New Arena League targets four markets for expansion

The new Arena Football League will reboot with 15 teams this April, but Commissioner Jerry Kurz intends that number to grow in 2011.

Kurz and other notable names like Chicago Rush co-owner Mike Ditka and Arizona Rattlers President Danny White spoke on a conference call with the media designed to re-introduce the league.

Here are a few highlights:

* The league is targeting four markets for expansion in 2011:  Philadelphia, Denver, Pittsburgh, and Southern California.  Applications from many other markets will be considered.  Kansas City was mentioned as a possibility as well.

* Kurz stressed the league would love to get the Philadelphia Soul team led by Jon Bon Jovi and Ron Jaworski back on board.  Kurz said no one has done more for the league than Bon Jovi and his group.  The new AFL has been in talks to bring the Soul back.

* There are no NFL owners involved with the 15 current teams.  It’s believed Bernie Kosar, co-owner and president of the Cleveland Gladiators, remains in an advisory role with the Browns.

* NFL Network will broadcast live games on Friday nights at 8:00 p.m. ET for 18 weeks, starting April 2.  Kurz believed being “associated with the best” was important.  Other games will be carried in local markets.  All games will be carried live online.

* Everyone stressed that all owners would participate in active management of the league.  “The owners we have aren’t treating this is as a toy,” Ditka said. “It’s an investment.”

* One coach mentioned that the league could benefit from uncertain labor situations in the NFL and NBA.

And that’s about all the Arena Football league news for you this Wednesday.  We haven’t spent a lot of time watching the sport, but more football is never a bad thing and we wish the reconstituted league good luck.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
32 Responses to “New Arena League targets four markets for expansion”
  1. TheBigTuna2 says: Feb 17, 2010 2:41 PM

I thought this was “Pro” Football Talk.

2. Big Stretch says: Feb 17, 2010 2:45 PM

“………more football is never a bad thing and we wish the reformed league good luck.”
    ————————————————-
    you sure about this statement?
    anyone remeber the XFL or the NFL Europe, or the soon to be bust UFL.

3. Florios Left Testy says: Feb 17, 2010 2:56 PM

It is, and the Arena league is a “Pro” football league …. moron.

4. Goose says: Feb 17, 2010 2:57 PM

I had no idea The Big Tuna was the baron of what is and isn’t pro football.

5. Action Dan says: Feb 17, 2010 2:58 PM

While I’m sure this space will be filled with people hating on Arena Football, I’m all for it.
    I plan on going to many Milwaukee Iron games this year. It’s cheap entertainment and of course it’s nothing like the NFL, but it’s football.
    And you can do it several times per season on the cheap as a family.
    For the cost of 1 Packers ticket, you can get a family of 4 in the door of the Bradley Center with $ to spare.

6. Tr3pidation says: Feb 17, 2010 3:00 PM

That means the first game aired will be at Deaf Valley, SPOKANE SHOCK! WHOOOOOO!

7. raiders177 says: Feb 17, 2010 3:01 PM

Interesting, I saw a job posting in the San Jose area for a San Jose Arena Football team, I thought they were getting a team.

8. Shademan says: Feb 17, 2010 3:05 PM

TheBigTuna2 says:
    February 17, 2010 2:41 PM
    I thought this was “Pro” Football Talk.
    Isnt arena football a form of pro football?

9. Ches says: Feb 17, 2010 3:05 PM

TheBigTuna2
    The Arena is professional.
    Some of us enjoy the AFL. Personally I feel that it is great that PFT is following them, will help the league a lot.
    Heck, it might not be long before the AFL and UFL is what we will have to watch if the NFL goes on a lockout. Don’t get too far caught up in the stardom of the NFL to miss out on other great football games.

10. Kurt M. Weber says: Feb 17, 2010 3:06 PM

Arena Football League is a professional league, is it not? The players get paid, do they not?

11. BleedGreen says: Feb 17, 2010 3:09 PM

What happened to the Philadelphia Soul? Did Jaworski and Bon Jovi just disband everything?

12. duanem23 says: Feb 17, 2010 3:14 PM

“Pro” as in “professional”, as in “articipants are paid.” So, what’s not “pro” about the AFL?

13. playinforchubs says: Feb 17, 2010 3:23 PM

@TheBigTuna2
    I suggest you learn the definition of “pro” before you complain about AFL stories.

14. Bucforever says: Feb 17, 2010 3:26 PM

Obviously ,TheBigTuna2, you have not been to any of these games. They are mostly high scoring , exciting and fun to watch{ real close to the field action } and you wont go bankrupt treating the family ! Noe,if the NFL could only get some of that back …….

15. emdub52 says: Feb 17, 2010 3:36 PM

What happened to the SaberCats?
    That team had one of the best owners, some of the best coaches, and a lot of really good players.
    I guess no one thought, hey… let’s ask that San Jose team who won all those championships to come play.

16. Accordngs says: Feb 17, 2010 3:39 PM

I thought there was already the Colorado Crush owned by Elway?
    So why target Denver?

