Brees says Manning reached out after game

We noted this morning that Colts quarterback Peyton Manning went straight to the locker room following Super Bowl XLIV, rather than staying on the field and shaking hands with Saints players.

Saints quarterback Drew Brees says he was OK with that, because the field became a mob scene after the game.

“After that game was over it immediately became kind of a free for all,” Brees said today on ESPNews. “I was trying to find him and I know that he was trying to find me, but it was too much of a crazy crowd.”

Brees said that Manning contacted him by phone late Sunday night.

“I was able to talk to him after the game, just text messaging,” Brees said. “Obviously, I have a lot of respect for him and I know that he was definitely congratulatory toward our team.”

“Peyton’s a class guy,” Brees said. “He definitely reached out.”

48 responses to “Brees says Manning reached out after game

1. You sure? Cause this could be a great fake issue. I’m surprised the Republicans don’t use it. I can see it now… ‘Peyton Manning is trying to take your guns away’.

2. Imagine if Manning had lingered on the field to congratulate everyone and had CBS shown him all over the place. This morning people would have complained that Manning was mugging for the camera and was unable to yield the spotlight. I have no problem with Manning quietly leaving the field and congratulating the victors privately afterwards.

3. ZOMG No Wai! He’s so classy! I want to buy all the products he endorses! If I was a woman I’d want to carry his child.
    Can you idiots find a new “controversy” to complain about now?

4. Peyton was a class act. Watch his interview after the game. He gave a bunch of praise to the Saints.
    Colts defense killed them. Missed assignments, no pass rush, not watching for the onside kick. And most importantly only giving Peyton 8 possessions instead of the normal 12.

5. “Clearly, the reason the Colts lost this game, is because we inherited this mess, from the previous administration. Let me be clear, this was a great game, but I think all Colts fans will agree, their team suffered defeat, because of the economic decisions, and over spending of my predecessor…..”
    -Barrack Obama-

6. c’mon Brees tell the truth. don’t cover for him. We all know he went pouting off the fieled crying to daddy. he spent the rest of the night fuming about how he shoulc be on a better team.
    loser

7. The quote, “Those that know don’t speak, and those that speak don’t know.”
    None of us has any idea what it is like to lose on that stage, and would have no idea what we would do if put in the same position.
    It was the Saints moment. Why not let them have it? Only people who are upset at Mannings move is the media and those that can’t stand him to begin with.

8. I’m a “sore loser”, so I understand why Peyton did that. However, guys like him and LeBron should understand the gravity of doing things like this.

9. Brees: Hello
    Manning: You screwed me out of my SB trophy
    Brees: Get over it sweetie
    Manning: I was supposed to be MVP..the press told me so
    Brees: Life’s a beach…gotta run, I have a parade to attend.
    Manning: Hugs & kisses from the Colts

10. i think we all feel the same here in Indy. it was certainly a VERY tough loss, but we couldn’t have lost to a better team.
    if the saints had played anyone else, Indianapolis would have been on their side.
    congrats New Orleans, you deserve it. great win. hopefully we’ll see you next year.

11. Who cares…..the Who Dats ruled Miami and now the sights are set on Jerry’s World next year!!!!!
    Who Dat!!!!!

12. We live in a nation raised by pansy’s where everyone gets a trophy. What the he** is wrong with everyone? I wouldn’t shake his fri**in hand. He just lost the superbowl. If you can get over it in 2 minutes u dont deserve to be in it. WHy do people care about this stuff? I liked it better in the days of Ty Cobb when he sharpened his spikes and cleated ur a$$ for being in his way.

13. “Brees doesn’t think anyone should interpret Manning going straight to the locker room as a slight.”
    He’s right. No one should think anyone who goes straight to the locker room after a game as a slight. ANYONE. Ever. The same rule that applies to Manning should apply to all players.
    Now, forgive/crucify him as you will.

14. oh thank god! a war would have errupted between bloggers if this had not happened. But don’t worry, I’m sure Favre has not called the Saints yet, so he is a terrorist.

15. Manning actually had to bolt because he was due at a shoot for another one of those Oreo licking comercials with Eli and Trump.

16. Message Received:
    hey gratz on the win, u guys were the btr team.
    Message Sent:
    lolowned. Tracey said he saw the Manning Face while running by u for TD.

17. Well I guess if Manning is a choke so is Brady. Cause he lost his last superbowl too. What is wrong with you people?

18. Krow says:
    February 8, 2010 1:24 PM
    I’ve seen a lot of dumb posts in my lifetime, but you take first prize. I wish there was a law that allowed computers to be taken away from idiots.

19. If you watched Peyton’s press conference he answered every question directly and patiently and showed no attitude. He took his lumps like a man, took responsibility, called out no one, and while you could see he didn’t want to be there, he did the right thing and tried to take nothing from the Saints. That’s all you can ask of a guy after a tough loss.

