Mosi Tatupu dies at 54

100-MosiTatupu.jpgFormer NFL player Mosi Tatupu, the father of Seahawks linebacker Lofa Tatupu, has died.

Mosi Tatupu was only 54.

Per the Honolulu Star Bulletin, the cause of death is currently not known.  Tatupu reportedly had been suffering from high blood pressure and other health issues.

A native of Hawaii, Mosi Tatupu’s 3,367 career rushing yards stood as a high-school record in the island state for 17 years.  Tatupu played for the Patriots from 1978 through 1990, and he retired in 1991 after spending five games with the Rams.

Primarily a special-teams player at the NFL level, Tatupu rushed for 2,415 yards and 18 touchdowns.  In 1983, he reached a career high of 578 yards.

Tatupu coached football after his retirement.  At the time of his passing, he was the running backs coach at Curry College in Milton, Massachusetts.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Tatupu’s family, friends, colleagues, and former teammates.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Mosi Tatupu dies at 54”
  1. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Feb 24, 2010 7:08 AM

Wow, what a shame, and so young too.
    He was a very popular player, and tough as nails.
    If you really needed a yard, Mosi got it for you.

2. Hacksaw says: Feb 24, 2010 7:30 AM

A very sad day for Mosi’s Mooses here in New England.

3. oldschool says: Feb 24, 2010 7:35 AM

One of my favorite players….in the ” snow plow” game he was the only back that seemed to be able to run…….punishing blocker….remember the ” mosi mooses” sign in the end zone?

4. tip56 says: Feb 24, 2010 7:38 AM

RIP Mosi. He didn’t get the ball much, but when he did he was very productive

5. ampats says: Feb 24, 2010 8:01 AM

Deepest sympathy to Lofa and his family.
    Mosi Mooses, he was a player always to be remembered in Patriot history.

6. munchkin says: Feb 24, 2010 8:01 AM

He was a legend during his time in NE. The fans loved the guy and he gave it all whenever he was on the field. He was part of the team that gave NE hope and brought fans back to that horrible stadium in Foxboro.
    R.I.P.

7. BenRapistberger says: Feb 24, 2010 8:20 AM

He was my head coach back in high school, I graduated with Lofa. Can’t say enough good things about both of them, so sad…

8. BenRapistberger says: Feb 24, 2010 8:21 AM

First Patriot ever to go to the ProBowl for special teams, also.

9. Pauli The Hook says: Feb 24, 2010 8:32 AM

RIP Mosi… I could care less for the patsies but for 2 years in college I had seasons tickets in the Mosi Moose Section Endzone …. It was a Blast everytime he handled the ball… M_O_S_I….
    He will be Missed…..

10. The Real Shuxion says: Feb 24, 2010 8:34 AM

He was not only a player I liked as a very young kid (5 years old) but became my HS football coach. He was a very nice guy who taught me a lot.
    I do plan to fly to wherever the funeral will be held (It sure won’t be here in the St. Louis area) and attend.

11. pfii63 says: Feb 24, 2010 8:41 AM

RIP Mosi… a sad day for Patriots’ fans.
    All my best to Lofa and the family.

12. PFTiswhatitis says: Feb 24, 2010 8:41 AM

Mosi was a favorite Patriot for a long time. He always gave his best effort.
    RIP Mosi. Condolences to the Tatupu family.

13. rburkholder2003 says: Feb 24, 2010 8:48 AM

One of my fav’s groing up. Not even a Pat’s fan, just loved his toughness & his name. R.I.P. Mosi. All my best to the family.

14. Hawk n Fenix says: Feb 24, 2010 9:03 AM

Hey Ben,
    I’ll say this, the Tatupu’s certainly have more class than you based on your profile name. I would think they are not as proud to be associated with you as you are to be with them.
    As for the loss, thoughts are with all that are grieving.

15. ampats says: Feb 24, 2010 9:04 AM

It is interesting to see the comments from long time Pats fans who remember Mosi ‘s Mooses.
    I guess despite what alot of the negative comments on this site about Pats fans being bandwagoneers, there are some of us that have been fans for over 25 years !
    Were at Foxboro/Shaeffer Stadum sitting on the metal benches with 20-25,000 other fans back in the day.(sometimes less)
    Squish the fish!
    Bury the Bears!

