Source: ESPN planned to sever ties with Irvin on Monday

On Thursday, word broke that Hall of Fame receiver Michael Irvin had been sued for rape — and that a criminal investigation of the matter is still pending.

On Friday, ESPN dumped Irvin from its Dallas-based radio operation.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, ESPN had planned to give notice of its intention to terminate the relationship on Monday, February 8.  His replacement already had been hired, we’re told.

It’s unknown whether Irvin had disclosed to ESPN the existence of the pending legal imbroglio; if he hadn’t, the decision to part ways was likely even easier to make.

And some of you have raised a valid question regarding the decision of ESPN to acknowledge the reports regarding the claims against Irvin, given the decision to ignore for multiple days the civil sexual assault charges made against Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Differences exist between the two situations.  In Irvin’s case, criminal charges have been pursued, and the initial report contained a statement from Irvin’s lawyer.  Also, Irvin no longer is playing; thus, the report would have no impact on his on-field performance.

None of this changes our belief that the claims against Roethlisberger should have been reported more promptly.  But we can understand ESPN’s decision to go with the Irvin report.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Legal, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Source: ESPN planned to sever ties with Irvin on Monday”
  1. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Feb 5, 2010 5:55 PM

Also, it’s because Ben is white.

2. Bob S. says: Feb 5, 2010 5:59 PM

3. Ravenmaniac says: Feb 5, 2010 6:00 PM

What is going on with Ben’s case?

4. PGHDON says: Feb 5, 2010 6:01 PM

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?
    Is this just another skank like Big Ben case?
    These guys need to wise up from these predators.

5. NANCY says: Feb 5, 2010 6:10 PM

DONT BELIEVE IT ,AND I AM WHITE———–SOME TRAMP WANTING MONEY

6. biggs13 says: Feb 5, 2010 6:10 PM

I hate pro hoes, but dey sure are sexy. Make it rain!

7. buckeyes3413 says: Feb 5, 2010 6:22 PM

I can’t remember which athlete it was, but he had a great solution to the potential problem of being accused after the fact by a willing female.
    He took a picture of her with nothing on using a Polaroid camera and had her sign the bottom of the picture, essentially stating that she was a willing participant in what was about to happen. If she was not willing take and/or sign the picture, he walked away.
    Not perfect, but not a bad effort at covering the bases.

8. breesus says: Feb 5, 2010 6:23 PM

CAN ANYBODY SAY THUG……….. HE WOULD HAVE BEEN IN JAIL A LONG TIME AGO IF HE COULDNT CATCH FOOTBALLS……….THE GUY IS A THUG…..THUG.

9. erikleif says: Feb 5, 2010 6:26 PM

this guy is a pig – 2 prositutes and half an ounce of cocaine – he belongs in prison – and his poor wife should get the spoils

10. erikleif says: Feb 5, 2010 6:29 PM

and big bens not a skank – what a loser

11. Gautam says: Feb 5, 2010 6:36 PM

“too many koby bryant seeking lowlife women trying to score big off famous men for espn to do a damn thing until incident is resolved.”
    those famous men also need to take some blame for not staying faithful!!!!

12. Bens Attorney says: Feb 5, 2010 6:36 PM

@ravenmaniac What is going on with Ben’s case?
    Raven , Bens case is on hold ,him and the other defendants in the case appealed to the Neveda Supreme court to move the trial back to Lake Tahoe, after the Judge in Reno denied him and the otherdefendents motions to have it moved back to Lake Tahoe. He filed this after he filed the countersuit and that was in Nov. they said it could take 6 months to year for that to even be heard,,So it is at a stand still right now, and the way I understand it is that it will not move forward till this is heard.

13. County K 66ers says: Feb 5, 2010 6:39 PM

Innocent until proven guilty.

14. SFTitan says: Feb 5, 2010 6:42 PM

Irvin should sue ESPN. They’ve treated him like ish and now they fire him after a gold digging whore is accusing him of rape over 2 years ago. It’s just wrong. How many of these type of woman go after men to either get pregnant or to claim rape to get some hush money.
    Sue ESPN Michael.

