Burwell says Rams haven't talked to the Eagles, yet

Earlier today, Bryan Burwell of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that “the Rams have had intense internal conversations with the Philadelphia Eagles about a trade for Pro Bowler Donovan McNabb.”  MDS wondered about the curious wording; how could the Rams have “intense internal conversations” with an external party?

As it turns out, they haven’t.

In an appearance with our pal Mike Gill (fellow WVU grad) of 97.3 ESPN Radio in Atlantic City, Burwell clarified the situation.

“Let me start right off by saying, I hate to do this but my copy desk screwed up my copy,” Burwell said.  “I did not say that the Philadelphia Eagles and the Rams were having intense conversations. . . .  What I wrote — and I just noticed it while I’m reading my column now and I went, ‘Holy crap, I didn’t say that’ — what I initially wrote was that the Rams were having intense internal conversations about [acquiring] Philadelphia Eagle Donovan McNabb.”

That sound in the distance is a bus running over the Post-Dispatch copy desk.

Still, it all makes sense, even though the online version of the article, as of this posting, has not been revised.  So for anyone who hasn’t heard Burwell’s explanation or read about it here, they’re likely still shaking their heads and wondering how in the hell the Rams have had “intense internal discussions” with any person employed by a team other than the Rams.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
38 Responses to “Burwell says Rams haven't talked to the Eagles, yet”
  1. Jimmysmith. says: Mar 2, 2010 8:22 PM

A Packer fan is one who is easily spoted.They are very slow in their thinking and response,they studder and drool.They are in the highest percentage in high school drop outs.They tend to inbreed and drink warm cheap beer.
    They have become brain washed to wearing cheese on thier heads for all of us to laugh at them yet they think it’s cool.They live in the past(usally in the 50’s and 60’s)because they have nothing to look forward to in the present.They have trouble identifying thier (ahem) “women” from farm animals.They tend to all have huge guts, both males and females.In short they are the lowest forms of humanity in all the earth.

2. slipkid says: Mar 2, 2010 8:30 PM

burwell is a jackass but will keep his job due to affirmative employment practices.
    which means, he is an obama-ite, so he cant be canned anyway.

3. Hooby says: Mar 2, 2010 8:30 PM

*queue the eagles hate speeches from cowboys fans/0-3gles jokes*

4. Chapnasty2 says: Mar 2, 2010 8:32 PM

I am curious Mr. Florio if you critique everyone around you and their personal conversations they have with you. Do you do the same to what comes out of your mouth? I have noticed at least 1 typo today on the title of a post! My point is simply this, just because someone made an error, and let’s face it we all do, doesn’t mean his explanation of that error isn’t credible or accurate. I don’t see any other reason as to why someone would have made such a drastic mistake. It was simply an error as he stated.

5. sdffa11 says: Mar 2, 2010 8:41 PM

ill be glad when mcnabb is finally gone. hopefully this year than next. i supported him for so long but he has taken 11 years of true dedication to the eagles and hes burned me every year. andy reid is responsible for this as well but they already signed him to an extension so i guess im stuck with him.
    how about a mcnabb for stephen jackson deal, rams?

6. BBrophy1 says: Mar 2, 2010 8:42 PM

the question is would internal discussions with an external party constitute tampering!

7. Mooch says: Mar 2, 2010 8:46 PM

Slipkid, just because the 7-11 you work at operates that way, don’t assume corporate America does.
    Keep at it, one day you’ll be able to stop cleaning the toilets…and move up to cleaning the grease trap!
    Too bad you couldn’t compete. At least we cut you that unemployment / disability check every month. And keep running up the medical tab, since you aren’t insured you aren’t paying for it anyway. We “socialists” will keep your freeloading ass off the streets.
    And god bless the man that will give me a top 50 pick for McNabb! And god bless America!

8. Mooch says: Mar 2, 2010 8:49 PM

But how does McNabb feel about the Rams uniforms?
    Because that has to be the #1 consideration for any pro.
    Michael Vick says so. DeWayne from “What’s Happenin'” says so.

9. Eaglesblitz says: Mar 2, 2010 8:55 PM

Jimmysmith what’s wrong man? Did some Packer fan have his way with you?

