Jerry Rice: "I'm not the greatest receiver"

Jerry Rice’s competitiveness is legendary.  That’s why it wasn’t a surprise to hear Rice, unprompted, bring up Terrell Owens’ recent comments on the Dan Patrick Show.

“Dan, here’s the thing.  I’m not the greatest receiver.  Terrell Owens is the greatest receiver,” Rice said, tongue firmly planted in cheek.  “That’s what I heard.  He made a statement saying that if he had Joe Montana and Steve Young, he’d probably be breaking my records now.  So Terrell is the greatest receiver.”

Rice denied that he was bothered by the talk.  “I’m not really that surprised by it. I never played the game for the records.  I played to win championships, and do great things with my teammates.”

That was a subtle dig at T.O.  This one was less subtle:

“I had some different quarterbacks, Matt Cavanaugh . . . It’s all about how the wide receiver can complement the quarterback to make that person look better. Joe [Montana] told me I added five years to his career. … It’s all about making things a little easier for that other person.”

Now that’s something Terrell Owens has never been accused of.

Permalink 81 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
81 Responses to “Jerry Rice: "I'm not the greatest receiver"”
  1. Geaux Saints 78 says: Feb 4, 2010 5:48 PM

Yeah right and Favre isn’t an attention hog and choke artist

2. Ralph Gre Nader says: Feb 4, 2010 5:50 PM

Translation: “SUCK IT, LOSER!”

3. Accordngs says: Feb 4, 2010 5:50 PM

But Jerry never had his own reality show!

4. Belichick for President says: Feb 4, 2010 5:51 PM

5. curbstomp says: Feb 4, 2010 5:53 PM

Sorry T.O and J.R your both wrong, Charles Rogers is the best reciever of all time

6. chris gardella says: Feb 4, 2010 5:53 PM

News is loosely defined as something your audience needs to know or something your audience wants to know, and this is neither of those things. This is a blog entry, at best. Save stuff like this for your blogspot site, Rosenthal. People come here for actual NFL news, not some blurb made by Jerry Rice that has nothing to do with, you know, actual “news.”

7. gobearsgo says: Feb 4, 2010 5:53 PM

Boom, roasted.

8. pxpunk03 says: Feb 4, 2010 5:57 PM

No one will ever be better than Jerry Rice. It’s more than just talent and skill. You have to have heart. Something Owens knows nothing about. Garcia, Mcnabb, and Romo aren’t bad players. Obviously not Montana/Young but good enough. I hope Owens goes to Cincy and says Carson Palmer isn’t a good QB. He is an idiot.

9. FunkFootball.Blogspot.com says: Feb 4, 2010 5:58 PM

Wide Receivers can often make Quarterbacks look better than they are, and T.O has definitely done that in his career, but for the most part it’s a pretty equal exchange. Good quarterbacks, like Peyton Manning, make average receivers like Austin Collie and Pierre Garcon, play at a much higher level than they would play with say, Daunte Culpepper or even David Gerrard.

10. pxpunk03 says: Feb 4, 2010 5:58 PM

I take back Romo being a good QB. He sucks! Go Niners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Bob Loblaw says: Feb 4, 2010 5:59 PM

Owens: Look at me!!
    Rice: Look at him!!
    This is what makes the great ones great and what keeps turds like TO from ever wearing any hardware!!

12. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Feb 4, 2010 6:00 PM

Rice is far too humble. Undoubtedly the best WR since Don Hutson, who played during the Mesozoic Era.

13. Audient says: Feb 4, 2010 6:00 PM

Sitting here reading this, I just remembered that T.O. once played for the 49ers. Wow, it seems so very long ago. But it is one more reason why Rice would take note of him.

14. bluestree says: Feb 4, 2010 6:00 PM

Oh what a BURN! Coming from Rice, that’s just wham! like a 2×4 in the face!

