Saints will franchise Sharper, unless they don't

NFL_sharper.jpgOur ongoing effort to bury the hatchet with ESPN doesn’t mean that we won’t periodically point out contradictions arising from their burgeoning army of NFL reporters and analysts.

Case in point — on the current SportsCenter loop, Adam Schefter suggests that the Saints are giving serious thought to applying the franchise tag to safety Darren Sharper, who’ll otherwise be an unrestricted free agent on March 5.

But ESPN.com’s Len Pasquarelli recently wrote that the Saints already have said they won’t apply the franchise tag to Sharper.

We’re trying to find out the answer.  (Maybe John Clayton can break the tie.)

As our own pool of writers continues to grow, we realize that the same thing could happen here from time to time.  In the event of such an occurrence, here’s a safe rule of thumb.

If there’s a conflict between two of the others, the guy who ends up being right gets a Water Pik, and the loser gets fired.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Contracts, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
34 Responses to “Saints will franchise Sharper, unless they don't”
  1. ICDogg says: Feb 15, 2010 11:51 AM

I guess they can change their minds back and forth as much as they want… for a couple of weeks still.

2. Pack_Attack says: Feb 15, 2010 11:51 AM

You have to be kidding me. Sharper blows. The guy hasnt made a tackle in 6 years.

3. TheVillain112 says: Feb 15, 2010 11:57 AM

I hear Brett Favre is coming back, unless he doesn’t.

4. rolltide says: Feb 15, 2010 11:58 AM

How about this “If there’s a conflict between the two, trust the guy not named Adam Schefter”. That guy has a 0% accuracy rate since leaving NFLN.

5. Doctor Connors says: Feb 15, 2010 11:59 AM

And the Patriots will win the Super Bowl, unless they don’t.

6. Osterhouse says: Feb 15, 2010 11:59 AM

I miss the old days…or at least the comment rating days and taco bill or whatever his name was

7. Chapnasty2 says: Feb 15, 2010 12:01 PM

Hillarious article Florio

8. Thor_of_Valhalla says: Feb 15, 2010 12:04 PM

I agree Osterhouse… Can we at least have a “pic of the day” or something?

9. RayDaMayor says: Feb 15, 2010 12:13 PM

In Other Breaking News……
    “In Kiln, Mississippi today, Brett Farve said that if Darren Sharper comes back to play for the New Orleans Saints, he will certainly, most likely, almost for sure, maybe retire. However, if the Saints franchise Sharper, he is almost for sure coming back next year.”
    Well that clears everything up.
    Florio

10. Snowplow says: Feb 15, 2010 12:15 PM

There will be no lockout in 2011.. unless there is.

11. imabigdog says: Feb 15, 2010 12:21 PM

“If the conflict is between something I’ve written and anyone else, my item is the rock and the other one is a pair of those safety scissors that can’t cut thick air”
    Does that apply to you saying the Saints are scheduled to play the SAINTS at home this year?

12. SF Saints Fan says: Feb 15, 2010 12:23 PM

And, the Saints will either win the Super Bowl…..again, or they won’t. ESPN is about as up on things as Florio. Which is not saying much.

13. BBrophy1 says: Feb 15, 2010 12:26 PM

you’re not giving away that water pik!
    serenity now!

14. gopher says: Feb 15, 2010 12:33 PM

I hear that ESPN and NFL Network have reporters at Sharpers front yard.

15. Slow Joe says: Feb 15, 2010 12:35 PM

Comment ratings! Automatic comment approvals!

16. Bob Sacamono says: Feb 15, 2010 12:40 PM

YOU’RE NOT GIVING AWAY MY WATER PIK!!!

17. hotpepper says: Feb 15, 2010 12:46 PM

The Saints may or may not franchise Darren Sharper.

18. SkinsCapsWizNats says: Feb 15, 2010 12:58 PM

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Too funny.

19. turboreattore says: Feb 15, 2010 12:59 PM

pack attack, Sharper is a future hall of famer, he has been the best defensive player of the Saints this year, 9 int and 3 TD if you don’t remember. He’s not the best run block safety, but who cares if he intercepts over 60 passes and scores 15 td?
    Any body cares Deion Sanders was one of the worst CB in run stopping? He was one of the best CB ever anyway.