16. bigbirdsfan says: Feb 24, 2010 9:42 AM

Who cares? The guy hardly even played, someone is going to reach his career yards in one SEASON. What a waste of an article

17. Richm2256 says: Feb 24, 2010 9:45 AM

Wow… I am stunned to read this.
    For so many years of horrible football teams, Mosi was a shining ray of light for fans through the bleak days. The man brought it all to the field, and left every bit of himself on that field. He played hard every play (got that, Randy?) and knew nothing less than 100%. Even with some very crappy football teams, Mosi gave Patriots fans something exciting to hang on to.
    For all you jackoffs who spout off about Patriots fans being bandwagon fans who came in after the good times started, Mosi Tatupu is the litmus test. Mention his name to any Patriots fan; if a smile immediately comes to their face, they’re no “Johnny come lately” wagon jumpers. If they don’t know the name or think “he’s that dude in Seattle’s father, isn’t he?” then they are pretenders.
    Man, 54 just isn’t enough for a guy who gave so much of himself. Sad day here in New England.

18. Patsfan1776 says: Feb 24, 2010 9:47 AM

Always admired him for playing with heart and his toughness! For you young guys, think Wes Welker.
    Back in the early 90′s he played golf at the “Hill” on Sunday mornings at dawn. Hit into his group one morning and he wasn’t too happy about it but accepted my apology.

19. Asswipe Johnson (Pronounced Az-Wee-Pay) says: Feb 24, 2010 9:56 AM

RIP to a true football warrior…

20. Mean D says: Feb 24, 2010 9:57 AM

You were a great man. R.I.P.

21. Mike says: Feb 24, 2010 10:03 AM

This makes me think of a very old Simpsons episode where there is a guy dressed as a native, think he was on a tv show, and all he would say over and over again was “Mosi Tatupu”. I always assumed that the writers were big fans, as all who followed him were. RIP…

22. ampats says: Feb 24, 2010 10:31 AM

bigbirdsfan you are truly CLUELESS!!
    Please do knowledgible football fans a favor and do not post anymore because you limited knowledge of the game shows.

23. raiderrob21 says: Feb 24, 2010 10:33 AM

RIP Mosi
    from all of The Raider Nation!

24. Hosstyle In Tampa says: Feb 24, 2010 10:38 AM

R.I.P. Mosi

25. BigFella87 says: Feb 24, 2010 10:49 AM

Unfortunately, a little too young to remember this fella, but from what my old man told me, dude sounded like a right badass (heard he was the “guaranteed short yardage man of his time) …..It’s said to hear of a man passing at 54.
    R.I.P Mosi

26. janice says: Feb 24, 2010 10:53 AM

Very sad day for diehard Pats fans…..
    I am a 55 single Mom and have a 23 year old son. I’ve been a Pats fans for 30+ years. My son was raised a Pats loyalist. We were fans when it wasn’t COOL to be a Pats fan when our record was 1-15. My son got teased in school for being a Pats loyalist. I live 10 minutes from Bryant University (was College back than) and we were there almost every morning watching practice,have a picnic lunch and watch afternoon practice. Back in the Drew Bledsoe days. Back than there was just a SINGLE ROPE baracade between you and the players.The players would WALK from the practice field back to the workout room inside. So between the field and the school you walked along side the guys. We have TONS of autographs ,we also have Drew Bledsoes dads autograph ,he was a a few practices.We now go to Gillette to watch practice but is not the same as years ago.
    When we lost the superbowl my son took the next day out of school,we were devistated (BTW my son’s birthday is 2/3/87). BUT when we WON the SB on his 14th birthday again he took the next day out of school to celebrate and took the day out of school to watch the parade.But now we’ve got these bandwagon YAHOOS that would throw anyone of our players under the first bus going by for having 1 bad game.
    Mosi was a classy player and took the time to talk to his fans. The walk from the field to the school was awesome….the players would stop and sign almost every kids ball,or hat,shirt whatever. Ted Johnson was the best I ever seen. He would refuse rides (in the golf cart) back to the school and sign EVERY ONE of the kids stuff. He would stand there (as awesome in statue as he was) and tell all the kids “you don’t have to yell or push things in my face,I am here and will sign ALL your stuff” And he did.
    Love these guys.
    RIP Mosi you will be missed

27. Bell63 says: Feb 24, 2010 11:10 AM

RIP – One of the cool players to watch when the Pats weren’t all that cool to watch in general.