10. LighTsouT says: Mar 2, 2010 9:04 PM

@sdffa11
    Steven Jackson, who still has 2-3 years left as THE premier back in the league (no other back in the league is better than him, period) for a QB the same age as Marc Bulger, same offensive line as Marc Bulger, same receivers as Marc Bulger. Get where I’m going with this? if the Rams trade SJax for McNabb, we’d have Marc Bulger II under center and no SJax to carry the offensive load. We’d be as bad as the Lions if we did that. (yes, our record was worse, but we beat them Lions IN Detroit.)

11. heartstl says: Mar 2, 2010 9:12 PM

Burwell purposely did this to get attention. He doesn’t have many fans in St. Louis.

12. internettoughguy says: Mar 2, 2010 9:39 PM

Lived in St. Louis for 13+ years.
    Burwell is a hack.

13. sec130 says: Mar 2, 2010 10:05 PM

PFT’s first mistake: reporting on anything Burwell says.
    Burwell’s columns either: 1) are boring, 2) play the race card or 3) are inaccurate.
    On some magical days he hits the trifecta and works all three in.

14. fuhgyou says: Mar 2, 2010 10:15 PM

@LighTsouT
    McNabb > Bulger by far.
    He actually did carry whole teams for a long time with no help offensively.
    People knock McNabb out of ignorance. He has a great record, has had a lot of postseason success, and a three point loss to the Patriots after throwing the fourth best yards SB performance ever (and the first not by Kurt Warner). One or two different plays, maybe a fully healthy Owens, and the talk on McNabb right now is completely different.
    Whether you want to say he got sick, he choked, blah blah blah, he played well enough against those patriots and even last year against the cardinals to win. Other things were out of his control. A couple other years in NFC title games, he got hurt, or played hurt. In 2004, he’s healthy, they win (no Owens either, mind you).
    So tired of people giving him crap.

15. .VoxVeritas says: Mar 2, 2010 10:30 PM

“*queue the eagles hate speeches from cowboys fans/0-3gles jokes*”
    If you insist. Remember when Florio said that Broderick Bunkley got busted on a weapons violation? Yeah, that was a mistake, too.

16. .VoxVeritas says: Mar 2, 2010 10:30 PM

Close your mouth, Hooby.

17. Mooch says: Mar 2, 2010 10:55 PM

Fug – so if everything went perfect for McNabb he would have won?
    Sounds a lot like Rex Grossman. Why not just sign him and cross your fingers?
    Defense plays well…McNabb wins. Defense doesn’t…McNabb loses. Every time. For 10+ years.
    1-4 in NFC title games (when he was favored in 4 of them). he is Drew Bledsoe with a better defense at the end of the day.

18. Drat says: Mar 2, 2010 11:05 PM

Burwell is the best sports columnist in St. Louis, hands down. Although the racists don’t think so.
    He’s not a hack. He didn’t do this for attention. He has plenty of fans in St. Louis. There are just some fans here who live a little backwards.

19. Mooch says: Mar 2, 2010 11:10 PM

Fug – can I assume you reside outside the Philadelphia metro area?
    We don’t “hate”. We’re just ready to move on.

20. Meldog says: Mar 2, 2010 11:10 PM

LighTsouT:
    That was the funniest post I have ever seen. Steven Jackson is not the best back in the league “period” (.) !!!
    I, along with everyone else who owns a television would rather have: Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson, Thomas Jones, Maurice Jones-Drew, Frank Gore, or DeAngelo Williams. Steven Jackson has been a fantasy bust for the past 2 years. Granted, his line isn’t all that great, but you can’t make a comment like that without expecting most people to disagree.

21. Mooch says: Mar 2, 2010 11:36 PM

Jimmysmith – are you a Viking fan?
    Because Bears fans live in a great city with lots of stuff to do.
    And Detroit fans would never have the audacity to rip another team.
    Or are we a Cowboy/Laker/Yankee fan living in Wisconsin? A self-loathing cheese-head coulda been?
    have fun watching the Vikes on satellite when the move to LA. Maybe you should buy a ticket to a game!

