Holmgren will make it hard to get Harrison from Browns

Mike Holmgren sees a football team a little differently these days.

“Before I entered the front office, I didn’t care what anything cost,” Holmgren said Friday.

Now Holmgren is trying to figure out how much each player on his roster is worth.  I asked what level he would tender restricted free agent Jerome Harrison.

“I’m trying to remember,” Holmgren said.  “I’ve been in so many
meetings that I don’t want to give you the wrong thing.  But we’re going
to tender him something that makes it very difficult for someone to get
him.”

“He’s not the biggest guy in the world.  We’ve all seen this over the long season, it’s just hard for [running backs].  Hard. You need a couple of guys.”

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
12 Responses to “Holmgren will make it hard to get Harrison from Browns”
  1. BrownsClown says: Feb 26, 2010 5:23 PM

Harrison was lost in the Browns offensed last year as the Brown’s were focusing on trying to get Braylon ‘hands’ Edwards to run routes and catch the ball.
    Once they got rid of that Bozo and focused on running Harrison emerged.
    The CZAR will see that he is utilized much better in the future than he was in the past.

2. FumbleNuts says: Feb 26, 2010 5:26 PM

“Holmgren lauded Harrison’s play late last season, but appeared to doubt whether he could be a workhorse back.”
    Hey if you don’t want him, send him over to Seattle.
    We will trade you Deion Branch for Harrison.

3. Roger the Dodger says: Feb 26, 2010 5:30 PM

Don’t forget they have a kid on the roster who was IR’d in the preseason – after pretty much winning the #1 job last year. James Davis could be that “other” back.

4. TeHDruiD says: Feb 26, 2010 5:35 PM

He’s our only offensive playmaker, so I hope he’s making it hard to get rid of him lol

5. oh the usual says: Feb 26, 2010 5:46 PM

I think they have two backs. Harrison obviously stole the spotlight late in the season, but if you remember, the night Chris Jennings got the bulk of the carries (against Pittsburgh, I believe) he looked like a guy that should be getting the ball some too. his YPC was less than four, but Pittsburgh’s woes was against the pass, they were still stopping the run well at this point.
    Jennings isn’t necessarily a big guy either, as he is just one inch taller, and less than 20 pounds bigger, but I think these two guys could make a good backfield. James Davis may be in the mix too, who was injured last year. I think this team is pretty well set at RB.
    PS I’m not particularly a Browns fan, just a Browns apologist.

6. Advo says: Feb 26, 2010 5:57 PM

For better or worse as far as the Browns go, Holmgren is going to talk to the media and information is going to get out to the public.
    I really appreciate that as a fan instead of having a no-talk policy like the Pats have.

7. wryly1 says: Feb 26, 2010 5:59 PM

Harrison played as well as any back in the league down the stretch, but it was less than a half season’s work as the starter/load carrier. Holmgren is right – Harrison is neither big nor an inside runner – a big back is one of Browns many needs.

8. Dixon29 says: Feb 26, 2010 6:14 PM

Harrison can be had, but you better come with a first and third.
    Mark my words, this guy is an animal. He will rush for 2,000 yards in a season if he ever gets a full season’s workload. He is that good. Look up his highlights, a BEAST!

9. orangeandbrown85 says: Feb 26, 2010 6:37 PM

Keep him, and look for a bigger bruiser in the late rounds or if there’s something out there in free agency (doubtful). Davis is too much of a scatback himself to be the solution. MAYBE if Jennings improves he can do it but I’d still rather try to find someone in round 3 or 4. If we loose him, I’d go after Lendale White big time and run him and Davis by committee.

10. BBB82 says: Feb 26, 2010 7:18 PM

They still have James Davis on IR as well.

11. Laxer37 says: Feb 26, 2010 7:21 PM

Pay no attention to the elephant in the room!
    Without a serious quarterback to balance out the offence, teams will just load up against the run and shut it down. No doubt Harrison took teams by surprise during the last third of the season. Let’s see how he does now that teams have film on the guy.

12. trickbunny says: Feb 26, 2010 7:46 PM

BrownsClown says:
    February 26, 2010 5:23 PM
    Once they got rid of that Bozo and focused on running Harrison emerged.
    ————————————————
    I disagree with you. Harrison has been used sparingly for the last couple years and they continued to use him infrequently until *Jamal Lewis got hurt*- not when *Edwards was traded*. Edwards being gone, Harrison *still* would have been sitting on the bench if not for Lewis going down. Stupidly, the Browns didn’t utilize Harrison until they had no choice because the main back was injured.
    And not that I’m ever happy to see anyone injured, but thank you for getting the F out of the way, Jamal. We were so tired of watching your mouth run much farther than your legs can.