Deion critiques Manning's face

In analyzing the game played by Colts quarterback Peyton Manning on Sunday, NFL Network’s Deion Sanders didn’t focus on his play calling or his passing accuracy. Instead, Sanders focused on Manning’s face.

Specifically, Sanders said, Manning showed up at Sun Life Stadium with a serious, angry look on his face that, in Sanders’ view, was designed to show confidence but in reality showed the exact opposite.

“Let’s start from the beginning, when he walked into the stadium with that grimace,” Sanders said. “You’ve got to understand, we [NFL players] see the cameras when we’re getting off the bus, and we can give you [fans and the media] what we want: We can give you joy, we can give you humility, we can give you that grimace to make you think ‘I’m ready for this game.'”

But Sanders continued that while Manning’s serious face may have made him look focused to a casual observer, his teammates might have taken a different cue from it.

“Players know players, man,” Sanders said. “When you’re giving me that grimace, it seems like, ‘I’m concerned about this game. I’ve got to give you a face. I’ve got to simulate something that I really don’t feel.”

Sanders then turned to his fellow analyst Michael Irvin and said of Manning, “I’m sure he was prepared, I’m sure he was ready, I’m sure he was focused, but when I see things like that as a player, Michael, I’m thinking, ‘I don’t know’.”

Said Irvin, “Peyton looks like he’s ready, but Peyton also looks like he’s worried.”

Perhaps Manning should spend some time this off-season studying the nonverbal communications he makes with his facial expressions. And trying to avoid making faces that will end up on ManningFace.com.

Permalink 81 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
81 Responses to “Deion critiques Manning's face”
  1. Reptar says: Feb 8, 2010 4:36 PM

Deion Sanders hates the Colts. Obviously PFT doesn’t watch NFLN enough. If the Colts won the Super Bowl, he’d be talking about how Peyton Manning caused Hurricane Katrina or something.

2. jd says: Feb 8, 2010 4:38 PM

Is Deion criticizing Manning for not underestimating the Saints? He was justifiably concerned. P0wned

3. afiresnake says: Feb 8, 2010 4:41 PM

To be fair, I watched the NFL N pregame show, and Deion criticized the look on Manning’s face the moment Manning walked into the Sun Shark Stadium … He did not “adjust” his interpretation of Manning’s face after the Colts lost. He did it before the game started.
    Yes, I watched the full 8 hrs.

4. Stetson wears panties says: Feb 8, 2010 4:41 PM

Deion Sanders is a motherless piece of shit.

5. antozzy says: Feb 8, 2010 4:42 PM

I think the FCC should ban all ex-cowboys from any football analyst positions. They are either extremely bias toward the Cowboys are just plain dumb when it comes to their critiques.

6. ampats says: Feb 8, 2010 4:43 PM

Now that funny!! Deion (stick his nose in everything) and fellow analyst Michael Irvin interpreting someone’s facial expressions.
    Now lets just get Warren Sapp’s opinion. He wasn’t available since he was in another part of Dade County that had bars on the windows on Sunday.
    Plexico shouldn’t worry, NFLN has a job waiting for him when he gets out.

7. Nick says: Feb 8, 2010 4:44 PM

I think all the link traffic from here crashed that manningface.com site

8. JoeyJoeJoeJr.Shabadoooo says: Feb 8, 2010 4:44 PM

Irvin has seen quite a few facial expressions on his ‘opponents’ in stressful situations, so he is credible.

9. Unchained says: Feb 8, 2010 4:45 PM

Deion is treading into Dilfer territory with this nonsense.

10. Pervy Harvin says: Feb 8, 2010 4:45 PM

Deion talks some jive ass bullshit and this is an example.

11. HAILSKINS says: Feb 8, 2010 4:46 PM

How in the hell does Sander clause know what he was feeling? He never played with him

12. daffy87 says: Feb 8, 2010 4:47 PM

Deion Sanders doesn’t like Peyton or the Colts…he sucked off New England, Tom Brady, and Bill Belichick all season even after the Colts beat them. He’s a jagoff who “mentors” college kids to sign with his agent friend.