15. mattcomet82 says: Feb 5, 2010 6:48 PM

Does everyone forget when this guy was caught with a crack pipe and crack in his suv not so long ago? Any of us no names would still be in prison, but he was “throwing it away for a friend”, so that made it ok. I tried that line on my parents when i was 15. He’s a grown man. Just as stated above, he belongs in prison. He is a habitual liar with no standards, that tarnishes the League’s name. It’s a shame what retired NFL stars can get away with. I cringe every time i hear his name spoken.

16. Quagmire says: Feb 5, 2010 6:53 PM

They better make sure Irvin isn’t packing a pair of scissors befor firing him.

17. .VoxVeritas says: Feb 5, 2010 7:00 PM

“Differences exist between the two situations. In Irvin’s case, criminal charges have been pursued, and the initial report contained a statement from Irvin’s lawyer. Also, Irvin no longer is playing; thus, the report would have no impact on his on-field performance. ”
    How thoughtful of ESPN to care so much about a Steelers QB, to the exclusion of just about everyone else in the sports world. Bias? Naah.
    When were criminal charges pursued, Mike? Police concluded that there was no forensic evidence or video surveillance after an investigation. The only potential complainant signed a waiver of prosecution. Not sure why you think that a lawyer’s statement in the original report has any bearing.

18. jetwooderson says: Feb 5, 2010 7:09 PM

Pure RACISM!!!! Why was BIG BEN allowed to play???

19. sec114 says: Feb 5, 2010 7:20 PM

Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy. Coke sniffin piece
    of garbage. I hope he gets what’s coming to him.
    I wonder who the other guy in the room was?
    probably another ex-cowboy or maybe a currnt
    one. Let this thing play out before calling the woman a whore. Or was that a hoe.

20. wyoff says: Feb 5, 2010 7:37 PM

“Pure RACISM!!!! Why was BIG BEN allowed to play???”
    Why should the NFL indefinately bench a player over uncorroborated allegations? That would be just another weapon in the hand of the gold-digging freaks who seek out these players.

21. .VoxVeritas says: Feb 5, 2010 7:44 PM

“Does everyone forget when this guy was caught with a crack pipe and crack in his suv not so long ago?”
    It was a weed pipe.
    DALLAS (AP) — Former Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Michael Irvin reiterated Monday that a marijuana pipe found in his car belonged to a longtime friend, not his brother — and denied any discrepancy between what he told reporters and police.

22. DoughBoyRAC says: Feb 5, 2010 7:52 PM

I be makin’ a commitment, er, uh, saying, but my lips and coke pipe be in the way and stuff!
    I gots ‘de gold jacket, homies! Dats all dat matters!

23. DoughBoyRAC says: Feb 5, 2010 7:54 PM

Wyoff…
    Irvin doesn’t exactly……have a history of……following the law.
    Cases are worlds……apart!

24. Bens Attorney says: Feb 5, 2010 7:54 PM

@ Jetwoodson Pure RACISM!!!! Why was BIG BEN allowed to play???
    Because Bens is a civil case , whore went straight for the money, There were no criminal or will there be criminal charges.. NFL looked into it and said that they would hold punishment till they see what happens but Again it is civil not criminal ,
    I love how people turn this into racism, it has nothing to do with race, Do we forget that this is not the first time that Irvin has been accused of this, I am not saying he is guilty, but if he was making finacial settlement negotitions then, well that ought to tell you something..I have not read the actual filing , but I will. But Is he guilty time will tell, I will not pass judgement,,,He may be innocent.
    @ VOX I don’t blame ESPN for jumping on the Irvin thing because he’s been in trouble before, but he’s not the only guy that ESPN has jumped on, and Frankenburger is probably the first guy I’ve ever seen them hold back on.
    YOur love for Ben is showing again, but I agree , they should have reported Bens, just the same as they are Irvins, no difference they are both civil cases to date, but it was a few days before they reported anything about Bens case. But like you said, Irvin has been in trouble before and has been accused of this before, but still not right, and yes this comes from a Ben fan. Like I said I will not pass judgement or say that Irvin is guilty till I have read the actual filing…I have a feeling these will be one and the same…May be same woman we do not know..

