Tebow ad was Super Bowl's least-watched commercial

Before the game, the Focus on the Family commercial featuring Tim Tebow and his mom was the most-discussed ad of the Super Bowl.

During the game, that commercial was the least-watched.

The Nielsen Company has released the viewership numbers for every Super Bowl commercial, and the Tebow ad comes in dead last, with 92,576,680 viewers. That’s a huge audience compared to just about anything other than the Super Bowl, but it’s still lower than ever other ad that aired during the game — which probably has less to do with the content than the fact that the Tebow ad aired during the game’s first commercial break, when ratings were lower.

The Super Bowl’s most-watched ad featured two men attacked in a gym for stealing someone else’s Doritos.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
51 Responses to “Tebow ad was Super Bowl's least-watched commercial”
  1. Mooch says: Feb 12, 2010 12:41 PM

It went too fast, and the placement hurt it. Unless you recognized Mrs. Tebow you probably joined everyone else and went to the bathroom / fridge.
    It lacked a compelling ‘hook’ from the start of the spot.

2. DcNinerFan says: Feb 12, 2010 12:41 PM

“Although it was the subject of fierce debate in the weeks leading up to the Super Bowl, the ad (which you can see here) turned out to be fairly noncontroversial.”
    You have to understand. If there is even a whiff of anything that could possibly disagree with Liberal Mentals, they will scream at the top of their lungs even before seeing or hearing what they are protesting. Libs love to protest for protesting sake.
    Along with being a rather boring Superbowl this year, the commercials were also pretty bad this year…

3. Big Stretch says: Feb 12, 2010 12:42 PM

Nobody likes this guy except Gator fans and religious nuts.
    I can’t wait to see the TEBLOW experiment fail.
    Go Noles

4. TFBuckFutter says: Feb 12, 2010 12:44 PM

I still think it’s funny that they wouldn’t approve the Mancrush ad, and then the Tebow ad ended up being one of the gayest things I’ve ever seen.

5. Bubby Brister says: Feb 12, 2010 12:44 PM

“which probably has less to do with the content than the fact that the Tebow ad aired during the game’s first commercial break”
    That’s probably all it is. I doubt millions of people changed the channel at the same time just because they saw it come one. Especially since the first 25 seconds are only Tebow’s mom and many people probably didn’t even realize it was the Tebow commercial until the end.

6. turboreattore says: Feb 12, 2010 12:44 PM

Tebow has no future in the NFL and also made a commercial to try to get back US women rights to 19 century. Tebow sucks!

7. Osterhouse says: Feb 12, 2010 12:44 PM

Tebow ad sucked

8. Bill Cowher's Chin says: Feb 12, 2010 12:45 PM

How can they even measure that? Define “viewers”. Is that the number of tv’s? What if one tv has 12 people watching it, and another tv has 2 people watching it? They cant come out and say 14 people watched it…..???? They can only say 2 tv’s were on, tuned into the SB, when the ad aired….

9. troll_aikman8 says: Feb 12, 2010 12:47 PM

Well you gotta factor that roughly 40 million potential viewers were aborted.

10. edgy1957 says: Feb 12, 2010 12:52 PM

I still contend that they were totally disappointed that CBS took their money because they would have gotten a lot of people who supported them to donate to help fight the “liberal” media and save their $$$ for something else.
    I really loved the Snickers commercial and so did my family. My sister said that she laughed her ass off, especially at what Betty White had to say. Really not the best year for commercials but better than some.

11. karmathaitch says: Feb 12, 2010 12:53 PM

How did they know that??? Were they watching me thrue my 52′ Sony too?? Thats crazy!!

12. HBOilers24 says: Feb 12, 2010 12:57 PM

take that jesus!

13. birdmancometh says: Feb 12, 2010 12:59 PM

There is no way they can know that.

14. wydok says: Feb 12, 2010 12:59 PM

Best ad was Letterman’s, hands down.
    I don’t understand why there were so many misogynistic adds this year.
    Tebow’s ad was OK, I guess. A little too sappy for me.

15. TransplantedFan says: Feb 12, 2010 12:59 PM

After watching the Ad, I thought it was pretty dull and the actual content didn’t really match the hype. They didn’t use the word “abortion” and I guess without it, the ad just seemed a little plain compared to what we thought it was going to be.

16. Onderin says: Feb 12, 2010 1:01 PM

If I wasn’t aware of what the commercial was about, I wouldn’t even know what the message was upon first watch. Pretty lame commercial in my opinion.

17. BenRapistberger says: Feb 12, 2010 1:02 PM

How the hell is this determined? Did more people change the channel for 30 seconds or shut their TV off for 30 seconds for this commercial than any other?

18. geek says: Feb 12, 2010 1:04 PM

Wow! Those numbers almost imply that viewers chose which adds to watch, and which to ignore. Why else would any of us care about such statistics? If I knew which add was coming up, I probably would have intentionally avoided the Tebow add. That said, it went by so quickly, I hardly realized I was watching it until the last seconds. Whatever message they were trying to convey was lost. I suspect the real message they were trying to convey was that it was a controversy… perhaps some subtle attack on the “liberal media” or other conservative myths. The whole thing was really a joke!

