Payton slept with the Lombardi Trophy

Saints coach Sean Payton showed up to his day-after press conference Monday red eyed yet euphoric.

Payton revealed that he got to bed at around 4 a.m. Monday morning.  And that a certain famous trophy was in bed with him.
This thing laid in my bed next to me,” said Payton.  “I rolled over a couple times, and I probably drooled on it, man.  Nothing like being an NFL coach and being part of this with great players like Drew Brees.  I don’t take that lightly.  I’m honored.”
Payton, on something like five hours of sleep — maybe — already indicated that he has his sights set on a repeat.
“Maybe this allows you 24, 48 hours before you start eying up the next challenge,” he said.  “Somewhere around midnight last night, we talked about Dallas, Texas [site of Super Bowl XLV].  One of the greatest stadiums now that our league knows.  There’s probably never enough in regards to challenge.”

44 responses to “Payton slept with the Lombardi Trophy

1. Payton winning in Dallas next year? Maybe so. Would be nice. Big roster moves loom for the Saints. I’d say, “Sean, go back to bed and snuggle up to that little trophy of yours and enjoy this recent season.” It isn’t likely to repeat.

2. This article is a little disturbing…..
    What is next for him? Rolling over and slapping Brees on the ass next to him in bed?

3. congratulations, new orleans. i gotta say, i didn’t even think the saints had a chance. drew brees really turned it on and played like a super bowl winning quarterback. now i’m just waiting for the packers to win it next year.

4. Silva-
    Don’t hurt yourself trying to figure out those Roman numerals. Maybe a quick google search will yield better results than just guessing.

5. So, Brees and Payton sleep together, and Brees is the man in the relationship. florio, get some real news.

6. Payton was so frightened, he had NIGHTMARES ALL NIGHT ………………
    he will NEVER go back to New Orleans………..
    Eli is still tied with Payton………..

7. That was a big mistake, Lombardi Trophy. He says he’ll call, but you know he never will. I hope at least you used protection.
    Maybe you need six weeks at Pine Grove.

8. Classy coach, classy QB, classy organization. Pretty touching moment that Drew Brees shared with his young son. Congrats to the Saints, but unfortunately I hope the Packers are in the way of you repeating.

9. Hopefully he cleaned it before passing it on to the next guy.
    also:
    “Brees, who also showed up to his own day-after presser, revealed that he woke up Monday morning next to his wife and asked her, “Did yesterday really happen?””
    To which his wife replied, “yes but I was able to get it all out of my hair.”

10. Hope Sean didn’t do anything…unsavory. If the Raiders had won, the trophy would end up pulling the train….

11. Kudos to that team. Very good likable players (hear that Chargers?). They’ve earned everything they got this year.
    Not a Saints fan but I like and respect Brees, Sean Payton, Fujita and the rest. Great story guys.

12. Sean Payton’s proctologist will be hearing him say “It was a million to one shot, Doc. Million to one.”

13. I’m trying to figure out what Roman Numeral ‘XLIVI” is…but it’s blowing my mind. It’s like a double-negative but worse.

14. Did anyone catch PAyton’s diss of Manning when he called Brees the NFL MVP?
    Hate this guy, what a prick.
    I hear alot of players dislike of this guys personality and he demeans his players.
    Then again, theses guys were cut at sometime.

15. Did he kick his wife out of bed to make room? Or did she have to sleep next to that cold steel as well? Did he put a dent in the bottom of it with morning wood? Would anyone want to touch this thing now? Is there a sex tape?

16. Archie woke up with a soiled pair of Hanes underwear, he sheet himself when his wife told him Eli has the same # of Super Bowl wins as Peyton.
    9-9
    U

17. @Florio-is-a-tool… They “EARNED” everything they got? Vikings kicked their @ss 2 weeks ago.. they didn’t earn anything in that game simply got a game handed to them. Bree’s -200 yards passing, vikings +2-1 in yardage, +2-1 in first downs. Get real. You can sleep with the gizz stained trophy next.

