Dolphins quarterbacks coach helps Tebow change his motion

large_Tim Tebow - ap.jpgSo as former Florida quarterback Tim Tebow tries to change his throwing motion without, as Tebow puts it, changing his throwing motion, who’s helping him?

One of the keys to the process has been Dolphins quarterbacks coach David Lee.

I’ve learned a lot from Coach Lee,” Tebow tells Jeff Darlington of the Miami Herald.  “He’s a great coach.  We worked a lot on
different drops, on coming out of play actions, adjustments in plays
they had.  It’s a wonderful experience for me.”  [Editor's note:  And a blessing.]

Darlington calls Lee’s interest in helping Tebow unusual, pointing to the fact that the Dolphins aren’t likely to draft him.  (Then again, round two has unofficially become the “quarterback round” in Miami, especially when factoring in the second-round picks traded for Daunte Culpepper and A.J. Feeley.)  Darlington attributes the effort to the fact that the Dolphins’ coaching staff was responsible for Tebow’s team in the Senior Bowl, explaining that the assignment “comes with a certain responsibility to actually coach the players.”

That’s a possibility, but then there’s the reality Lee’s boss and Lee’s boss’s boss are represented by Tebow’s agent, Jimmy Sexton.  That’s right, Sexton handles Tebow and Dolphins coach Tony Sparano and, more importantly, Dolphins football captain Bill Parcells.

So if Sexton can preside over the reclamation of Tebow’s career as an NFL quarterback, the star of Sexton and anyone who helped the process will rise.  If it doesn’t work, then the spin will be that it was destined to fail.

Thus, while the Herald headline characterizes the situation for the Dolphins as one with “nothing to gain,” the reality for Sexton, Sparano, Parcells, and Lee is that they collectively have plenty to gain — and nothing to lose.

Meanwhile, the fact that the 56-year-old Lee has managed to help Tebow begin to change an ugly, looping throwing motion (without of course changing his throwing motion) serves only to highlight the failure of the folks in Gainesville to send Tebow to the next level with something other than a Pop Warner windup.  Lee has spent six years as an NFL assistant coach; the rest of his 28 years as a coach were spent at, you guessed it, the college level.  So if a 22-year college coach was able to immediately spot and begin to fix a major mechanical flaw from the moment he met Tebow, someone at the University of Florida should have done the same way back in 2006.

Permalink 69 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
69 Responses to “Dolphins quarterbacks coach helps Tebow change his motion”
  1. downwithdansnyder says: Mar 2, 2010 8:35 AM

If you are going to continue you rampage against a college coach (that just wins games) regarding coaching Tebow (probably the most decorated and best college players of all time according to many), PLEASE do it at CFT and not here. This is PFT last time I checked.

2. jbraider says: Mar 2, 2010 8:43 AM

“[Editor's note: And a blessing.]”
    I’m just curious – what is it in your life that compels you to insert these snarky comments whenever possible. They make you come across as narcissistic, cynical, and juvenile.
    PFT is a great aggregator of information. It doesn’t need to be a showcase for your evolving sports personality, at least not until it has evolved past poking fun at the slightest verbal miscuses of a nervous kid.

3. DolFan Dan says: Mar 2, 2010 8:45 AM

I think you’re putting too much emphasis on the fact that people share an agent. The agent works for the personality (in this case Parcells et al) not the other way around. So I don’t see how Parcells would get involved in Tebow’s career strictly to help out his agent. Nor do I think that Parcells’ star will rise or fall depending on how Tebow’s career turns out. His legacy has already been established.

4. Dayton Dolfan says: Mar 2, 2010 8:47 AM

5. onesweetworld says: Mar 2, 2010 8:47 AM

Wait, I thought some coach from CFL was helping him? Which is it? All these conflicting reports is making my head hurt.

6. jj jones says: Mar 2, 2010 8:53 AM

I hope the Seahawks pick him so he gets stuck in the Pacific NW, backs up Hasselbeck for 2 years and he disappears.

