Gerhart jokes about only being compared to white players

One of the laziest and more annoying phenomenons in sportswriting is that white players are only compared to white players.  The same thing happens with black quarterbacks.

Stanford running back Toby Gerhart knows the phenomenon well.

“I was talking with John Lynch, and joking around with him, that he was in the same situation as a safety.  We’re often only compared to other quote unquote white guys that play our position,” Gerhart said.

There aren’t many players to choose from, so writers have stretched to say Gerhart is like John Riggins and Mike Alstott.

“I’m color blind,” Gerhart said.  “I’m a running back, I’d compared myself to the running styles of Eddie George and Corey Dillon.”  (On cue, the next question was about Gerhart playing fullback.  Sigh.)

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen said he’s found a team that
“really, really likes” Gerhart. “Some functional/scientific testing
they’ve done suggests better athlete than perceived,” Mort tweeted.

Gerhart said his goal time for the forty was “fast,” which was typical of his assured time with the media.  He and Joique Bell are the winners of our total meaningless and subjective favorite interview from the week.

Gerhart, who weighed in at 231 pounds, looks like a second-round pick.  He should go to a team looking for a power runner that welcomes contact.

But no, he doesn’t play like Mike Alstott.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
51 Responses to “Gerhart jokes about only being compared to white players”
  1. TheFoo says: Feb 27, 2010 5:43 PM

“better athlete than perceived”
    Is that racial?
    ^_^

2. MasterShake says: Feb 27, 2010 5:43 PM

Vikings would seem to be a team interested. If they lose Chester and don’t go out on a limb with Tomlinson or Mr. Concusion, it might make a good fit.

3. Maximus15 says: Feb 27, 2010 5:47 PM

An Eagles one-two punch of McCoy and Gerhart would be great!

4. DanSnyder says: Feb 27, 2010 5:50 PM

I’d compare myself to Steve Smith, carolina but I’m quite sure others would compare me closer to the any number of white rbs/wrs that were never drafted.

5. holycow says: Feb 27, 2010 5:52 PM

bet he’s got a good motor.

6. Bazooka Joe says: Feb 27, 2010 5:53 PM

I don’t blame him for not wanting to be compared to other white players. White athletes pretty much stink.

7. sniperhare says: Feb 27, 2010 5:54 PM

This happens all the time. It’s the subtle racism that still gets airtime on tv.

8. JaggedMark says: Feb 27, 2010 5:54 PM

Gerhart reminds me of Pete Banaszak.
    There you young whipper snappers. Ever heard of him?

9. JSpicoli says: Feb 27, 2010 5:54 PM

This guy is going to be a good one. This is coming from a Cal fan.

10. bullheel says: Feb 27, 2010 5:55 PM

Power back, Mortensen, hmm…., Sounds like Philly to me.

11. madbillsfan says: Feb 27, 2010 6:01 PM

There are stereotypes in everyones backyard…We will never get over it until they teach this at school…Just tell the truth.

12. Maddenboy says: Feb 27, 2010 6:01 PM

the plural, I believe, is “phenomena,” not “phenomenons.” But its okay, I like your writing very much. Best of all the minions since I started visiting this site (sight? just kidding) about 3 years ago.
    And what does gerhart mean about “quote unquote” (“enquote?”) white running backs? Is he suggesting he isnt white? A white running back is white. Not “white.” Unless i’m missing something, which is possible since i’m not white, but I cant imagine what he means.
    Keep up the good work Gregg. You really are the best since i’ve been here, except the Poobah himself.

13. dowens11 says: Feb 27, 2010 6:03 PM

2010 and this is finally addressed! Good for Gerhart. But this does open the door to future black power backs being compared to Toby! Hahahaha! “I’m sure this guy could carry the workload just like Toby!” Sorry if that’s out of line, but I’m black, so I don’t truly feel bad about making this joke.

14. Arson81 says: Feb 27, 2010 6:09 PM

Honestly, when I was watching his highlights the first name that came to mind was Duce Staley.

15. Dolphinatic says: Feb 27, 2010 6:13 PM

White “player” is right… give this guy a #69 jersey and send him into a night club…. Ladies love white guys that can move and considering how he dances on the field..Im guessing “player” is the appropriate term off it as well.

16. roofles says: Feb 27, 2010 6:14 PM

gerhart is a real lunchpail type of player, got a great motor, and is just a football player.
    great motor on that kid.

