Moss on lack of offensive coordinator: "I don't care"

R.Moss.jpgThe crazy-like-a-fox-who-plays-when-he-wants-to-play decision of Patriots receiver Randy Moss to talk on Saturday about 2010 being his last season in New England came as part of a discussion with the media that included some other interesting nuggets.

Per the Boston Herald, he also spoke about the fact that, for the second straight season, the team won’t have an offensive coordinator.

I don’t care who’s the offensive coordinator, who’s calling the plays,” Moss said.

He made the comments as part of a broader point that, regardless of the identity of the person drawing up the Os, he wants to see the offense get back to where it was in 2007, when the Patriots won every regular-season game, stormed to the Super Bowl, and shockingly lost.

The deeper message, in our view, is that Moss wants to be part of a dynamic offense once again.  If the Patriots struggle this year, Moss could shut it down, just like he did in Oakland.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
34 Responses to “Moss on lack of offensive coordinator: "I don't care"”
  1. Matt Walsh says: Feb 21, 2010 6:26 PM

Looks like Belicheat has lost all control. First Adalius and now Moss firing shots across the bow.
    crumble, crumble, crumble.

2. tjacks7 says: Feb 21, 2010 6:26 PM

Come back to Minny!!!

3. Tigersbark2 says: Feb 21, 2010 6:33 PM

Duh

4. hizzle1281 says: Feb 21, 2010 6:40 PM

Everyone wants to be a body builder, but no one wants to workout
    in Moss’s case, he wants to win a SB, but he doesnt want to try

5. habibfromnewdehli says: Feb 21, 2010 6:51 PM

The bad news is that he has to play the Jets twice, and Rex Ryan will have that defense built up even more than it was this year.
    But the other 14 games, the Patriots offense should be just fine… of course, anyone’s predictions assume that everyone stays healthy.

6. DieHardSkinsFan21 says: Feb 21, 2010 6:55 PM

Wow that is some speculation that really doesn’t have a whole lot to back it up. While I hate the Pats, and think BB is a cheating slime ball I totally disagree with this evaluation. Moss has been nothing but a 1st class citizen in NE, and it is impossible to compare his situation in NE to Oaktown. Florio has another slow news day and tries to stoke a fire that isn’t even lit. I wonder what you r daughters are like if you are such a gossiping little bitch?

7. Catamount says: Feb 21, 2010 6:55 PM

Moss on anything or anybody other than himself: I don t care.

8. snnyjcbs says: Feb 21, 2010 7:00 PM

Do you ever remember a period of time in the NFL that it had more garbage teams with regards to the play?
    I do not care about todays stats, “most prolific offense” and yada, yada, yada. 99% of the teams of today could not step foot on the field with the teams of yesterday.
    As for Randy Moss and New England. As long as old Randy is leading the band and things are easy he is fine. Let the work start and things not going so well and who he REALLY IS comes out LOAD AND CLEAR.
    New England is just another average team playing in a below average Div. They are about to find out that it was, the players all along not the scheme that made them who they use to be and they do not have the players and the ones they do are getting old.

9. INVAIDUH says: Feb 21, 2010 7:01 PM

you get better and faster after 30…right?
    GFY randy…dun son.

10. Zatko says: Feb 21, 2010 7:18 PM

Dynamic offense??? Welcome back to Minnesota, 84.
    - Z

11. shaggytoodle says: Feb 21, 2010 7:26 PM

Isnt that ALWAYS his answer unless the question is about HIM directly. As in “How you gonna pay that fine,”

12. Ned Tudley says: Feb 21, 2010 7:40 PM

you cant hold it against Moss for shutting it down in Oak.
    He’s been in the league 12 yrs, and 33 years old and still puts up over 1000 yds every year…say what you want about the man, but he’s a pure beast

13. JoeSixPack says: Feb 21, 2010 7:47 PM

No offense to the man making the comments – but this is Randy Moss we’re talking about here folks…
    … do we really need to be “reading between the lines” of anything he says?
    He says he wants to be part of a offensive power this season and doesn’t care who the OC is.
    That’s a fine answer as far as I’m concerned. Ultimately Moss is right – regardless of the OC and the plays called, Moss has the speed and height where he should be able to be open to make tons of amazing plays… not to mention a QB with the talent to get the ball to him.
    If Moss isn’t a major player in a major offensive power this season chances are he won’t need to look further than the mirror to find out why.

