Packers franchise Pickett

The Green Bay Packers have officially applied the franchise tag to defensive tackle Ryan Pickett, Adam Schefter of ESPN reported and the team later confirmed.

Although both sides have indicated they want to get a long-term deal done, the move to slap Pickett with the franchise tag had been expected in the short term.

“Ryan has been a good teammate and productive player for us on the field and also a good representative of the Packers in the community,” GM Ted Thompson said in the team’s statement. “We look forward to having him be a part of our future.”

Pickett didn’t collect a lot of statistics as the nose tackle in Dom Capers’ 3-4 defense, but his presence in the middle of the line made him arguably the most important player on a Packers defense that led the league in stopping the run.

Pickett is the third defensive tackle to get the franchise tag, after Vince Wilfork with the Patriots and Aubrayo Franklin with the 49ers. The Steelers also plan to use the franchise tag on nose tackle Casey Hampton.

58 responses to “Packers franchise Pickett

1. Great move, hopefully a long term deal can be reached though. He’s the only must-keep UFA on the team. Now hopefully the RFAs can be retained.

2. Very interesting how many DT’s have been tagged this year given that DT is considered one of the deepest and strongest areas of the draft this year. I wonder if any of the teams who tagged their DT’s will go ahead and draft a possible replacement in the draft?

3. Dang. Thought they’d hash out a deal pre-deadline. I figure Collins may prove to be a more difficult sign for us. He’s likely to field a lot more offers as a 2-time Pro Bowl FS.
    Still, a good idea to nab Pickett. He’s a solid fit in our system.

4. Good move….Anytime you have a guy that will continually take on 2-3 guys to free up others to make plays, you keep him.

5. # Evpimp says: February 24, 2010 5:27 PM
    And thats the End of the Packers off season!! haha
    ————————————-
    So true.

6. “Very interesting how many DT’s have been tagged this year given that DT is considered one of the deepest and strongest areas of the draft this year.”
    ———————————————–
    While that may be true, Nose Tackles typically play their best football after they’ve been in the league several years. It’s not often that they make an immediate impact like a RB or something. So while the draft has plenty, it’s unlikely that any rookie NTs will contribute a lot at a high level.

7. 2 first round picks in 3 years, and now a $7 million franchise tender all devoted to one position. Steady Teddy.
    Ted is starting to collect DT’s like Millen hoarded WR’s. And we all saw how that worked out for Millen. Maybe he’ll trade up to take Suh.

8. “Ted is starting to collect DT’s like Millen hoarded WR’s. And we all saw how that worked out for Millen.”
    ———————————————-
    Fortunately for Ted, the Packers had the #1 ranked rush-defense last year.

9. # Majik Bullet says: February 24, 2010 6:34 PM
    ——————–
    unlikely, but i entertain thoughts of this….

10. # Majik Bullet says: February 24, 2010 6:34 PM
    Such in-depth, cogent analysis will, ten years from now, be thought of in the same way as Don Majikowski’s permed mullet…

11. ShimSham says: February 24, 2010 7:41 PM
    ———————————————-
    Fortunately for Ted, the Packers had the #1 ranked rush-defense last year.
    ____________
    That number 2 defense was a fluke, they will be exposed next year against a tougher schedule, just like it was exposed against any offense with a pulse this year, i.e. Minnesota, Arizona, Pittsburgh.

12. i’m back says: February 24, 2010 8:41 PM
    not surprising that Majik is still trying. trying real hard.
    __________
    Trying what? To make Ted look foolish? He doesn’t need me for that, he looks plenty foolish on his own.

13. Wow, Magik. You really are trying so hard, aren’t you? To compare Ted Thompson’s track record with Matt Millen’s?
    Pretty pathetic if you ask me, since the two are on polar opposites of the GM spectrum. But keep trying. Your bitterness is very entertaining.
    And please get a life.

14. “The same defense that gave up 51 points and 531 yards to an average offense in a playoff game, including 156 rushing yards to the NFL’s 28th ranked rushing attack.”
    That ‘weak’ Cardinals offense kicked the Vikings ass last season so I wouldn’t be talking.

15. I wasn’t comparing their track records, just noting one similarity, how they both seem to waste resources on a single position when there are other glaring needs on the roster. Millen did it with WRs, Ted with DTs.
    But let’s compare the two to determine how similar they really are. Millen had 0 playoff wins in 8 years, Ted has 1 in 10 years. Both have multiple losing seasons under their belts. Both guys are known for their first round draft failures. Both of them took over teams with winning records and drove them into the ground. And both have had fans create petitions calling for their termination out of disgust caused by their poor performance.
    But keep trying, your strong sense of denial coupled with your immense stupidity is very entertaining.