17. syge says: Feb 27, 2010 6:17 PM

Same thing happens with wide receivers. They’re all reliable intelligent slot receivers similar to Wes Welker.

18. AutumnWind999 says: Feb 27, 2010 6:20 PM

Gerhart is the real deal. Reminds me of a young Jamaal Lewis probably more than anything. A little different though.
    I’d love it if the Raiders could snag him in Round 2 or 3, even though RB isn’t a real big need. Afraid that he’ll wind up in San Diego and be a perennial Pro Bowler before long though.

19. pilot08 says: Feb 27, 2010 6:20 PM

haha awesome

20. TryTheVeal says: Feb 27, 2010 6:22 PM

Since, race is the issue….The greatest running backs of all time are black, the greatest Quartebacks of all time are white,…This is not a freakin perception, it’s reality. He’s a running back, who the hell else are they going to compare him too?

21. Mooch says: Feb 27, 2010 6:50 PM

Why not wait until round 6 and draft Tommy Vardell?

22. Andre_Johnson_for_prez says: Feb 27, 2010 6:53 PM

You’re all crazy, obviously this kid is going to Houston in the 2nd. Good organization for a good kid. He’s going to combine with Steve Slayton and it’ll be a solid 1 2 punch.

23. shinsnake says: Feb 27, 2010 7:06 PM

@TryTheVeal
    I agree, but it would be an outrage if in reverse. I mean, as long as no one complains that the media overrates him because they want to see a white running back succeed, then anything they say can’t possibly be racist!

24. tj.52 says: Feb 27, 2010 7:28 PM

What the hell is a ” quote unquote white guy “?
    Is that like Jamie Kennedy?

25. Catamount says: Feb 27, 2010 7:30 PM

Whites are systemically eliminated by reverse profiling from the time they are children. I coached and know that coaches automatically assume the white kid is not a skill player, so they get put on the OLine or on defense. Now, this stereotype is perpetuated by white coaches as well as black coaches, so it is not a racial issue. For the most part, Black athletes are faster, but not always. How many great running backs were veered to other positions by this unwillingness to accept White RBs?

26. The Jimmy says: Feb 27, 2010 7:38 PM

He reminds me of a cross between Merril Hoge and Tommy Vardell.

27. mashoaf says: Feb 27, 2010 7:41 PM

What about the colts drafting Gerhart as a change of pace back?

28. xgbx says: Feb 27, 2010 8:12 PM

I would love to see a Gerhart/McNabb backfield just to see Rush Limbaugh’s head explode.

29. Percy Nugz says: Feb 27, 2010 8:45 PM

Translations for analogies that announcers so often use for players like Gerhhart.
    *Deceptive speed = Surprisingly fast for a white guy.
    *Possession receiver = White receiver.
    *Surprising agility = White agility.

30. Maddog says: Feb 27, 2010 8:47 PM

They need to switch him to quarterback.

31. billybengal says: Feb 27, 2010 8:57 PM

Bazooka Joe
    You prove how dumb you are every time you write one here. White men can’t jump and black men cant swim I guess, or read, or work, or pay child support or stay out of jail or make good decisions, or…
    ….but hey we blacks are all great athletes right.
    Thanks to all the white guys forefathers for breeding us to be great athletes.

32. Count Sacula says: Feb 27, 2010 9:06 PM

Bazooka Joe says:
    February 27, 2010 5:53 PM
    ___________________________________
    Bazooka Joe, you are a racist asshole. There is no place on this board for a piece of shit such as yourself.

33. eagleindallas says: Feb 27, 2010 9:49 PM

I would love to see Philly draft Gerhart.
    Mccoy-Gerhart combo would be nasty…

34. YawnFlorio says: Feb 27, 2010 10:16 PM

Andre_Johnson_for_prez says:
    February 27, 2010 6:53 PM
    ___________
    ZERO credibility for NOT being able to spell the name of your team’s starting RB…it’s SLATON, moron.

35. nozzleman454 says: Feb 27, 2010 10:50 PM

If hes a smashmouth RB, he belongs in PIT.

