Lions cut prices on season tickets

The Detroit Lions made season tickets available for purchase today, and in response to the tough time they had selling out Ford Field in 2009, they’ve lowered the prices of 19,000 of those season tickets.

“Season-ticket holders are critically important to us, and we want to treat them accordingly,” Lions President Tom Lewand said. “They provide us with a tremendous foundation of support.”

But that foundation of support has declined in recent years, thanks to the economy and the Lions’ pathetic record. In 2009 four of the Lions’ eight regular-season home games failed to sell out and were blacked out on local television.

It remains to be seen whether a decrease in ticket prices will lead to an increase in the number of games available to fans on local television. To ensure sellouts, the Lions may have to make their on-field product better, and not just cheaper.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
13 Responses to “Lions cut prices on season tickets”
  1. Contra says: Feb 17, 2010 1:39 PM

Its the very least they can do.

2. BradyGazelle says: Feb 17, 2010 1:56 PM

Are they going to make them $9 a game like the Jaguars?

3. Nittany Munchkins says: Feb 17, 2010 1:57 PM

They can lower the price of “Poop in a Bag” to a dollar. That doesn’t mean anyone would want to buy it.

4. topcide says: Feb 17, 2010 2:22 PM

Lifelong lions fan and michgan resident here.
    While I agree that if they were winning the stands would be much more filled, even with a price reduction going to an NFL game is still pretty ouch of reach for many fans.
    Lets say im the average fan trying to take his son to a game.
    . I get a coudple of single game tickets. I spring for 2 halfway decent seats , $50 a pop. figure $10-20 to park the car, get the kid a $4.50 hotdog and a 3 coke, myself a hot dog and a coke, and then get a $6 beer. Maybe at half time I get the kid and me a couple of $3 pretzles, another beer and get the kid another coke, and grab him a $25 t-shirt and maybe a $5 gameday magazine.
    Thats $176 right there for one afternoon. Not to mention dealing some jackass that spilled his beer all over me, and the 2 other drunken jackasses that got into a fight in the stands.
    Sunday ticket is $350 a season, plus $80 a month that you pay for cable anyway.

5. goodjuan says: Feb 17, 2010 2:40 PM

saved me $200. woo hoo.

6. Obeah says: Feb 17, 2010 3:00 PM

Cut ticket prices, raise beer prices. if you can get them there they will spend money.

7. dgreenfi says: Feb 17, 2010 3:05 PM

Perhaps a late reaction to Barry Sanders retirement?

8. Treima says: Feb 17, 2010 3:11 PM

Nobody wants to watch the Lions play. Well, besides the Lions’ opponents. I saw some guy at a convention I went to recently wearing a Stafford jersey and a Detroit cap. I couldn’t help but feel sorry for the poor soul.

9. Sportnman says: Feb 17, 2010 4:00 PM

@Obeah says:
    Excellent observation.

10. QVIST says: Feb 17, 2010 4:10 PM

In case they haven’t noticed, there has been a boycott of supporting the Lions financially in the state of Michigan for a couple years now. It’s the product on the field that is the problem.
    I feel like Schwartz could seriously turn it around after a few more drafts, but it’s going to be a while before they’re even close to successful.

11. GoJags436 says: Feb 17, 2010 4:19 PM

BradyGazelle, you’re an idiot.
    The Jaguars reduced certain tickets $9 per game. The cheapest season ticket for the Jags can now be had for $300. That’s $30 per game.

12. JSpicoli says: Feb 17, 2010 4:58 PM

Sign of the times, not just for the Lions. Sports in general and the NFL in particular are headed for a crossroad (Eric Clapton). The prices and the salaries cannot just keep rising to infinity. Something has to give.
    Bubble coming. Watch.

13. Bious says: Feb 17, 2010 8:23 PM

They could be free and I am not sure it would make much of a difference