15. Capt. Jayrocks says: Feb 4, 2010 6:02 PM

What the hell does this have to do with Favre?
    Geaux Saints 76, It’s comments like this that make the rest of the league hate Saints fans. You get to one Superbowl in your whole life, and turn into the biggest bunch of Front running, $hit talkin people in the world. I’m not saying all saints fans are this way but christ have some sense. After the colts win by 20 this sunday, the saints will be back to 8-8 every year, for the next forty years, unless the league has 18 games then they will be 9-9.
    Go Colts

16. Golden_Niner says: Feb 4, 2010 6:06 PM

TO can suck my rod and tongue my hairy balls, the jealous little twat. Rice shouldn’t even acknowledge the mofo’s lame ass comments. He’s a reject that threw his career away by thinking it was all about him. I wouldn’t piss on TO if he were on fire.. what a bum!

17. raiders177 says: Feb 4, 2010 6:09 PM

Didn’t he play with Steve Young and just drop an assload of passes?

18. JoeyJoeJoeJr.Shabadoooo says: Feb 4, 2010 6:10 PM

now theres an athlete jersey chasers can be proud of screwing. not like, for example, the one i heard last week: ” i totally had sex with Blake Harfarber after the gopher basketball game.”

19. sven_ftw says: Feb 4, 2010 6:11 PM

rice & carter > t.o.

20. nedirect says: Feb 4, 2010 6:11 PM

Jerry Rice is the greatest player at any position to ever player in the NFL

21. Ray says: Feb 4, 2010 6:18 PM

LMAO @ Golden Niner!

22. downsouth49er says: Feb 4, 2010 6:26 PM

Rice should never acknowledge T.O. because when people mention the best WR to ever play the game, let alone the best player to ever play the game, they are going to mention Jerry Rice before they do T.O.

23. WashingtonRedstorms says: Feb 4, 2010 6:29 PM

Al Toon is the greatest receiver…

24. rbais2 says: Feb 4, 2010 6:29 PM

Rosenthal,
    Jerry does not dislike Terrell Owens!!! You are making too much out of the “shot” on TO!!
    Rice last year said that he would take TO on his team and that he was a hard worker. And that was a MORE controversial TO that he commeneted on. Plus, Rice wrote the Foreword to TO’s Finding Fitness book.
    Speaking of finding fitness, you still look like a skinny little shrimp that can’t still get boinked by Tiffany Simmons.

25. Florio-is-a-tool says: Feb 4, 2010 6:29 PM

Actually Don Hutson is the greatest WR to every play.
    Golden Niners, you want another dude to be in contact with your genitals?

26. vbedford says: Feb 4, 2010 6:39 PM

Jerry Rice is the greatest player at any position to ever player in the NFL.
    Period end of story.
    Yes there have been great players BUT.
    Jerry Rice is the greatest player at any position to ever player in the NFL.

27. jimbofungus11 says: Feb 4, 2010 6:39 PM

Sounds like Jerry’s still a little bitter that TO stole his thunder by grabbing 20 balls in Jerry’s last home game as a Niner. Regardless, TO couldnt carry Jerry’s jock, and I dont blame the Rice man for firing back. He is a legendary football player. TO is a legendary douchebag.

28. bills9951 says: Feb 4, 2010 6:41 PM

rice was taking a direct shot at TO and that is awesome. hey i for one admit i was jumping and screaming when TO arrived to Buffalo. When did I realize it was just a marketing ploy? Well probly could have been earlier if not for my blind optimism toward the Bills every August, but it was week 1. He didn’t get the ball enough, and we lost a heart-breaker at the end vs. NE. Just his body actions said it all and he went down hill from there. Poor attitude, we coulda won if i got the ball more, etc.. He’s a me-first LOSER, in the greatest of team sports no wonder he has so many problems. Anyone wants 1 play to describe TO’s era in Buffalo? Second game vs. the Jets, deep pass up left sideline to TO (somepoint in the second half of a close game). The ball slighlty underthrown by Fitzpatrick and Revis gets the pic. TO gave absolutely no effort to knock it down in fact he gave up before Revis even catches it, its a joke to the game. Just watch it. And even Revis admitted TO is a slouch. BYEBYE your SELFISH JERK. Your not even close to Rice. Not even top 10 either.

