Lombardi Gras goes national

The St. Augustine High School marching band played “Stand up and get Crunk” on CNN.

That surreal moment, in a season full of them, is one reason why the NFL has to be loving this story.  The Saints and the celebration in New Orleans crosses traditional sports boundaries.  It’s become a national news story, not just a sports story.

(An alternate title to Lombardi Gras: Dat Tuesday.)

MSNBC was showing the parade for a while, the NYTimes’ website is leading their website with coverage, NFL Network and ESPNews are also simulcasting parade coverage in New Orleans and shows no signs of stopping.  “The Situation Room” continues to monitor the situation.

The rest of the nation is getting a sense of the flavor of the city with the marching bands, the elaborate floats, and a victory parade is just picking up steam now that the sun is down.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Lombardi Gras goes national”
  1. edgy1957 says: Feb 9, 2010 7:18 PM

(An alternate title to Lombardi Gras, by the way: Dat Tuesday.)
    **************************
    Have you sobered up yet? :)

2. Ravenmaniac says: Feb 9, 2010 7:21 PM

NFL will now step in and put a stop to this!

3. FireJerryJones says: Feb 9, 2010 7:35 PM

Nice to see a team overcome poor ownership

4. .VoxVeritas says: Feb 9, 2010 7:43 PM

OK does this mean we never have to hear about Katrina again?

5. halen11 says: Feb 9, 2010 7:58 PM

That’s a heck of a parade!

6. edgy1957 says: Feb 9, 2010 8:00 PM

Ok, Greg, just to tweak the Commish’s nose, how about Tue Dat? :)

7. jknock625 says: Feb 9, 2010 8:03 PM

The nationwide coverage will give people a small taste of New Orleans’ culture, but it in no way reflects the abundance of experiences to be had in and around the city and region. New Orleans is not all about partying and drinking (although it’s certainly easy to find if you’re looking for it). If you haven’t stuck your nose in a freshly boiled pot of Belle River crawfish, if you haven’t seen goosebumps on your arms when the LSU Tiger band plays Pregame, if you haven’t tasted a King Cake made from McKenzie’s original recipe or chewed on a ripe stick of sugar cane from a field along Bayou Lafourche, if you haven’t sat in a jazz bar or on a balcony and watched Bourbon Street transition as the sun sets, then what the hell are you waiting for?

8. straightup says: Feb 9, 2010 8:18 PM

jknock625-
    yea that’s right. That’s why we love our city, right on. WHO DAT BABY!

9. ChillyP says: Feb 9, 2010 8:40 PM

Go on New Orleans…Get your Rapes and Murders on tonight. Show the rest of the US (that forgot how civilized you were after Katrina) how you guys like to party. I’ll be very very disappointed if I look through the paper tomorrow and there’s no story about how a child was killed by a stray bullet. Represent now ‘Who dat” Nation!!!!

10. texasPHINSfan says: Feb 9, 2010 8:50 PM

Well what else do you expect everyone to do? Reinforce the levees?
    Kidding!
    Too soon? :-D

11. SF Saints Fan says: Feb 9, 2010 8:52 PM

jknock625:
    You got dat right baby…….
    I have been to every great city in this country, lived in several states and in some of the great cities of our nation (New York City, San Francisco and Philadelphia to name a few) and can tell you that New Orleans has character. Anybody who has spent extensive time in the city and the surrounding area will tell you that.
    If you have not been to New Orleans and the surrounding area, go there and see it for yourself. It has it’s problems (crime is way to high, it is like a sauna six months out of the year, if you can’t drink you may feel left out sometimes), but it is a truly unique and great American City.

12. Hank_SJ says: Feb 9, 2010 9:37 PM

Has the parade been officially sanctioned and approved by Goodell’s Goons?

13. The Nomad says: Feb 9, 2010 9:44 PM

Just got back home and I must say that was the most people I’ve ever seen at a parade here! So cool to see all of the players reacting to the fans, awesome! The DB float was having the most fun for sure! Surreal moments continue with Coach Payton thrusting the Lombardi in the air atop of the double decker Smokin’ Mary float from the Orpheus’ parade!
    Still to come Bacchus, Endymion and Orpheus this weekend with Brees, Benson and Payton as Grand Marshal’s! What a great time to live in NEW ORLEANS!

14. The Nomad says: Feb 9, 2010 9:45 PM

@.VoxVeritas
    OK does this mean we never have to hear about Katrina again?
    If you’ll stop, we’ll stop :)

15. Chapnasty2 says: Feb 9, 2010 10:12 PM

I dont understand why this is even on the news to begin with. There are far more important things going on in the world and it is now clear why CNN and MSNBC have the lowest ratings out of the “big three” news networks. Sports should be left to ESPN and sports networks. Americans do like distractions though.

16. Ilovefoolsball says: Feb 9, 2010 10:21 PM

ChillyP – you moron, we don’t have those problems that your city would have if you ever held a victory celebration like we have. Our police know how to handle these kinds of situations. If only your weak ass would come down here so I could turn loose Jerome and his boys straight out of prison so they could give you a nice brown beignet up your *** :)

17. Steve-O says: Feb 9, 2010 10:25 PM

@jknock625 says:
    February 9, 2010 8:03 PM
    =============================
    So it’s the “national media” that pushes Who Dat, Mardi Gras, flashing boobs for beads, eating, drinking and hookers every 10 minutes?
    Silly me, I thought that was the advertising campaign.
    In others words, you’re a stinking hypocrite. Get over yourselves. Your city is no better than many others and worse than lots.

