McKinnie downplays Pro Bowl dismissal

Vikings left tackle Bryant McKinnie was kicked out of the Pro Bowl last week for skipping back-to-back practices.

“They tried to make it seem like it was because [I was] at the club and couldn’t get up,” McKinnie said.  “No.  I had called [agent Drew Rosenhaus] and told Drew I wanted to withdraw.”
Immediately after his dismissal last Saturday, McKinnie took to Twitter to explain himself.  He claimed to have phoned the NFC squad’s trainer about some sort of injury that would prevent him from playing.
To the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, McKinnie didn’t say anything about his alleged conversation with the trainer.  Rosenhaus, to our knowledge, didn’t qualify for this year’s Pro Bowl staff.
“There wasn’t anything bad behind it,” McKinnie said.  “I just feel that they made it more than it really was.  It wasn’t like I got locked up somewhere and couldn’t play in the game because I was in jail.  That’s how they made it seem.  I just didn’t know that it was going to be that serious.”
“Anyone who watched the game would know it wasn’t like they were going that hard,” McKinnie said.  “If you watched the game, [the pass rushers] were stopping in front of the quarterback.”
It appears the club McKinnie was probably at last Sunday night televised the Pro Bowl.
Cool club.
According to the Star-Tribune, the NFL is still weighing whether to fine McKinnie. In our view, the league should act without anymore delay.
Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
38 Responses to “McKinnie downplays Pro Bowl dismissal”
  1. rjaxx says: Feb 4, 2010 11:15 PM

I wish guys like this weren’t in the NFL. He seems real appreciative.

2. armchair_probowler says: Feb 4, 2010 11:15 PM

god damn vikings…

3. IAVikefan says: Feb 4, 2010 11:19 PM

Must be a slow news night or something on here. Why don’t you post another story about Peterson’s fumbles and the chances of Favre returning? We haven’t had any of that lately…

4. HistoryMan31 says: Feb 4, 2010 11:23 PM

A perfect example of a guy who feels a great sense of entitlement, but no sense of ownership!

5. lebowski says: Feb 4, 2010 11:25 PM

Until Bus Cook reveals photos of McKinnie’s alleged injuries, I won’t believe it.

6. Jimmysmith. says: Feb 4, 2010 11:30 PM

I just had some man milk and im full now ,but I saw there is a Packer fan who stole my name ,maybe its my ex honey bob _nelson stalking me.Who ever came up with the idea of wearing cheese on your head at a football game?How gay can you get?I just took a shit and guess what,it looked and smelled better then a packer fan,I spose that is not to hard to belive.

7. Percy Nugz says: Feb 4, 2010 11:35 PM

McKinnie is like a necessary evil being a Vikings fan. He is a decent LT but vastly overpaid and has proven himself to be a doofus. I wish left tackles weren’t so coveted so we could cut his ass!!

8. scrapdawg12 says: Feb 4, 2010 11:38 PM

Mckinnie should be kicked out of the league. Little kids look up to him and he embarrasses everybody. Then on top of that Peters and Diehl had to play the whole darn game. Mckinnie should be lined up and everyone on the team got to take a good swift kick to the nuts on him. That would be a fair dismissal.

9. Akron Rules says: Feb 4, 2010 11:43 PM

It would be easier to take complaints from certain idiots if they weren’t named IAVikefan.

10. Raider Pride says: Feb 5, 2010 12:18 AM

Do not blame Bryant McKinnie.
    It is not his fault. He was raised this way. His parents never installed respect, appreciation, gratitude, responsibility and common sense in this child.
    Do not blame him. Who ever raised this child taught him that having no common sense or respect it is the right thing to do.
    Whoever brought his poor child up, is responsible for the fact was charged for his involvement in the 2005 Minnesota Vikings boat cruise scandal.
    Whoever raised this young man installed in him that is is OK to allegedly pick up a naked woman, place her on the bar and perform cunnilingus on her in front of the crew and other guests.
    It is not his fault he was raised on the principles that after you do the Bar cunnilingus thing… it is procedure to sit in deck chair and receive fellatio from a women, which was also observed by the crew in a public area of the boat.
    Do not blame this child… Blame his Mother, or Grandmother, or Sister… or who ever was the Motherly inspiration while raising this child.
    It is about time we stopped blaming the child, and it is time we all respected how that poor child was raised.

11. SpartaChris says: Feb 5, 2010 12:40 AM

Complete douche.

12. zachintosh66 says: Feb 5, 2010 12:41 AM

Instead of going clubbing he shoulda rented a boat… oh wait. Nevermind.