7. DCPowerGator says: Mar 2, 2010 8:54 AM

some people are winners and some people are losers. losers enjoy tearing down winners (fortunately, the fact they are winners means it doesn’t bother them in the first place).
    tebow’s a proven winner, look at his body of work on and off the field.
    as for florio, well, you make the call.

8. Mean D says: Mar 2, 2010 8:55 AM

Florio, how many different ways are you going to say the same B.S.? You’re as bad a Obamalamadingdong.

9. mnmaverick says: Mar 2, 2010 8:56 AM

Mike, I’m afraid that you’re going to hate the Vikings for a long time coming.
    I think he’s a Viking if he drops low as expected. From Favre to Tebow. You’ll have another ten -twelve years to rip on the Vikes. I think he’d be a great fit. He’s a leader, and winner, and would be a great fit in the WCO while re-united with Percy Harvin. Peterson, Tebow, and Harvin then they could focus on their O-line, D-line, and secondary, if not linebacker.

10. .VoxVeritas says: Mar 2, 2010 8:57 AM

The crusade continues.

11. mnmaverick says: Mar 2, 2010 9:00 AM

Tebow throws it fine, NFL coaches always over-emphasize mechanics which is a joke. Everyone has their own style.
    I’d rather have Tebow than T-Joke or Rosenfels.

12. ReefCup says: Mar 2, 2010 9:08 AM

I think it is pretty apparent that you think that the Florida coaching staff didn’t prepare Tebow for the NFL – since you mention it at every waking opportunity.
    Don’t let the facts get in the way of your opinion.

13. CP21 says: Mar 2, 2010 9:14 AM

hahaha Oh no, more than one person helping Tebow with his throwing mechanics, too much for PFT reader to comprehend…..ahhh it hurts. There is no possible way Trestman and Lee both feel like they can help this kid out and are giving him advice…PFT must be making stories up!
    hahaha suuuure Bud..

14. Caldon says: Mar 2, 2010 9:15 AM

———————-
    I love the sneak shot at Meyer :)

15. gurnblanston says: Mar 2, 2010 9:17 AM

Lord, please bless Coach Lee and Coach Parcells and Coach Sparano and Agent Sexton, for without them I’d be a carpenter in a poor land, uh, wait . . . I’d bag groceries at the, uh, wait . . . Mom, Dad, “what would I do”?

16. Jackson says: Mar 2, 2010 9:19 AM

# Dayton Dolfan says: March 2, 2010 8:47 AM
    _______________
    you do if the kid is a proven winner which in Tebow’s case he is. whether or not Tebow turns out to be anything at the pro-level, his legacy as a winning college QB can’t be denied. I still think he needs to take a step back and look at other positions that he could succeed with at the next level. He’s a GREAT athlete and I think he may be wasting time trying to develop pro-style QB techniques. You either have it or you don’t. I’ve been wrong on QBs before though and I wish him well and hope he succeeds.

17. pramis123 says: Mar 2, 2010 9:19 AM

I really hope Tebow ends up a Miami Dolphin after the draft….

18. Florio-is-a-tool says: Mar 2, 2010 9:20 AM

downwithdansnyder, Archie Griffin is the only player to win the Heisman trophy twice. Your boy Tebow is having his 10 minutes will likely disappear just as Eric Crouch (another “athletic” QB), Chris Weinke and others.
    Learn your history before proclaiming the newest fad to be “the greatest of all-time.”

19. florioshairpiece says: Mar 2, 2010 9:21 AM

“…the reality for Sexton, Sparano, Parcells, and Lee is that they collectively have plenty to gain — and nothing to lose.”
    So the other day you were lambasting Childress for possibly asking Coughlin to help fix his running back’s fumbling woes, which, by definition, is coaching another team’s player. Today you say that by coaching a soon-to-be NFL player that will not play for your team you have nothing to lose. Which, again, is coaching another team’s player.
    Left hand gives, right hand takes.

