Race shouldn't help or hurt Khan's bid for Rams

Some of you took exception with a comment we made on Saturday regarding the question of whether a group of 32 white owners who have had to be forced by the league office to interview minority candidates for key jobs will welcome a non-white owner into the club for the first time in the 90-plus year history of the NFL.

The fact that the man to whom Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez hope to sell their 60-percent stake in the Rams was born in Pakistan and spent the first 16 years of his life there should not be a factor — good or bad — in the question of whether Shahid Khan prevails in his effort to become an NFL owner.  The other owners should not, consciously or otherwise, hold it against him and they should not, consciously or otherwise, give his proposal the benefit of the doubt in the interests of being able to claim that the league is championing the cause of diversity.

Our friend Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch takes up the issue in a Sunday column, and we agree with everything Miklasz says.

In the end, the challenge for the NFL will be to treat Khan’s situation the same as it would if his name were Smith, if he were white, black, or any other color, or if he worships one God or a collection of them.  None of that stuff should matter — in a negative way or a positive way — in connection with the scrutiny of Khan’s bid.

The best interests of the league mandate such an outcome.  Whether it happens remains to be seen.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Race shouldn't help or hurt Khan's bid for Rams”
  1. casey says: Feb 14, 2010 2:16 PM

Race shouldn’t matter… Unless he is a republican commentator…
    Then act like he would single handedly destroy the NFL while laughing and bombing all 31 stadiums he doesn’t own.

2. pramis123 says: Feb 14, 2010 2:18 PM

I totally agree with you, because if the owners do not treat this candidacy the right way, they will have to deal with “The Wrath of Khan”….sorry, could not help myself.

3. Bee_Arthur says: Feb 14, 2010 2:19 PM

You know what … if we just stop talking about all the ingredients that go into “race stew” and just eat it without making note of all the ingredients maybe this wouldn’t be an issue. BUT NOOOO everything has to be a !@#$ing fiasco and nobody can just do anything simple…

4. brainsaw says: Feb 14, 2010 2:22 PM

Beat me to it casey… Yeah, shouldn’t his political views be scrutinized? Isn’t that the standard now?

5. HereThere says: Feb 14, 2010 2:26 PM

Florio is a typical PC hypocrite. He criticized Jay Feeley for talking politics, but gushed over Rooney being appointed ambassador to Ireland. He wouldn’t have minded Al Franken trying to buy the Rams. He has no evidence Kahn’s race would even be an issue, but he’s pretty much pronounced the rest of the NFL owners guilty already.

6. Desides says: Feb 14, 2010 2:29 PM

“But it’s a real concern, and if the cause of political correctness has gone so far off the rails that we can’t acknowledge the obvious issues that will unite or divide us as a people, then count me among those who no longer aspire to be politically correct.”
    Florio, have you ever noticed that only a select few people ever bring up race? They either stand to make money from the issue, are guilty white liberals, or in your case, are both.

7. edgy1957 says: Feb 14, 2010 2:33 PM

I think that some people seemed to have overlooked some of the racist statements made by some of the people HERE in some of the stories that mentioned Khan. A couple of years back, I was up for a job as the network administrator at a church and they hired a less qualified person and I thought maybe it was because of my age OR because he was a relative to one of the people who made decisions. As it turned out, the guy who had recommended me for the job told me that I didn’t get the job because they didn’t want a Muslim working on their network, for fear that I’d be slipping in verses from the Koran or allowing Al-Qaeda access to it. Here’s the kicker: I’m LUTHERAN, Native American, Puerto Rican and I wear a beard. For whatever reason, that beard was why they thought I was an Arab/Muslim. The lesson I learned was that I will always shave my beard before I go in for any interview.

8. RealPervyHarvin says: Feb 14, 2010 2:35 PM

Casey, excellent observation.

9. edgy1957 says: Feb 14, 2010 2:38 PM

# brainsaw says:
    *********************
    Seriously, you think that HIS political views went into that? My God, you should probably look at some of the owners and tell me that there aren’t more than a few that have the same kind of views. It’s his racist crap that got the players to oppose him.

10. Bob S. says: Feb 14, 2010 2:39 PM

IN HIS CASE AS OTHERS LIKE LIMBAUGH it is what he has done in the past AND who he has associated with. Yes, they ignore race at the airport and search everyone of EVERY race/religion EQUALLY but is that fair when only one group is the problem?