29. gunzofsteel says: Feb 4, 2010 6:41 PM

I can’t believe how the media ran with this. How they changed the quote. He never said he would beat J.R. He said ” I’d be close to Jerry Rice’s records.” Big freaking deal. Rodney Harrison is close to J.R.’s records. Randy Moss is close to J.R.’s records. I actually agree with T.O. on this one.
    With that said, NEDIRECT said it best. Jerry Rice is the greatest player at any position to ever play in the NFL.

30. troll_aikman8 says: Feb 4, 2010 6:43 PM

Yeah but can Rice run a slant with a Sharpie in his socks?

31. FireJerryJones says: Feb 4, 2010 6:43 PM

Not sure why Rice would stoop to T.O.’s level and throw Matt Cavanaugh under the bus like that. Not classy.You don’t see Montana getting into these discussions about him and Peyton Manning.
    Owens QB’s: Steve Young (Highest Passer Rating in NFL, Career – 96.8, 232 TD’s 33,124 career yards), Jeff Garcia (25,537 yards, 161 career TD’s), Donovan McNabb (32,873 career yards, 216 TD’s), Drew Bledsoe (251 TD’s, 44,611 career yards), Tony Romo (15,000 yards, 107 TD’s 29 Yrs old)…. Trent Edwards… incomplete..
    I guess TO played with a few slouches…

32. Play4Blood says: Feb 4, 2010 6:50 PM

Jayrocks, pipe down. Favre IS an attention whoring choke artist. Don’t get mad over honesty.

33. rbais2 says: Feb 4, 2010 6:51 PM

Gregg,
    you are making too big a deal out of this. Jerry does not dislike TO!!! Last year, Rice said that he would take TO on his team and that TO is a hard worker.
    And that was when he was called a team cancer.
    Rice also wrote the foreword to TO’s “Finding Fitness” book.
    Speaking of finding fitness, do some pushups!!! You look wimpy when u stand next to Florio!!!

34. Popeye says: Feb 4, 2010 7:00 PM

Jerry Rice was the original PRIMODONNA..remember he bitched about Montana winning the SB MVP? Said it should have been him…..what a D-BAG….once a crybaby always a crybaby….it seems they grow p*ssies in San Francisco

35. thegeneral says: Feb 4, 2010 7:27 PM

watch out fellas, julio jones is comin

36. mpoles says: Feb 4, 2010 7:32 PM

If you want to see why Rice is the best ever, consider how good the QBs he played with were when they had him on the field and when they didn’t.
    Someone with more time than I have could go and look up the stats for Montana, Young, Gannon, Jeff Kemp, Matt Cavanaugh, Bill Musgrave etc when they had Rice and compare them to when those QBs didn’t have Rice. The difference is huge.
    Rice made his QBs not just better, but a lot better. TO can actually claim this too, to a much lesser extent. But other modern WRs with big stats (Cris Carter, Marvin Harrison, Joe Horn even one of my all-time favourite players Tim Brown) cannot.
    If you’re looking for the modern WR who is closest to having a similar impact on his QB, I reckon it must be the hugely underrated Andre Johnson.

37. iusedtobeteddybayer says: Feb 4, 2010 7:36 PM

Joe Montana admitting to Jerry Rice a five year difference is, in and of itself, more NFL-mportant than ALL of Owens career.

38. hankstramcbsradio says: Feb 4, 2010 7:47 PM

How dare they not mention Marques Colston in the conversation as the greatest WR ever. Don’t they realize the Saints are the best team to ever take the field and all their players are the best ever at their positions? Don’t they realize the Saints fans are the best in the NFL and the Superdome is the best Stadium? When the hell are the Saints going to get the respect they deserve? How dare all of them disrespect the Saints.