20. Crowder911 says: Mar 2, 2010 9:25 AM

NFL Network and all the other media members can hype him up as much they want… he is what he is a FB playing QB with the ego of Superman, IQ of George Bush and the talent of Ryan Leaf (NFL Leaf) by the way his delivery is as fast as a dead turtle.
    Tebow aka my signature is worth 160.- ‘s girlfriend must have sat on Mr. Murdocs lap – otherwise i have no idea why they pay so much attention to him.
    If i would be a rookie prospect and that guy gets that much love for nothing i would have delivered an TO/Emmit Smith hit as he was about to start his 40 time
    i bet tons of scouts would have loved it as everybody is sick about that Tebow crap

21. drubatuba says: Mar 2, 2010 9:30 AM

The only way I want Tim Tebow to end up on the Dolphins Roster is if he goes undrafted. I dont want to see another early round draft pick spent on another QB. Or even a late on for that matter. We have 4 QBs as of right now. 3 of them solid and 1 Pat White…

22. Restore The Roar says: Mar 2, 2010 9:33 AM

OK, your campaign against Tebow has officially made me lose interest in this site.
    While I realize that you do not care about the loss of one reader, I felt it important enough to let you know that I am removing your site from my start up tabs and my bookmarks.
    I’ll get my information somewhere else from now on.

23. gosox2673 says: Mar 2, 2010 9:52 AM

pramis123 says: March 2, 2010 9:19 AM
    I really hope Tebow ends up a Miami Dolphin after the draft….
    ———————————————————————
    As a Patriot’s fan, so do I.

24. Sid Bream's Moustache says: Mar 2, 2010 10:11 AM

The amount of loathing for Meyer & Tebow that seeps out of these posts is generally reserved for people who have personally wronged you. Chill out, Florio.
    This obvious bias is really hurting what could otherwise be considered a respectable site.

25. .VoxVeritas says: Mar 2, 2010 10:13 AM

“he is what he is a FB playing QB with the ego of Superman”
    I wasn’t aware that Superman was particularly egotistical. I mean come on, Superman’s the supreme being in the entire universe but he chooses to do good and live the vast majority of his life as mild-mannered dork Clark Kent.
    “IQ of George Bush”
    Estimated to be about 125 based on his SAT scores. That puts him in the 95th percentile. Meaning one in 20 random people is smarter than George W. Bush. You’re not one of those people. I am, though.
    “and the talent of Ryan Leaf (NFL Leaf)”
    Leaf had loads of talent. His problem was that he never cared enough to maximize his potential.

26. tombrookshire says: Mar 2, 2010 10:16 AM

Why would Myer do anything that might hurt the kid’s psyche or the team’s chances of winning a championship? Tebow should be able to adapt to the pro game if he is a good quarterback, if not, he’ll be happy with selling insurance or owning a beer store (well, maybe not a beer store). Tebow had a storied college career but is not owed an NFL career. It’s no disgrace or a poor reflection on Urban Myer that he doesn’t have the equipment to be a pro quarterback. He got the job done in Gainesville for four years. Look at Ryan Leaf. He was no pro QB and trying to make him has literally ruined his life. Too high a price to pay if you ask me. Somewhere along the line you have to listen to your heart and not to the agents, media, coaches and even family members who are looking to hitch their wagons to the Tebow gravy train. Tebow was blessed to have the career he did. Now, let’s just see what he can do.

27. Big M says: Mar 2, 2010 10:20 AM

Florio, these rants constantly remind me that you know nothing about coaching this game. For one, Meyer’s offense is option-based. The option run-game itself entails a lot of mechanics that aren’t considered my most observers, but if the QB does not run the option with precision, it doesn’t work. That usually leaves very little time to work on throwing mechanics, given that the NCAA has limits on the amount of time a coach can spend with a player. There’s no way that Meyer can spend the required time to both option and passing mechanics, and then have time to run the option and passing plays in the gameplan for the week and/or season with the entire offense, and then with the offense and defense.
    I’d love to see you design the practice schedule that Meyer should be using and how he should correct Tebow’s mechanics with the time he has available to do so.
    Like I said earlier, Florida’s offense is option-based, so if Meyer has to choose between passing mechanics or option mechanics, it only makes sense to go with the latter. If the option isn’t precise, the rest of the offense doesn’t work.

