Myron Rolle wants to play for a decade

We noted over the weekend that some NFL teams are concerned that Myron Rolle, the Florida State safety turned Rhodes Scholar, might not be completely dedicated to football because his ultimate goal is to be a neurosurgeon, not a Pro Bowler. But Rolle said today that he plans to have a long NFL career.

Appearing on ESPN Radio, Rolle said his plan is to “play for a decade or so, then go to medical school.”

“I’m committed to football right now,” Rolle said. “A question I have received from several different NFL scouts and personnel people is, How committed am I to football? Am I going to want to play this game and leave after two years and go into medical school? My answer to them is that I want to play football and I’m passionate about it.”

Rolle noted that Bill Bradley spent a year as a Rhodes Scholar and then spent 11 years with the New York Knicks before pursuing a career in politics. Rolle said he wants to have a similarly lengthy and successful career as a professional athlete, and that he’s looking forward to showing what he can do this weekend in Indianapolis at the NFL scouting combine.

“The combine will be the first big stage for me,” Rolle said, “to put my talents and ability on display.”

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
23 Responses to “Myron Rolle wants to play for a decade”
  1. DCPowerGator says: Feb 25, 2010 9:03 AM

whoop dee doo. 4th rounder at best, he is routinely beat deep despite good measureables. maybe he runs a fast 40 and scoots up in the draft for that reason but looks like a marginal pro prospect. OTOH, 11 years as a NFL backup is not a bad living!

2. po knows football says: Feb 25, 2010 9:08 AM

It’s going to be embarrassing when a kid like that ends up on a team like the Bengals with some of the dumbest people imaginable.

3. robesi says: Feb 25, 2010 9:09 AM

How can anyone NOT root for this guy? I’m not a ‘Noles fan, but I’ll support any Rhodes Scholar that helps break down stereotypes of the “dumb jock.”
    Best of luck, Myron.

4. shwangyo says: Feb 25, 2010 9:14 AM

Wait, there is someone at the combine besides Tebow?

5. Big Stretch says: Feb 25, 2010 9:20 AM

Nice post MDS,
    I could tell this wasn’t a Florio story without reading the by line just based on the lack of negativity.

6. Iggles fan says: Feb 25, 2010 9:24 AM

Hopefully the kid doesn’t get a concussion and lose his smarts

7. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Feb 25, 2010 9:26 AM

man he’ll be fine

8. jj jones says: Feb 25, 2010 9:48 AM

“whoop dee doo. 4th rounder at best, he is routinely beat deep despite good measureables. ”
    He was not routinely beat that. You made that up.

9. SATAN567 says: Feb 25, 2010 9:49 AM

@DCPowerGator:
    Typical trash statement from a Florida fan. FU DC PowerGator. Go Noles and Roll Tide.
    Douche bag.

10. Ralph Gre Nader says: Feb 25, 2010 9:51 AM

Stick to football kid, nobody needs doctors. Where the hell is Rhodes University? Is that SEC or ACC? And for God’s sake why would you choose neurosurgery? Do you honestly think you’ll need to know anything about brain injuries for your life after football?

11. NightTrainNeckTie says: Feb 25, 2010 9:52 AM

“You don’t draft for need”
    If you’ve got a very athletic rhode scholar who played 3 years at a big time program like FSU sitting on the board in the 4th. You take him no questions asked.
    He can play safety, linebacker, special teams and maybe even runningback, that’s right I said runningback.

12. STLsteel says: Feb 25, 2010 9:53 AM

I see him as a Steeler and being their 3rd round pick. He’ll be perfect Ryan Clark’s replacement.

13. STLsteel says: Feb 25, 2010 9:53 AM

14. MakingitRain says: Feb 25, 2010 10:02 AM

I just hope Al Davis doesn’t end up with this guy. Being around Al Davis would cost him I.Q. points. He would be an idiot by the time he left there.

15. PhillyHouse says: Feb 25, 2010 10:10 AM

I’m glad to see Myron Rolle getting more attention. To me, any NFL team would want him because of his intelligence. I’m not saying you reach for him in the 1st round, but I believe if anyone will have a strong work ethic, and dedication to his craft, it would be him.

16. May The Schwartz Be With You says: Feb 25, 2010 10:18 AM

Hopefully the Leos take a flyer on this guy in one of the middle rounds
    1. Rolle plays defense and the Lions D is terrible
    2. Rolle is wicked smart and he could play for years opposite Delmas

17. VoxVagina says: Feb 25, 2010 10:55 AM

Alright I think a bunch of teams just put him back on their draft board. NFL GMs want to know how long he will play and now they have an answer. He’s not a bad player, either

18. PhillyBen says: Feb 25, 2010 10:58 AM

I knew Myron in high school when he went to the Hun School of Princeton and there couldn’t be a nicer kid.
    It is stupid of NFL teams to penalize a player who WAS a 1st round pick if he would have entered the draft after his junior season at FSU, now people are saying 4th rounder???
    Mark my words, late 2nd to early 3rd he is too complete of an athlete, player, and person to pass up on.
    And @NightTrainNeckTie, just so you know he played running back in high school and was filthy!!!
    Ralph Gre Nader says:
    February 25, 2010 9:51 AM
    -Your as ignorant as anyone I know and if I were you I’d find an encyclopedia ASAP…..there is no Rhodes University, a Rhodes Scholar is someone who has been offered to study at Oxford University (the Harvard of Europe).
    -Why doesn’t the world need doctors again? I’ve just wasted my breath responding to you, but I figured it just had to be done.

19. finsbooyah says: Feb 25, 2010 11:09 AM

This is the type of guy you root for… But NFL teams aren’t drafting doctors… He looks like a mid-round pick to me

20. Duck Fallas says: Feb 25, 2010 11:33 AM

PhillyBen – Check your sarcasm detector, I think (hope) he was joking. Then again, this is PFT comments so anything is possible.
    If he really loved football he would have said “I want to play as long as possible”.

21. ☻☼CBS, FOX, ESPN, NFLN nbc says: Feb 25, 2010 12:22 PM

Philly Ben_____I love how you TROLLED a few of these chumps!
    Successful troll is successful!!!1!!

22. Adam says: Feb 25, 2010 9:09 PM

Iggles fan says:
    February 25, 2010 9:24 AM
    Hopefully the kid doesn’t get a concussion and lose his smarts
    That really would be awful.

23. nozzleman454 says: Feb 25, 2010 9:36 PM

STLsteel- I think that Rolle next to a legend like Polamolu would be dynamic!