20. FireJerryJones says: Feb 15, 2010 1:03 PM

So… the NBC policy is that all reporters must share the same information, sources and opinions then?

21. scrapdawg12 says: Feb 15, 2010 1:21 PM

Sharper isn’t worth a franchise tag. I’d let him walk.

22. Sports-Enthusiast says: Feb 15, 2010 1:42 PM

“… unless, of course, my articles have to do with [my favorite team] the Vikings or [my hero and role-model] Favre, which make up about 90% of everything I write… then you may as well as remove any and all credibility from anything I say, because in the interest of full disclosure I am truly a closet-Vikings fan.”

23. east96street says: Feb 15, 2010 1:48 PM

“If there’s a conflict between two of the others, … and the loser gets fired.”
    Given the abysmal writing by Rosenthal and laundry list of mistakes made by Silva, I was under the impression that it’s impossible to get fired from PFT. Certainly, competency plays NO role as whether they stay or not.

24. jknock625 says: Feb 15, 2010 2:06 PM

Sharper wants to come back to the Saints – he’s a smart guy and he knows that 1) he fits better in the Saints D than anywhere else, and 2) he’s at the stage of his career where championships become more important, so staying with a contender becomes more important. Minutes after they won their first SB, Sharper was already chanting “repeat, repeat”.
    The Saints don’t have to tag him – they can let him see what’s out there and then match whatever offers he gets. It’ll still be less than the cost of the tag.

25. jknock625 says: Feb 15, 2010 2:09 PM

Yeah, I trust Florio 100% – he was dead on with his prediction about “even if the Saints did all 3 of the vital things they needed to do to win the Super Bowl, they still wouldn’t win”.

26. C_Munk says: Feb 15, 2010 2:09 PM

pack attack…
    I dont have to tell you why your wrong because turboreattore already did. Plus I will add that he did have 71 tackles this year, and hasnt had less than 50 since 2001 and that year he had 94 for the Packers. The dude can tackle, addai just made him look like a fool in the SB. Everyone has that moment.
    But here is why you say what you do: You are mad that he isnt playing for the Packers any more. I would love to see N.O. let him go and Mr. “Big Show” Holgrem makes a move on him. Great mentor to the young safeties we will bring in.

27. BBB82 says: Feb 15, 2010 2:25 PM

Booooring…. Bring me a more interesting story, Florio. Quick, like a rabbit.

28. Bob says: Feb 15, 2010 2:35 PM

Thank you, Frank Costanza. So long, Lloyd Braun.

29. Peoples Champ says: Feb 15, 2010 2:43 PM

@ Pack Attack:
    Kevin Faulk disagrees with that statement.

30. artieblanksucsbigD says: Feb 15, 2010 2:50 PM

Florio says:
    “If the conflict is between something I’ve written and anyone else, my item is the rock and the other one is a pair of those safety scissors that can’t cut thick air.”
    you must use those scissors when u r prognosticating football game winners because u suck at it.

31. Pack_Attack says: Feb 15, 2010 3:44 PM

@ Pack Attack:
    Kevin Faulk disagrees with that statement.
    ____________________________
    sorry, learn football, this isnt a tackle. theres a reason why his contracts dont get renewed. he’s a showboat. Most of his picks are meaningless-end-of-game stuff. He would never be my choice as a starter on D and no, I wasnt sad to see him leave Green Bay.

32. scomibord says: Feb 15, 2010 4:21 PM

# scrapdawg12 says: February 15, 2010 1:21 PM
    Sharper isn’t worth a franchise tag. I’d let him walk.
    I guess that’s why you’re here posting idiotic comments and not running an NFL team’s front office.
    33% of his picks were returned for touchdowns this season. He is the all-time leader for INT return yardage. Career INT AND pick six leader among active players. Douchebag!!!! and nothing drives home the point like a PERIOD!

33. TechnoHawk says: Feb 15, 2010 6:45 PM

Is it ESPN’s responsibility to maintain consistency within its own reporting pool? When does ESPN let the schism creator go?

34. Kasper Gutman says: Feb 15, 2010 8:24 PM