13. Seeryer says: Feb 8, 2010 4:47 PM

Vic Ketchman is claiming at Jaguars.com that Manning had a look of a player that didn’t want to have to go score again when the Saints were on their drive that took the lead to 7 at 24-17. He says Manning had a look of concern and that is what will stick in his head. I love football pundits. Back to back games to end the NFL season came down to throws that “a QB just can’t make” and they came from two of the greatest QBs to ever play the game. Guess what pundits? People who pontificate about football say a QB can’t make that throw but two of the game’s all time greats proved not only can they do it but it can be done when everything is on the line.

14. Tyler says: Feb 8, 2010 4:47 PM

Deion = a stupid Colts-hater clown

15. BigEasy says: Feb 8, 2010 4:48 PM

Deion hates everyone but the players that he spends most of the time kissing their ass….he’ the biggest bandwagon talking head…..right up there with Rich Eisen, Chris Behrman (The Worst)……..

16. dashoe says: Feb 8, 2010 4:48 PM

He says this AFTER the game is the key here. This is just a classless way for a classless person to diminish a player whose team just got beat by a team that played a courageous, with an intent to win, and didn’t mind gambling a little to win it.
    Deion is too stupid to give an honest, intelligent critique of the game. Taking potshots at certain players requires ZERO prep, ZERO intelligence, and ZERO professionalism.
    The Saints won because they weren’t afraid to gamble a little and because they took avantage of some lucky breaks. They won because they were the better team that day.

17. Steeler4life says: Feb 8, 2010 4:49 PM

2 idiots Cowboys with one of the dumbest game analysis known to man.

18. jb10 says: Feb 8, 2010 4:50 PM

i thought he looked constipated. maybe he should have dropped the kids off at the pool before he came out of the locker room.

19. SterilizeTHenry says: Feb 8, 2010 4:51 PM

Irvin and Deion are both idiots. It’s not Manning put on his “Serious Face” then went out to throw four picks. He was having a great game before that pick-6, which was more so a great play by Porter, as opposed to a bad play by Manning.

20. litemater says: Feb 8, 2010 4:52 PM

Deion is an expert on faces. His face a was a stunt in The Lord of the Rings Trilogy – Precious!

21. wrekOgnize says: Feb 8, 2010 4:54 PM

You guys are really scraping the bottom of the barrel for news today, arn’t you?

22. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Feb 8, 2010 4:56 PM

wow PFT writers have no morals or orginiality
    a person had a link and mentioned manningface.com so the writer tries to ensue a stupid non story of what Deion Sanders thought about Mannings face and link the two together.
    SMH

23. Somnambulus says: Feb 8, 2010 4:56 PM

Dear Mr. Seeryer-
    We have never met; I can be sure of this after reading your comment. To say that Ben Roethlisberger is among the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game is absurd. He may be very good, but not among the greatest. Not likely even among the top-ten.
    Sincerely,
    A. Reasonable Thought

24. .VoxVeritas says: Feb 8, 2010 4:56 PM

Hm.
    “As it turns out, quarterback Tony Romo might not be as dumb as he looks.” – Mike Florio

25. BenRapistberger says: Feb 8, 2010 4:58 PM

I just found my favorite new website.

26. braindead says: Feb 8, 2010 4:58 PM

Does anyone seriously give one tenth of a rat’s ass what Sanders thinks about anything? It means as much to me as Shawn Penn’s razor sharp political views.

27. bearsrule says: Feb 8, 2010 5:00 PM

He also took a shot at Jay Cutler for pulling up his socks. Sanders is a piece of human garbage.