18. He wanted before old man Benson got his hands on it.
    Beats what the Colts slept with.
    A big bed full of emptiness.

19. Each player on a Stanley Cup winning team in hockey already gets to do this (spend a day with the trophy), so I don’t see the problem here. The Stanley Cup has ended up on the bottom of Mario Lemeaux’ swimming pool, been filled with adult beverage, taken to Red Square in Moscow, the golf course, and strip clubs. So here’s hoping we continue to read stories about the Lombardi Trophy’s unusual travels in future.

20. Favorite posts so far:
    1) Mine, obviously
    2) oldschool says:
    February 8, 2010 12:00 PM
    Did he ask the trophy to fix his tv?
    3) Action Dan says:
    February 8, 2010 11:28 AM

21. moreflagsmorefun: 3 comments trying to make Eli out to be better than Peyton. Please. I haven’t heard anyone making a case for Eli being the best QB ever.

22. SUKIT says:
    February 8, 2010 12:13 PM

Grow up, you sore loser. Maybe next time the Vikes won’t turn it over 5 times, then they can claim that they’re the better team. The Saints earned that victory by playing virtually mistake free, something Peterson and the Vikes obviously couldn’t accomplish.

23. Adam-Chris Scheftersen says:
    February 8, 2010 1:20 PM
    Listen up, I will make it easy you,The GOAT , as he has been called has the same amount of Super Bowls as his little bro, not bad for about 18 million a year, right!!! Like Bill Parcells said, ” Your record says what you are “………….
    Eli-1-0
    Peyon1-1
    I haven’t seen you peeps backing you up so get your butt back to Indiana and make some more RV’s…….

24. … can’t wait for NFL Network video of who Michael Irvin and Warren Sapp slept with….
    Classy that they replaced Sapp with Joey Porter.

25. # Dinger says: February 8, 2010 10:37 AM
    read it and weep loser Dinger. Your team got embarrassed in the playoffs. Oh I know you’ll say that you beat the Saints and you did, how did that work out for ya? Highlight of your year was a regular season win, only to choke terribly when the games meant the most. Must suck having that big pretty stadium to a team that can’t win in the playoffs hey?
    Go ahead bring up your past achievements, they’ll make you feel better that you were a good team in a past life.
    Who knows if the Saints will repeat next year but guess what, THE SAINTS ARE SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS! THE COWBOYS ARE PLAYOFF CHOKES!!! hahahahaaaaaaa

26. Peyton said the grass was too soft and he didn’t have good shock prevention on the interception to Porter, Bill Polian said The Colts will sue the City of Miami, Dolphins and J-Lo.
    Archie said Peyton is not his son and will like to distance himself from the Super Bowl loser, he was seen leaving the stadium with his arm around Eli and noting he was indefeated in the Super Bowl.!!!!

27. moreflagsmorefun says:
    February 8, 2010 1:30 PM
    Eli-1-0
    Peyon1-1
    ——————————–
    Nice try, but I’m neither a Colts fan nor a resident of the state of Indiana. I can identify an idiot when I see one, though. Which is where you come in…
    But I’m sure you’re right. Eli and his one Pro Bowl and 0 league MVPs is much better than Peyton with his 10 Pro Bowls and 4 league MVPs.
    Eli’s career 79 passer rating and 1.4 TD to INT ratio is probably better than Peyton’s career 95 passer rating and 2.0 TD to INT ratio.
    And I’m positive Eli’s .592 winning percentage beats Peyton’s .665. Less is more. Right numbnuts? Go back to your hovel and wait for next year. I’m sure the Giants will have another magical season in 2010. Just like 2009.

28. moreflagsmorefun says:
    February 8, 2010 2:54 PM
    ————————–
    “Indefeated”? That’s uncomprehensible. It’s nonconceivable.