Bucs employee asked bizarre question of Myron Rolle

g-cvr-090113-rolle-245a.widec.jpgWe’ve heard stories over the years about efforts by NFL scouts and/or coaches to rile up incoming players, in order to see how they’ll react to stressful situations.  Last year, linebacker Aaron Curry told us about a Saints assistant who was barking at the players as if they were in boot camp.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports (via JoeBucsFan.com) reports that the Bucs tried to get under the skin of former Florida State safety Myron Rolle at the Senior Bowl by asking him “what it felt like to desert his team this season.”

Rolle spent 2009 studying at Oxford on a Rhodes scholarship, in lieu of exhausting his eligibility at Florida State.

“I hadn’t heard that one before,” Rollle told Cole.  “My initial
reaction was a bit of confusion.  It never was anger, but I was more
bothered by the question because if anyone knew my involvement with my
teammates, how much they care about me and how much I care about them.”

The idiocy of the question comes from the fact that it can be asked of every player who leaves college with any remaining eligibility.  Of course, there’s a chance that the Bucs really don’t believe Rolle “deserted” his teammates, but that they simply wanted to try to throw him off.

The deeper concern is that Rolle’s unconventional streak could make it even harder for an NFL coach to properly control a room full of grown men, several of whom make more money than the NFL coach.  Then there’s the fact that Rolle might be not only smarter than his teammates, but also smarter than his coaches.

It’s the kind of thing that makes control-obsessed football coaches very uneasy.  If, after all, a player possesses the smarts to out think some or all of his coaches, the player could end up with far more power than any coach ever wants any player to have.

Permalink 66 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
66 Responses to “Bucs employee asked bizarre question of Myron Rolle”
  1. Thor says: Feb 26, 2010 3:07 PM

In the case of Tampa, he would be WAY smarter than his coaches. And GM.

2. nerd says: Feb 26, 2010 3:10 PM

They’re testing him, because he’s believed to be “unconventional.” The right answer is, “I’m trying to support my family.”
    Next question?

3. Vikes#28Owns says: Feb 26, 2010 3:11 PM

God forbid someone drafts a smart player.

4. Big Stretch says: Feb 26, 2010 3:11 PM

anyone else see FSU play last year? he didn’t miss anything special , and they weren’t a DB away from a top 10 ranking so who gives a shit. The idiot coach was probably jealous that Rolle can read books without pop out pictures.

5. hizzle1281 says: Feb 26, 2010 3:11 PM

no sir

6. BillsFan27 says: Feb 26, 2010 3:15 PM

I’ll lean towards “he’s just an asshole.”

7. Reasonable says: Feb 26, 2010 3:17 PM

It’s the kind of thing that makes control-obsessed football coaches very uneasy. If, after all, a player possesses the smarts to out think some or all of his coaches, the player could end up with far more power than any coach ever wants any player to have.
    ———————————————–
    Looks like he will have to play for coach Beilicheck.

8. quadya says: Feb 26, 2010 3:22 PM

Now thats journalism. Love it Florio, keep it up.

9. Brohamma says: Feb 26, 2010 3:24 PM

Alright Florio!!
    Now we are getting back to what made this site the power house that it was before NBC showed up on the scene.
    And I quote… “Then there’s the possibility that the guy who asked the question is just an asshole.”
    Seriously, the site is really a great one and frankly, it’s the first place I stop each time that I log onto the net. I’m glad that the Turd Watch has, rather quietly, POKED ITS HEAD OUT again… no pun intended.
    On that note… I’ll leave you with a true classic. It’s not a Seinfeld clip but I will definately make you chuckle for the next day or two.

10. twinkletoes says: Feb 26, 2010 3:29 PM

If certain teams feel intimidated by Rolle’s mental prowess, they should steer clear of Eric Berry as well. Lost in all of his Ed Reed comparison hype is the fact that Berry has been a stellar student over the course of his life.
    Rolle is a Rhodes scholar; none of the coaches in the entire NFL are smarter than he is. Besides, why would any coaching staff want to take on a player who could absorb the playbook with relative ease? The league has an epidemic shortage of morons that needs to be addressed.

