Own your own Super Bowl XLIV ball (loser's version)

SBXLIVball.jpgOur pal Todd Wright of Sporting News Radio points out that there’s an easy, but not cheap, way to own a piece of Super Bowl XLIV.

Game-used balls can be purchased for the paltry sum of $1,000.

The catch, of course, is that the balls come from the Colts’ allotment, with the word “Colts” printed on them.  Given that the Colts ultimately lost the game, the offering isn’t as attractive as it could have been.

Even though the balls don’t bear the name of the team that won the game, the $1,000 price tag isn’t all that bad, given that Super Bowl XLIV balls that weren’t used in the game were going for $165 in the lobby of our hotel.

Moreover, chunks of dirt from the field were being sold for $50.

It makes me wonder how much the handful of confetti that Mrs. PFT took from the field would generate on eBay.  One of the pieces looks a lot like Conan O’Brien.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
14 Responses to “Own your own Super Bowl XLIV ball (loser's version)”
  1. The Wishbone says: Feb 22, 2010 8:23 PM

“Then again, maybe the ball you’ll get is the “Colts” ball that “Colts” quarterback Peyton Manning threw to “Colts” receiver Reggie Wayne, only to have “Saints” cornerback Tracy Porter catch it and take it to the end zone for the decisive touchdown.”
    Tracy Porter claims to have that ball. Are you saying they’re taking it back from him?

2. philwauke says: Feb 22, 2010 8:29 PM

Where can you buy a vikings superbowl ball? Oh wait. Nevermind.

3. ICEWALKER says: Feb 22, 2010 8:29 PM

Send them to Haiti.

4. Rex Grossman says: Feb 22, 2010 8:32 PM

More like Colts “quarterback” Peyton Manning.

5. Big BrEasy says: Feb 22, 2010 8:36 PM

HERE you go Majik Bullet/Pervy Harvin. You can now own your own Super Bowl “Hardware.” LMAO!! —>tards

6. HarrisonHits says: Feb 22, 2010 8:41 PM

Something tells me Porter kept that one Mike. I can’t imagine that he gave that one back to the Colts LOLZ
    And I thought it was chunks of dead grass not dirt they were selling.
    “One of the pieces looks a lot like Conan O’Brien”
    If it looked like Jesus you’d be in business.

7. Real Vikings fans wouldn't cheer for Favre says: Feb 22, 2010 8:47 PM

“Where can you buy a vikings superbowl ball? Oh wait. Nevermind.”
    lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo favre choked

8. Indy Pride says: Feb 22, 2010 8:49 PM

9. CanadianVikingFan says: Feb 22, 2010 9:18 PM

Real Vikings fans wouldn’t cheer for Favre says:
    February 22, 2010 8:47 PM
    “Where can you buy a vikings superbowl ball? Oh wait. Nevermind.”
    lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo favre choked
    _________________________________
    A little late to the party aren’t we?

10. 12+81=7 says: Feb 22, 2010 9:41 PM

Own your own Super Bowl XLIV ball (loser’s version)
    Posted by Mike Florio on February 22, 2010 8:13 PM ET
    Game-used balls can be purchased for the paltry sum of $1,000.
    The catch, of course, is that the balls come from the Colts’ allotment, with the word “Colts” printed on them. Given that the Colts ultimately lost the game, the offering isn’t as attractive as it could have been.
    Moreover, chunks of dirt from the field were being sold for $50.
    It makes me wonder how much the handful of confetti that Mrs. PFT took from the field would generate on eBay. One of the pieces looks a lot like Conan O’Brien.
    Permalink 9 Comments Latest stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Latest News and Rumors, NFL Mobile Exclusives – Rumors, New Orleans Saints, Top Stories
    Previous: L.T. could be attractive to one or more of the final eight teams
    Next: Rams G.M. says he has had no talks with the Bucs
    9 Responses to “Own your own Super Bowl XLIV ball (loser’s version)”
    1. The Wishbone says: February 22, 2010 8:23 PM
    2. philwauke says: February 22, 2010 8:29 PM
    Where can you buy a vikings superbowl ball? Oh wait. Nevermind.
    3. ICEWALKER says: February 22, 2010 8:29 PM
    Send them to Haiti.
    4. Rex Grossman says: February 22, 2010 8:32 PM
    More like Colts “quarterback” Peyton Manning.
    5. Big BrEasy says: February 22, 2010 8:36 PM
    6. HarrisonHits says: February 22, 2010 8:41 PM
    And I thought it was chunks of dead grass not dirt they were selling.
    “One of the pieces looks a lot like Conan O’Brien”
    If it looked like Jesus you’d be in business.
    7. Real Vikings fans wouldn’t cheer for Favre says: February 22, 2010 8:47 PM
    “Where can you buy a vikings superbowl ball? Oh wait. Nevermind.”
    lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo favre choked
    8. Indy Pride says: February 22, 2010 8:49 PM
    Try being a Pats fan after 18-1. It sucked and it still does. Nothing will ever top that as most disappointing loss ever. Especially because of that lucky goddamn helmet catch. I’m getting annoyed even thinking about it again!

11. 12+81=7 says: Feb 22, 2010 10:57 PM

Indy Pride says: February 22, 2010 8:49 PM
    “Typically, Florio, I check out your site multiple times a day….every posting. Read them all. Since the loss of the Colts in the SuperBowl I haven’t been able to read anything other than headlines. I check out the headlines on this site, without clicking on the RumorMill, but haven’t yet ventured back to SI or Fox or other sites I typically check out. Can’t even watch the Olympics (which I typically love to watch selected summer and winter sports both) because I haven’t been able to handle seeing a competitor win after seeing my Colts lose. I’ve been in a serious sports funk. Today I hoped to overcome that funk and this morning read your site for current sports stories and even caught up to last Friday. Checked back again this evening…..and wish I’d given it one more day…..*sigh*…..”

12. Davie Ricky says: Feb 22, 2010 11:22 PM

“It makes me wonder how much the handful of confetti that Mrs. PFT took from the field would generate on eBay.”
    If you’re really that interested just tell Rosenthal to put it on Ebay. I’m sure if you ask politely he will do it.

13. Ilovefoolsball says: Feb 23, 2010 3:17 AM

This actually is a pretty good buy since this will probably be the last year that Manning takes the Colts to a Superbowl in his career.

14. spyboots says: Feb 23, 2010 4:57 PM

“Try being a Pats fan after 18-1. It sucked and it still does.’
    Try being a fan of the teams the Pats cheated against those 7 years, especially in playoffs and Super Bowls.
    THAT will always suck.