13. Snuff Smith says: Feb 5, 2010 12:52 AM

“He is also unconcerned about the Giants’ David Diehl and Eagles’ Jason Peters, who were forced to play the entire game because McKinnie didn’t show.”
    This ass clown should owe these two class-acts an apology.

14. ctown19 says: Feb 5, 2010 1:03 AM

“I’m fat, lazy and supid, but its not like I was locked up in jail”…..this time. They call it the “U” because most guys from there cant spell “university”.

15. Jimmysmith. says: Feb 5, 2010 2:51 AM

ctown19 says:
    February 5, 2010 1:03 AM
    You just described all the packer fans.

16. Tompadre says: Feb 5, 2010 4:07 AM

lebowski says:
    February 4, 2010 11:25 PM
    ==========================
    I’m a Viking fan and that was pretty freakin hilarious!
    scrapdawg –
    Mom wants the computer, and besides, it’s late and you have school in the morning.
    McKinnie’s an idiot who doesn’t seem capable of learning from past mistakes and shirks off responsibility. Too many like him in the league for my tastes. For what its worth though, and this by no means is an excuse, I read on the Strib web-site that McKinnie did mention telling the trainer. But far be it for PFT to let facts get in the way of making a story juicier. Also, Rosenhaus doesn’t have to be on the Pro Bowl staff for his involvement to be significant. As McKinnie’s rep he should also be making sure everything is communicated properly.

17. Barmy says: Feb 5, 2010 6:13 AM

I season with the Favre and he’s already learnt its all about yourself.

18. JimmySmith says: Feb 5, 2010 6:39 AM

If the Vikings were smart (no evidence of that, it appears they have trouble telling the difference between 11 and 12, as in men in the huddle), they would independently fine McKinnie prior to the league taking any action.
    Both the Vikings and McKinnie are suffering from a bad PR image, the Vikings hiding behind the Minnesota state court judge (one of the few who actually buys tickets) to protect their illegal substance abusing players and McKinnie has a host of issues from licking hookers to metal pipe skull bashing. By fining McKinnie first, the Vikings could attempt to take the moral high ground (using the words “moral high ground” and the Vikings in the same sentence is a rare as a sighting of the Lombardi trophy in Minneapolis, obviously just on its way thru to someplace else)

19. DogCollar says: Feb 5, 2010 7:07 AM

As a Viking fan for the last 42 years I must say that I have had it with McKinnie. His off the field behavior history is certainly worthy of suspension; but, more importantly, his on the field play is greatly overrated. His mind is not on the game or doing his job and his play nearly got his QB seriously injured. It’s past time for the Vikings to rid themselves of this embarrasement.

20. tombrookshire says: Feb 5, 2010 7:21 AM

Career impact, on a scale of one to ten, ten being worst: zero.

21. SUKIT says: Feb 5, 2010 7:22 AM

More like… NFL is flippin LAME and PRO BOWL is a flippin joke F OFF league. Vikes should be in SUPERTURD we f’d up, league gave us no chance to WIN. Why would I want to play in a game that represents the NoFunLeague dictatorship of Roger SUCK@SS. Diehl hasn’t played in a month and Peters hasn’t in 3 weeks they can play.

22. Route36West says: Feb 5, 2010 7:35 AM

Ya good plan McKinnie name drop Rosenhaus like anyone believes a word that comes out of that mans mouth.
    You are full of it. You got kicked off the pro-bowl team you bum. Ban this man from pro-bowl voting all together. Not from the games from the voting. Obviously thats all the guy cares about is the recognition so take it away from him.
    And o ya fine him.

23. IAVikefan says: Feb 5, 2010 7:44 AM

@Akron Rules- It would also be easier to take a rebuttal to a complaint from certain idiots(read Akron Rules) if they actually had something football related to talk about instead of just bitching about another person posting…. are you out of junior high yet?

24. DogCollar says: Feb 5, 2010 8:04 AM

JimmySmith,
    While I agree that the Vikings should Fine first, I am not sure they can while the league is investigating. I think that’s a part of the NFLPA’s deal with owners. I may be wrong, but that’s what I remember.
    What the Vikings CAN do, is trade him now, before the draft…or, cut him after the draft. I hope that he is NOT playing for the Vikings in 2010.

25. GBPackers says: Feb 5, 2010 8:44 AM

Jimmysmith. says:
    February 4, 2010 11:30 PM
    ————————————————–
    Thats 2 posts I was on this morning, and that is the same exact thing you said on the Saints post. LOL, get a damn life (or job for that matter).