28. Deb says: Feb 8, 2010 5:02 PM

I’m not a big Sanders fan … but did anyone actually SEE the look on Peyton’s face when he walked into the stadium. Good night! I don’t know what kind of message he was trying to send but he looked like a three-year-old whose mother took away his Tootsie Pop. It was the most BIZARRE pouty face I’ve ever seen on a grown man … a cross between hilarious and very disturbing.

29. Nick Shank says: Feb 8, 2010 5:02 PM

Stetson wears panties says:
    February 8, 2010 4:41 PM
    Deion Sanders is a motherless piece of shit.
    Child Please,
    have you no respect
    The best athlete to ever play the game.
    I’d like to see you line up against him.
    I think you could beat him on a Nine Route.

30. Pack_Attack says: Feb 8, 2010 5:03 PM

Maybe it was that drive-in movie they were showing on his forehead.

31. prophet of the light says: Feb 8, 2010 5:09 PM

Peyton is the second best looking man alive. He looks like me.

32. Greg B. says: Feb 8, 2010 5:09 PM

Sanders also said on the postgame show that Manning choked. Surprised that hasn’t gotten more attention.

33. TFBuckFutter says: Feb 8, 2010 5:11 PM

So he gets paid to say things like “That expression can mean he’s confidant or it can mean he’s worried”?
    Brilliant.

34. DanRooney says: Feb 8, 2010 5:14 PM

i thought he was just crying because he choked again

35. MiaFins1 says: Feb 8, 2010 5:14 PM

Deion is an ass. Here’ s a guy who laughed when Pat White got knocked out . I have not watched a pre game show in years , they are all idiots.

36. Thingamajig says: Feb 8, 2010 5:16 PM

Sure glad we got that expert analysis from Mr Primetime.

37. eagleindallas says: Feb 8, 2010 5:18 PM

Sanders is an idiot when it comes to being an analyst. Sure he provides the humor side, but overall, he just talks to talk.
    ..he was a heck of a football player though, and thats coming from a Philly fan.

38. fifthorkid says: Feb 8, 2010 5:18 PM

Who cares what Deion and Irvan think? Well maybe Vox but thats it..

39. TFBuckFutter says: Feb 8, 2010 5:20 PM

“prophet of the light says:
    February 8, 2010 5:09 PM
    Peyton is the second best looking man alive. He looks like me.”
    So you’re the third guy in line on the poster at the museum, and he’s fourth?

40. WashingtonRedstorms says: Feb 8, 2010 5:20 PM

What no race card brought up??? Deions not a racist?????? Where’s the card carrying members outrage????
    Prediction: Deion the next to get sued or arrested.
    He will join his Native Florida buddies in bad behavior.
    NFLN keep hiring Florida’s finest!!!

41. SterilizeTHenry says: Feb 8, 2010 5:23 PM

“Nick Shank says:
    February 8, 2010 5:02 PM
    Stetson wears panties says:
    February 8, 2010 4:41 PM
    Deion Sanders is a motherless piece of shit.
    Child Please,
    have you no respect
    The best athlete to ever play the game.
    I’d like to see you line up against him.
    I think you could beat him on a Nine Route.”
    So… you are saying he is a motherless piece of shit who happened to be a good athlete???

42. HBOilers24 says: Feb 8, 2010 5:25 PM

does anyone really care about what deion says?

43. WashingtonRedstorms says: Feb 8, 2010 5:26 PM

Deion’s face was cloned for the Muppets….
    Which one? Take a guess!

44. spdy3450 says: Feb 8, 2010 5:41 PM

Amazing to me how many stupid comments come from these so-called experts ( yes, I’m looking at you too Trent Dilfer)

45. boltschick says: Feb 8, 2010 5:49 PM

He hangs his head a lot, which leaders shouldn’t do.

46. FireJerryJones says: Feb 8, 2010 5:52 PM

As ooposed to the Disneyland commercial… Peyton was taping the “BEFORE” segment of his upcoming Metamucil comercial….