11. spyboots says: Feb 26, 2010 3:30 PM

I would say the last possibility mentioned is the correct one.

12. NelDawg9 says: Feb 26, 2010 3:32 PM

What an Idiot!

13. tacious says: Feb 26, 2010 3:33 PM

Someone should ask the Bucs coaching staff what it was like to desert the City of Tampa last season!

14. east96street says: Feb 26, 2010 3:33 PM

It’s Tampa Bay. It’s a certainty that the guy who asked the question is an asshole. Glazers are just looking to for excuses to sign guys for the absolute minimum so the whole family doesn’t go bankrupt from it’s brilliant dealings in the world of European soccer. NFL should step in and force them to sell.

15. downsouth49er says: Feb 26, 2010 3:36 PM

Yeah I think the guy who asked the question is just an asshole…I wouldn’t want to play for the Bucs anyway lmao

16. PantherPride74 says: Feb 26, 2010 3:38 PM

There is also the possibility that the guy who wrote this article is an asshole who actually thinks that the Giants Steve Smith is better than the Panthers Steve Smith. Come on Florio why didn’t you take another shot at the REAL Steve Smith? I guarantee if Jake Delhomme had been throwing to the Giants Steve Smith he wouldn’t have had half the catches the Panthers Steve Smith had. Out Steve Smith is so damn good he can still be productive with Jake Delhomme throwing him the ball. I can’t wait untill he finds you someday and breaks your nose for all your asinine comments… asshole!

17. northwoodsviking says: Feb 26, 2010 3:39 PM

This is why I read PFT. Love it Florio.

18. LE says: Feb 26, 2010 3:40 PM

Yup, sounds like he was just an asshole. RIght on the money, Mike.

19. tre_fizzle says: Feb 26, 2010 3:40 PM

i’d go with your closing sentence as the reason the question was asked.

20. jdchiefs says: Feb 26, 2010 3:41 PM

What is “smart” Florio? We are down on these guys because they can be so damn stupid, but this article makes it sound like being “smart” can be a detriment. Any coach worth his salt isn’t going to care if he is talking to Albert Einstein or Elmer Fudd; its about controlling the room. As a lawyer, I think you know that. How many times have you crossed an expert that obviously knows more than you but you made them look silly? I know people with master degrees that are lucky they can tie their shoes. I know people with high school educations that are geniuses by comparison. “Smart” people can still make fools of themselves. Why don’t we wait until Rolle is on the arrest ticker or named NFL Man of the Year? Then we can make our snap judgment on who is smart based on what others are telling us. I know a Rhodes Scholarship is HIGHLY prestigious, but come on…its not free pass for a stupid-free life. Oh, and the Raiders suck. End soapbox…..

21. Citizen Strange says: Feb 26, 2010 3:43 PM

He could ask the exact same question of the Bucs coaches.

22. Calir says: Feb 26, 2010 3:43 PM

23. Dayton Dolfan says: Feb 26, 2010 3:43 PM

maybe he should have asked the Glazers how it feels to abandon an entire fan base.

24. Pier588 says: Feb 26, 2010 3:44 PM

I’m voting for the “a$$hole” angle – that was a pretty stupid question filled with an underlying flavor of idiocy to ask Rolle. Was Raheem on board with his underling asking potential future talent such a stupid question?

25. gobearsgo says: Feb 26, 2010 3:44 PM

Hahaha, awesome concluding sentence. Makes the article.

26. Enjoysatan says: Feb 26, 2010 3:44 PM

Gotta love it. Fear knowledge.

27. tinshaker says: Feb 26, 2010 3:45 PM

He should’ve turned around and asked to Bucs what it felt like to desert the concept of playing good football.