39. SFrancis1680 says: Feb 4, 2010 7:54 PM

actually JOHN TAYLOR, who played on three Super Bowl teams with Rice, is a much better receiver than TO,…not from a numbers standpoint, but he could do everything TO could do, AND HE WAS BETTER AT IT… rac, great blocker, and he was a deep threat, he DIDN”T LEAD THE LEAGUE IN DROPPED PASSES, …Taylor & Rice, one of the most lethal WR tandems in NFL history

40. Bigbluefan says: Feb 4, 2010 7:57 PM

And tell me again how many rings does that ahole TO have?
    Rice was a great player in his time as to who is the best all time who the hell knows
    I do know it will never be TO

41. .VoxVeritas says: Feb 4, 2010 8:04 PM

“http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/1998/11/22/saints_49ers/”
    “I just work here. If nothing is asked of me, I guess I’m not going to do much. If you ask me if I’m having a good time, no. Is this something that might want to make you retire? Hell, yes. All I know is I’m not having a good time. Maybe it’s time for me to move on.”
    This was after a 31-20 win, people. And don’t think that I’ve forgotten about you being found cowering in the locked bathroom of a Mountain View “massage parlor” when the cops showed up, Jerry.
    “Massage therapy has been a part of my workout regimen for the majority of my career”
    Yeah sure, Jerry. I guess the “best ever” can’t get an off-season deep tissue massage at the world-reknown state-of-the-art 49er training facility. Get real. Then he threw his teammates under the bus, saying that he was sent there as a prank.
    Great player though, very possibly the “best ever” if there ever was one.

42. saintsfan66 says: Feb 4, 2010 8:05 PM

Jerry Rice is ten times the person and athlete that loud mouth TO is and ever will be..
    Way to be humble Jerry!!

43. jobob247 says: Feb 4, 2010 8:09 PM

It’s also fun to watch the turds point out the uber turd Moss has finally broken a Rice record…. The TD record that Rice in fact set in 12 games. While it took Moss a full 16 to get to 23. BFD.

44. saintsfan66 says: Feb 4, 2010 8:10 PM

“Go the class route like Moss and Brady will”??
    Wtf!! Just when ya thought ya heard it all!!
    You don’t know Randy Moss that well do you?

45. SpartaChris says: Feb 4, 2010 8:12 PM

Belichick for President says:
    February 4, 2010 5:51 PM
    ==================================
    Yeah, Moss did in 16 what Rice did in only 12. That makes Rice much better in my mind. Rice would have easily had a lot more had there not been a strike that season.
    And Moss is an asshole, so I don’t blame Rice for not calling him.

46. The Polish Rifle says: Feb 4, 2010 8:12 PM

Belichick for President says
    ” Actually Mr. Rice, it’s Randy Moss that is the Greatest Of All Time. You know, the one who broke your TD record and then you played the bitch roll by refusing to call and congradulate him.
    Please stop trying to cling to relevancy, Mr. Rice. Your time is done, go the class route like Jim Brown and Barry Sanders did, and Randy Moss and Peyton Manning will do. ”
    I CONGRATULATE(that is how you spell it, moron)you on being one of, if not the most uninformed NFL fans to post here.
    Jerry Rice- 1st in receptions- 1,549
    Randy Moss- 10th in receptions- 926
    Jerry Rice- 1st in receiving yards- 22,895
    Randy Moss- 6th in receiving yards- 14,465
    Jerry Rice- 1st in receiving TDs- 197
    Randy Moss- 2nd in receiving TDs- 148
    Jerry Rice- 1st in total Tds- 208
    Randy Moss- 4th in total TDs- 149
    Hate to tell you dumbass, but Jerry Rice is VERY RELEVANT when talking about the NFL & its greats. Get used to it, moron. I’m guessing those 4 records will still have Jerry’s name next to them when Randy retires too. Maybe not, but I’m willing to go out on line & say they will.
    Why would Rice need to call Moss for breaking his record? Would it have been nice for him to do that, yes. Is it mandatory, no, so STFU with your stupid ass, uninformed comments regarding perhaps one of, if not the GREATEST NFL PLAYER EVER. I also love how you act like Randy Moss is some real classy guy. I guess you haven’t followed football for that long to make such a dumb ass comment.