26. Emoney says: Feb 5, 2010 9:02 AM

Jimmysmith. says:
    February 4, 2010 11:30 PM
    ——————————————
    You could wear blonde wigs, makeup, and all purple. Now that is gay.
    A stadium full of drag queens in a state that contributes nothing to the rest of the country.

27. Calistin says: Feb 5, 2010 9:06 AM

JimmySmith,
    Same team that chokes every good season they’ve ever had away. That’s who.
    Call for you Jimmy, it’s homophobes anynomous, they want to know what abuse you suffered to be such a hateful, ignorant prick. So full of hate, your family must be awful proud.

28. JimmySmith says: Feb 5, 2010 10:05 AM

Calistin says: JimmySmith, Vikings fans calling Packers gay for cheese on their head? Who is wearing purple clothes, blond wigs, and has a crossdresser for a HC?
    You got the wrong JimmySmith, the other Jimmysmith (note the small s on Smith) is the pole sucking Viking fan attempting to confuse PFT readers with me, the original.
    For the record, I agree with you that no head football coach would get caught dead wearing women’s clothes, or at least no real head football coach. But if you can have a B list actor represent you in the US senate and a pro wrestler as your governor, Childress as a head coach is no longer a big stretch. Especially if your fan base knows nothing of football.

29. McWest says: Feb 5, 2010 10:10 AM

I’ll take the unpopular stance. ………money
    In the grand scheme of a pro athlete’s income, $22,000 probably doesn’t mean much. But I don’t see any of the players refusing their checks for playing in the Pro Bowl.
    If McKinnie was too injured to play, by not bowing out, he took $22,000 (losing team’s pay) out of the pocket of whoever was the next guy in line to take his place.

30. Jimmysmith. says: Feb 5, 2010 11:40 AM

I see this fake jimmysmith is here again, why would you be so low as to take my name and use it on here?But then again you are a packerfan and nothing is to low for them.I know, I used to be one.Oh and im not homophobic which is a term that makes no sense as im not afraid of gays as I am gay,just ask bob_nelson if he ever comes on here again.

31. purplepuzzyeatrz says: Feb 5, 2010 12:34 PM

In your opinion?????? FLorio you act like you are anything more than a silly blog owner…Its funny who has a sense of entitlement…..FLorio acts like this is more than a group of football junkies that have nothing better to do, than to comment on the junk that is posted here..This site is no more accurate than a stone and chistle….I laugh everytime i see a breaking story…Its all rumor…Enquirer of the online football blog world…..Getting to your head i see….WHat a joke!

32. slipkid says: Feb 5, 2010 12:40 PM

McKinnie should have been spanked to death by his old man a long time ago.
    now if he could only determine who his old man was.

33. Percy Nugz says: Feb 5, 2010 12:42 PM

I never knew Jimmy Smith was a huge Vikings fan! I haven’t posted on hear in a while and i remember Jimmy always being a Vikings hater, glad to see JimmySmith come out of the closet!

34. pkrlvr says: Feb 5, 2010 12:44 PM

I don’t know who is a bigger douchebag, the real Jimmysmith or the fake one……
    Btw, JS, the packers have a guy (Jolly) facing the same charges (if not worse, cause he was using codeine to get high) as the Williams’ boys. Way to not be self aware at all.
    Re: McKinny, the guy is a true POS. However, I do respect a man that eats the puss. So there is that.

35. FireJerryJones says: Feb 5, 2010 2:30 PM

Part of the agent’s job description is to let the player throw you under the bus when necessary.
    Maybe Drew was in the scrip club.

36. CincyAllDaWay says: Feb 5, 2010 3:22 PM

McKinnie is a fat piece of shit who stayed out all night to party them couldn’t get his greasy ass up to practice. I hope the league fines his lard ass off. If he didn’t want to play he shouldn’t have waited until the last minute to say so. Tool and a Turd!!

37. JimmySmith says: Feb 5, 2010 4:07 PM

pkrlvr says: McKinny, the guy is a true POS. However, I do respect a man that eats the puss. So there is that.
    Wait, do you mean to tell me that if a hooker offered up a serving of hair pie, that you would dive in? I mean who knows that number of times that unit has been used and by whom?
    To each its own but licking a hooker is downright nasty and not good for your long term health. Of course, nobody accuse McKinney of being the sharpest knife in the drawer and there is something to be said of hetrosexual sex as opposed to whatever it is that you Viking fans do to each other.

38. The Polish Rifle says: Feb 5, 2010 11:47 PM

This song is SO FITTING!!!