28. cannoli says: Mar 2, 2010 10:20 AM

Tebow will get drafted and will sit for a few years. At that point he’ll either become a decent QB, continue to back up, or be gone.
    Meyer has NO responsibility to get these kids ready for the NFL. No college coach does. If that is the case, does he also have to prepare the kid 7th on the tailback depth chart for a pro career as well? Give it up.

29. olskool711 says: Mar 2, 2010 10:22 AM

Football can really learn something from this combine/senior bowl drama with Tim Tebow.
    If young players aren’t taught the proper technique and mechnanics when they are younger, if youth coaches don’t get out and establish expectations to do things the right way when kids are young, then players with a ton of potential will continue to be tossed to the wayside.
    Coaches, tell young quarterbacks that unless they develop good mechanics, and practice them repeatedly, then there is only so far you can go. Period. Period, end of story. Fini.

30. 3 yards and a cloud says: Mar 2, 2010 10:31 AM

Tebow’s throwing motion is not “fine” for the NFL. If he winds up like he did in college at the next level he’s going to get his arm ripped off by a 300lb linemen.
    Also, I know Florio goes a little over the top with his rips of Meyer, but I think they are wellfounded comments. This guy is a football guru that can win consistently in college but didn’t bother to help one of the leading reasons he was winning get ready for the next level? Kind of a sham job isn’t it?

31. shaunypoo says: Mar 2, 2010 10:31 AM

Sorry, anyone who wants to draft Tebow simply because of his legacy as a college QB is a complete maroon. Being a winner at one level does not entitle you to be a winner at another level. He may be athletic, but a 4.7 isn’t going to get you around the corner against any team in the NFL.
    And stop taking pot shots at Meyer. I am no Gator fan, but his job wasn’t to make Tebow an NFL QB, his job was to win games with the talent he has. Because his players have so much talent, he is able to focus on schemes and execution. No need to fix what isn’t broke.

32. clinton says: Mar 2, 2010 10:35 AM

Hey Florio,
    Please, I love this site more then any other site on the internet. This is just getting immature. We get it. You don’t like Tebow. That’s fine. You should just write a post tonight and all you got to say is I don’t like Tebow as a prospect for the 2010 NFL draft. I don’t think he will be a good NFL QB. I Also don’t like that fact that he is a good kid and grateful for his opportunities. I think he should be ungrateful for them. That’s sums up almost every article you have written about Tebow. Why don’t you just say that and stop talking about the same nonesense over and over. Please for the sake of everyone who loves reading about football from this site. There are hundreds of other players coming into the draft, pick another person to rag on.

33. Big Stretch says: Mar 2, 2010 11:05 AM

Timmy TeBlow is this offseason’s Lord Favre for PFT.
    story after story saying the same damn thing. just cause you got in bed with NBC doesn’t mean you are required to post something every 10 minutes. The content on this site has become so watered down it’s getting ridiculous.

34. 3 yards and a cloud says: Mar 2, 2010 11:07 AM

@Shaunypoo
    Meyer’s job is to develop players. That’s how he sells Florida during recruitment. You think anyone going to play college ball is thinking “man, I’m ready to play college but I don’t want to do that pro thing”?
    Of course not, they are there to play football, and grow for the next level. Obviously not every college goes on but college coaches are there, in part, to make these kids fundamentally sound players and Tebow’s motion just isn’t.
    And I get it that this scheme is option based, nonetheless, you ask the kid to air it out and when he did, he should have been doing it with the right motion

35. -RoNiN- says: Mar 2, 2010 11:11 AM

Ok.. two scenarios that I think would be pretty funny… 1.) Tim Tebow winds up a Miami Dolphin and beats out Florio’s Pat White for a roster spot in the future.. or 2.) Tim Tebow winds up a Minnesota Viking, Florio’s favorite team, and Florio is FORCED to cheer for the kid!! Sorry Florio.. couldn’t resist!! ;o)

36. Dolphinatic says: Mar 2, 2010 11:14 AM

2 words…. Steve Young
    Crowder911- you wouldn’t know how to pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were written on the heel…. Ryan Leaf…. GWB( may as well have said Hitler)…. you sir are a Moron.

