Mother's lawyer says Cromartie is late on child support

We noted yesterday that Chargers cornerback Antonio Cromartie has seven children spread across five states and was named in at least five paternity suits. In today’s San Diego Union-Tribune, the lawyer for one of the six mothers of Cromartie’s children is quoted as saying that Cromartie is late on child support payments.

“My client would like to see him live up to the commitment he made to his children in the interviews he’s given about being a committed father and make sure he shares the benefits of his lifestyle,” said Steven Bishop, an attorney for one of the mothers.

According to the lawyer, Cromartie is past due on about $25,000 in child support after missing the February 1 payment date for several of his children. The Union-Tribune reports that an attorney for one of the mothers filed a document in San Diego Superior Court preventing him from buying or selling property without having his child support up to date.

Cromartie signed a five-year contract with $7.35 million guaranteed in 2006. He has been the subject of trade rumors this off-season.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Top Stories
34 Responses to “Mother's lawyer says Cromartie is late on child support”
  1. Chapnasty2 says: Feb 18, 2010 8:44 AM

What is it with this millionaire athletes not being able to support thier kids? I mean it is one thing for an average Joe Making 30 grand to miss a support payment once and a while, but these guys are millionaires. Maybe if they invested their money in something other than huge diamonds they would be able to be something other than dead beat dads.

2. FireJerryJones says: Feb 18, 2010 8:51 AM

uhh… I don”t think he understood the ‘donor option’ concept on his driver’s license…

3. Pack_Attack says: Feb 18, 2010 8:53 AM

Airing is stuff is such BS. The guy is 17 days late and this chick gets 25 large a month? WTF? Bite me. Divorce lawyers fall way down on the food chain right Mike?

4. DonTerrelli says: Feb 18, 2010 9:02 AM

stop buying escalades, rims, and diamond earrings and they could pay for their kids

5. NoKoolaidCowboy says: Feb 18, 2010 9:07 AM

Cheapskates. Plain and simple. Missing child support payments for a kid that is yours?
    NEXT!

6. OscarMooseFarmer says: Feb 18, 2010 9:13 AM

I love how commenters here are talking about how these guys need to change their financial priorities so they can pay for their kids….how about they just stop having all these kids in the first place.

7. Hap says: Feb 18, 2010 9:15 AM

All Antonio has to do is piss on a girl’s boots and she get’s a bun in the oven.
    Get a raincoat, dude.

8. Fire Ted says: Feb 18, 2010 9:22 AM

Nobody said she gets “25 large” a month. The story reads “past due….after missing the Feb. 1 payment for several of his children.” The story suggests that missing the Feb 1 payment put him $25 thousand behind, so it’s reasonable to assume that he has missed more than one payment. It’s also reasonable to assume that the amount he is behind is for more than one child and/or mother. Divorce lawyer comment aside, this jerk makes plenty of money — certainly enough to keep his bills up to date and more importantly, take care of his children.

9. JollyRoger says: Feb 18, 2010 9:33 AM

Another NFL class act.

10. Leto_II says: Feb 18, 2010 9:34 AM

Athletes need to learn about vasectomies. This $75 procedure will save them millions of dollars in child support payments. Guys like Cromartie, Calvin Murphy, Travis Henry, Shawn Kemp, etc. should be examples to all young athletes who are about to get rich. Get a vasectomy so you don’t have to worry about some skank knocking on your door looking for money. When these athletes are ready to have kids (hopefully when they’re married) they can have the procedure reversed. Athlete’s care about money more than anything else. They should care about this cost saving procedure. On the subject of the social aspect of illegitimate keedz, that’s another argument.

11. Nevisyakker says: Feb 18, 2010 9:36 AM

At least these women know he won’t hit them.
    He doesn’t hit anybody.
    Spreading his pollen over at least 5 states w/o protection? His jock stock may soon (or already be) so diseased he’ll be on the NHO most wanted list.

12. Xpensive Wino says: Feb 18, 2010 9:45 AM

Perhaps question #51 on the Wonderlic test should ask how many children you have in how many states with how many different women. Might give teams a little insight into someone’s decision making capabilities.
    I think we can all agree that he was simply too tired to make an effort to tackle Shonn Greene in that playoff game. Dude be busy.

13. Kasper Gutman says: Feb 18, 2010 9:45 AM

He also forgot to pay his former agent. Maybe he’s suffering from post-concussion effects from one of his missed tackles.

14. kennethnoisewater says: Feb 18, 2010 9:46 AM

he’s still running away from Shonn Greene….

15. I_Hate_Yams says: Feb 18, 2010 9:46 AM

I guess that includes the little boy he was holding in his lap the day he got drafted in his mother’s living room.

16. Chapnasty2 says: Feb 18, 2010 9:50 AM

@ Leto
    Or they could just use 5 bucks of their multi million dollar a year income to buy a box of condoms and not have to worry about the STD’s and then passing them along to other groupies. I think you can get them in bulk relatively cheap too.

17. Ross'sSweetMinus says: Feb 18, 2010 9:51 AM

Those patments are going to make his ass broke! Should have used his other head better.

18. Karl says: Feb 18, 2010 10:05 AM

Why doesn’t that stupid bitch get a damn job herself? She’s damn lucky she got such a huge payday, now she can sit back all day long eating bon bons and complain where ma check?