20. Don’t you love it when someone tries to rip on the President of the United States…only to misspell his name. “Bill Cowher’s Chin” isn’t exactly a glowing endorsement for the Pennsylvania educational system.

21. My former Idiot Quarterback got all giddy and acting foolish like a lil girl @ a Jonas Brothers concert, when St. Tony Dungy proclaimed the the Super Bowl would be a blow out win for the Colts.
    But then the True Idiot Quarterback showed up at the BIGGEST game of the season and does what he’s the best at Choking in the Big One. He goes out and throws and INT to none other then Tracy Porter. Then T.P. go green field for a Six Pack on the Idiot Quarterback
    Then when that Idiot Quarterback tried to make a tackle on Tracy Porter, but Will Smith stepped in and put the Idiot Quarterbacks’ “Pants’ On The Ground”.
    Pierre Garcon dropping that pass = Great
    Tracy Porters’ INT and Run Back = Awesome
    Idiot Quarterbacks’ Facial Expression after INT/Run Back = PRICELESS
    Signed:
    Mike Vanderjagt

22. JoeyJoeJoeJr.Shabadoooo says:
    February 8, 2010 1:48 PM
    ___________________________________
    Now THAT made me laugh out loud! Good point about poor Favre the terrorist.

23. # recent says: February 8, 2010 1:31 PM
    I bet Tracy Porter could have intercepted Peyton on the way to the locker room
    __________
    LOL! nice

24. @ Krow: “You sure? Cause this could be a great fake issue. I’m surprised the Republicans don’t use it. I can see it now… ‘Peyton Manning is trying to take your guns away’.”
    —What are you even talking about? Since you mentioned “republican” I would guess you are a democrat. Yeah, how is the new administration working out for you? Better I guess once government runs everything.

25. @ Krow says: February 8, 2010 1:24 PM
    **********************************************
    Fake issue, like Climate Change? Or a health program that adds MILLIONS of benefactors & declare that it will produce giant cost-savings?
    I’m not even a republican, but I don’t need to hear your ignorant libtard statements.

26. Peyton was looking for Archie, so Archie could explain how Peyton and Eli have the same amount of Super Bowl Rings, Archie told Peyton he is shameful to the family and that Eli was driving home with Arche and Olivia and Peyton could catch a ride home with the Saints.

27. Brees IS a class act for covering for Payton. It’s tradition to meet mid-field and offer a handshake, no matter how fake or insincere.
    Like in no matter how fake or insincere Manning would have meant it.

28. # Sourdough says: February 8, 2010 2:22 PM
    _______________________
    Hahahahahahahaha, classic, since the essence of the post was accurate, nit pick at the grammar….

29. I’ve been annoyed by sore losers who’ve run into the locker room rather than shake my coach’s hand after a game … but I don’t know that it’s altogether fair. It’s a zoo on the field. The media swamped Brees immediately. We’ve all seen that aerial shot of Drew surrounded by reporters. How would Manning have gotten to him?
    Why should coaches who hate each other pretend to be bossom buddies for the camera? My guess is that Manning was avoiding the press, not Brees. If he were avoiding Brees, he wouldn’t have contacted him later. If the NFL would have arranged to keep the media off the field for a few minutes, I think you would seen Manning go over and congratulate Brees. No, I’m not a big Manning fan. I just think it’s a lot to expect a guy who just lost the Super Bowl to go break through a crowd of reporters surrounding the winning QB.

30. Manning is a sore loser in my opinion. He jetted for the locker room before the game was over. At least he could have run out to Brees and shook his hand, then disappeared. What a disappointment he is and always will be. The Colts probably had a hard time finding a helmet to fit his head as swollen as it’s been.

31. BigEasy says:
    February 8, 2010 1:44 PM
    ————————————————– Enjoy it this year. Favre and the Vikes will own the NFC while you guys go 9-7 next season. Remember I said it. This season was a miracle year for you,one of the worst franchises in NFL history. You used to wear bags !!

32. @Bill Cowher’s Chin: It wasn’t grammar that you used incorrectly, but rather the spelling of the President of the United States name. Therefore, your comment about, ‘the essence of my (your) post was accurate,” wasn’t at all. Thanks for reinforcing my prior post. I couldn’t have done it without you.

33. So sick of “Who Dat” already. Instead of showing class and humility, the fans are chanting that idiotic saying ad naseum.
    Congrats on the win, but you’ll be back in the basement in no time.

34. Big Tom is giving away cars at hsi delaerships in San Antonio Make one payment next year when we win the super bowel—only the sticker price time 2

35. @Pervy Harvin: you’re talking about miracle seasons? LOL. Vikings should’ve lost to the Niners and the Ravens, not to mention, should’ve lost by 50 points against the Saints with their 72 fumbles and 2 INT’s for a total of 500 turnovers. How was that game so close? Do you believe in magic?

36. It was not Peytons choice to go to the locker room….
    the owner/real coach sent him to the locker room a few seconds before the end of the game so he did not get injured…………..