Deion Branch "would love to be" back in New England

NFL_branch_250.jpgMore than three years ago, receiver Deion Branch staged an extended holdout in New England because Branch wasn’t happy that his rookie contract carried a fifth year.  Eventually, he forced a trade to Seattle.

Since then, Branch has been a non-factor.

But now that his salary nudges from $4.97 million to $5.47 million and given that he’s one more year removed from his days of faded greatness, Branch might need a new home.

And Branch apparently wouldn’t be averse to coming back to New England.

“You know what, I talk to guys all the time. I never wanted to leave, nor did Coach Belichick and his staff and the organization want me to leave, either,” Branch told Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald.  “We just couldn’t get the contractual part down.  We just couldn’t come to an agreement. And that stuff happens. . . .  I still love coach Belichick, and if the opportunity presents itself to come back, I would love to be there. . . .

“I still talk to Tom [Brady] to this day,” Branch added.  “And the crazy part is, you never lose that relationship with guys, especially when you do something special, which is what we did in my first four years in New England.  I still talk with half of the team.  To this day, I still talk with half of the guys that were on the team with me.  It’s a special bond.  For us to reunite, I don’t know.  I would probably be crying at the press conference, if it happens.  Look, I’ve enjoyed my time with the Seahawks.  I would love to stay in Seattle.  But if it happens, if it presents itself, that would be great.”

That said, injuries have kept Branch from being the player he once was, and he’d be relegated to a secondary role, given the presence of Randy Moss and Wes Welker on the team.  But if he’s not going to be a starter in any other town, Branch might as well go back to New England.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Deion Branch "would love to be" back in New England”
  1. gooselife says: Feb 17, 2010 11:00 PM

PATHETIC…..please seahawks, dump this effin bum!

2. Al Davis is my Christ says: Feb 17, 2010 11:05 PM

so if a player is under contract and says he’d like to play for another team does that constitute tampering? get on it mike

3. this class sucks says: Feb 17, 2010 11:27 PM

Well NE should be happy to take him because they can’t win a SB without him

4. mikecal645 says: Feb 17, 2010 11:33 PM

I am sick of all the Branch talk in Boston. I don’t want him he left the Pats high and dry that season because he thought he was a top notch WR when he wasn’t.

5. Silver&Black666 says: Feb 17, 2010 11:34 PM

Deion Branch “Would love to be able to play football again” Lets be realistic this guy has not shown up to work for about three years…..we have a few guys like that in Oakland.

6. joshk33 says: Feb 17, 2010 11:42 PM

Al, a player can’t tamper. Anyway, Mike, you forgot a huge point for both Branch & Pats – Welker likely may miss 6 weeks on PUP…

7. Jackson 2 says: Feb 17, 2010 11:44 PM

It’s tampering if the team says it would like a player under contract with another team to play for them. You have it backwards, Einstein.

8. JustinG says: Feb 17, 2010 11:46 PM

Why would New England want to have Branch, a non factor for 3 seasons, on their team? This guy is washed up, leeching money that he doesn’t deserve anymore.

9. BurkieInBoston says: Feb 17, 2010 11:49 PM

I’d rather have Branch as a #3 than Sam Aiken.

10. Rhymes with Punt says: Feb 18, 2010 12:07 AM

is there such a thing as reverse tampering? lol We would love to have you back!

11. FumbleNuts says: Feb 18, 2010 12:10 AM

“He’d be relegated to a secondary role, given the presence of Randy Moss and Wes Welker on the team.”
    Send the dude back to the East Coast. Another Tim Rust-Skull boneheaded move from the past.

12. VASeahawk says: Feb 18, 2010 12:16 AM

Total waste of a 1st round pick. He sucked HARD in his time in Seattle. Hope he is successful somewhere else…anywhere else….just get out of town…leave….skeedaddle…

13. noFatchicksAllowedguy says: Feb 18, 2010 12:33 AM

of course he would like to come back. He finally got paid and now he wants to win. The Seahawks should not ever leave WR scouting to themselves. They should do like an internship with locals from town with that spot. Nate burleson, T.J. whos your mam, deion branch and not to mention koren robinson have made a mockery of the position…but checks still cash homie!