22. .VoxVeritas says: Mar 3, 2010 12:51 AM

“God forbid my million $ franchise QB be asked to run an offense that carries the team.
    God forbid we rely on him to get us a late victory, or win a game he isn’t supposed to win.”
    Sounds like you need a Tony Romo type of guy. As a guy that no team even thought was worth a 7th round pick he shouldn’t be winning any games but he’s 39-20 (.661) as a starter and has quite a few wins over quality opponents under his belt, not to mention come-from-behind wins. McNabb had the best season of his career when TO was there, then wilted after TO was cut. Romo had his best season ever after losing TO’s production.
    Good luck finding a Tony Romo type.

23. Mooch says: Mar 3, 2010 7:10 AM

I drafted him in fantasy last year, when my gut told me Matt Shaub. Big mistake, altough Matt is a china doll.
    Ultimately, I think both are “fantasy guys” – their numbers will always be better than their on-field accomplishments.
    Yet, I’d need to see 4-5 more years of strong production, playoff wins, NFC title appearances, and at least one SB before I put Romo in McNabb’s class. Your love of Romo and my questioning of Donovan aside, he has a lot to accomplish before we start anointing his as an elite QB (which is, IMO, Romo’s biggest problem).

24. Rickah99 says: Mar 3, 2010 8:31 AM

@Vick Veritas,
    “Good luck finding a Tony Romo type.”
    Thanks, but NO thanks! Rom-O-Choke, historically, has not produced in big games(playoffs). Unless my math is wrong he has won exactly ONE playoff game….and that was against your lame Eagles(as you claim) so that really isn’t that much of an impressive win. Talk to me when Rom-O-Choke wins multiple playoff games, preferably, in one year!
    “McNabb had the best season of his career when TO was there. then wilted after TO was cut”
    Nope! Statistically, McNabb has his best year last season…if you average his 13½ game schedule.
    Mr. Vick Veritas, Please stay on your Dallas Cowboy page…Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son!
    Steers & Queers, that’s all they have in Dallas!

25. Chapnasty2 says: Mar 3, 2010 8:35 AM

@ mooch
    I think it is safe to say that we have elevated to common and decent debate and have moved away from nonsense judging by your brilliant last comment. Well played sir

26. Chapnasty2 says: Mar 3, 2010 8:35 AM

Also, I am not sure why peolpe are mentioning the guys race in these comments and affirmative action and the such. Who cares what color he is, he made a mistake, or his copy people did. Who gives a damn about anything else?

27. Mooch says: Mar 3, 2010 9:26 AM

Thinking about this, I’d rank the QB’s as follows (based on the end of last season, not factoring in retirements):
    P. Manning / D. Brees
    T. Brady
    B. Rothlesberger
    K. Warner /P. Rivers
    B. Favre
    A. Rodgers
    D. McNabb / T. Romo / M. Shaub
    Then the youngsters – Flacco and Ryan.
    Then the up and down types with a track record – Eli Manning and Jay Cutler.
    This takes into account potential upside, clutch wins, playoff success, stats, and intangibles.
    Aside from Brees, any disagreement that #1-5 are HOF’ers? Meaning Peyton to Kurt.

28. Chapnasty2 says: Mar 3, 2010 9:49 AM

@ rickah
    I find it odd that people tend to compare Romo’s 4 year career (as a starter) to McNabbs 11 year career. It is a form of flattery I suppose to think that an undrafted free agent from a small school should be expected to accomplish as much, or more than a 1st rounder from one of the largest schools in the country. I mean it is such a great sign of how high of a standard a Cowboy QB is held to or how high their expectations are compared to an Eagle’s QB who has 11 years of letting his braindead, football ignorant and homophobic fans down.
    Your move clown.

29. .VoxVeritas says: Mar 3, 2010 9:54 AM

“Eh, Romo is solid but I think he suffers from many of the same problems as D-Mac. I can’t say he’s the guy to get you there. He has that same goofball mentality as Donovan that makes me question if losing really kills him.”
    You know, I’m not absolutely sure either, but the guy is making progress and he does the things that you say that you’re missing with McNabb.
    “Your love of Romo and my questioning of Donovan aside, he has a lot to accomplish before we start anointing his as an elite QB (which is, IMO, Romo’s biggest problem).”
    I guess it depends on what you consider “elite”.