28. LetsGoPens says: Feb 26, 2010 3:46 PM

I’m sure a team is going to pass up a player that has NFL talent because he is too smart…

29. Roger the Dodger says: Feb 26, 2010 3:49 PM

I’m going with your last possibility. The guy is just an asshole.
    Some people, when interviewing, think they can get away with any stupid question they come up with – just because they’re the hiring party. A strong interviewee knows better; he can always walk away and know that he would be better off not working for an organization that would hire such an idiot.

30. BleedGreen says: Feb 26, 2010 3:54 PM

I’m going with your final assertion, Florio.

31. Kool Herc says: Feb 26, 2010 4:00 PM

“Fair question. Deep down, Rolle has other things on his mind then football and that’s fine, unless your are thinking about drafting him high.”
    Agreed, that question is far less strange to me than “what type of animal would you be?” and numerous others I’ve heard. Of course they were trying to throw him for a loop to see how he’d react.

32. midbloom says: Feb 26, 2010 4:06 PM

i’m just waiting for the day an assistant makes a rude comment about a players mother to test his anger-management…

33. realitypolice says: Feb 26, 2010 4:08 PM

Calir says:
    February 26, 2010 3:43 PM
    =================
    Not a fair question unless the coach asks it of every player who leaves college early, which is an awful lot of first round draft choices.
    And every player has things other than football on his mind. Just because the things on his mind include medicine, literature, and making society better instead of Hummers, jewelry, groupies, and strip clubs like most players, it shouldn’t be held against him.

34. snnyjcbs says: Feb 26, 2010 4:10 PM

A Rohdes Scholarship player?, I do not think that there is a coach in the NFL that could come close. Knowing your x’s and o’s does not make you a World Beater in being educated.

35. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Feb 26, 2010 4:14 PM

36. KingGator13 says: Feb 26, 2010 4:16 PM

The Bucs also wanted to know if he would help with the traffic issues in Tampa should they draft him, since he was a Roads Scholar and all.

37. USAHockey says: Feb 26, 2010 4:17 PM

Wonder if this Dbag asked Josh Freeman that question last year.

38. GoBrowns19 says: Feb 26, 2010 4:17 PM

The guy is obviously cut from a different mold than most NFL’ers…who are all about money money money…plus hes very smart. I’d take him on the Brownies any day.
    As far as the question…pay me a million bucks you can ask anything you want! They’re smart to ask something like that if in fact they were just trying to see how he’d react to some adversity. I guess.

39. Champ Kind with Sports says: Feb 26, 2010 4:18 PM

I can’t believe how simple Florio is being here, and how easy it is to incite the knuckle-draggers on this site.
    How is this question “idiotic?”
    You really think they would even be interviewing him if they thought he was a “deserter?” They just want to get a reaction out of him and see what makes him tick. They obviously have interest in the kid, and nobody lacks respect for him, I guarantee you.
    The Bucs staff is an easy target right now because they had a bad season, so I get that it is fun to shoot fish in a barrel sometimes, but this is just sad, and really it is demeaning to your own website to have such poor “analysis.”

40. sven_ftw says: Feb 26, 2010 4:18 PM

what a prick. especially since the kid is obviously brilliant, and took advantage of a VERY rare scholastic opportunity…

41. wydok says: Feb 26, 2010 4:20 PM

Stay classy, Tampa Bay!

42. jwill007 says: Feb 26, 2010 4:28 PM

WOW! Thats sounds like Hate Florio and you know it…
    With so many stereotypes here is a guy who is DESTROYING the stereotype of black football players that leave college with 1 dream FOOTBALL! Then this guy comes along and he is talking about getting into the details of Stem Cell research??? Are you kidding me??? He should be an example to every football player be it black or white to STAY EDUCATED and football comes after that…….
    Yeah the Buc employee is an ASSHOLE!