11. Slippery Pete says: Feb 14, 2010 2:47 PM

According to Supreme Court cases Race can be a single factor in determining matters such as this, however, they cannot be THE factor that determines the issue. To assess this there needs to a strict scrutiny test used which establishes that using race as a single factor to determine if someone of a different race other than white should own a franchise is being used to remedy passed discrimination of minorities. In order to do this there must be a compelling interest in doing so, it must be narrowly tailored and it must be the least restrictive means possible. Florio, for once, is right. Whether good or bad Race CAN/WILL be a deciding factor whether we like it or not.

12. TryTheVeal says: Feb 14, 2010 2:48 PM

Hell Florio, is this your equalivent of spin doctoring?. You are the one who made the assumption, you are the one who made it seem like every NFL owner made his fortune peddeling “The Turner Diaries”. Yes, alot of them inherited the money or the franchise, but most are international businessmen, and have probably dealt with many different races,religions,etc. They have propsered because of a business accumen. I doubt they all made a fortune operating lemonade stands for the local yokels. I agree the Rooney Rule is degrading to the candidates, but they were smart enough to realize it was good for business,and the NFL is a business, if this candidate for ownership can add one more dollar to their portfolio, you damn well bet he will be approved.

13. rydendonkeys says: Feb 14, 2010 3:12 PM

Anyone who worships imaginary ghosts, goblins, fairies, and all powerful homocidal psychopathic deities that claim to be “all good” should not be allowed to own an NFL team, hold political office, or be allowed to own a weapon of any kind, because they are obviously delusional, easily susceptible to suggestion, and lack the intellect needed to discern fact from fiction.

14. swervinmervin says: Feb 14, 2010 3:21 PM

Bob -
    Only one group is the problem????
    That is the problem with many of you ignorant white republicans.
    “Only one group is the problem…”
    Tell that to the people of Oklahoma who lost family at the hands of Timothy McVeigh. Tell that to the people who have lost loved due to the actions of one of the many hundreds of thousands of AMERICANS in our prisons here in the states. You ignorant fool. There isnt only ONE group that causes harm to people.

15. Anarcho Purplism says: Feb 14, 2010 3:31 PM

There are a certain % of people that consistently look for the “race story” whenever possible. If Khan’s bid fails for legitimate reasons, those that look for racism under every nook & cranny will use this situation as a platform for their agenda.
    The “diversity” agenda often furthers the divide and has become so political that a large segment of society is utterly sick of this issue CONSTANTLY being shoved down their throats. It is VERY often blown way out of proportion. Look at the Duke Lacrosse Non-Rape, non-sexual assault case. That was an absolute frenzy for those with a “diversity” agenda. It was the perfect stew….rich vs. poor, white vs. black & privilege vs. hard-knock-life. Some of the media commentator that jumped in headfirst before the facts came to the surface never backed down from their holy little diversity platform, even after those rich lacrosse players were exonerated & the DA was punished. Some faculty members that participated in the diversity witch-hunt never even apologized to those kids for politically hunting them. What a farce.
    Every year in every school I attended between high-school & college I was pitched to join the “diversity” group because of my unique make-up. Why didn’t they ever engage with the WASPs? I usually found those people more racist & divisive than the average white person.
    If diversity is an issue here, it will be to Khan’s benefit in this “pc world.”
    Don’t you realize the color most people see is green?
    An owner from Pakistan makes the league potentially more marketable to morons who buy into it.

16. Viper21 says: Feb 14, 2010 3:35 PM

I agree his race shouldnt matter. His financial strength, & integrity should be the deciding factors.
    Although, I do agree with the others’ assessments or references to Limbaugh. He got a raw deal. Limbaugh is actually an NFL Fan who happens to have a ton of cash. Where the NFL missed the mark with Limbaugh…. he has a platform to further advance the NFL agenda. I think that the real reason the NFL didnt want him is because Rush woulda called it like he saw it, and didnt want him privy to the behind the scenes info, as he has quite a following.
    I also agree, that if Al Franken had Limbaughs cash, & interest, he’d already own the Rams.

17. Child_Please! says: Feb 14, 2010 3:51 PM

There goes the neighborhood!!!!!

18. ☻☼CBS, FOX, ESPN, NFLN nbc says: Feb 14, 2010 3:54 PM

If Florio is not politically correct how come non of the comments disagreeing with you never get posted?