30. .VoxVeritas says: Mar 3, 2010 10:08 AM

“Thanks, but NO thanks! Rom-O-Choke, historically, has not produced in big games(playoffs).”
    I’d say that he produced pretty well in some big games. In his first playoff game against the Seahawks, his passer rating was just short of 90, had 0 turnovers and the game was lost on a field goal that he probably should not have been holding for after playing an extended “hurry up” drive to put them in FG position in the first place. And you saw what he did to the 0-3gles.
    “Unless my math is wrong he has won exactly ONE playoff game….and that was against your lame Eagles(as you claim)”
    They’re not MY lame 0-3gles. They’re YOUR lame 0-3gles.
    “so that really isn’t that much of an impressive win. Talk to me when Rom-O-Choke wins multiple playoff games, preferably, in one year!”
    OK, talk to me when the next time any of the 0-3gles first round draft pick QBs win a playoff game against anybody.
    “Nope! Statistically, McNabb has his best year last season…”
    Sure. Better to throw 22 TDs instead of 31, and 10 INTs instead of 8, just like a 92.8 passer rating is better than 104.7. In 0-3gle Alternate Reality World.
    “Steers & Queers, that’s all they have in Dallas!”
    And they beat the birdshit out of your lame 0-3gles with monotonous regularity.

31. Mooch says: Mar 3, 2010 10:19 AM

He is progressing in the right direction, but my point is that he has only won one playoff game. So while he’s off ‘the shnide’, he isn’t yet totally proven as a post-season winner.
    And I would think that Cowboys fans / pundits would be more realistic about Romo’s place among NFL QB’s since the early anointing of him as a ‘great QB’ put tons of pressure on him (and I do love when the same people that talked him up subsequently ripped him for being overhyped). Once he was brought back down to earth he seemed more comfortable and succeeded.
    Hard to project a Romo (or a Flacco) based on the limited record. My take is that McNabb got there a lot faster with less help (I have a high opinion of Dallas’ defense and think the team ultimately goes as far as that side of the ball will take them). Of course, we know that DMac also hit the ceiling about 5 seasons ago.
    As for ‘elite’, I posted that list. More is made of McNabb and Romo due to the passion of their repsective fan bases and the vocal ripping from the fans of their rival. But I would take quite a few QB’s over either – they’re very much second-tier.

32. Kevin from Philly says: Mar 3, 2010 10:31 AM

“Good luck finding a Tony Romo type.”
    Vox, isn’t that how you spend most Saturday nights?

33. Chapnasty2 says: Mar 3, 2010 10:55 AM

“Vox, isn’t that how you spend most Saturday nights?”
    Kevin isn’t that what you say in response to Vox everytime he proves you to be an idiot? Come up with some new material.

34. finsbooyah says: Mar 3, 2010 10:57 AM

Meldog – Fantasy production has NOTHING to do with how good or bad a certain player is… Steven Jackson is one of the top 3 backs in the league, no matter how you slice it. Try actually watching a game or two for once.
    Jimmysmith. – Do you really have to put that same comment on every post. It’s really starting to get annoying, and it’s making you look like an even bigger moron than we all already knew you were

35. rebel82 says: Mar 3, 2010 11:05 AM

Can anyone explain me why Cutler is called a franchise qb with all those losing records in his career (pro and college) ?
    I say he’s a bust, and a pu$$y

36. toe-to-toe bird law says: Mar 3, 2010 11:06 AM

Chapnasty2 says:
    March 3, 2010 9:49 AM
    ——————————————–
    I see what you’re saying, but that’s the same rationalization from most Tony Romo apologists. The fact that they’re getting paid the same should mean that the same level of production should be expected from them regardless of their backgrounds. If you had a peer at work who made the same salary as you, would it really matter if he went to Yale and you got your degree from a community college?

37. Mooch says: Mar 3, 2010 11:54 AM

Depending on how you define / view the term “MVP”, Steven Jackson should have won it.

38. Whiterhinocerous says: Mar 3, 2010 3:24 PM

# Kevin from Philly says: March 3, 2010 10:31 AM
    “Good luck finding a Tony Romo type.”
    Vox, isn’t that how you spend most Saturday nights?
    —————
    Hahaha! Well played, sir. Don’t listen to Chapnasty. Vox smacked him down in a few posts over Tony Romo months ago, and since chap has settled in nicely as Vox’s bitch.