16. DocBG, hopefully Brett and Deanna will buy a piece of our franchise from Zyggi and convince the tightwad Governor to build us a nice stadium! And if Brett can’t get us past our fifth consecutive choke in the NFC Championship game and break our streak of four (NEVER FIVE!!!!) pukes in the Super Bowl, then we’ll steal Aaron Rodgers from those stinky cheesebutts and HE will lead us to the Promised Land!!!

17. Majik, you’re an idiot trying to compare Millen and TT. I love the in depth comparison. LOL what a moron.
    So you let pickett walk? Have Raji step in? Raji plays both DE and NT. You would watch a starter walk and take along with him all depth at NT? I think you have more in common with Millen.

18. green&bold says: February 25, 2010 8:16 AM
    ___________
    I wouldn’t have burned up all of those resources on one position in the first place. Look at all of the money they have invested in that position. 2 1st round contracts, and a franchise tender.
    And I wasn’t originally comparing the 2. Only when faced with criticism from green and gold idiocy was I forced to, and they turned out being more similar than even I anticipated. But if you don’t agree with my comparison, I challenge you to dispute one thing I said.
    packers4life
    I never once called the Arizona offense weak, I said they were average, which being ranked 14th out of 32 is incredibly average. Yes, they did beat Minny, but they scored 30 and gained under 400 yards. The Pack’s vaunted D gave up 531 yards and 51 points, in a playoff game.
    And I only mentioned this because some bonehead Packer fan was on here boasting about how great the Packer defense was, as if he had forgotten their final performance.

19. First Brett Favre is just like Michael Jordan, and now Ted Thompson is just like Matt Millen. Majik, you need to take a look at what kind of man Favre worship has made you. Not even joking.

20. Ruvell100 says: February 25, 2010 11:30 AM
    __________
    When did I say either of those 2 things? Just because I compare 2 people’s similar situations doesn’t mean I’m saying they’re just like each other. You really need to work on your comprehension skills.

21. The fact that you think they are remotely similar is the problem, Majik. Maybe on the very, very surface, but not with any depth of thought whatsoever.

22. “Yes, they did beat Minny, but they scored 30 and gained under 400 yards. The Pack’s vaunted D gave up 531 yards and 51 points, in a playoff game.”
    Dude it is just as embarassing when a team that was supposedly one of the top teams in the NFL at the time get exposed in a game where most thought they would win. Well, guess what. They didn’t. They got humilated. Badly.

23. and Majik. Just because Thompson got rid of Favre’s ass doesn’t make him a bad GM.
    In fact, Thompson is a pretty good GM. He is better than most in the league. Yes I know he had some misses in the draft but what GM doesn’t?
    Here are his hits and misses in the NFL drafts since becoming the GM in Green Bay.
    Hits
    -Aaron Rodgers
    -Nick Collins
    -Brady Poppinga
    -Michael Montgomery (not the best player but provides alot of depth)
    -A.J. Hawk (hasn’t lived up to his #5 status but still remains a reliable linebacker)
    -Greg Jennings
    -Abdul Hodge (wasn’t exactly a miss. He actually was not a bad linebacker. Injuries slowed him done though)
    -Jason Spitz
    -Will Blackmon (phenomial kick/punt returner)
    -Johnny Jolly
    -Brandon Jackson (not exactly worth a second round pick but is a reliable backup)
    -James Jones (provides a lot of depth alot he has sputtered off since his rookie season)
    -Aaron Rouse (although he was cut, he was not that bad of safety)
    -Korey Hall
    -Desmond Bishop (a special teams beast)
    -Mason Crosby
    -Jordy Nelson (reliable backup WR and provides alot of depth behind Driver and Jennings
    -Jermichael Finley (This kid is beast and a future star for the Packers)
    -Josh Sitton (clearly was the most reliable offensive lineman this past season and was the only one on the offensive line to start all 16 games in the same spot without moving)
    -Matt Flynn (is making a pretty good backup)
    Misses
    -Terrence Murphy (Neck injury cut his career short)
    -Marviel Underwood
    -Junius Coston
    -Mike Hawkins
    -Craig Bragg
    -Kurt Campbell
    -Daryn Colledge
    -Cory Rodgers
    -Ingle Martin
    -Tony Moll
    -Tyrone Culver
    -Dave Tollefson
    -Justin Harrell (He is a miss thus far. He still has time to prove why he was a 1st round pick but it doesn’t look good so far)
    -William Whitticker
    -Allen Barbre
    -David Clowney
    -DeShawn Wynn
    -Clark Harris
    -Brian Brohm
    -Pat Lee (a miss so far but injuries has derailed him so he isn’t a complete bust yet)
    -Jeremy Thompson
    -Breno Giacomini
    -Brett Swain (hasn’t really showed much but is decent on special teams)
    I didn’t include the 2009 draft because it is too early to tell if they are hits or misses (except for Matthews). I am waiting another season to determine the rest.