36. Electrogasm says: Feb 27, 2010 10:53 PM

There are zero starting white tailbacks. No white running back has run for over 1,000 yards in nearly a quarter of a century and only about five percent of starting wide receivers and safeties are white.
    Has this amazing and now permanent disparity in a sport that whites have always loved and played so well come about solely because of “black supremacy” in athleticism? The NFL was integrated racially in the 1960s, ‘70s and ‘80s and there were plenty of whites then who played all defensive positions and who ran and caught the ball and who excelled at it. It is only since the late 1980s that certain positions in professional football have become for all intents and purposes black only.
    Might there be other factors involved? For example, did you know that the 119 Division I-A major college football programs, with very, very few exceptions, simply refuse to recruit and develop white tailbacks and white receivers no matter how outstanding they are in high school? And that the media enforces this rigid segregation by using euphemisms and descriptions that demean white athletes?
    Talented white athletes who want to play tailback, receiver or cornerback must go to a small college program or go the very difficult route of becoming a walk-on at one of the major programs, though Gerhart did not. And since it is the Division I-A programs that supply almost all the players in the NFL, it is hardly surprising that the white running back and wide receiver has become almost extinct, as have whites playing defense in general.
    The truth is that white football players, no matter how talented, are directed into a racial system that limits them to being offensive linemen, kickers, quarterbacks (though more and more major college programs are recruiting blacks for that position), and the occasional defensive position, usually linebacker or defensive end.
    Funny that Gerhart should be talking to Lynch given their endangered status.

37. shwangyo says: Feb 27, 2010 10:58 PM

He reminds me of Tony Dungy

38. Darth Vader says: Feb 27, 2010 11:43 PM

No if he goes to Pitt he’ll just play the Ravens 2x a year and get broken into tiny pieces like Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall.

39. oldlefthander says: Feb 27, 2010 11:48 PM

@xgbx
    That’s hilarious. Sign me up, too.

40. prophet of the light says: Feb 27, 2010 11:53 PM

He’s what the Patriots need. Someone who can take contact in the redzone and push it in.

41. Macadamia says: Feb 28, 2010 1:57 AM

“nozzleman454 says:
    February 27, 2010 10:50 PM
    If hes a smashmouth RB, he belongs in PIT.”
    ———————————————————–
    More like, if he’s a roid freak who ejoys slapping his momma or raping pigs, he belongs in PIT. ;)

42. monet99 says: Feb 28, 2010 2:39 AM

I remember Pete and Marv Hubbard!

43. Andre_Johnson_for_prez says: Feb 28, 2010 2:43 AM

uhh the y is next to the t sorry if i don’t check everything for typos jack ass

44. Adam says: Feb 28, 2010 3:31 AM

How about the Titans? CJ then switch to this guy. Would be sweet.

45. WTE says: Feb 28, 2010 7:10 AM

To me he’s like a cross between Craig James and Moose Johnson.

46. Slow Joe says: Feb 28, 2010 12:54 PM

I’d like to continue the joke here of comparing him to other white running backs from the last 30 years…
    …but I think we used up all six already.

47. DeathByPurple says: Mar 1, 2010 2:16 PM

TryTheVeal says:
    February 27, 2010 6:22 PM
    You idiot…that is the whole point meathead…just because the majority of the best RB’s are black and the majority of the best QB’s are white DOESN’T MEAN that a white RB cannot be compared to black RB’s and black QB’s cannot be compared to white QB’s.
    What you are saying TryTheVeal is that they cannot be compared to each other because the color of their skin. People like you give me a headache.

48. Bob S. says: Mar 1, 2010 7:21 PM

Remember what Jimmy the Greek said about running backs?

49. Shaun Lowrie says: Mar 2, 2010 5:54 AM

He reminds me of a cross between Shaun O’Hara and Morten Anderson.

50. IRISH MAFIA says: Mar 2, 2010 10:17 AM

To mashoaf,
    So the change of pace for thedolts would be when he comes into a game they would actually have a RB.
    Actually I like this kid, I think he could be better than some of the more high profile RB’s who have come out recently, to name just a few try:
    Lenwhale White
    Darren “stopped at first contact” McFadden
    Laurence “No Heart” Maroney
    Reggie “where’s the sideline” Bush
    Matt “I wish Kyle was back” Forte, could have chosen “one year wonder” but anytime you can gig Jay culter I am all for it.
    Will he be a one year wonder, who really knows, will he be a 10 year pro bowler, nope not with his style of running.

51. snowangel says: Mar 2, 2010 5:46 PM

He’s awfully articulate… for a running back.