43. Advo says: Feb 26, 2010 4:34 PM

Didn’t Singletary and the Niners want their shrink to examine Stafford about his parents’ divorce?
    Anyways, a team like the Pats are smart enough to draft Rolle and get him to perform at his best under a complex defensive system that demands smart players.
    And Rolle must be intelligent enough to realize that Tampa isn’t going to go anywhere in terms of winning. What kind of motivation for a player is it when he’s on a team like that?

44. Anarcho Purplism says: Feb 26, 2010 4:46 PM

A DB with smarts trumps a dumb DB.
    Yeah he may quit the game sooner than the dummies, but Tampa doesn’t have to worry about that.

45. VoxVagina says: Feb 26, 2010 4:47 PM

“I hadn’t heard that one before,” Rollle told Cole
    Myron Rollllllle?

46. texasPHINSfan says: Feb 26, 2010 4:50 PM

Why is Rolle getting so much bad press for being a smart person?
    It’s like the media in this country punishes the smart ones and rewards the dumb ones.

47. Seeryer says: Feb 26, 2010 4:56 PM

Do people forget how horrible Myron Rolle was at FSU? He was never and I mean never any good. He took poor angles and was never very physical. I am sorry but if he goes in the top 3 rounds I think that would be a big stretch by an organization. He mentally does not have the physical fury that it takes to excel in the NFL and he understands quantum physics better than he understands taking a proper angle on a football field. He already knows that so I wouldn’t expect him to be too comitted to destroying his body and possibly mind (concussions) when he has off field opportunities galore.

48. drumbug71 says: Feb 26, 2010 4:56 PM

I graduated college summa cum laude, but as soon as I got a job, I realized there was a lot I didnt know about (specifically industry-specific things).
    If Rolle is as smart as it appears, he would know that, even if he is smarter than his coaches, he’ll keep his mouth shut because he still has a lot to learn about football and the NFL.

49. Wizahdry says: Feb 26, 2010 5:07 PM

Welcome to a sliver of what we see and hear with this team every day in Tampa. Dumb questions to go with all the dumb moves.

50. FireJerryJones says: Feb 26, 2010 5:14 PM

Stuff like this is why the Bucs will never come close to winning again.
    Ironic that the Glazers deserted Bucs fans by throwing every last penny into a UK soccer team.

51. Sportnman says: Feb 26, 2010 5:26 PM

Two words;
    Simply, insulting!

52. braczey29 says: Feb 26, 2010 6:13 PM

this guy is highly intelligent and respectful..no priors?….i have to question his makeup as a NFL football player, one from Florida especially

53. Joe C says: Feb 26, 2010 6:15 PM

Now THAT is why I now come to PFT vs. ESPN or any other site for my pro football coverage. LOL

54. HarrisonHits says: Feb 26, 2010 6:16 PM

The Bucs staff member who asked him that question is definitely an asshole. And clearly someone who wouldn’t get into any college much less get a scholarship to Oxford. And therefore wouldn’t be able to conceive of the fact it was a once in a lifetime opportunity.
    In fact I’d say the guy who asked the question doesn’t even qualify as an a-hole, but rather as something liquid dripping out of one.

55. Brohamma says: Feb 26, 2010 6:23 PM

@Champ Kind with Sports
    Under your assumption of “they just want to get a reaction out of him and see what makes him tick”you seem to be excluding the possiblity that there isn’t one a-hole there that KNOWS the power he holds over these kids futures and that uses it in a, sometimes, malicious way.
    All that is happening here is that a light is being shined, by the media (including this site), on some of the “behind closed door” practices that take place during the combine.
    I am not saying all the team reps there do this, in fact, I would guess 99% of them don’t. However, it only takes one and you surely aren’t implying that this couldn’t be… are you?
    Sincerely,
    A knuckle-dragger

56. Opie says: Feb 26, 2010 6:45 PM

Good to know you don’t subscribe to that Florio. Hiring only people not as smart as you…….oh, wait, you did add Dr. Rosenpenis to the site…..