25. slipkid says: Feb 5, 2010 8:02 PM

fire him. emmitt needs a new job dammit.

26. sec114 says: Feb 5, 2010 8:04 PM

Now. that’s racist. Also very funny.

27. Bens Attorney says: Feb 5, 2010 8:06 PM

@ wyoff If any of these people- Roethlisberger, Irvin, Bryant, etc- actually raped a women, then I say hang them high. However, these guys are prime targets to be victimized by these head cases. Black, white, whatever, they have to learn to keep it in their pants. To me Irvin, like Roethlisberger, is innocent until proven guilty, and I strongly doubt that they are guitly of anything other than being stupid.
    I agree even down to Ben (doubtful on Ben to much has come out about the woman) if they did this to these women, then they should be punished, and yes they made the choice to sleep with these women,
    They need to think , if they would have kept it in their pants to begin with these things would not happen, Irvin isnt the first to be accused and wont be the last , but hopefully these guys will learn from this and think twice , Is 5 minutes or so of pleasure worth all the headaches it can cause.
    But yes , Irvin is innocent until proven guilty .
    All we know is what this woman and her attorney is saying, We need to know the facts before throwing him under the bus.

28. breesus says: Feb 5, 2010 8:07 PM

THATS RIGHT ITS RACISM…………PEOPLE KEEP PICKING ON MICHAEL IRVIN…HE’S NOT GUILTY OF THIS…..SOME HOE TORE HER OWN CLOTHES OFF AND RAPED HERSELF……. SORRY MICHAEL ITS RACISM.. WE PROFILING EX FOOTBALL PLAYERS..OUR BAD

29. AllThat says: Feb 5, 2010 8:35 PM

Maybe Mike wanted a trunk load of reefer from Nate Newton before he decided to talk to his ho about a settlement. Both should be off the air. Nuff said. Really people, where else can this go to? Stupid is as stupid does. sort of like Vocksucker

30. kosarsmyidol says: Feb 5, 2010 8:40 PM

If ESPN failed to acknowledge it, people would say that they didn’t do so because he was one of its employees. Maybe they’re trying to avoid the appearance of impropriety.
    Despite Irvin’s checkered past, someone suing after 2 years is suspicious.

31. CookieFlash says: Feb 5, 2010 8:53 PM

Thats racist that you think its racist!

32. .VoxVeritas says: Feb 5, 2010 10:29 PM

“But like you said, Irvin has been in trouble before and has been accused of this before, but still not right”
    Well I look at that like I look at Irvin messing around on his wife, which I figure he was probably doing at very least. I couldn’t blame her if she divorced him because they’ve been down this road before. I can’t say that she should or shouldn’t because that’s a really personal thing. Same with ESPN, they’ve given him chances and I can’t blame them if they’re a little gun-shy when it comes to him, whether he did it or not, whether it’s right or wrong. I haven’t spent one second worrying about his job or his ability to feed his kids. Dude’s future grandchildren are probably already set for life anyway. He may be a knucklehead but he has not squandered his money. Look at his family. He’s got a niece that plays in the WNBA, his brother was drafted by the Lions and lasted a couple of seasons.

33. MontyKC says: Feb 6, 2010 2:04 AM

34. patpatriotagain says: Feb 6, 2010 3:13 AM

past crimes are not admissable as evidence unless they are directly related to the current charge. posession of crack/weed has nothing to do with an alleged rape. sorry

35. .VoxVeritas says: Feb 6, 2010 1:41 PM

“I saw Irvin in the Cheesecake Factory off of Westheimer in Houston with the hottest Asian piece I’ve ever seen. It was obviously not a business lunch. Irvin continually puts himself in shitty situations and of course ends up in shitty positions.”
    Obviously not a business relationship, could it have been just a friend? Most people have friends. Hottest Asian piece you’ve ever seen but it was a shitty situation for him? Are you gay?