14. DolfanBlk says: Feb 18, 2010 12:43 AM

Deion com’on man. You made a big fuss held out now u wanna come back. pls man go to the browns man, new england aint gonna take u back man, u wanted somebody to show you the money, well you got it, cant have your cake and team too.

15. toonster says: Feb 18, 2010 12:47 AM

He was overpaid for by the Seahawks, but back in New England, in the spread attack that can hide him, with his quickness that Joey Galloway lacked, I could see Deion being a nice fit there.
    That said, there’s Brandon Tate, Julian Edelman. The former has good potential, with some explosiveness and quickness, while the latter probably could fill the role Branch would come back to, as a 3rd receiver that can work the slot at times, but in general, be a consistent guy.
    So, no, I don’t see Branch going back unless it’s on the minimum. I could see him go to Denver or Kansas City, though, both cities where he would have a decent grasp of the offense and where his quickness could excel in the more wide open, spread attacks that Weis and McDaniel bring.

16. Manbearpig says: Feb 18, 2010 1:05 AM

I’d love to be back in New England too if I was him. They never play anybody. And when they do (Ravens), they lose.

17. prophet of the light says: Feb 18, 2010 1:56 AM

I’ll take him back. Gladly.

18. HEPennypacker says: Feb 18, 2010 2:02 AM

As a Pats fan I would actually love to see Deion back (at a lower salary of course). Him and Tom had some pretty good chemistry when he was here and we could use the help.
    By the end of the playoff game against the Ravens we had a total of two WRs left on the team, using our third down back and a special teams safety in our four wide sets.

19. Drew says: Feb 18, 2010 4:01 AM

I’d say Deion would LOVE to get out of Seattle

20. 8man says: Feb 18, 2010 6:39 AM

I’m a Patriots fan and he had some great years with the boys, but this is essentially moving back in to live with your parents.
    Then again, Welker won’t be back in the lineup until week 7 at the earliest. Brady needs someone to throw to.

21. RichieBugs83 says: Feb 18, 2010 6:55 AM

I’d love to play in New England too. But I can’t, because I suck, not unlike Deion Branch.

22. ampats says: Feb 18, 2010 7:07 AM

Agreed gooselife. Seahawks please dump Branch!!
    In about 5 minutes, there will be a NW flight ready to bring him back to Boston.
    Injuries or not his career will be resurrected with Brady . Sometimes its the right organization that a player thrives in.
    How many times have we seen other players leave NE and disappear??

23. last starfighter says: Feb 18, 2010 8:17 AM

It’s tough to say these days which teams fans have become the most obnoxious and arrogant. I’d say the cowboys have been clearly surpasses by NE fans with vikings fans making a strong push. It’s especially entertaining in the case of NE as they continue their decent towards mediocrity. The fans are still convinced it’s an elite team, LOL.

24. READY2CRUSH says: Feb 18, 2010 8:22 AM

My Dolphins receivers are horrible but I’d take all of them over this bum. Why the hell would the Patriots want another past his prime “Joey Galloway” experiment. J. Edelman filled in great for Welker and they’ll probably draft a WR at some point since Moss is getting long in the tooth. Branch, sorry buddy but start getting ready for the S. Alexander and E. James, unwanted/irrelevant list.

25. GRpatriot says: Feb 18, 2010 8:30 AM

Name a Seahawks perrenially great WR?
    Branch is more like Welker. More quick than fast. He isn’t a west coast receiver, not a pun!
    AD for Branch, no compensation. Both of these players maybe didn’t get to showcase their skills because of scheme…

26. MistrezzRachael says: Feb 18, 2010 8:43 AM

Some players only function well in a certain type system.
    I’d wager that Branch probably heard the horror stories about Pete Carroll country club when in NE. Those years remind me of current Chargers…immense talent, but lack of discipline on field and leadership .
    Every time I watched a Carroll coached team, I saw more penalties than any other. His pro teams averaged 12 men on field three times/game…and this was before NFL instituted new rule.
    So, does Branch want out of that Toga Party?…Who wouldn’t?