47. flowerpot1929 says: Feb 4, 2010 8:15 PM

Rice is over-reacting! While there is no denying the greatness of Jerry Rice, he is of the immortals and whose name will be mentioned for football’s eternity, the fact is that Terrell Owens despite certain perceptions, has been a sought after and productive player.

48. TexasStar says: Feb 4, 2010 8:28 PM

hilarious! not only the story, but the comments!
    keep on rocking, PFT!

49. .VoxVeritas says: Feb 4, 2010 8:30 PM

“Someone with more time than I have could go and look up the stats for Montana”
    Stop right there. Joe Montana won two Super Bowls and was a double Super Bowl MVP before Rice even showed up. Steve Young played his entire stint with the 49ers with Jerry Rice. He wasn’t very good with the Bucs. 11 TDs, 21 INTs and around a 60 passer rating in two seasons.
    “actually JOHN TAYLOR, who played on three Super Bowl teams with Rice, is a much better receiver than TO”
    Taylor was a great #2 WR but that’s all he was. Plus he had substance abuse issues. He liked to powder his nose a little bit.

50. slipkid says: Feb 4, 2010 8:30 PM

hell, she-ho takes years OFF QB careers…

51. this class sucks says: Feb 4, 2010 8:38 PM

@The Polish Rifle
    Well played sir. Allow me to add to your argument. Randy Moss did not break Jerry Rice’s record for most TDs in a season he has the record for most TD receptions in a 16 game season. A different record than Rice broke, and still has. I wouldn’t even put Moss at 2nd all time or 3rd.
    1st. Jerry Rice
    2nd. Don Hutson
    3rd. Issac Bruce (before you call me crazy look at his numbers, but this is certainly arguable)

52. .VoxVeritas says: Feb 4, 2010 8:38 PM

“It amazes me how quickly everyone forgets Rice’s biggest year as a professional he had neither Montana nor Young for the entire season. 1995 Rice had 1848 yards on 122 catchs.”
    Yeah well Young had 447 pass attempts that year so it’s not like he missed a whole lot of time. I think he started 11 games. The 49ers didn’t miss much by having to use Grbac. In fact Grbac had a higher completion percentage and higher yards per attempt with comparable TD and INT percentages. And a higher passer rating.

53. dacoach says: Feb 4, 2010 8:54 PM

Different times. Different rules. Can’t compare any receivers from past to present. My sister could get open with the rules now for DB’s.

54. jobob247 says: Feb 4, 2010 8:58 PM

@ VoxVeritas .
    Thanks for proving my point for me. Bravo.
    Plug Velvet Elvis in and the 49ers didn’t miss a beat and Rice still put up 1848 yards.

55. Bart says: Feb 4, 2010 9:07 PM

Koren Robinson would win any drinking contest..

56. B.Rubble says: Feb 4, 2010 9:09 PM

“Anyone disagrees that Rice is the best WR of all time needs to go look at all the numbers and if they still think he is not, than they are simply wrong. It would be almost impossible for anyone to come close to what his numbers are, but even if they do the rules now make it so much easier it would be very different.”
    Well, playing the devil’s advocate I will mention Rice played in a great system and went up against some of the worst cornerbacks in the division when playing the Falcons, Rams and Saints, so it was very easy to pad stats. Jerry Gray was probably the only Pro-Bowler in the conference till Deion came along.