57. drbob1117 says: Feb 26, 2010 7:23 PM

Haven’t you ever interviewed anyone Florio? The guy didn’t honestly believe that he deserted his team when he had a chance to go to Oxford as a Rhodes scholar, even a Bucs assistant coach isn’t that stupid. He just wanted to see how he answered the question: Did he get offended? If so, it might make you wonder what will offend him on the practice field. Did he get mad? Maybe they were looking to see if they could get a rise out of him. Did he give a thoughtful, intelligent answer? That may give you some insight as to how he would handle a post game interview after a tough loss. They just wanted to see his reaction and it appears that he did just fine. Whether he can actually play football or not is a completely different matter.

58. realitypolice says: Feb 26, 2010 7:27 PM

KingGator13 says:
    February 26, 2010 4:16 PM
    =======================
    *Awesome*

59. Ron says: Feb 26, 2010 7:53 PM

I drive really slow in the ultra-fast lane,
    While people behind me are going insane.
    I’m an asshole
    I’m an asshole
    I use public toilets and I piss on the seat,
    I walk around in the summertime saying “How about this heat?”
    I’m an asshole
    I’m an asshole
    Sometimes I park in handicapped spaces,
    While handicapped people make handicapped faces.
    I’m an asshole
    I’m an asshole
    I’m an asshole
    I’m an asshole
    A S-S H-O L-E
    Everybody, A S-S H-O L-E

60. SFrancis1680 says: Feb 26, 2010 8:22 PM

MAYBE a guy who went to Oxford on a Rhodes Scholarship is simply out of place in a league that tolerates players involved in dogfighting, violence against women, killing someone with a car after you’ve been drinking too much, a player having seven kids with six different women at the age of 25, a head coach punching a breaking the jaw of a assistant, that same head coach then being accused of domestic violence, a player involved in a shooting in a strip club that lead to a person being paralized

61. savs says: Feb 26, 2010 9:55 PM

don’t you mean arsehole
    an ass is an animal – an arse is well, an arse

62. Throwback says: Feb 26, 2010 10:18 PM

This does kind of open a window into the thinking of the Bucs.
    There are a number of things I want to see in a football player and enough sense to study at Oxford on a Rhodes Scholarship instead of playing the game is, to me, a good thing.

63. Ca_Viking says: Feb 26, 2010 11:06 PM

Before last season, the NFL experts thought that, Rahem Morris, was WAY over his head as a head coach.
    Rahem Morris fired his Offensive Coordinator a WEEK before the season (a real sign that you have NO idea what your doing).
    Rahem Morris was the loooooooooser who led the Bucs to how many victories???????
    Good luck to Bucs fans who are relaying on a total moron, idiot, and a clueless coach named; Rahem Morris. The soon to be unemployed, never-was, want-to-be, has-been, loser; Rahem Morris.

64. Pier588 says: Feb 27, 2010 9:54 AM

(Chump Kid with Sports) times (CA_VikQueen) = “The A$$hole factor.

65. DeathByPurple says: Feb 27, 2010 12:48 PM

@ jdchiefs
    Apparently, being a lawyer doesnt mean that you do your homework. If you saw ANYTHING on Rolle, or even heard him speak once, you would realize that he wouldn’t be on the arrest ticker, and probably wont be the NFL MVP either. Your spin on this article is laughable.
    Of course “smarts” is a vague term. However, this is not some snot nosed nerd that has been homeschooled by overbearing parents. This is a good looking, talented football player that just happens to have even more intellectual ability than on field ability. He is concise in interviews and has a great outlook and noble plan for his life. How this can be seen as a flaw in football eyes is also laughable. This kid WILL make it and I hope it is the Vikings that get such a great talent and person. Stay classy lawyers.

66. Tinbender says: Feb 28, 2010 11:07 AM

Did this same idiot ask Rolle how long he has been a “Black” safety?