19. Outlaw Jersey Whales says: Feb 14, 2010 4:09 PM

Didn’t Khan make all his money selling Pakistan’s nuclear weapons technology to Iran, North Korea and Libya, among others?
    Nice work if you can get it!

20. GoBrowns19 says: Feb 14, 2010 4:13 PM

Well, I’m sorry but, this day and age, people of middle eastern descent NEED to be scrutinized. A total background check needs done as well as that of his family and friends.
    What if he does have some alterior motive and has been planning this since he moved from Pakistan for one reason or another to do harm to, say, 70,000 fans on an autumn sunday. It’s an unfortunate thing, but it is the “war” we’re fighting is it not?

21. tom coughlin's coat holder says: Feb 14, 2010 4:17 PM

@try the veal..love that handle.you might as well stick this pc garbage where the light don’t shine.when everyone casts a vote on whether mr. khan is a new owner or not,all bets are off, believe me it’s all about the mo ne.
    that how businees works,is it good for the nfl?

22. TheDPR says: Feb 14, 2010 4:56 PM

Being against someone because of their religion isn’t racism, it’s sectarian discrimination or religious discrimination.
    Opposition to Khan has nothing to do with race. At all.

23. WashingtonRedstorms says: Feb 14, 2010 5:03 PM

Yes, we all know Pakistani citizens are liberal and open minded Democrats who love America.

24. Route36West says: Feb 14, 2010 5:04 PM

Florio quit crying you bring on yourself.
    You nit pick every single word that a player, coach, owner, agent,website,tv analyst etc. says and even when they dont say anything you try to make it seem like that means they’re really saying something. You put words in peoples mouthes and try to make something out of nothing. You also accuse alot of players, teams etc of having hidden agendas and lieing or tell them their wrong.
    So of course everything you say is going to come back to you in the same way you put it out there. If you dont like it stop doing it yourself. Get used to it.

25. edgy1957 says: Feb 14, 2010 5:17 PM

# Outlaw Jersey Whales says:
    Nice work if you can get it!
    **********************
    Talk about out and out LIES. The guy came to this country at age 16 and made his money in the automobile industry. I suppose your a birther, as well..

26. Bob S. says: Feb 14, 2010 5:45 PM

swervinmervin says:
    Bob -
    Only one group is the problem????
    That is the problem with many of you ignorant white republicans.
    Tell that to the people of Oklahoma

In 99.9% of these occurences over the last 30 years! And McVeigh had been right there in Iraq, something there changed that nut-job’s mind. AND it was said from the word go, he was with a middle-eastern man in the truck. And a TV reporter ended up being silenced and fired as it was completely covered up under the Clinton administration. It is is still unclear who was involved with McVeigh , but fact is 99% of these incidents are committed by islamists and if this guy has donated money to any of their organizations it is far worse than a Limbaugh whose thoughts you lefties don’t like.

27. Cornerdenizen says: Feb 14, 2010 6:27 PM

@edgy:
    Agreed! Great stuff man.
    @Viper 21:
    The NFL is at its core, an exclusive club. The team owners decide who gains access. Period. They didnt want Limbaugh because Limbaugh just doesnt fit in. Not his ploitics per se. ( These guys are all filthy rich, and most of them somewhat socially detached, so it stands to reason a good lot of them share Limbaugh’s view of the world)
    With the exception of Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder, the other owners maintain mostly low profiles. That’s something Limbaugh could never do.

28. hotchick says: Feb 14, 2010 7:01 PM

Again, show me where the man not being names “Smith” has been a factor either way, then I’ll believe there is a story.
    The issue people took with the first posting was that FLORIO was the one blindly accusing the 31 owners of not being able to make a decision without factoring race. (or possibly not being able to)
    From what I had seen not many people had noticed his name wasn’t Smith, except Florio. So the question is then, why was Florio so quick to notice?

29. TheWizard says: Feb 14, 2010 8:09 PM

Cornerdenizen
    I doubt you understand the TV test pattern, let alone Rush Limbaugh.
    You people that have never listened to even one of his shows are so obvious, and too stupid to realize it.

30. swervinmervin says: Feb 14, 2010 8:18 PM

Bob-
    Are you nuts???
    Look at our prisons! Full of rapists, murderers, and child molesters. And guess what? All of them are AMERICANS! And most of the child molesters are white dudes.
    Does that means we need to start randomly searching white guys with mustaches because they could be child molesters?!
    You’re nuts. Let me guess – youre a tea bagger.