37. .VoxVeritas says: Mar 2, 2010 11:16 AM

“Danny Awful was a winning college quarterback. So was Joey Harrington. Winning in College doesn’t translate into winning in the pro’s.”
    It translates a lot better than losing does.

38. Chickenfoot says: Mar 2, 2010 11:19 AM

VoxVeritas says:
    March 2, 2010 10:13 AM
    “he is what he is a FB playing QB with the ego of Superman”
    “IQ of George Bush”
    “and the talent of Ryan Leaf (NFL Leaf)”
    =============================
    Vox, your IQ is above 125?
    That’s out of a thousand, correct?
    Nothing to be proud of!

39. clinton says: Mar 2, 2010 11:22 AM

Florio-is-a-tool,
    Yea for real! lol He won’t tho cuz Clausen isn’t humble, grateful or stands up for what he believes in.

40. edgy1957 says: Mar 2, 2010 11:22 AM

Collectively? The only person who seems to benefit is Sexton because the others guys certainly don’t need Tebow for anything. Seriously, Parcells, just how does this impact what should already by an entry into the HOF? Sparano? Will this get him his dream job in Dallas or Florida or Whatsamatta U? Lee? Will he go from QB coach to head coach at 56? BTW, Tony Romo swears by Lee because – wait for it – he helped change the delivery that he had coming out of college. I’m not a fan of Florida or Miami but I don’t see how continuing to rag on Tebow serves any purpose. I understand that he can rub some people the wrong way but while I don’t agree with some of his philosophy, it’s a free country and he could be a lot worse.

41. Drat says: Mar 2, 2010 11:23 AM

Florio makes an “ugly, looping” argument reminiscent of Tebow’s throw.
    Lawyers can do this. They can make an argument for anything that pleases them, no matter how illogical. Urban Meyer has no responsibility to train Tebow for the pros — he’s supposed to train him to be a great college QB and win a few games. I’d say he was successful.
    The argument about all to gain, nothing to lose, is BS. If Florio came in with a different mindset, he’d be giving us the strident whining that the Miami coaches have nothing to win and all to lose because Tebow might get drafted by Buffalo and kick their butts next season. Maybe Lee is just a nice guy who likes to coach and likes Tebow — you know, a human being type of thing (as opposed to a lawyer thing).
    The biggest flaw is that this short term coaching by this guy Lee somehow will make or break Tebow’s career. How juvenile.
    The story should be about what Tebow is trying to do here: he’s saying “Look, NFL, I’m coachable.”

42. CYGNUS X-1 says: Mar 2, 2010 11:24 AM

how can you say on the one hand I don’t hate tim tebow and chrstianity and then continue to hate on any and everything the kid does? he is working on the things he needs to work on to try and make it and you slam him. he by all apperances lives the life he preaches but you mock him and do your best to find fault on whatever he does. sure sounds like you hate the kid to me. deny it being personal all you want but as long as you keep attacking the kid for no reason then it has to be.why is it so hard to believe this kid is the real deal? why must you work so hard to bring him down?if he is a phony it will turn up eventualy on it’s own, just as your campaign to prove peyton was phony did. oh wait all you did was point out the guy once mooned somebody in college. here is an idea, how about sticking to football news and rumors which is why most of come here to begin with?

43. Drat says: Mar 2, 2010 11:30 AM

Florio doesn’t even know the names of the shoulder bones and muscles, much less anything about throwing mechanics.
    Tebow’s “looping” motion will be irrelevant to his success in the NFL. That will depend on his ability to drop fast, read downfield, think fast, release fast, and make the right decision 99% of the time. Martz, who knows a thing or two about coaching QBs, says “proper mechanics” per se are over-rated. As for Tebow’s unsettling mental reliance on religious stuff — well, didn’t hurt Warner.

44. Obeah says: Mar 2, 2010 11:32 AM

Tebow is so blessed, blessed, why does he need a coach to improve his throw, let Jesus do it.