27. WTE says: Feb 18, 2010 8:44 AM

Branch said, “We just couldn’t get the contractual part down. We just couldn’t come to an agreement.”
    Ummm. You had a contract down. There was an agreement. There was one year left on the contract with New England that YOU signed!
    Deion chose not to honor his agreement and then he got what he deserved- 4 crappy years in Seattle.

28. SixburghDynasty says: Feb 18, 2010 8:48 AM

Branch should be jailed for robbing the Seahawks of that cash they paid him, what a waste.
    Go back with the Patriots, Deion. You’ll be like most of those other bums that showed their true colors and haven’t done anything since the Pats were caught cheating.
    Win 1 without cheating, Patriots, and maybe i’d respect you.

29. grape-ape says: Feb 18, 2010 9:13 AM

last starfighter says:
    February 18, 2010 8:17 AM
    ————-
    Decent towards mediocrity
    based on what???
    Moron!!!!!

30. TheWizard says: Feb 18, 2010 9:14 AM

I don’t see Belichick trying to recapture the old magic with this guy.
    Bill isn’t exactly the forgive and forget type.

31. HarrisonHits says: Feb 18, 2010 9:21 AM

Hey if he wants to come back to the Pats for vet minimum he’d be worth a shot for training camp. A penny more than that and no way.

32. Cro-Mags says: Feb 18, 2010 9:25 AM

# GRpatriot says: February 18, 2010 8:30 AM
    AD for Branch, no compensation.
    Yeah, our garbage for your garbage.

33. bpearse says: Feb 18, 2010 9:57 AM

Quick Mike, make some sort of tampering comment.

34. 8man says: Feb 18, 2010 10:22 AM

SixburghDynasty says:
    February 18, 2010 8:48 AM
    Win 1 without cheating, Patriots, and maybe i’d respect you.
    Oh, so the three or four super Bowls the Steelers won in the ’70’s with their entire offensive line roided up doesn’t count?
    Yeah, cuz video taping downs and distance is so much of an advantage over juicing.
    You make me want to buy tickets the next Ravens-Shitburgh game so I can find you and punch you in your mouth. Not that it would matter, since you probably have no teeth.
    It’s amazing how easy it is to hate Squealer fans.

35. PFTiswhatitis says: Feb 18, 2010 10:27 AM

@SixburghDynasty : as if anyone needs your respect. get a clue loser.

36. Bell63 says: Feb 18, 2010 10:40 AM

I’d love the Pats to get him back via a trade with Seattle. Maybe for a 7th rounder or something. I still chuckle at how bad NE hosed Seattle in that trade.

37. Bill Cowher's Chin says: Feb 18, 2010 11:25 AM

# PFTiswhatitis says: February 18, 2010 10:27 AM
    @SixburghDynasty : as if anyone needs your respect. get a clue loser.
    ________________________________
    Hahahahaha, classic, LMFAO. There yo go Starfighter, there s your answer, Pissburgh still remains the most arrogant and obnoxious. Hahaha. Only a Steelers fan would think that they are SOOO important, that everyone should strive for their respect…..lol

38. Matt Walsh says: Feb 18, 2010 11:26 AM

Deion,
    As far as we know there are no more cameras rolling in NE these days, your phony production which was greatly aided by them will not be easy to come by.
    Who knows maybe Belicheat is still wiring up his players with microphones and has found new ways to skirt the rules.

39. AZ Red Bird says: Feb 18, 2010 11:33 AM

The fool played like a fool for 3 years and some team actually thinks he’s going to be able to turn it on now….fool please.
    He hasn’t ran a full on route in 3 years. He played and looked like a 3rd string backup hoping not to get injured.
    I wouldn’t want him in AZ if he signed for league min.
    Quitters are not welcome where I come from…I want people who are going to do their best…NO MATTER where they play…he didn’t do that…and shame on any team taking him…

40. dbara43 says: Feb 18, 2010 1:09 PM

What a coincidence. All of us Seahawk fans would love to have him back in New England too. Especially if we could get that first round draft pick back.

41. The Real Shuxion says: Feb 18, 2010 8:44 PM

# SixburghDynasty says: February 18, 2010 8:48 AM
    Win 1 without cheating, Patriots, and maybe i’d respect you.
    —————————————————————–
    Is your best linebacker off cycle yet?