14. TheWizard says: Feb 21, 2010 7:49 PM

Shut it down in his contract year?

15. TheWizard says: Feb 21, 2010 7:51 PM

the players all along not the scheme
    Brady, Tom.
    That’s the one that matters, son.

16. dolfanSS says: Feb 21, 2010 7:59 PM

17. dakota343 says: Feb 21, 2010 7:59 PM

“The deeper message, in our view, is that Moss wants to be part of a dynamic offense once again. If the Patriots struggle this year, Moss could shut it down, just like he did in Oakland.”
    Where do you come up with this crap? Moss says ” I don’t see the team renewing my contract but I respect the Patriots and appreciate what they did for me” and that equals “Moss is shooting his way out of town and he wants to end up in Minnesota”. You have Sh@t on him since he landed in NE and won’t be happy until one of your failed predictions comes true.

18. Treima says: Feb 21, 2010 8:25 PM

All he said was that he doesn’t care who’s calling the plays. That said, it looks like the only play in Florio’s playbook is “raise groundless speculation”.

19. FireJerryJones says: Feb 21, 2010 8:29 PM

Florio still acting like a lawyer.
    Moss has had three pretty good years in New England. 1493 yds and 23 TD, 1008 yds, 11TD and 1296 yards, 13TD. One year with Matt Cassel.
    Critics say he looks like he takes plays off. It’s all on tape. Find the tape and roll it.
    He says he played all year with a separated shoulder. Where’s the proof? Can’t see where Florio’s done any work here. Just piling on.
    How does it help his case to quit in his contract year? If this was anyone else, you’d have to assume he’d perform in his last year… not tank it.
    Explanation please.

20. this class sucks says: Feb 21, 2010 8:34 PM

@diehardskinsfan
    I have heard this argument before, that Moss has been a perfect citizen in NE and thus will continue to do so because it is NE that is making Moss a perfect citizen. Here is my counter point, Moss has been well behaved because of the team’s stellar success up until the last year. One could point out that the year before last they didn’t make the playoffs and Moss kept his good behavior streak alive. This is true but I think the fact that NE had a solid regular season, and they didn’t know they were out of the playoffs until the last day, and of course, that Brady was out, ensured Moss really didn’t have much to complain about. If the Pats clearly struggle this year I think it is a fair assumption that Moss’ behavior will back track to his days in Oakland when he played for a poor team. It will be interesting to see how BB handles all this going on with his team. As we learned from his time with the Browns, he is not well suited to deal with bad teams. But only time will tell, for all we know now, the Pats could have a great year and resign Moss for another 3 years, so this is all mere speculation.

21. VikeMe28 says: Feb 21, 2010 8:34 PM

Hmmmm…considering Moss made the comment on media day at the ’07 Super Bowl that his dream was to finish his career in Minnesota, where it started, I’m wondering if that’s been his plan all along: Clean up his image and hope that the Vikes will take him back in the latter days of his career. As a Vikes fan all my life, I would gladly take him back. If it weren’t for Red McCombs’ selfish selling of Randy to the Raiders, I think he would still be a Viking player. Red was just trying to salvage some of the money he lost during his mismanagement when he owned the Vikings (Love Boat scandal). Just imagine having Randy Moss, Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin and Bernard Berrian in the same receiving corp. Could be the best of all time…of course, this being dependent on who will be throwing them the ball. All Day could easily break the all time record for rushing yards in one season too.

22. 8man says: Feb 21, 2010 9:26 PM

Matt Walsh says:
    February 21, 2010 6:26 PM
    crumble, crumble, crumble.