57. this class sucks says: Feb 4, 2010 9:17 PM

@vox
    I don’t understand what your are saying about
    Steve Young, what is your point (I’m really asking no sarcasm)?

58. B.Rubble says: Feb 4, 2010 9:23 PM

“More revisionist history. Does anybody but me remember Rice with a huge smile on his face after a loss in which he caught 10 passes, then whining that maybe it was time to move on from the 49ers because they didn’t want to throw to him after a win in which he caught 3 passes just a week later?”
    Or the time when he was with the Raiders and his streak of catching at least one pass a game was broken. He was visibly upset about it and tried to play it off as he was upset about the loss. The guy was all about himself. Ask Steve Largent.

59. ICEWALKER says: Feb 4, 2010 9:31 PM

Belichick for President says:
    February 4, 2010 5:51 PM
    Randy Moss and class? Come on, now. Running over a police officer classy? Squirting water at an official is classy? Leaving the field before the game ends because he’s a sore loser is considered classy?

60. WhoDey_Man says: Feb 4, 2010 9:34 PM

jerry rice is the SINGLE greatest player to ever put on pads. EVER. Single greatest route runner of all time, and one of the hardest working men in professional sports. Consumate professional, never talked smack about his teammates and never once cared about the accolades and records he produced, measuring his own career only with the championship rings he possesses on his own fingers. T.O. didn’t have montana or young, true, but he also consistently proved to the entire universe he is the most selfish man in sports (this just in- bret favre’s pissed at my post, claiming he himself as sports’ most arrogant narcissist.). you can’t compare T.O. with rice because there is no comparison to make. Rice has the records, and T.O. has his mouth.
    Anyone who actually attempts to compare Rice with the likes of T.O. and Randy Moss is clearly demented, and has no right to ever post anything football related on any message board ever, for all of eternity.
    FACE.

61. econ0003 says: Feb 4, 2010 9:39 PM

@The Polish Rifle
    You forgot to mention that Jerry Rice played for 20 years while Randy Moss has only played for 12. The stat comparison is not very favorable for Rice when you take that into account. If Moss has a long career he will likely break all of Rice’s records.
    It is very unlikely that Moss will have a similar amount of SB rings at the end of his career. He also hasn’t had the opportunity to play on the dominant offensive/defensive 49ers teams. The 2007 patriots is the only exception. It will always be difficult to compare the two for this reason.

62. Cnote182 says: Feb 4, 2010 10:05 PM

You Pats fans must really be retarded or doing meth because anyone who thinks that moss should even be mentioned in the same breath as RICE is clearly brain dead. It is quite simple, moss disappears when he does not get the ball, he’s a terrible downfield blocker and he can only catch long bombs. That is why his numbers are so ridiculous. Does anyone remember the two years that moss spent in Oakland? Neither do I because he gave up on his team and was a joke. That’s why the Pats got him for a freggin 3rd round pick. And thanks to Belicheat his career was rejuvenated at least for two years anyway and moss became this symbol of the comeback story even though he used to like to run cops over in his car when he was in Minnesota.
    When moss loses a step, his career is over. RICE lost two or three steps and was a relevant reciever for 19 of his twenty years. Owens is a better reciever than moss, at least he’ll give you 100% and turn a 5 yard catch into a 40 yard TD. When was the last time moss did that?

63. sdffa11 says: Feb 4, 2010 10:08 PM

rice has the rings and the records. there’s nothing left to discuss, better qb or not. owens couldnt hold jerry’s jock. same with moss.

64. geek says: Feb 4, 2010 10:12 PM

Wait a minute. Didn’t TO play with Young?! He had a better time with Garcia and McNabb than he ever did with Young, yet he still thinks if he’d had Rice’s QBs he’d be better?! What a joke! Rice did a great job of saying so with a touch of class that will always escape TO.

