Lockout talk keeps building

The prevailing thought among the media members covering the Super Bowl is that, when push comes to shove, the NFL and the players union will get a new labor deal done.

As Jason Whitlock of FOXSports.com correctly explains,the term “insanity” wouldn’t be strong enough to describe the league’s decision to have a work stoppage at a time when it enjoys unprecedented popularity.

But we’ve picked up a distinct undercurrent that the talk of a lockout really isn’t posturing or bluffing by the league, and that there are enough owners prepared to shut it down if the players refuse to accept the last, best proposal that the league makes in 2011.

We hope the undercurrent is incorrect, but we’re starting to fear that it isn’t.

On that happy note, I’m heading upstairs to see what NFLPA Executive Director De Smith has to say.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Union
20 Responses to “Lockout talk keeps building”
  1. Larry David says: Feb 4, 2010 3:34 PM

There is 0% chance of a lockout. Both sides aren’t that stupid, they’ll get something done eventually.

2. Emoney says: Feb 4, 2010 3:35 PM

This will absolutely suck if there’s a lockout. From February to July, the only thing I truely look forward to is football to start. If there’s no season played in two years, I’ll be pissed. I can’t say I’ll never watch it again, but it’ll be very depressing. Makes for a long winter.

3. Rex Grossman says: Feb 4, 2010 3:36 PM

Seeing as NFL football is the only thing I have in life to look forward to, this would be disappointing, on account of my terrible life.

4. Chapnasty2 says: Feb 4, 2010 3:39 PM

I hope the NFL sticks to their guns. These players get far too much money to do what they do anyways. And before anyone starts crying about 3 year careers and whatnot think about how much these guys make a year. They can easy rack up close to a million dollars at a minimum in 3 years and when combined with a College education, anyone with that amount of money should be able to survive in the real world. The problem is, athletes spend their entire lives living in something other than the real world.

5. Phyxsius says: Feb 4, 2010 3:39 PM

With Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Drew Brees all heading into their last contract year, what are the problems/limitations/differences in constructing their new contracts with this CBA mess?

6. Ollie says: Feb 4, 2010 3:45 PM

All of this makes me sick. Even the way the economy is today greed will still prevail. I have watched three neighbors just loose their jobs. They would have gladly taken a reduction in pay to keep their jobs. If these players don’t want to play and risk their health for the hundreds of thousands of dollars that they make, let them go and see how hard it is to find a real job to support their families.

7. NinerNation says: Feb 4, 2010 3:52 PM

I hope there is a lockout. The players are in no way, shape, or form prepared to lose their means of incredible income.
    It won’t take long for them to break and come running back. I mean, who’s kidding who here, the owners have the leverage because they have the money. They’ve successfully built their empires, these players….they’ve already spent most of their money, what else are they really going to do besides football? That underwater basket-weaving degree is really going to help the 30% of players that actually graduated from college.
    The owners should really stick it to the players in the new CBA meetings. The players have been living fat from the last deal that Tagliabue forced down everyones throats…it’s time for some payback.

8. certaincoachditka says: Feb 4, 2010 3:55 PM

NFL castoffs and any-letter-FL players will fill out the rosters til NFLPA superstars come to their minds.

9. Bob S. says: Feb 4, 2010 3:57 PM

on showtimes inside the nfl last night mawae and assosciation lawyer said owners want players to take an 18% cut across the board but refuse to divulge how much money the teams made. only team they know is green bay who made i believe $30 million profit in smallest market in league and only reason they know that it had to be published because the team is publicly owned.

10. rodstiffington says: Feb 4, 2010 3:58 PM

I refuse to read Fat-lock’s articles, but did he blame the white media or ESPN for the looming lockout?

11. spliffbunker says: Feb 4, 2010 4:21 PM

both sides better remember 1982 & 87….
    there may be a much bigger backlash this time…
    PSL’s, high ticket prices,blackouts have not been good moves…I would think that televising home games ( which started around 73 if I recall )maybe the biggest single reason the NFL is where it is today…multiple blackouts in multiple cities in the current economy isnt going to help
    if these 2 sides cant get together & get an agreement together that does not involve any kind of work stoppage I can see them negotiating
    a new contract with VS &/or ALT in 2020
    & they will deserve it

12. BOO3LEGS says: Feb 4, 2010 4:29 PM

It is all the owners fault to begin with. They are the ones who pay out these out of the world salaries. The owners are the only ones who can stop the insanity by not creating these bidding wars for players. If all was equal they should have a base salary (based on years accrued) for all players and escalators for performance. Base salary is all guarenteed, and make them play for the money. This would take care of all problems.