28. MistrezzRachael says: Feb 24, 2010 11:40 AM

SAD…MOSI…was a football player.

29. xscottx says: Feb 24, 2010 12:20 PM

RIP
    my favorite all time Patriot from the red uniform days.
    Thoughts go out to the Tatupu family.

30. hayward giablommi says: Feb 24, 2010 12:39 PM

The man, the myth, the mullet
    R.I.P. my all time favorite Patriot

31. Matt s says: Feb 24, 2010 12:49 PM

reregistered (had an account on the old PFT) here just to say R.I.P. sad day, I remember watching him with my dad on Sundays. You could find us on the couch every Sunday watching the Pats. I’m 28 and haven’t missed a game since I was born. See you in another life Mosi

32. TheWizard says: Feb 24, 2010 3:03 PM

I’ll never forget Pete Axthelm calling him the “Slowin’ Samoan” when his career was winding down.
    RIP

33. Richm2256 says: Feb 24, 2010 3:53 PM

bigbirdsfan says:
    ————————————————-
    I feel bad for you, son. Before you pop off a comment like that, maybe you should pay attention to what people who know better have to say about him?
    It’s hard not to like a player like Mosi, no matter what team he played for, because to the fans, we want a player who lays it all out there and tries like we think WE try, in our own little ways.
    Mosi was that guy.
    No, he didn’t have flash or run for mega-yards, but give me a guy who can get you that solid one yard fifty times when you really need it, rather than a guy who can break off a fifty yard meaningless play when you don’t.; give me a guy that can consistently give you a solid run-back on a kick return to put you in decent field position, rather than a flashy 90 yard TD once a year.
    Mosi was that guy.
    And he played special teams like a maniac, on BOTH sides of the ball.
    bigbirdsfan, I feel bad for you that that’s all you appreciate, a “me first” flash-in-the-pan statistic producer that you can’t count on in the crunch, instead of get-it-done-no-matter-what grinder.
    Mosi was that guy. Whoever mentioned Wes Welker, you get it.

34. Richm2256 says: Feb 24, 2010 11:23 PM

Janice, I lived in Cumberland back then, and saw the Pats at Bryant many times.
    What she’s saying is that the players would dress in the school locker rooms and walk over to an adjacent practice field. Not a mile away, but still a pretty fair hike when you’re doing two-a-days. And yes, the fans would line up on the path through the trees that the players had to walk through after practice; they were RIGHT THERE, you could touch them, they were that close. And yes, they stopped and signed, almost to a man.
    Back then, the Pats would host a week with Parcell’s Giants for scrimmage (what, you thought Bob Kraft just picked Parcell’s number out of the phone book in ’93?) and I got to see Parcells go ape$hit on a very tired Lawrence Taylor, who ignored a little kid’s request for an autograph:
    “That kid is the only fan you’ve GOT on this field, Taylor, you DAMN WELL are gonna sign his cap!!!!!”
    And true to form, Taylor begrudgingly listened to Bill and signed the kid’s hat. Didn’t look too pleased to do it, either. A bunch of us cheered Parcells, and got a knowing wink from him.
    Bryant College (nee, University now), those were the days.

35. The Real Shuxion says: Feb 25, 2010 8:08 AM

BenRapistberger says:
    February 24, 2010 8:20 AM
    ————————————————-
    You graduated a year before I did (I transfered my senior year to King Philip)
    Your team actually was good, ours well, we went 1-9.

36. Dold Moose says: Feb 25, 2010 9:15 PM

I was one of the 2 founders of Mosi’s Mooses, I was that guy on the field who spelled out M O S I , here is what I’ve posted on a couple other boards that I’m on:
    that banner is rolled up in my basement,, I was going to donate it to the Pat’s hall of fame, but it was too big. I donated a bunch of photos and one of the last official Mosi’s Mooses t-shirts left…
    there are so many things that I could say, but as you can expect, I’ve been doing a lot of thinking and reflecting today, my lasting image of Mosi isn’t #30 walking back up field, alone, to join the kick off team
    it was seeing Mosi and Linena walking in to St Frances church in Scituate after taking the red-eye in from Houston, for my mother’s funeral
    great player, great friend