Westbrook has permission to talk to other teams in advance of release

With the Eagles announcing their intention to release running back Brian Westbrook but not doing it officially until March 5, the first day of the 2010 league year, a league source tells us that Westbrook currently is “free to talk to anyone he wants.”

So he’s essentially a free agent now, even though he won’t actually become a free agent until March 5.

Meanwhile, we’re told that the Eagles had planned not to even announce the move until March 5, but that the team decided to disclose their intentions once they learned that someone in the media was poised to break the story.  (Maybe it was the OCNN.)  Instead of denying the story and then announcing the move later, the Eagles opted to release the information now, on their own terms.

Some had speculated that the Eagles were unable to cut Westbrook until March 5 because the bonus acceleration would have put them over the 2009 salary cap.  It’s our understanding that this is not the case.

Of course, it still remains odd that the Eagles wouldn’t simply cut him now.  We can think of no benefit that the team would derive by waiting.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Westbrook has permission to talk to other teams in advance of release”
  1. Treezs says: Feb 23, 2010 5:39 PM

10x better than LT.

2. Cleg says: Feb 23, 2010 5:45 PM

@Treezs – you are funny. Westbrook, while he burned my Skins all too often was/is completely overrated – especially in Philly where the debate will now start as to whether he is a (LOL) Hall of Famer.

3. Lost says: Feb 23, 2010 5:45 PM

Is Westbrook a grass-field, outdoor runner?

4. richraybirdman says: Feb 23, 2010 5:48 PM

Heck no both LT and Wbrook both class act RB in the NFL. Couldnt think of another pair of running backs with such class. to bad the days are numbered

5. redskinchip says: Feb 23, 2010 5:51 PM

Like to see Westbrook back at home in DC dressed in burgundy and gold. He grew up a Skins fan

6. Ben Bernanke says: Feb 23, 2010 5:51 PM

You think it was Eskin?

7. robesi says: Feb 23, 2010 5:52 PM

LT – First ballot Hall of Famer
    Westbrook – Good back…only going to Canton as a tourist.

8. jreed says: Feb 23, 2010 5:53 PM

Brian treated the Eagles well, He was always level headed and kept his mouth shut. He is a team player and the Eagles did the classy thing by letting him look for prospects. Wish he would retire an Eagle but this is the best thing to do for Brian and we (The Fans) owe him this much! I wish him Luck!

9. all about philly says: Feb 23, 2010 6:18 PM

THANKS FOR ALL THESE YEARS B-WEST! YOU WILL BE MISSED MAYBE DARREN SPROLES WILL BE IN PHILLY SOON

10. gurnblanston says: Feb 23, 2010 6:19 PM

Westbrook is a class act and I hope he catches on somewhere as long as it is not with the Giants or Cowgirls. Not since Wilbert Montgomery has a Philly back tortured the Redskins so regularly. I have seen enough 64-yd screen passes!

11. BleedGreen says: Feb 23, 2010 6:29 PM

Even if he ends up in DC, I will still root for him.

12. dankula says: Feb 23, 2010 6:35 PM

Cleg says:
    “Westbrook, while he burned my Skins all too often was/is completely overrated ”
    Contradiction anyone? You sir are and idiot.

13. Dre says: Feb 23, 2010 6:39 PM

Hes already been released.

14. SF Saints Fan says: Feb 23, 2010 6:45 PM

The Eagles probably didn’t cut him yet because they are probably holding out hope that there will be a bidding war for Westbrook’s services next year and that they will be able to trade him to the “winner” for a late round draft choice. I would suggest the Eagle’s front office to not pay anybody overtime waiting on that call.

15. SdBoltz says: Feb 23, 2010 6:49 PM

Westbrook in the HOF???
    BWUUAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHA
    Cmon… please don’t dilute how hard it is to be enshrined. By most of your standards the HOF would welcome almost anyone.

16. Xpensive Wino says: Feb 23, 2010 6:56 PM

The Eagles just did right by him by releasing him so he can get a jump on talking with other teams………like San Diego did with Tomlinson.
    I wouldn’t be one of them, but there will be a lot of teams tripping all over themselves to get at these two guys.

17. TampaJoey says: Feb 23, 2010 6:58 PM

Brian Westbrook is a class act and I always enjoyed watching him play (and having him on my fantasy football team in the past racking up the points, minus this season). I hope he has a little left in the tank and catches on somewhere.

18. VoxVagina says: Feb 23, 2010 7:08 PM

@SF Saints fan

19. Opie says: Feb 23, 2010 7:39 PM

To the folks posting above me: I think it was meant that he will be in the Eagles’ team hall of fame or circle of salaciousness or whatever the Eagles’ call it.
    Guy was one helluva a running back and to think he was drafted in the 3rd round and not at all the “prototypical” sized running back. He could flat out ball!
    As to why they announce it: just to drive folks like Florio crazy trying to come up with an angle to exploit!
    And THAT is funny! Fly Eagles Fly!!!

20. Bigbluefan says: Feb 23, 2010 7:44 PM

While I hate the Filthy egals I do have to respect what Westbrook did happy we do not have to face him again,
    I hope he goes some place warm and out of the NFC.