31. swervinmervin says: Feb 14, 2010 8:23 PM

The NFL owners are old, Republican Christian men. Would it be a complete shocker if they were biggots? Man, some of you are delusional.
    Dont forget that there are also a few Zionist owners. Bob Kraft is one. I wonder if he wants a muslim owner?

32. Bob S. says: Feb 14, 2010 9:24 PM

swervinmervin says:
    Bob-
    Are you nuts???
    And most of the child molesters are white dudes.

yes, OF COURSE if they were doing it, lets say picking them kids up outside schools or shopping malls OF COURSE – criminal profile them by
    “white guys with mustaches” if they were the ones doing that crime NOT white grandmothers or girls or white men and boys at airports because arab/muslims are doing 99% of those incidents.
    it is called criminal profiling- not racial profiling- and if the doer of the crime is 7 foot tall men – it is not height profiling to ONLY question and stop 7 feet tall men.

33. TheWizard says: Feb 14, 2010 10:15 PM

Let me guess – youre a tea bagger.
    If your ideas are no good, resort to vulgar name calling.
    Liberal.

34. Cornerdenizen says: Feb 14, 2010 10:27 PM

@The Wizard:
    me seems to have struck a nerve of the average white man.
    What part of Limbaugh’s “genuis” do I not understand?
    The part where he ocasionally has that black man (I’m sorry, his name escapes me now) to do his show in his stead? This, of course, makes him seem “objective” to those who need something, anything, to make them feel okay with being ‘uncomfortable’ with anyone who isn’t the average white male.
    Is that what I’m missing? Or is the fact that Limbaugh knows how to drum up controversy, aka Barack the Magic Negro–which he cited after someone else oh so cleverly coined the phrase.
    Is that what I’m missing? Am I missing the very obvious fact that Limbaugh is a shock jock who’ll do or say anything to get people pissed off and jack up ratings?
    Im curious because I don’t know. I do know–from the evidence stated above–that Limbaugh is not the keeper of a low profile. And this, of course, was my original point.

35. Wolframpau says: Feb 14, 2010 10:30 PM

Irsay is a Democrat, I believe.

36. TheWizard says: Feb 14, 2010 10:49 PM

We’re uncomfortable mostly with idiots.
    Perhaps you’ll seem smarter if you comment on subjects you actually have some knowledge of.
    Good luck.

37. Outlaw Jersey Whales says: Feb 15, 2010 7:27 AM

edgy1957
    You don’t really pay attention to world affairs or understand an attempt to lighten the mood of this insipid conversation beyond the point of “pull my finger”, do you?
    Run a search on A.Q. Khan. Maybe you’ll then get it. Then you can forget it to make room for more nonsense.

38. Outlaw Jersey Whales says: Feb 15, 2010 9:20 AM

edgy1957
    Your response bordered on hysteria. You can’t be serious.
    Try running a search on an Abdul Qadeer Khan and then maybe you’ll get where I was going. You know, a little humor to lighten the mood of this earth-shaking discussion?

39. runtheball says: Feb 15, 2010 10:27 AM

Despite what you have been brainwashed to believe most of the Rich NFL owners are Democrats. Lucia Rodriguez husband is a minority and technically and owner.

40. edgy1957 says: Feb 15, 2010 11:21 AM

Outlaw Jersey Whales, yeah, it’s all funny until someone loses an eye. I bet if I did a half assed search on you name that I’d find a couple of pedophiles to link to you – bet you wouldn’t find that too funny, now would you…

41. Outlaw Jersey Whales says: Feb 16, 2010 6:42 AM

edgy1957
    Did you lose an eye? I’ll look around for it.
    Just admit you didn’t get the reference and let it go. You’ll feel better.
    That’s a real catchy rejoinder. Pedophiles. I’ll bet you were captain of your debate team.
    As for half-assed searches, I’m sure you are eminently qualified to conduct one.
    ———————————————-
    And since you previously brought this blather up,
    edgy1957 says:
    February 14, 2010 2:33 PM
    Well, maybe they didn’t like your “edgy” personality. Maybe the “less qualified” person didn’t have an “edgy” personality.
    As far as lesson learned… I really don’t think it was the beard that crabbed the deal. I think it probably was a bad idea to be
    ululating loudly, chanting “Death to the Great Satan” and lighting the laces to your shoes. During your interview.