13. crispy says: Feb 4, 2010 4:32 PM

This is the best time for Manning, Brady and Brees to re-up their contracts.
    Their salaries are being determined during an uncapped year and then the new salary caps will be calculated with these guys in mind.

14. CapsLockKey says: Feb 4, 2010 4:35 PM

If the NFL ends up with a lockout, screw them. I’ll just focus on college football from there on out. No worries of them having a work stoppage EVER.

15. geaux says: Feb 4, 2010 5:12 PM

They are going to kill the golden goose.
    Greed is depressing when it blinds the reality that everyone assumes they are fighting over an ever-existent pie. The truth is, if they do something so stupid as to have a work stoppage over money during or immediately following such an economic downturn, it will turn off so many people that they pie they thought they were fighting over will be miniscule in comparison to what they have now.
    WAKE UP, GOODELL AND SMITH!

16. Roger the Dodger says: Feb 4, 2010 6:21 PM

I used to be a big pro baseball fan. I remember watching Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays play as a kid, and loved all of the strategy and intricate game-within-a-game tactics. I was one of the first Rotisserie Baseball players, starting about 3 years after the whole concept was created.
    But then, the lockout came along. I got disgusted with the whole mess, and haven’t watched a pro baseball game since.
    Now, a sport that I’ve loved and followed since the early 60′s threatens to do the same thing. I swear, if the NFL has a lockout, I’m gone and won’t be back.
    I can get enough jollies watching college ball, or heck, even peewee leagues. I don’t need to spend my time feeding the egos of millionaires and billionaires who are too stupid to realize that they’ll be killing the golden goose with their greed.
    And I’m not alone.

17. MkePackFan says: Feb 4, 2010 6:44 PM

Bob S. says: February 4, 2010 3:57 PM
    ——————————————–
    Uh, no. The Packers made $4M last year (after investment losses and taxes). Here’s the source… http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2009/06/20/1/
    Considering the Packers are in the top 3rd in revenues and have no stadium debt, I can only imagine what the books look like for the rest of the league that make less and do have huge debt loads.

18. Bigbluefan says: Feb 4, 2010 8:27 PM

Even if the Packers made 30 Mil so what its called profit its called running a business players are employees not partners this is not Russia this is the USA no matter what that ahole in DC says
    The owners take all the risks the players get paid player gets hurt he gets paid
    Players play like shit they get paid
    People dont come to games owners get hurt payroll is still payroll no discounts for shitty play or getting hurt
    How many millions did vick screw the Falcons out of?
    Owners take the risk all the players risk is getting hurt and if they have any clue they have ins policies covering there bodies.
    Yes they have ins for that and yes the cost is high but for what these aholes get paid they can afford it they man buy one less car or house or bling but if they are smart they are covering all they have there ass

19. smashmouthd says: Feb 4, 2010 9:23 PM

“there are enough owners prepared to shut it down if the players refuse to accept the last, best proposal that the league makes in 2011.”
    God I hope so, the only thing worse that greedy owners are a bunch of idiotic spoiled greedy players that don’t know when enough is enough.

20. jkane1978 says: Feb 5, 2010 3:05 PM

Is anyone else tired or the whos making more money- the billionaire owners or the millionaire players? Similar to one of the previous responders I used to be a huge fan of “america’s pastime”- what happened to that- it was replaced by the NFL when they went of strike.
    On the positive side at least I won’t have to pay for a new Vikings stadium so those billionaire owners can pay their overpaid, unintelligant thugs to embarrass themselves and the fan base they represent by getting kicked out of the probowl (of which they should have never been a part of). Then as a thank you they charge so much for tickets that I cannot afford to take my family of 4 to the games. I’m tired of the who is getting screwed worse discussion- all involved should be embarrassed!