21. kuma says: Feb 23, 2010 7:48 PM

I do not understand the contracts the teams have with the players. Was this the end of the 5 year contract or whatever with Westbrook and LT? Seems lop sided on the owners side to me. They will not let a player renegotiate a contract before the end of the contract but can release or cut a player with disregard for the contract if the deferred signing bonus or salary has to be paid. So the contract is only binding for the owner, the player can be released or cut at any time regardless of the contract. Yet the coaches contracts are carved in stone and they get paid regardless of whether fired or not as in baseball, basketball etc and etc.
    Who negotiated those onesided worthless contracts? Might as well be a verbal contract since it is up to ownership whether to honor the contract or not but the player has to live up to his part if desired. Whats the difference if they put a 5 year contract in writing or just verbally agree to a 5 year contract, at least the player would be more protected verbally.

22. Rico says: Feb 23, 2010 8:04 PM

I am not sure about this, so please dont slaughter me if I am wrong, but if he is realeased now then the “final 8″ teams can get him, and if the Eagles wait then the are restricted in who they can pick up. Am I right? I thought that is one story that came out when LT was let go early.

23. Mooch says: Feb 23, 2010 8:09 PM

Kuma – the last year never counts, and every player who signs a backloaded contract should know that.
    It protects the player because, if they outperform their deal, the last season becomes a basis for which to extend the deal. A team will not want to let them go, but could never justify to pay such a baloon payment in a single year (in a capped NFL anyway).
    It helps the team because it allows the team to rip up the deal and spread the final-year money over more years (to help the cap) plus an extra amount to bring it all up to market value.
    Of course, this only happens to the Brady’s and Manning’s of the world. Most get cut, like these guys.
    Also works as a great marketing ploy for agencts, who can crow about huge $’s that the clients seldom if ever see. Some dishonesty if they do not let the player in on the shell game at the time of signing (TO’s agenct kept him in the dark about this when the Eagles gave him that deal).
    That is the concept anyway as I understand it, I am sure someone else has more specifics.

24. EaglesFreak89 says: Feb 23, 2010 8:23 PM

Westbrook is overrated? What? He was one of the most underrated running backs to play the game.

25. scrapdawg12 says: Feb 23, 2010 8:48 PM

He’s now driving down Route 36 looking for the town of retirement

26. SF Saints Fan says: Feb 23, 2010 9:09 PM

VoxVagina:
    “@SF Saints fan
    Your theory doesn’t even make sense. If that was the case they would never have revealed that they will release him. The Eagles have smart front office from a business standpoint. They know nobody wants to pick up WB’s huge salary and they’re letting him choose his future. Trading him would be a slap in the face and they know it.”
    Dude, I know it doesn’t make any sense, it involves the Eagles front office and their evaluation of Westbrook. That is why I said they should not be waiting by the phone. They also believe somebody will trade for Vick. Do you think they are delusional? Because I do.

27. TheWontonMan says: Feb 23, 2010 9:28 PM

I am a diehard eagles fan and I don’t think he is hof material. 2 1,000 yard rushing seasons in his career? A class act, yes! Hof, don’t think so

28. Atlanta Love says: Feb 23, 2010 10:08 PM

When has Westbrook been healthy enough to complete a full season?

29. Sean says: Feb 23, 2010 10:47 PM

Can I get the ‘Brian Westbrook to Seattle’ campaign going? I’d rather get 8-10 healthy games from him for the right price (with Justin Forsett giving him a break) than 16 games of Julius Jones (ugh). Plus, he might be a good mentor for the RB they (hopefully) draft in April.

30. CT.GIANTMAN says: Feb 23, 2010 10:54 PM

AS A FOOTBALL FAN FIRST, BRIAN WESTBROOK IS A CLASS ACT, FIRST AS A PERSON, FATHER AND TEAM-MATE!
    I PERSONALLY HOPE HE CALLS IT A CAREER
    DUE TO HIS INJURIES.
    AS A GIANT FAN, HE WAS THE GUY TO STOP
    AND MOST OFTEN, WE DIDN’T! HE WAS INDEED AN OVERACHIEVING RB, WR, BLOCKER & EVEN A RETURN MAN.
    THANKS BRIAN YOU WERE THE MAN!
    BTW-EVER HEAR BRIAN MOAN & GROAN,
    NAH, THE CHARGERS HAD THAT GUY!
    ONLY ONE LT-WHO GOT BLUE BLOOD AS
    WESTBROOK HAS GREEN! GOOD LUCK LOL.

31. Renegade88 says: Feb 24, 2010 7:24 AM

Diehard Eagles fan here too. I don’t know any Eagles fans who believe that Westbrook is headed to Canton. He was a fantastic back for the Eagles and single-handedly saved the Eagles season in 2003 with a PR TD against the Giants. He is also a class act and team-first guy. He is an above-average runner who is one of the best receiving backs in the league and an underrated blocker. He’s a very smart player who took on lots of additional responsibilities in a very complex offense. He’ll be an asset to a team that can use him as a situational player, like the Vikings.

32. all about philly says: Feb 24, 2010 5:07 PM