65. .VoxVeritas says: Feb 4, 2010 10:12 PM

“I don’t understand what your are saying about
    Steve Young, what is your point (I’m really asking no sarcasm)?”
    Like I said, that the 49ers didn’t lose much by having to use Grbac while Young was injured.

66. Wardo says: Feb 4, 2010 10:17 PM

Rice’s tantrum on the sideline with the Raiders after not getting a catch in a game and how he ended his career, bitching about how he wasn’t made a starter on the Broncos makes me think alot less of him. He was another me first player but with great talent. He also hung around alot longer then he should have and made himself look bad in the process.

67. .VoxVeritas says: Feb 4, 2010 10:35 PM

“Wait a minute. Didn’t TO play with Young?! He had a better time with Garcia and McNabb than he ever did with Young”
    With Garcia, anyway. He did have a 1200 yard/14 TD season with McNabb, though… before the conflict he had with McNabb boiled into a suspension so I wouldn’t say he had a great time with McNabb in any sense of the word. Had three seasons of 1300+ yards, 13+ TDs with Garcia. 34 TDs in two seasons and change with Romo including his highest per-catch average in ’07, so he had his best numbers with Garcia and Romo.

68. Tebow's a Douche says: Feb 4, 2010 10:39 PM

Many of Rice’s records will never be broken. Cudos to him for poking his head in and critiquing the drama queen attitude of many of today’s “greatest” receivers.
    Rice was the greatest. I’ll never get over the fact that he ran every catch he could in for a TD in practice. Yeah A.I. Practice. Bums like Moss and T.O. won’t ever get near his career numbers.

69. Vaxman says: Feb 4, 2010 11:09 PM

Yeah, like his last touchdown catch as a seacock on Monday night when he clearly pushed off like a champ and didn’t get that flag… And didn’t moss refuse to acknowledge the importance of the rice’s TD record when he broke it? Stay classy

70. TheWontonMan says: Feb 4, 2010 11:10 PM

Three words, First Down Freddie!

71. stnmmc says: Feb 4, 2010 11:16 PM

# gunzofsteel says: February 4, 2010 6:41 PM
    =============================
    Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn’t Rodney Harrison a safety?

72. scrapdawg12 says: Feb 4, 2010 11:30 PM

Terrell does it all for show. Jerry Rice is the best receiver I’ve ever seen. T.O. was good but not close to Rice. Maybe if Terrell wouldn’t have run himself out of Philly or Dallas he could end up breaking some of Rice’s records. What a fool but I’d still wish the EAgles brought him back.

73. Icon says: Feb 5, 2010 12:17 AM

Rice: “I’m not the greatest receiver.”
    – agreed – there is no such thing as ‘greatest ever’ anything. There’s no consensus and never will be, and even if everyone in the world ‘agreed’ with it or whatever else in question, it wouldn’t validate – ‘more’ or ‘most’ does not indicate greateness, be it a Rice, E. Smith, Marino or Favre, whomever, etc.
    Popularity contests as stats same affirm nothing… bias & subjective opinion will always be debatable. There is NO definitive measure, just style points. For my money (& I’ve seen all the WRs since ’56), Rice isn’t in the top 5 – that he benefited mightily from rule changes some 30+ years ago makes his stats as his peers same suspect.
    The best ever? Give me the following guys over any the latter day modern era stat ‘fraud’ WRs: Don Hutson (the only one I never got to see in person), Lance Alworth, Otis Taylor, Charley Taylor, Paul Warfield, Don Maynard – and I can name another5 that were (at minimum) just as good as Rice was.
    Yesterday Was Better…

74. Adam says: Feb 5, 2010 6:36 AM

In the end they’re all sensitive divas getting into catfights.