19. GtuddaC says: Feb 18, 2010 10:20 AM

Ok…none of you know the situation. He could pay for his child’s private school tuition, buy groceries for the house they live, provide the mothers with transportation, supply the kids with clothes and shoes, etc. But because he didnt cover what the court mandated you judge him. Why is this even a story? Why dont yall go back to talking shit about Mike Vick or something…..once again, cowards. . .

20. calamity says: Feb 18, 2010 10:21 AM

Is he trying to beat Travis Henry’s record?

21. RichieBugs83 says: Feb 18, 2010 10:35 AM

The combo of Intelligence and Income are usually inversely related regarding how frequently people have children. It may be an insensitive statement to make, but data supports it both here in the US and in the World, as poor nations have more rapidly growing populations than wealthy/developed nations. The exception, obviously, is when people that would otherwise be unsuccessful in life are paid millions to play a game based on an uncommon physical skill set. People demonize athletes that do this, but what should we expect of them? I guess what I’m saying is, going out on a limb; Cromartie probably isn’t a very smart guy, so things like this will continue to happen as a result of his ineptitude. It has nothing to do with how much money he has because he is an irresponsible dope, a la Shawn Kemp, Travis Henry, etc. He isn’t a bad guy, just a moron.

22. Beastie Bills says: Feb 18, 2010 11:04 AM

If I ever got drafted I’d miss the first OTA because I’d be recovering from a visectomy.
    Then I can bang broads across state lines CONSIQUENCE FREE…
    Well, other than herpes, but I’d just ask Mike Vick for advice on that.

23. karmathaitch says: Feb 18, 2010 11:06 AM

Spade or nuder your players!! LOL!! Cro, get ur auzz outta San Diego. Ur not wanted sissy.
    Shonn Green is still running!!

24. realitypolice says: Feb 18, 2010 11:08 AM

Pack_Attack says:
    February 18, 2010 8:53 AM
    ===================
    Good God are you stupid. The article states that Cromartie is 25k behind in payments for SEVERAL of his children. Nowhere does it say that one mother gets 25k for for one kid. Just because the figures came from one of the lawyers representing one of the mothers, doesn’t mean she is getting all that money herself. He is making a statement about the overall amount AC is overdue.

25. realitypolice says: Feb 18, 2010 11:11 AM

Karl says:
    February 18, 2010 10:05 AM
    ===================
    Where does it say anything about her getting a huge payday? Are you saying men shouldn’t be responsible for taking care of their children?
    The same douchebags who attack athletes for being so greedy will then turn around and attack anyone who tries to make athletes use that money to take care of the unwanted children they create by acting like irresponsible assholes.

26. realitypolice says: Feb 18, 2010 11:13 AM

Leto_II says:
    February 18, 2010 9:34 AM
    ======================
    Dude, tell me where to get on of them $75 vasectomies. On second thought, don’t. I don’t think I want a doctor near my junk who’s willing to do a procedure for $75. LOL

27. Leto_II says: Feb 18, 2010 11:22 AM

@RichieBugs83
    “He isn’t a bad guy, just a moron’
    You make some good points. The problem is we don’t really know any of these guys so you cannot assume that Cromartie ‘isn’t a bad guy, just a moron’. The Tiger Woods and Michael Vick situations should remind everyone that nobody knows what goes on behind the curtain with athletes, or even regular people for that matter. If we pulled back the curtain on all athletes, probably all of them would need to have a press conference right after Tiger’s tomorrow morning. I’ll base my judgement of Cromartie on what I do know: he’s a millionaire and he’s impregnating everything in sight and he’s not taking any responsibility for it financially. To me, that’s a bad guy. Those are the facts. Now whether he murders dogs in his spare time and has dog fighting rings, who knows. But I wouldn’t be surprised at anything at this point. If news broke that Tim Tebow is into drugs, prostitutes and abortion, I wouldn’t be surprised either. These guys are rarely what they appear to be. Hell, I’m not what I appear to be to my co-workers as opposed to my private life!

28. Pack_Attack says: Feb 18, 2010 11:28 AM

Sorry, I reread that and it appears to me he is behind on one payment and the scumbag attny puts it out in the press –clarification?

29. Leto_II says: Feb 18, 2010 11:33 AM

@realitypolice
    Whatever the cost, it’s much less than millions of dollars in child support. Not to mention, the cost of paying someone to handle the situation and dealing with these women who aren’t his wife. More athletes need to be like Derek Jeter and George Clooney. These two don’t have children and aren’t married yet can nail any girl they want and nobody cares about it. What a perfect life!

30. realitypolice says: Feb 18, 2010 11:40 AM

Leto_II says:
    February 18, 2010 11:33 AM
    @realitypolice
    =====================
    Agree completely. Just bustin on the $75 part. I actually thought it was a great post.

31. bullis says: Feb 18, 2010 11:41 AM

I bet he has gold teeth!

32. Ray Guy says: Feb 18, 2010 11:45 AM

Leto_II says:
    February 18, 2010 9:34 AM
    ======================
    _____________________________________
    Yeah, $75.00 will get you a nice procedure in an alley with a coat hanger. Try $1100 or more. And for the guy who said they are easily reversible…well they are not, at least not easily.
    Isn’t this the same guy (Cromartie) who reads 2 words per minute. Great, breeding more intelligence into the gene pool.

33. Stone says: Feb 18, 2010 11:50 AM

What a disgusting peasant.

34. Bious says: Feb 18, 2010 8:44 PM

I mean, after the 2nd kid…did it ever occur to him to use protection?