24. packers4life
    Poppinga- had all of 16 tackles last year.
    Montgomery- 2 tackles
    Hawk- number 5 pick barely holding starter job. Bust.
    Hodge- was cut by the team
    Spitz- was on a 50 sack line
    Blackmon- phenomenal (correct spelling) is a bit of a stretch
    Jolly- prison bound
    Jackson- you said it yourself, not worth the pick
    Rouse- great draft picks aren’t cut mid season
    Hall- Really? a back up fullback makes your list?
    Bishop- hasn’t done much
    Nelson- 2nd round pick for a 4th receiver.
    Finley- may pan out, not a superstar like you think just yet
    Sitton- again, 50 sack line
    Now, I’m not one to bash late round picks, but I also won’t let some homer call a 4th round pick a good pick if 2 years later the guy got cut. And it’s not trading Favre that made him a bad GM. I knew he was a bad GM way before he did that. You just helped me prove it. The guy strictly builds through the draft, and he is not very good at drafting.

25. Majik,
    Why do you insult everyone on this site. Why are you so angry ? No one can even attempt to have a debate with you without you questioning someones ability to think rationally. Who did what to you to make you the most bitter and angry steamin bowl on this site?

26. I don’t insult everyone, just the truly ignorant who deserve it. Like people who include Aaron Rouse as a great draft pick, or a guy who tried to once tell me Brian Brohm wasn’t a bust.

27. Majik,

28. Ruvell100 says:
    February 25, 2010 5:32 PM
    ——
    I have tried to shed light on Majik’s inability to get beyond the surface. He just wont listen. On any subject.

29. TheHydraPart6 says: February 26, 2010 10:07 AM
    ____________
    Kind of like others have tried to shed light on your inability to see Ted’s glaring faults. You just won’t listen.
    I do have the ability to see the big picture, it’s just that my picture looks different than yours, and you can’t handle the fact that anyone believes Ted’s plan just might not work.

30. Majik Bullet says:
    February 26, 2010 9:58 AM
    I don’t insult everyone, just the truly ignorant who deserve it
    ———-
    Then start talking to your bathroom mirror

31. I feel for everyone acquainted with you if I’m right, I don’t think you’ll be able to deal with the embarrassment and letdown of the Thompson fueled Packer collapse. And judging by the things you’ve said and done in the past, your meltdown could be epic, and very dangerous.
    ———
    Its football dude. Football that I have no part in. At the end of the day, it matters very little. There would be no meltdown over a Packer collapse for Christ’s sake.

32. TheHydraPart6 says: February 26, 2010 10:47 AM
    Majik Bullet says:
    February 26, 2010 9:58 AM
    I don’t insult everyone, just the truly ignorant who deserve it
    ———-
    Then start talking to your bathroom mirror
    ___________
    As for your meltdown, it would definitely happen. It’s pretty obvious that you take it personally, otherwise, why would you threaten to break somebody’s face for bashing Ted Thompson? You obviously have some issues.

33. Packers4life,
    There are a few guys I wouldn’t put on TT’s “hit” list:
    Montgomery-career backup
    Blackmon-good when he’s not hurt, but usually hurt
    Rouse-Tarzan/Jane syndrome, bad with Pack, worse with Giants
    Hodge-playing for Cinci, but I don’t think very much
    Hodge, Blackmon, Jason Hunter (lions starting DE) I’d put on a “maybe” list.
    On your “miss” list, though:
    Tollefson just got tendered by the Giants, 2nd round level (like $1.6 mil or so)
    Colledge can and has played 4 positions on the O-line, some better than others, took a step backward in ’09
    Harrel- Last chance. If he can’t stay healthy in TC, bust. If healthy, BEAST. Chronically injury prone since high school, so don’t hold your breath for beast.
    Crosby – All of his misses were to the right by not much. Get him a kicking coach and he’ll be fine.
    Jeremy Thompson and Pat Lee- get them on the field and maybe we can see. Stinger problems for a DE/OLB and knee problems for a DB don’t bode well.
    Whitticker and Brohm both snapped up off of practice squad by Bills, but a miss for TT either way.
    You left out Kuhn and Havner on the hit list. And his ’09 draft looks pretty good– Raji, Matthews, Quinn Johnson, Brad Jones.
    Hard to say with Barbre and Giocommini. Remember how long Wahle struggled (replaced by rookie Clifton) before finally getting it and cashing in? Gia has to get on the field and Barbre has to pull his head out of his arse. He just about got Rodgers killed in ’09. Time is running out, though.