47. .VoxVeritas says: Feb 8, 2010 6:00 PM

“Who cares what Deion and Irvan think? Well maybe Vox but thats it..”
    I’m probably the only person on PFT that doesn’t assign any value to anything any talking TV head says regarding the NFL. In fact I’m the guy that has said on several occasions that they’re all told what to say. They’re not there to inform you and give you crisp, informed analysis. They’re there to generate ratings.

48. Captain says: Feb 8, 2010 6:05 PM

I read Deion’s face when he said that. It said, “Let me say something really assinine and see what assinine website makes a reference to it.”

49. JJMADDOG says: Feb 8, 2010 6:09 PM

Be nice to Irvin he had custody of the only brain cell that he and Emmit Smith are parent to. As for Deion, he always has lots of hot air, mostly when he thinks. He reminds me of sleazy lawyer/car salesamen type. Lot to say but little substance.

50. JimmyY says: Feb 8, 2010 6:12 PM

Could someone please comment on how the heck Sanders and Irvin get ‘analyst’ jobs when they can barely speak the English language? I mean, come on, these guys butcher the language when that’s their job, to try and communicate, and he’s looking at and analyzing facial expressions. Just brilliant to pay these bird brains, brilliant.

51. netdawg says: Feb 8, 2010 6:13 PM

Peyton was angry because the NFL already had the decision made as to which team should win and he didn’t want to be a company man that day.
    I for one an happy for the Saints and am getting tired of the Mannings faces. If its not Peyton trying to be Dan Marino, its Eli trying to be Charlie Brown with his head hung and kicking at the ground. …and don’t get me started on their douche-bag dad!!!

52. Farves sweet Hair says: Feb 8, 2010 6:26 PM

who cares what this guy thinks!

53. Jurg9 says: Feb 8, 2010 6:34 PM

Dion is probably watching too much of the O’Reilly Factor, perhaps Bill should invite him on his show to share his gift. I think I read in Irvin’s face, When will the NFLN figure out that I’m a FRIGGIN IDIOTIC MORON!

54. irishgary says: Feb 8, 2010 6:44 PM

Deion needs to watch Bob Knights game face clip. What a moron Deion is and why would anyone have Irvin on as an analyst, oh yeah Sapp beat his bitch so he couldn’t make it. They should have borrowed marble mouth Sharper from CBS, it would have been better than the stooges.

55. slipkid says: Feb 8, 2010 6:49 PM

motherless? i doubt that but i am sure he doesnt know who his father is.
    they are both idiots just passing time spouting bs in public till some ho falls into their path.

56. ham1 says: Feb 8, 2010 6:57 PM

Deion can say as much nonsense as he wants . It doesnt matter. I just
    laugh at him and dont take him seriously. Hes a clown and not an authority on anything of value. Irvin is just an idiot, great player but really its like listening to a needy child. I just turn the channel or hit mute.
    I have to admit the most coherent thing I ever heard from Emmitt was his discussion on what it means to be a HOF selection. That was great.
    I didnt think he had it in him. I stand corrected.

57. CarsontoOcho says: Feb 8, 2010 7:22 PM

Deion may be an idiot but he does make a decent point here. Whether it actually affected the game is a different story, but definitely possible.

58. Peak says: Feb 8, 2010 7:32 PM

59. Deb says: Feb 8, 2010 7:36 PM

@JJMADDOG …
    Look, I hate the Cowboys, and I know Emmitt doesn’t have the world’s best grammar skills. But where did you get the idea that he’s stupid? The guy has become a successful businessman since leaving football.
    @Jimmy Y …
    All I wanted from the universe when Sanders was playing football was for him to GO AWAY. But whatever else I may think of the guy, he doesn’t generally butcher the English language. And like Emmitt (who does butcher the language) he’s a pretty successful businessman.
    PFTers may not like these guys, but they’re definitely not stupid.