18. straightup says: Feb 9, 2010 10:55 PM

All of the negativity, hey there’s always next year for your team. chillyp, what’s with the kids being shot talk, that’s not funny jackass. You probably didn’t think it was funny when the best part of you ran down your brothers leg did ya? What team do you represent anyway…..the Vikings? Read the newspaper i bet yall had a murder last night.

19. ChillyP says: Feb 9, 2010 10:57 PM

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Ilovefoolsball, I guess I hit the head of the nail with my comment. See how you bring up rape in your post. Yeah… when my city had a disaster we never descend into looting, raping, murdering, etc. Your police really knew how to handle Katrina. I like the video of the ones looting in the Walmart. I think the best part is I captured the exact things that will go in your city tonight. Enjoy….Enjoy your rapes and murders tonight… AHHAHAHAHAHAHA

20. .VoxVeritas says: Feb 9, 2010 11:04 PM

“if you haven’t tasted a King Cake made from McKenzie’s original recipe or chewed on a ripe stick of sugar cane from a field along Bayou Lafourche”
    You realize that people poop in there, right?

21. ReadForComprehension says: Feb 9, 2010 11:04 PM

Great parade! Every Saint from equipment managers to players to management to ownership was riding and having a great time. Lots of fun folks standing near us… wonderful mix of every neighborhood in New Orleans and up and down the river.
    Floats stopped for a while and my daughter got several high fives from Mike Bell (her wearing his #21 helped, I’m sure) and Mike McKenzie, Tracy Porter and Usama Young signed anything that was handed to them… even someone’s shoe! Agree that the DBs were seemed to be having the most fun.
    Great way to end a great season.

22. buck_u_pack_haterz says: Feb 9, 2010 11:05 PM

SAINTS FANS: welcome to the party(us packer fans have been there) and enjoy it forget about the haters. You know why? Because they hate a winner(which they obviously are not), they hate their job, they hate their wives, they hate their kids, etc. Your city and fans deserved this so buck the haterz and enjoy this historic moment

23. jknock625 says: Feb 9, 2010 11:05 PM

Steve-O,
    My post was with regard to the coverage of the parade tonight. While I did mention eating and drinking (and who doesn’t mind eating good food and having a drink once in a while), I mentioned nothing about “Who Dat, Mardi Gras, flashing boobs for beads or hookers”. I also didn’t compare New Orleans to any other city, I simply stated that New Orleans and the surrounding area is a great place to experience unique things that collectively make the New Orleans area a great place to visit.
    Your response to my post makes no sense, and you obviously flew off the handle and felt like I was calling whatever city you live in a piece of crap. Well is it? Are most of the people in your city like you?

24. .VoxVeritas says: Feb 9, 2010 11:05 PM

“OK does this mean we never have to hear about Katrina again?
    If you’ll stop, we’ll stop :)”
    I promise to stop talking about Katrina. Furthermore I promise to not talk about it the next time a hurricane hits my city. And yes I live on the gulf coast.

25. The Nomad says: Feb 9, 2010 11:06 PM

@ Steve-O says:
    The flashing boobs are ALWAYS tourist :)

26. RayDaMayor says: Feb 9, 2010 11:07 PM

Yo Chilly & Steve-O
    Both of you can kiss my brown apple.
    Ray

27. dannylaruso says: Feb 9, 2010 11:24 PM

Congrats to New Orleans, I had the pleasure of visiting last year and had the time of my life. ChillyP, don’t be a hater, and stop touching yourself while writing about rape and murder, it’s not cool.

28. The Nomad says: Feb 9, 2010 11:33 PM

# .VoxVeritas says: February 9, 2010 11:05 PM
    “OK does this mean we never have to hear about Katrina again?
    If you’ll stop, we’ll stop :)”
    Sound good to me. I think most of us just want to move on and look to the future :)

29. ChillyP says: Feb 9, 2010 11:42 PM

Oh man. Good stuff. How come New Orleans fans always go to the Ghey card? You acting like I’m making it up or something. I’m just speaking the truth about New Orleans. If it makes you feel better I doubt that the crime will be as high and it normally is. We all know most of the residents moved to other city to spread their lovely brand of humanity after Katrina. So calm down, enjoy your night and I’m sure they’ll tally up to death toll on the morning news.

And yes, I will read the paper tomorrow and we’ll probably have a murder, but it’ll probably be a former resident of New Orleans doing the murdering in my town.

30. smeghead says: Feb 9, 2010 11:48 PM

Congrats to New Orleans and the Saints, I hope every city that has a NFL franchise gets a day like today. I still remember Jan 26th 1997 and keep in close to my heart. And no one can take that away.

31. Chapnasty2 says: Feb 10, 2010 8:54 AM

Why is this even on the news? I mean ESPN, NFL network obviously, but to think that sports is “news” is dead wrong. With all of the other issues going on in the world and our country, media outlets like CNN and MSNBC use this to distract everyone from the real issues. Don’t get me wrong, it is good for New Orleans and thier fans but it is not news worthy.

32. Adam says: Feb 10, 2010 9:06 AM

@jknock625
    Congratulations to your region and your team. I’ve seen championship parades before, I only saw part of yours, but…wow. It was fantastic and radiated such joy, it’s hard to put into words. It was also nice to see a different side of NO. Usually all I see is drunks on Bourbon street (nothin wrong with that!) so it was really cool to see your city show off and the pride of everyone in the parade and in the crowd. Amazing!
    Im a NY fan, and we’re sort of used to winning. Bad thing about that is I know that we’ll never have a parade that means as much to us as the Saints parade means to y’all
    I went to New Orleans with my fam when I was 13, it was amazing. I need to go back soon as an adult haha
    Very happy for y’all