34. My mirror is not stupid, it’s a very nice mirror. That is what I got out of this, unless you are truly pathetic enough to use the PeeWee Herman defense. Oh, right.
    ———-
    You can bash Thompson all you want. Thats not what is bothersome. What is bothersome is you cannot make a post without insulting whoever you are debating. Not sharing the same opinion is ok. But you do so with a hatred and an acid tongue that is inconprehensible. I do not know what you are like in person nor do I want to. I understand that you have stalked the internet and found on the court site my transgressions in my twenties. What is not understandable is you actually went out and looked for it. I suggest you take up a little drinking of your own. You may be at least tolerable then. I am willing to even speak for others though they may not post it….that they feel the same way.

35. I looked you up because I was trying to understand the type of person I was dealing with. And the results I found were right in line with how you conduct yourself on here, a history of incredible stupidity and failing to take responsibility for your actions. I didn’t stalk you, I used a simple website to find out some info. Similar to what you did when you looked up Monroe to see where I’m from. And for the record, I do drink occasionally, I just do it responsibly.
    What’s funny is how you rip me for bashing everyone I debate with, but at the same time do it yourself.
    This is the hypocrisy that we have come to expect from you Super, ridiculing others for doing the very same things you do yourself. And don’t try to say you just name call me, I’ve seen you do it to multiple posters, including your friend Chickenfoot. You’re holier than thou routine isn’t fooling anyone, just like the know nothing bit didn’t.

36. TheHydraPart6 says: February 26, 2010 12:53 PM
    On that note TheHydra will be retiring.
    _________
    I give it 2 hours. Or until the next Brett Favre story comes across.

37. “Spitz- was on a 50 sack line”
    Moron he was out for half of the season. And when he wasn’t, he wasn’t the one that was allowing all those sacks.
    “Hall- Really? a back up fullback makes your list?
    Bishop- hasn’t done much”
    Did you not read my statement? Bishop is a special teams BEAST. He was a sure hit.
    “Sitton- again, 50 sack line”
    Dude just because the Packers allowed 50 sacks doesn’t mean Sitton is a bad lineman. In fact, he is one of best young lineman in the league but was clearly overshadowed.
    and I love your reason for how Sitton was a miss. It looks like you put alot of thinking into it. Dumbass.
    “The fact that you have guys on the hits side that aren’t even on the team anymore proves your inability to think rationally. But let’s look at the rest. ”
    Dude. Out of the whole “Hit” list, only two are not on the team anymore. And you call me an idiot?
    ” and letdown of the Thompson fueled Packer collapse.”
    Really…a Packer collapse? You consider a team that went 11-5 a collapse? Wow. It’s no wonder no one takes you seriously.
    “Hawk- number 5 pick barely holding starter job. Bust.”
    Hawk has 399 career tackles and 8.5 sacks. That is not a “Bust” number.
    “Jolly- prison bound”
    Jolly was a starter at DE and had a monster year. He was a hit, BY FAR.

38. moron4life says:
    ” and letdown of the Thompson fueled Packer collapse.”
    _____________
    And 11-5 isn’t the collapse I was referring to. I was predicating a collapse in the future. I wouldn’t expect you to be able to comprehend this, but I do expect you to stay out of conversations that far exceed your level of aptitude. Your intrusions into said conversations is what makes you look ignoramus.

39. “Only 2 on the list are off the team. So this would qualify as “guys.” And you have them as successful picks. Using what logic. A player generally gets cut because he isn’t good enough to be on the roster, hence, not worth a draft pick. So yes, I call you an idiot.”
    Spending a 3rd round pick on Rouse was not a waste. In fact, he was not half bad when he get on the field Well, aside from struggling in coverage, he made a few big plays including that 99 yard interception return against the Colts last season and was a good special teamer. It was unfourtunate that he got cut and I was honestly quite surprised that he was. I admit though Rouse did get banged up pretty often.
    As for Hodge, he played pretty decent. I remember him starting a game a few seasons ago and in that same game, he recovered a fumble and ran it back for a touchdown. It was knee injuries that slowed down his production.

40. Majik,
    Just out of curiousity, if Ted were fired today, will you be a Packer fan again? I’m not here to argue with you or anyone else. Just curious if that is why you dislike the Packers so much now? Correct me if I’m wrong, but weren’t you a fan at one point?
    Though I don’t always agree with Thompson, nor can I even claim to be a fan of him, he runs the team that I support, and there’s no way I could ever jump ship to another team, even if I wanted to. I just hope that his stupid decisions work out for the best.
    Its just like the Brewers. When Yost was manager, I absolutely hated the guy. Everyday, I hoped that he would be fired. But that didn’t stop me from rooting for the Brewers. Its just not in my blood to jump ship. I take the good with the bad.