You wish. Talk to me when they don’t make the playoffs with Brady at the helm. They are rebuilding and still went 10-6.
    dolfanSS says:
    February 21, 2010 7:59 PM

Cogent point. The same thought occurred to me yesterday as I was perusing my Givens/Branch signed 8×10 from SB 39.

23. ahajha says: Feb 21, 2010 9:35 PM

Like I said before, Brady is done! Cheatriots are done! Stick a fork in em.

24. DieHardSkinsFan21 says: Feb 21, 2010 9:36 PM

@ thisclasssucks
    Once again you are speaking about what ifs, and could happens. Once he starts acting up like TO in your beloved dallass then you have no foot to stand on.
    I guess we could live our lives on what ifs and maybe’s, however I like to live my life based on facts and things that HAVE transpired.
    Why trash a guy for something that could happen?
    I think you should proofread thoughts before you hit submit, or maybe have someone proofread your thoughts before submitting garbage like the crap you spewed above.

25. favre uses allens mullet as handlebars says: Feb 21, 2010 9:44 PM

If he actually does land in Minn this yr im gonna puke. I already think the leagues gonna hand’em it next yr like they did N.O. this yr. They need a stadium, they pretty much got dicked in OT in the championship game, and how sweet would that be for the league to have a big Brent frave media week at the SB. 7 solid days of Viking mania with Allen running around media day wearing a thong and Frave chasing him around slapn his ass. What a storyline. Drama for league theyd love it! Meaning its rigged.
    Moss is a jerk, ya put him in the same huddle as Mckinnie. Between his driving and the boat thing along with Chilli’s drunken sons driving how the hell you gonna get around in Minny?

26. Flying elvis says: Feb 21, 2010 9:48 PM

“I do not care about todays stats, “most prolific offense” and yada, yada, yada. 99% of the teams of today could not step foot on the field with the teams of yesterday”———–
    I don’t know what yesterday you are talking about, but if you look at physical atributes athletes have gotten better over the years. Old time players could never keep up today.
    “New England is just another average team playing in a below average Div”——–
    Two teams in the playoffs one of which went to the conf. chanpionship game. Clues for sale. You may want to buy a few.

27. denver_high says: Feb 21, 2010 10:07 PM

Just an opinion but Moss was at his best when Brady was most involved. Brady had a life change, ie baby, that I think moved him away from being more directly connected to Moss. I think this year will be a vast improvement over last as will Moss. Hey if Florio can keep out hope for Culpepper all this time I can give the Pats another year.

28. WhoDat_champs says: Feb 21, 2010 10:09 PM

Rancer Moss

29. IWanttoPunchFloriointheFace says: Feb 22, 2010 12:18 AM

There are just some players I hope never get a ring, and this POS is definitely at the top of that list.

30. shaggytoodle says: Feb 22, 2010 1:26 AM

Minn went south quick, Oak I was barely ever thier, I almost gave hoot when I had a chance to be one of the Undefeated teams in NFL history, it didn’t work out. Then Tom Brady got hurt, I tried to grind it out “kinda” but I’m Randy Moss I don’t care about anyone else but me.

31. zappa says: Feb 22, 2010 7:08 AM

Minnesota Vikings #1

32. barman says: Feb 22, 2010 8:04 AM

THE FANS LIKE THE RINGS,BUT THE PLAYERS ONLY CARE ABOUT THE MONEY.

33. Drat says: Feb 22, 2010 10:26 AM

Send him to Chicago. Martz-Moss. Can you wrap your head around that?

34. tj.52 says: Feb 22, 2010 10:57 AM

dolfanSS says: I live in NE and all I hear is Brady, Moss and Welker….Brady Moss and Welker…..In the grand scheme of things Brady, Moss and Welker haven’t even been as successfull as Brady, Brown and Patten or maybe Brady, Branch, and Givens when it comes to hardware which is the most important thing.
    ——————————————————–
    I hate to agree with a “dolfan”, but you are absolutely correct. You can even throw Fred Coleman and Charles Johnson into that analogy as well.
    The Patriots success was always team-based. Time to get rid of the paper-tiger superstars and bring in some hard working character types.