75. runtheball says: Feb 5, 2010 9:54 AM

Rice is as big a jackass as TO and Moss, but he usually tries to hide it. Rice’s stats are somewhat skewed. He was the first receiver to get away with pushing off on a regular basis. He played with 2 of the most accurate Qbs that put the ball in the perfect spot. Those short slants that turned into 60 yard touchdowns would not have happened if he had a McNabb throwing at his feet or a VY throwing the ball over his head. His catch total is the product of the WCO and catching a lot of 3-5 yard passes, to his credit he had the strength and speed to stretch them to larger gains. For most of his career the 3 other teams in the 49ers division were 3 of the worst in the league(Saints, Falcons, Rams). He put up a lot of 4th quarter stats in the 6 games each year against these team. He was a joke at the end of his career. Rice was great, but much like Marvin Harrison, it was the Qb that was most responsible for the greatness.

76. HamBurghlar says: Feb 5, 2010 10:55 AM

@The Polish Rifle: Amen, brotha. Especially since the guy can’t spell, DEFINITELY refutes his post.. Cmon MAN, if you don’t think Jerry Rice was the best to play the game (at least to this point), there’s something wrong with you. Then again, there seems to be an air of douchiness up there in Boston and common sense isn’t abundant..

77. Ron says: Feb 5, 2010 12:37 PM

TO is a GREAT receiver, first ballot Hall of Famer, but come on, he is no Jerry Rice. TO seems to forget that he DID play with Steve Young for 3 years. He did turn Garcia into a Pro-Bowler, but McNabb was a Pro Bowler long before TO went to Philly and Romo was a Pro Bowler a year after TO left. The ONLY receiver that can make the arguement that TO made about having Rice-like numbers is Randy Moss. Look, in Randy’s first 7 years when he was a Viking, he played with Brad Johnson, Randall Cunningham (who came out of retirement), Jeff George, Daunte Culpepper, Bubby Brister, Spergon Wynn. None of those guys made any Pro Bowls after playing with Moss and even with playing those guys, Moss put up Rice-like numbers during those 7 years. When he finally played with a Hall of Fame QB, in 2 years with Brady, Moss averaged 90 catches and 1378 yards and 18 TD’s. Now I still think that Jerry Rice is the greatest receiver who has ever lived, but Randy Moss deserved to be mentioned as someone who if he had played with a Hall of Fame QB his whole career would have came close to breaking some of Jerry’s records..

78. tudefit says: Feb 6, 2010 9:50 PM

I remember watching a game and Rice upset with Young – right after Young threw a touchdown to another receiver. He was telling Young he was open and was upset he hadn’t looked his way.
    His trying to appear humble doesn’t get it.

79. jonesy1124 says: Feb 7, 2010 12:20 AM

Just as a follow up to the genius that spoke about Moss, who has 0 rings, as the greatest ever…..
    He broke Rices TD record in 4 more games. Rice did it in a strike shortened season…. 12 games….He also didnt take games off like Randy, and oh yeah he has 3 rings and a league MVP….And who gives a rats ass about him wanting the ball…so the hell what???? Every competitor wants the ball….So Moss with 0 rings, no mvp awards is the greatest ever??? And I agree with how athletic and great he is, by this year Moss should have positioned himself to sneeze and break Rice’s records. And he should be hands down the best ever. But walking off the field early, and taking plays off has held him back. Now we can defend Randy and say it’s garbage and it’s all speculation, blah,blah blah, but that rumor wouldn’t ever follow Rice.

80. Tim says: Feb 7, 2010 4:21 PM

Did a commenter up there seriously try to compare Romo to Montana?!?!

81. a.bobby says: Feb 9, 2010 7:55 PM

You mean when Moss scored 23 TDs in 16 games? Weak. Rice scored 22 in 12 games. If it wasn’t for the strike Moss wouldn’t be anywhere close.
    Go the class route like Jim Brown? Are you serious? The man who ignored LT when talking about the great RBs? The guy who was Maurice Clarett’s apologist through all his academic issues? He’s no more classy than Tiki Barber.
    Go home with that ess. I guess you can’t expect anything more from another obnoxious Boston fan.