Steelers, Hampton set to announce new deal

NFL_hampton.jpgOn the same day that the Steelers faced a deadline for deciding whether to use the franchise tag on veteran nose tackle Casey Hampton, the two sides have finalized a new deal.

According to KDKA-TV, the Steelers have reached an agreement with Hampton.  It’s expected to be announced later today.

It’s a three-year, $21 million contract, with $11 million guaranteed.

The 325-pounder (when weighed with one foot on the ground) joined the Steelers in 2001 as a first-round draft pick, and he has been a key member of the team’s 3-4 defense, which requires the presence of a large, athletic man who can tie up blockers in the middle of the line.

If the Steelers had used the franchise tag on Hampton, he would have been entitled to a one-year, $7 million contract.

The $7 million average over three years falls far short of the high end of the market for defensive lineman, which currently is in the range of $12 million annually.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
25 Responses to “Steelers, Hampton set to announce new deal”
  1. jbruder02 says: Feb 25, 2010 8:46 AM

Gotta love it.

2. FireJerryJones says: Feb 25, 2010 8:51 AM

Mrs. Wilfork won’t be pleased with this.

3. FinnSteeler says: Feb 25, 2010 8:57 AM

Sounds perfect! Hampton has not been too overweight the past couple of seasons. So if he just can stay healthy he should be good to go for a couple more seasons at least. Looks like once again Steelers did not overpay and the deal is reasonable for both parties. If somewhat healthy Hampton should stay with Steelers trough this deal.

4. tkebean says: Feb 25, 2010 9:00 AM

Great news. Now the steelers don’t have to worry about using a high draft pick on a DT. Now they can just focus on CB, MLB, DE and the O-Line.

5. Shawn says: Feb 25, 2010 9:21 AM

I’m so glad the steelers worked something out with Casey, but they need to aquire another Dt to take over for when he’s gone(or when he wears down in a game). I suggest the steelers look to drafting DT Terrence Cody somewhere in the draft. Of course I suggest a Ot or CB in the first round. Maurice Pouncey — C, Florida or Patrick Robinson — CB, Florida State. I’m in suport of them drafting Pouncey and not cause i’m a florida fan(Georgia Bulldog fan) but because he is an incredible OL. If Earl Thomas is available at #18 then forget Robinson.

6. steeltownpride says: Feb 25, 2010 9:25 AM

Im sure its a big signing bonus for the uncapped year . Then his 3 season will be a nice cap friendly number . Another solid move from the best organization in football . GO STEELERS

7. EdgarSnyder says: Feb 25, 2010 9:32 AM

I am not sure this was a smart move considering his past weight/motivation issues.
    Let’s hope he doesnt pack it in now that he got his final paycheck.

8. Chapnasty2 says: Feb 25, 2010 9:35 AM

@ shawn
    Are you friends with Mr. Hampton? I can’t see any other reason why you would call him by his first name.

9. rpiotr01 says: Feb 25, 2010 9:36 AM

Good deal for both sides. Hopefully this helps the Packers along with a deal for Ryan Pickett.

10. Heart Of Steel says: Feb 25, 2010 9:43 AM

Great job keeping the anchor of the DL in the Steelers 3-4! The signing was good for both sides. The Steelers didn’t overpay and Hampton got $11 million guaranteed. The Steelers now need to look for some depth and bring in some youth to eventually take over the nose tackle position, as Hampton can probably be very productive in his final 3 years in Pittsburgh. GREAT SIGNING!!

11. sirchap says: Feb 25, 2010 9:45 AM

Awesome. I’m sure big snack doesn’t want to move, learn a new system, etc. He’s in the perfect place for himself. Good for both sides.
    They have Timmons ready for Farrior’s spot, get a servicable vet (or let Fox fill in) when Farrior is done. He did fine last year.
    Need a CB bad. Need some O-line depth. What happened to the developement of linemen? Every year we take a few, and they rarely pan out. Is that on coaching?

12. STLsteel says: Feb 25, 2010 9:49 AM

I’m glad they got this deal done! I still think thy need to draft his replacement and maybe Mt. Cody will fall to the second round? My perfect draft would be…..
    1st round – R. Mclain LB
    2nd round – T. Cody NT
    3rd round – M. Rolle S

13. ampats says: Feb 25, 2010 9:49 AM

Thanks Steelers! This definitely helps in finalizing a contract for Big Vince.
    Very team friendly deal!

14. STLsteel says: Feb 25, 2010 9:49 AM

1st round – R. Mclain LB
    2nd round – T. Cody NT
    3rd round – M. Rolle S

15. ssalmon says: Feb 25, 2010 9:53 AM

I’m no physicist but I’m preeety sure weighing yourself with one foot off of the ground won’t change your weight.

16. Aequitas says: Feb 25, 2010 10:13 AM

“The 325-pounder (when weighed with one foot on the ground)…”
    He eat the other one?

17. Wick says: Feb 25, 2010 10:22 AM

Really glad to have Hampton back — but like “Edgar Snyder” says, it’s important that Hampton have the pride to gun it hard down the stretch.
    This will be Hampton’s last big payday, and we’ve seen other players go in the tank at this precise point in time … particularly players who need strong discipline to combat weight problems. We’ll keep our fingers crossed, but at this point – I dig it!

18. Holeinone09 says: Feb 25, 2010 10:44 AM

Happy about this getting worked out, and pretty quickly I might add. I thought this might drag through training camp. Not an expert but the cost does seem fair. Hampton obviously can still play and does a great job of clogging up the middle. Yes, they need to get a NT backup but having Big Snack here and happy is a great thing for the Steelers and us fans. Congrats to both sides.
    Can’t wait for the season to start and we start smacking heads with our AFC North rivals!
    GO STEELERS!

19. wgw27 says: Feb 25, 2010 10:50 AM

Motivation was never a problem with Hampton. Weight yes but a 3-4 NT needs to be 300+ to clog the middle. great signing.

20. Brohamma says: Feb 25, 2010 11:12 AM

ssalmon says:
    February 25, 2010 9:53 AM
    ————————————————-
    You beat me to it. Good job!

21. wgw27 says: Feb 25, 2010 11:22 AM

22. Deb says: Feb 25, 2010 1:44 PM

Great news! I did not want to franchise Casey and have him show up at camp fat and grumbling. Now he’ll show up fat and sassy! Perfect!
    @chapnasty2 … This is Steeler Nation. We’re all one big, happy family. What–you don’t call your Cowboys by name?
    @STLsteel … You’ve been peeking at my draft wish list!!!!

23. BBB82 says: Feb 25, 2010 1:53 PM

Just think how many twinkies he can buy with all that cash…

24. Matt says: Feb 25, 2010 9:26 PM

BIG SNACK!

25. nozzleman454 says: Feb 25, 2010 9:52 PM

I dont think Mt Cody will be there in round two. I would like to see them get help for the o-line.
    1. G-Mike Iupati
    2. DT-Brian Price or MLB- B. Spikes??
    3. S-Myron Rolle