The Jaguars enjoyed Tracy Porter's score very much

I just got back from Sun Life Stadium, but the coffee isn’t quite out my system and my flight’s not until the morning so I wanted to share one indelible moment from our evening.

When Tracy Porter scored his life-changing interception, I couldn’t help but notice the eruption in the luxury box next to us.  The box belonging to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

There was Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver, with a huge smile on his face. The rest of the Jaguars box was jumping up and down, high-fiving, and generally acting like the newest members of Who Dat Nation.

Don’t take this post as a critique.  It was fun to see an owner’s box openly reveling in schadenfreude like a bitter Packers fan celebrating a Brett Favre interception.

The Jaguars have been kicked around by the Colts for years, and we don’t blame them one bit for celebrating their rivals’ misery.  We’ve all done it before.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “The Jaguars enjoyed Tracy Porter's score very much”
  1. kennethnoisewater says: Feb 8, 2010 7:23 AM

shouldn’t have sat their starters in week 16

2. TealDeal says: Feb 8, 2010 8:48 AM

It wasn’t just the owners box. It was the whole city, my house included.
    Anybody but the Colts.

3. Dianenfl says: Feb 8, 2010 8:50 AM

Jaguar fans still think Mark Brunell is their quarterback. Glad to know Weaver and the rest of the ‘brain trust’ enjoyed their time at the Super Bowl. They sold all their other team tickets allotment so no one on his staff got the opportunity to go… And he continues to turn down $$ for stadium naming rights because he is terribly arrogant, and unwilling to admit he’s tied his team to a head coach who can’t get the job done in Del Rio.
    Cheering for the team the Jaguars consider their rival in a Super Bowl will be the closest the Jacksonville Jaguars organization ever gets to the Lombardi trophy.

4. steelerfan9598 says: Feb 8, 2010 8:54 AM

I jumped up and down like a girl at a Jonas Brothers concert when the Giants beat the Patriots so, I know the feeling.

5. ADX says: Feb 8, 2010 9:23 AM

lmao at teal deal
    That’s the cloesest your own will EVER get to a superbowl

6. FootballOnly says: Feb 8, 2010 9:26 AM

Pretty pathetic when you go crazy becuz it took another team to do what your team is incapable of doing but yet most fans in the same situation will continue to trash talk how good their team is. The worst (and most hilarious) I saw this year was the redneck Packer fans who would’ve sold their youngest in return for a Packers victory over BF. I love football but it isn’t a sport like it use to be as it became a GAME and with all the rules changes in the past 10-15 years it has become more entertainment than anything.

7. Heybeerman95 says: Feb 8, 2010 9:31 AM

99% of the country jumped up and down like little girls when the Giants beat the Colts

8. Adam-Chris Scheftersen says: Feb 8, 2010 10:20 AM

Color me stupid, but why did the Jaguars even have a luxury box at the Super Bowl?
    And while we’re on the topic of people who have no business being at a Super Bowl… Was Jeff Fisher at the game? And did he whip off a Peyton Manning jersey to reveal a Drew Brees jersey underneath?

9. purpleguy says: Feb 8, 2010 10:48 AM

Perfect analogy.

10. tyler7913 says: Feb 8, 2010 1:40 PM

this is really a story? are you kidding rosenthal?? not only do you suck at writing, but you’re also a complete idiot.
    my asian neighbors were excited after the game too…you want to make that into a story?

11. OZZ says: Feb 8, 2010 5:12 PM

And yet your team (and fans) still suck Weaver.

12. OZZ says: Feb 9, 2010 1:25 PM

HAHA. I see the kids finally got on the internet.
    dreamstalker… what a cute name. obviously an upset Jags fan judging by that response. So I don’t have to tell you how bad you suck, you live it every day.

13. dreamstalker says: Feb 9, 2010 4:07 PM

Yea, Jaguars fans suck.. are you a Colts fan? Your stadium took over 20 years to sell out. A 50k capacity stadium. Only after one of the worst economic downturns in history did the Jags have an attendance problem. Detroit and Oakland have worse attendance records.. it’s something you should check. I guess their fans suck too. There are only two teams with fans worth a damn. Green Bay and Pittsburgh. Everyone else are bandwagoners, which I am sure you are as well.

14. kpweaver27 says: Mar 12, 2010 9:30 AM

I guess any team that has success is going to get that kind of treatment. I’m an admitted Colts fan who isn’t necessarily bothered by that, but I’ll just point out this. The Colts are quiet, reserved, and humble. Yes they’re good and I understand fans rooting against them but to me it seems easier to root against people like Rex Ryan, Jeremy Shockey, Ray Lewis, Randy Moss…people who ask to be rooted against, essentially.
    That’s a good point though…why was Weaver at the Super Bowl? Did every team have their own luxury box? I doubt it, but he did. That’s interesting. What’s the over/under on Tim Tebow references in that box?

15. brasho says: Mar 15, 2010 1:15 PM

All teams get luxury boxes and all NFL players are offered tickets to the game. That’s only 32 luxury boxes and well under 3000 tickets the NFL gives away for free.