60. TFBuckFutter says: Feb 8, 2010 7:49 PM

“Peak says:
    February 8, 2010 7:32 PM
    After the interception my 12 year old daughter said “He looks like he is going to start crying”. I looked at Manning, and was surprised when he managed to hold back the tears.”
    He was trying to think of a way to blame the INT on the offensive line.

61. ShackDeezNutz says: Feb 8, 2010 7:55 PM

Everything Michael Irvin says is useless. Sanders is nearly as bad. Deion’s analysis of Favre’s interception was that it was “not a bad decision; he was just trying to make something happen.” Yeah, okay.

62. aj says: Feb 8, 2010 8:08 PM

But did he say ‘plethora?’

63. garylandon41 says: Feb 8, 2010 8:15 PM

Peyton Manning enjoys having Testicals on his Chin. Thats a fact

64. johnnydom says: Feb 8, 2010 8:19 PM

Maybe we should look at Deion face cause he is such an idiot. Peyton’ s face was serious and it should have been. Deion is a moron and a bad actor on his failed tv show.

65. DeVoodoo says: Feb 8, 2010 8:20 PM

To be fair, there’s only so much you can do with that face.

66. golfrules says: Feb 8, 2010 8:25 PM

Dion and Micheal I. have just snorted too much coke together. They aren’t all there or they aren’t all here, neither really knows. The only thing they are expert at is running there mouths. That’s it!! it’s a good thing they both have nice teeth, at least we can see them on the porch at night.

67. tleg81 says: Feb 8, 2010 8:27 PM

I might be wrong but who on here ever commented about Ben Roethlisberger being one of the best QBs of all time? I am just curious, because I dont see it…
    It amazes me that people need to bring up stuff that has nothing to do with the article attached to it. Its like watching the Saints VS Colts and bringing up Brady and Belicheck
    That said, Deion is a complete moron and I would think twice before giving him any credibility at all regarding anything, except how to be a deush

68. WashingtonRedstorms says: Feb 8, 2010 9:06 PM

Irvin reminds me of a drunk guy you find sitting at the bus stop and he constantly babbles.

69. j-wil says: Feb 8, 2010 9:08 PM

I just figured he really had to take a dump…….

70. Champs says: Feb 8, 2010 9:13 PM

Better shots of it exist, but Manning was clearly posing as he walked into the stadium. It was the “today’s the day I cement the legacy” face for NFL films.
    Just like a certain 3rd quarter kickoff, it only looks stupid if you fail.

71. j-wil says: Feb 8, 2010 9:14 PM

or…………….he was just trying to hold in a fart, it happens to the best of us! Especially on super sunday…………”I should have just laid off the nachos, damn it!”

72. tdc says: Feb 8, 2010 9:20 PM

Anyone notice Deon does NOT like White people, He is a big time RACIST!!!

73. billybengal says: Feb 8, 2010 9:35 PM

@Deb
    Successful businessman take zero dollars and make something out of it. Yes Deion and Emmitt are successful athletes who have not squandered their money away much like many of their co-workers and ex-colleagues. But to say that they are savvy businessmen is downright absurd. It takes away from the real success stories which are untold across this great country. I’m sure that if I had millions of dollars and I invested it correctly due to the help of my accountants, assistants, etc I would be a happy man. But I would not consider myself a successful businessman. I would say that I am very fortunate and blessed.
    Here’s an easier example. Take away the fame and fortune and then go out and make a name for yourself. Then you might be a successful businessman. Oh and FYI, I am a self made successful businessman so I know what it takes. Being overprivileged and overpaid does not translate into being a successful businessman that translates into being a successful athlete.

