Framework in place for Cribbs deal

J. Cribbs.jpgOur NBC Olympics friends have curling.  PFT’s omnipresent but somewhat useless winter sport is providing blow-by-blow updates of Josh Cribbs’ contract talks.

The man may finally be close to getting paid.

NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora reports that a “framework” is in place for a new three-year deal that would replace Cribbs’ current three-year contract.

Guaranteed money is the sticking point. Cribbs wants $10 million guaranteed, the Browns are offering $5 million. Other sticking points like a bonus structure and incentives are “essentially completed.”

Cleveland may add some team options to the end of the deal, which means we should be playing PFT’s favorite winter sport again sometime around 2014.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
9 Responses to “Framework in place for Cribbs deal”
  1. Dixon29 says: Feb 18, 2010 3:11 PM

Good. Cleveland needs this guy, although a high first round pick would be tempting to trade him.
    The fan in me is thrilled though. This guy is my favorite player by far, and he has outplayed his current contract. Glad to see he may finally be getting his coin.

2. GobiasINC_1 says: Feb 18, 2010 3:31 PM

Not bad for a special teams, one-trick-pony. And nobody give me anything about the ‘wild-cat.’ It’ll be year three of that and defensive coordinators have already begun to catch on.

3. JoeBrowns027 says: Feb 18, 2010 3:46 PM

It will replace the remaining 3 years of his current contract, not current 3-year contract. Big difference if you ask me.

4. ampats says: Feb 18, 2010 4:01 PM

As a non Browns fan I would pay the man. Forget special teams, he’s a 5-10 maybe more play a game playmaker. Every time he touches the ball he is a threat to score.
    Comparison: Reggie Bush 8 mill to Cribbs.
    I’d take Cribbs, just my opinion. Pay him and I don’t think 10 mill guaranteed is unreasonable over a multi (4 year contract).
    And I take nothing away from Reggie Bush.

5. ncbrownsfan says: Feb 18, 2010 4:36 PM

Give him 7.5 guaranteed and call it a day (or three years) FINALLY. There are bigger and better things to focus on.

6. tombrookshire says: Feb 18, 2010 5:07 PM

Gee whiz, the negotiation tactics of the Browns are as remarkably heavy-handed as those of the hard ball playing Phila. Eagles. Why, Cribbs will be lucky if he still has his own butt by the time these negotiations are through.

7. Bious says: Feb 18, 2010 8:47 PM

Until they bring in a QB, him signing won’t translate to many more W’s for Cleveland

8. GeniusJoe says: Feb 19, 2010 9:39 AM

He could be the next QB. (shudder)

9. trickbunny says: Feb 19, 2010 12:16 PM

GobiasINC_1 says:
    February 18, 2010 3:31 PM
    ————————————————-
    TRANSLATION: “God, I really wish this guy was on MY team… Now that it looks like he won’t be dealt- possibly to my team, I have a case of sour grapes.”