17. cbrianwatkins says: Feb 17, 2010 3:48 PM

Action Dan says:
    February 17, 2010 2:58 PM
    And you can do it several times per season on the cheap as a family.
    ————————————————-
    i’m with you on that!!! as much as i HATE Philly, and their sports teams, and mostly their sports fans, i had an absolute BLAST at the Soul games

18. schism says: Feb 17, 2010 3:54 PM

get over it, the guy who said it wasn’t pro football was t rying to be funny and make light on what in his opinion was a lack of talent in the AFL, who cares.
    I like watching the games, they are fast.

19. TheDPR says: Feb 17, 2010 3:54 PM

I like seeing AFL, UFL, & CFL news here.

20. raidersteve413 says: Feb 17, 2010 3:56 PM

xfl was awsome. I wish more people watched it.
    It would of succeded if espn and sports media would of supported it.They had some decent players and it would of just got better if it lasted longer. I think if the XFL was in the summer and still on. It would get huge rating and payers lke colt mccoy and col brennen would be there. look at some of the backups qbs in the NFL right now. some of them are good they would be stars there

21. WashingtonRedstorms says: Feb 17, 2010 3:58 PM

Here comes the Los Angeles Sombreros Or Panchos.

22. Drew says: Feb 17, 2010 4:14 PM

please no more Greenburg and Golic calling games. The season opener is painful enough

23. ddolphinman13 says: Feb 17, 2010 4:15 PM

For all you Arena Football fans out there keep an eye on Spokane Shock linebacker Kevin McCullough. He is a BEAST! He lead the Spokane D to a Arena 2 championship last year and the Shock are now part of the “Arena Football League”. This kid is ALWAYS around the ball & making plays.
    Kevin McCullough:
    2006: first team ALL-BIG EAST selection while playing for the Cincinnati Bearcats

24. heartstl says: Feb 17, 2010 4:26 PM

Looks like Ed Roski will finally get a team in LA.

25. BernieMac says: Feb 17, 2010 4:40 PM

I think you really need to fire your proof-reader or maybe just hire one!

26. WashingtonRedstorms says: Feb 17, 2010 4:53 PM

xfl was awsome. I wish more people watched it.
    Leave it to Raiderfan to love and praise the XFL.
    The XFL was fake, just like wrestling.
    I know, I am being hard on a precious and innocent Raiderfan.
    Raider fans, never degrade other teams or cause trouble or bully people who don’t wear the patch logo of Randolph Scott.
    Watching your franchise and it’s demise, has brought so much joy to me.
    And the great news is, there will be more. Why? Because Al Davis is the owner.

27. Jungle Juice says: Feb 17, 2010 5:11 PM

Hey AFL. Put a team right between Cincinnati and Dayton – you will make a killing. Of, course you need an arena first.

28. reps456 says: Feb 17, 2010 5:15 PM

“No one has done more for the AFL than Bon Jovi and his group.” While that statement is definitely true, from 2004-2007, once things started going downhill for the league, and it became evident that Spencer & JBJ had separate agendas, all they did became moot. They, along with guys like Elway, Tom Benson, and Ditka did alot to help the league, it’s reputation, and it’s appeal. Once things started going south, the divide became public. And despite what Spencer & JBJ claim, the vote on the ’09 season became public, and they were proven to be self serving liars.
    Arena football did well in Philly. I was a season ticket holder from Day 1. I saw it. It can succeed again, but hopefully with different ownership (though I would accept Spencer), with the foresight to also put Jaws in charge.

29. The Wishbone says: Feb 17, 2010 5:22 PM

You’ve got a serious problem with your website. I was trying to read the most recent post, the one about the Patriots and Peppers, and the website automatically refreshed and now the post is gone.
    Please fix it.

30. ben6969 says: Feb 17, 2010 5:39 PM

I can’t believe they are excluding a New Orleans franchise. The city held the Championship game the final 2 seasons, and probally would’ve held the 3rd as well. The Voo Doo( The New Orleans franchise) was the first AFL team to have a season sell out, and was always supported well. It wasn’t the fault of the fans of teams like the Voo Doo or San Jose that caused the league to fail, it was the bad business decisions, and expansion to places which had no intrest in the game…

31. FumbleNuts says: Feb 17, 2010 8:28 PM

My sources indicate that Portland, Oregon is also being considered for expansion in 2011.

32. edgy1957 says: Feb 18, 2010 12:57 AM

raidersteve413 says: February 17, 2010 3:56 PM
    xfl was awsome. I wish more people watched it.
    ****************************
    The league was a bunch of inferior talent with some of the goofiest rules around (Though, I had a hand in one in-season rule change). The league averaged 16 points per game. They were just out and out the worst league that I’ve ever witnessed and that includes the WFL and USFL. Before the league even played its first game, I told a friend that I thought that their idea to start a game was not only stupid but it was dangerous and that someone was going to get hurt and they’re going to regret it and damned if that didn’t happen on their first national broadcast as one of the guys was hurt and put out of commission for the rest of the season.
    The in-season rule change: the 3 point extra point. My idea was to change the rules and make it 1 point from the 1 yard line, 2 points from the 3 yard line and 3 points from the 5 yard line. Well, they took the 3 point play all the way to the 25 yard line and I was really disappointed BUT imagine my surprise when someone FINALLY went for it (in the playoffs, no less) and San Francisco won the game and advanced to the championship game. The was the first AND only time that the rule was ever used.