74. Bubby Brister says: Feb 8, 2010 9:40 PM

Deion with the psychological analysis. I think he hit the head, dude. I’m actually impressed. If you have to force something, it’s more than likely fake. And sure, everybody gets nervous, but a lot of them are usually legitimately confident, and confidence is one of the most important traits you can have in sports.
    I noticed before the Colts/Steelers game in ’05 that he not only had that serious look, but he also looked completely exhausted and almost hungover. Sure enough, he didn’t have that great of a game. Sans that comeback against the Pats in ’06, he didn’t play well in the postseason. The defense pretty much carried the Colts to a championship that year. Rex Grossman didn’t hurt either. He’s mentioned on occasion how he has trouble sleeping before big games. I would not be shocked at all if “trouble” is an understatement and he has serious, serious insecurities about playing in big ones to the point where he gets a couple hours of sleep in the days leading up. Which would explain why he chokes a lot, which explains why he’s insecure. Vicious cycle, man. I have doubts we’ll ever see him win another one again.

75. favre uses allens mullet as handlebars says: Feb 9, 2010 12:29 AM

Shut up Deion. Seriously. Just shut up. Your mouth is pathetic. Go play poker since ur so good at reading faces. Mannings the BEST period. 7 str8 yrs of 12+ wins. Thats ALL Mr.Manning. Deion, hes going to go down as the best even ahead of your big mouth. So go ahead and say he choked and make opinions on what you saw for facial expressions. 4X MVP! Do you have one?
    Really scraping the bottom of the barrel for articles I see.

76. Deb says: Feb 9, 2010 12:38 AM

@billybengal …
    My father also is a self-made man. He went from dirt-poor farm kid to successful businessman. My brother and I were provided college educations then expected to make our own way and are both successfully self-employed. Though you probably didn’t intend to sound condescending, I don’t need lessons in what it takes to become a successful businessperson.
    Like you and my father, Emmitt and Deion started with nothing but inherent skill. They trained and disciplined themselves, working at a level other kids weren’t willing or able to perform–just as you did. After years of dedication and hard work, they rose to become elite athletes. That enabled them to earn at the top tier of their profession–just as successful businessmen do. When they retired from athletics, they had the intelligence to parlay their money and fame into other ventures that have increased their wealth. Do they have the savvy of a Warren Buffett? No. But they aren’t the morons the people posting here have made them out to be either.
    They took their inherent talents, worked to go from zero to the top of their profession, earned at the top of their professional wage scale, and wisely invested their earnings–just as you did. But when you do it, you’re a “successful” businessman. And when they do it, they’re “overprivileged” and “overpaid.” I’d call that a double-standard.

77. Route36West says: Feb 9, 2010 12:52 AM

Irvin is such a fraud you can tell by his comments, “Peyton looks like he’s ready, but Peyton also looks like he’s worried.”, that he didnt notice that about Manning he just thought what Deion said sounded good so he decided to jump on board. That man doesnt have an orginal thought in his body.
    The whole thought of Irvin is so tired and woren he just needs to go away.

78. The Real Shuxion says: Feb 9, 2010 9:24 AM

WarrenMoonGOAT says:
    February 8, 2010 4:56 PM
    wow PFT writers have no morals or orginiality
    SMH
    ————————————————-
    Thank you. Good to be noticed.

79. .VoxVeritas says: Feb 9, 2010 9:40 AM

“Successful businessman take zero dollars and make something out of it.”
    Sounds like exactly what they did.
    “Here’s an easier example. Take away the fame and fortune and then go out and make a name for yourself. Then you might be a successful businessman. Oh and FYI, I am a self made successful businessman so I know what it takes.”
    Really. How many millions ya got in the bank?
    “I’m sure that if I had millions of dollars and I invested it correctly due to the help of my accountants, assistants, etc I would be a happy man.”
    As if somebody just handed them that money…
    See, that’s how I know that you are NOT a “successful businessman”. If you were, you’d be banking loads of money and investing it.
    “Here’s an easier example. Take away the fame and fortune and then go out and make a name for yourself.”
    They weren’t born rich and famous. It wasn’t handed to them. They did go out and make names for themselves. They took a marketable commodity and did very well with it and are still doing well with it. You’d understand that if you really were a self-made successful businessman.

80. .VoxVeritas says: Feb 9, 2010 9:41 AM