been a Colts/Saints watch, and seems to me, this SB is exactly what it was meant to be a Colts/Saints showdown. Whoever wins, they both deserve to be there.. (Yes, I’m talking to you Vikings fans… you drop the ball that many times, you don’t deserve it.. period.. get over it…)
    Katrina was a disaster.. I have family in New Orleans and everytime I go there, it pains me to see how much the city changed. Recovery is STILL going on. So the Saints go to the Superbowl for the FIRST TIME and you expect the WHOLE CITY not to celebrate? Get over yourselves. The Colts won the SB not too long ago, so this isn’t your first rodeo, but get off your high horse that because of Katrina this, and because of Katrina that…. It’s sickening… one has nothing to do with the other… and I”m sorry… if you wanna go to Katrina, having some good news after losing damn near everything is NOT a bad thing…
    Those who are dogging New Orleans because of Katrina are boys trying to be men… It’s juvenile and insulting to people who care about people…
    And by the way… I’m a Cowboy fan.. so this has nothing to do w/ team loyalty…. grow up….

49. PatsHatersRMorons! says: Feb 3, 2010 5:29 PM

Don’t know what ‘who dat’ means and don’t care, but go Saints! Score early and often because Peyton will get his 2-3 bs pass interference calls in the 2nd half to put up some points late.

50. ghostrider says: Feb 3, 2010 5:36 PM

@RaiderMight
    “Btw, quit with the BS “Who Dat Nation” only one NFL Nation. The Raider Nation! lol”
    LOL! And how’s that workin’ out for ya?

51. Roxtar10 says: Feb 3, 2010 6:02 PM

I love it.
    Two classy teams in the Super Bowl who refuse to get into the media need to hear some trash talk and THIS is the best we can get??
    Clark didn’t say anything. At all. And everyone’s up in arms either defending him or stringing him up.

52. philwauke says: Feb 3, 2010 6:16 PM

Prla- I hope you get to experience a natural disaster in your lifetime so you can stfu stupid prick.

53. Jungle Juice says: Feb 3, 2010 6:42 PM

It was a joke saying from back in the days of Minstrel and became a joke saying in WWII among GIs. It’s tongue-in-cheek. “Who Dat” and “Who Dey” are much more fun than “Who is that” or “Who do they” just like “Whazup” is funner than “What is up”.
    Now quit poo pooin on the Saints fun.
    Back when my Bengals were going to the SBs in the 80′s we heard the same garbage.
    Maybe we should all have boring sayings like the Steelers “Here we go” or just spell out our name like the Jets.

54. NoKoolaidCowboy says: Feb 3, 2010 7:03 PM

LOL!!!
    Who Dat? Is an inside joke. So inside apparently that it cannot be explained. It’s a New Orleans thing that apparently isn’t meant for the rest of us to understand.
    Whatever. Enjoy the ride.
    NEXT!

55. Philtration says: Feb 3, 2010 9:51 PM

# PRLA says: February 3, 2010 2:59 PM
    ===================================
    Now you know how the rest of the country feels about the Saints.

56. Adam says: Feb 4, 2010 4:25 AM

No1billsfan says:
    February 3, 2010 3:26 PM
    Pervy Harvin says:
    February 3, 2010 3:02 PM
    **************************************
    “Chewbacca growls” is WAY MORE Relevant than ‘who dat’
    Thatd be great if Indy fans showed up in Chewbacca costumes.

57. This is not news says: Feb 4, 2010 3:25 PM

Please tell us more about what Dallas Clark doesn’t know. Inquiring minds and all that…

58. RaiderMight says: Feb 4, 2010 4:18 PM

Over time a whole lot better than the Saint fans. :)
    It’s cute that all of the sudden they are this history rich team. First SB appearance period. The Raiders are in a slump but our last SB trip was last decade, not ever.
    ———–
    ghostrider says:
    February 3, 2010 5:36 PM
    @RaiderMight
    LOL! And how’s that workin’ out for ya?

59. RaiderMight says: Feb 4, 2010 4:19 PM

In 2-4 years, the Caints will go back to being meaningless again.