19. SFTitan says: Feb 12, 2010 1:07 PM

How do they determine which is the most watched ad and which is the least. There were a certain amount of TVs on while the game was on. At any given time people were either watching the game or commercials or they were doing something else. How do they know when people were watching an ad or when someone was going to the bathroom and not watching an ad?

20. RaiderMight says: Feb 12, 2010 1:14 PM

All the hype and drama made about it and I didn’t even notice it. Obviously millions didn’t either.

21. Louie says: Feb 12, 2010 1:15 PM

So what did everybody do, close their eyes?

22. Fan of Football says: Feb 12, 2010 1:16 PM

Though Tim and his mom are douches, ratings have nothing to do with the commercial that is on. It has to do how many people are watching the game at that moment.

23. taudaddy79 says: Feb 12, 2010 1:17 PM

I really don’t like clicking on the links you all provide because it navigates me out of the PFT site. You would think that you’d want to keep readers in your site.
    What I am saying is, change the way you create links so that when a reader clicks on them, it opens a new tab or window instead of navigating away from PFT.
    (Yes I know that all I would have to do is right-click, but I’m trying to offer some constructive criticism)

24. mwcarolina says: Feb 12, 2010 1:21 PM

honestly the commercial wasn’t as bad as many thought it would be, but the best commericials i think were the Doritos ones, the “hands off my mama” one was good, but i liked the anti-bark collar Doritos commerical.

25. GoBrowns19 says: Feb 12, 2010 1:23 PM

If I hadn’t had my highschool girl have an abortion, I might be married with children and miserable today. Instead, I’m single, alone and miserable. So overall, a good choice.

26. jibfest says: Feb 12, 2010 1:27 PM

This is bull, are we supposed to believe that many people changed the channel? They hadn’t seen the commercial but they turned the dial? This is liberal garbage. Abortion is an industry, one that is protected by law and that is why abortion will always be allowed. Too many doctors would be out of work killing those unborn babies.

27. snnyjcbs says: Feb 12, 2010 1:27 PM

I saw nothing wrong with the add. I think people should live and let live and keep what they feel is the right way for them to live their life to themselves. Do not try and force your views down others throats. And that goes for all sides.
    The add sure received it’s moneys worth and the other side gave the add a stature it never would have seen without them. You want to have your Baby have it, you want to abort your Baby abort it, it is your business and to be honest, I could give two ^%$#@ what you decide. Wish you well but could give two ^&*$# how you decide to live your life. In return please keep your nose out of how I live mine.
    Now if more people thought like that and kept their nose in their own behind rather than trying to burry it up other peoples, this Country would be a much better place to live.

28. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Feb 12, 2010 1:34 PM

um ok, and in tellin us this, is this somehow suppose to make his critics feel better about themselves?

29. darlingknight27 says: Feb 12, 2010 1:40 PM

Maybe if they had shown a commercial of Tebow getting aborted it would have done better.
    I know lots of people who would have watched that. Heck, i woulda made dip.

30. Bertil says: Feb 12, 2010 1:43 PM

…even the mancrunch commercial beat it, and THAT was only on YouTube!

31. rockotica says: Feb 12, 2010 1:45 PM

how this is legitimately measured is beyond me. how can you actually tell this? the answer is you can’t. do they have cameras in each living room with optical eye scanners that tell which ppl in the room are looking away during the each commercial?? what about motion sensors that detect when some1 walks away from the TV, and their neck is at an angle that makes seeing the screen impossibly? THIS IS a non story. Nielsen is just one big guesstimating organization, and an inaccurate one at that.

32. GovtMinion says: Feb 12, 2010 1:47 PM

You know, I forgot all about it, but I don’t think I saw the ad at all- when did it air during the game? I must have been away from the TV during it.
    I do remember the Dorito one though… weird as hell, but funny anyway.

33. this class sucks says: Feb 12, 2010 1:49 PM

haha it was the least watched because it was like an E-Harmoney commercial, only with a southern twist (it was his mom).

34. GobiasINC_1 says: Feb 12, 2010 1:53 PM

The Tebow ad sucked, and the ad that was almost as bad was that Doritos ad. What has happened to advertising in this country?

35. Lombardi 6 says: Feb 12, 2010 2:04 PM

..Its like being the shortest Giant–An incredible number of people saw it…

36. Obeah says: Feb 12, 2010 2:18 PM

Cheer up Timmie Tebow your lord and personal Savior Jesus Christ was watching.

37. forte year old virgin says: Feb 12, 2010 2:24 PM

what kind of BS is this, how do they know what commercials you were watching and what commercials were ignored…. I know I took a piss during some of them, TV was on … so was I watching or not, total BS. And actually you are kinda stuck with what they air anyway, unless you flip back and forth to another station..

38. Mr Krinkle says: Feb 12, 2010 2:27 PM

How the hell can they even have ratings for each commercial? Ok, so they are saying people changed the channel to something different most during Tebow’s commercial. First of all, 99% of the tv’s with the super bowl on leave the game on the entire time. Second, for the people that were changing channels, what did they see Tebow and immediately change the channel, assuming it wasn’t worth watching?
    If anything, the ratings of individual commercials has nothing to do with the commercial itself, but what is going on directly before it, like the game or commercials.

39. Mr Krinkle says: Feb 12, 2010 2:29 PM

The bottom 9 commercials were all from before 7 oclock.

40. Alan R says: Feb 12, 2010 2:43 PM

Seriously how do they actually measure this unless people actually changed the channel. Add to the fact that you didn’t even see Tebow until the very end of the commercial so who was changing the channel. I’m not even a Tebow fan nor am I a pro life fanatic. What a crock of crap. This commercial wasn’t even that bad or insulting compared to commercial that had the children reciting alternate words to the Pledge of Allegiance.

41. SDZC says: Feb 12, 2010 2:46 PM

“Abortion is an industry, one that is protected by law and that is why abortion will always be allowed. Too many doctors would be out of work killing those unborn babies.”
    There’s never too many doctors. That’s why they get paid so much. That’s why in the media, no matter which you read, the prognosis is always a shortage of doctors. And if you really want to complain about the systematic incorporation of death into society, go back and listen to Eisenhower. He called it “the military-industrial complex,” and on that issue, he was dead-on.

42. TFBuckFutter says: Feb 12, 2010 2:57 PM

“snnyjcbs says:
    February 12, 2010 1:27 PM
    The add sure received it’s moneys worth and the other side gave the add a stature it never would have seen without them.”
    Yeah. It was ddefinately a goodd use of their addvertising ddollars.
    I’m sure a lot of people visitedd their ddotcom to readd more about it.

43. .VoxVeritas says: Feb 12, 2010 3:25 PM

“There’s never too many doctors. That’s why they get paid so much.”
    Right. Lawyers, too.

44. PeteG427 says: Feb 12, 2010 3:31 PM

Honestly, when Mrs. Tebow’s face appeared on the screen, I thought it was a Public Service Announcement for plastic surgery disasters.

45. olskool711 says: Feb 12, 2010 3:34 PM

It is a woman’s right to slaughter her defenseless baby via the most horrific and painful of methods (saline burn the skin off the little rascal, or just ripping and pulling off the body parts till it dies) and is granted to her by the constitution (brennen’s ruling makes perfect sense, uh…). Any of you fanatic religious nuts who believe anything different are …
    And, we all know how important the US Constitution is to the facist, marxist/leninist, socialist “progressives” that protect us from ourselves.
    Free speech for the left only!!!

46. 2brauneyz says: Feb 12, 2010 3:39 PM

When does the 2010 season start? I’m in withdrawal already.
    But the comments on this thread are helping. Good job by darlingknight27 and GoBrowns19.
    Go Pats!

47. Deb says: Feb 12, 2010 3:52 PM

Didn’t even realize it was the infamous Tebow ad until he appeared on screen two seconds before it ended. Focus on the Family created the controversy by releasing a statement saying the ad would tell her story about not having an abortion. All the resulting pre-game hype brought more publicity–and probably thousands more page hits–than the ad could possibly have generated by itself. What an annoyingly effective strategy.

48. skinsfan20657 says: Feb 12, 2010 4:00 PM

FBuckFutter says: February 12, 2010 2:57 PM
    “snnyjcbs says:
    February 12, 2010 1:27 PM
    Yeah. It was ddefinately a goodd use of their addvertising ddollars.
    I’m sure a lot of people visitedd their ddotcom to readd more about it.
    type much?

49. tlh23 says: Feb 12, 2010 5:04 PM

Maybe people didn’t want to hear how immoral they would be if they followed their doctors life and death recommendations. The whole Tebow story is suspect anyways. Filipino Doctors? Really. I think anybody would have got another opinion no matter what they said, but if the Mayo clinic told you to abort the child or risk death. Is it immoral to do so?
    I’m not pro abortion but it’s not always so black and white as these self righteous Tebows make it out to be.

50. TFBuckFutter says: Feb 12, 2010 6:04 PM

“tlh23 says:
    February 12, 2010 5:04 PM
    Maybe people didn’t want to hear how immoral they would be if they followed their doctors life and death recommendations. The whole Tebow story is suspect anyways. Filipino Doctors? Really. I think anybody would have got another opinion no matter what they said”
    Gloria Allred pointed out that there is NO WAY a doctor in the Phillipines recommended an abortion since it has been completely illegal there since like the 1920s, and any doctor or nurse involved in one would get a mandatory 6 year prison sentence.
    I don’t like the woman, but she makes a good point.

51. ToledoLions says: Feb 12, 2010 8:49 PM

karmathaitch ,
    You have a 52 foot tv? Damn that’s impressive.
    troll_aikman8,
    Population control. We need it now more than ever.
    Bubby Brister ,
    I’m sure there are a couple million who, like me, changed the channel as fast as they could as soon as Teblow’s over-hyped and over-exposed crybaby a** showed his 13 year-old boy face.
    darlingknight27,
    I would have thrown a party as well just to watch that commercial.