45. el_dude00 says: Mar 2, 2010 11:32 AM

“So if a 22-year college coach was able to immediately spot and begin to fix a major mechanical flaw from the moment he met Tebow, someone at the University of Florida should have done the same way back in 2006.” -MF
    Sure. And a 22 year old decorated college athelete has no personal responsibility to improve his own draft stock. It’s all up to somebody else to get him ready. It’s somebody else’s fault.
    Let that be a lesson by Mike Florio to all you young college grads. If you can’t land the job you want, it’s not your fault. Blame your prof. Blame your school.
    There is nothing more you could’ve done. It’s not your fault, you didn’t ask to be born right?

46. shaunypoo says: Mar 2, 2010 11:34 AM

@ 3 yards and a cloud
    Meyers job is to win games. Period. Winning is how he sells Florida during recruiting. Every kid goes there thinking they are going pro someday, but his job isn’t to make them pro ready. 2 National Titles and a Heisman with that crappy throwing motion, that is pretty good, and I say Meyer did everything he is supposed to do. If Tebow is that smart of a player, maybe he should have done something about his throwing motion.
    Making a kid a good person or fundamentally sound doesn’t help a coach keep his job, winning does. Of course I would hope that a coach cares enough to help a player in these ways, and I am not saying that Urban doesn’t, but it is not his main focus.
    Sorry, I think with the success that Florida has had, you can put very little blame for the professional successes or failures for Tebow on Meyer. Prepare yourself, it is your future. Doesn’t anyone take personal responsibility these days?

47. tombrookshire says: Mar 2, 2010 11:38 AM

Let’s lower the tone, and the expectations on this one, folks. Were Tebow, I would drop out of site until draft day, and then consider myself lucky if I am not taken in the first round. Tebow is way overexposed. And with all the coaching he is getting, combined with media speculation and draft prognostications, expectations are sky high for this kid. If he fails, these same guys will crucify him just to save their own faces. Problem is, most of these bums never played football and have no idea what it takes to do what Tebow has done in college. They are merely doing what we do in these comments, speculate, offer opinions, make wild-ass guesses.

48. toe-to-toe bird law says: Mar 2, 2010 11:49 AM

jbraider says:
    March 2, 2010 8:43 AM
    poking fun at the slightest verbal miscuses of a nervous kid.
    ———————————————–
    Second, if everyone can make fun of Andre Smith running without his shirt at last year’s combine, any mundane repetition of children’s words that are regurgitated from Tebow are fair game. If you go to the combine, treat it like a professional job interview for the NFL and you make yourself look like an idiot, you deserve all the criticism in the world. It’s not like these guys didn’t have time to prepare for everything.

49. mnmaverick says: Mar 2, 2010 11:51 AM

Part of the reason why Tebow is getting so much attention is that this group of QBs is below average in the eyes of the scouts and media, but of all of them, Tebow has achieved the most success. He has the leadership skills and intangibles that you can’t teach. He has the mental toughness, intelligence, and poise under pressure that you look for.

50. el_dude00 says: Mar 2, 2010 12:08 PM

“…I would drop out of site until draft day, and then consider myself lucky if I am not taken in the first round. Tebow is way overexposed.” -tombrookshire
    But this would not make you Tebow. Tebow has never been held at gun point to get in front of a camera. Name the last great college athelete to cut a spot for the Super Bowl and then turn into a recluse until the draft.
    The dude is getting everything he’s been asking for. In fact, you could argue that pusing the story about his improved work and keeping his name bouyant going into the draft is helping close the gap between he and other lesser known, though more mechancially sound QBs in the draft.
    Your prescription of behavior (as much as I agreee) would never work for Tebow, because I’m not sure he (or his handlers) would allow it.

51. DNich says: Mar 2, 2010 12:33 PM

It’ll be a “blessing”, Florio, when you decide to cut a barely 20-year old kid who sincerely believes, and it entitled to think so and state it so, he is “blessed” a “break”. Your obsession with challenging and ridiculing Tebow for the use of a word that is not NORMALLY considered objectionable borders on a fascistic attempt at intimidation and cesnsorship!

52. .VoxVeritas says: Mar 2, 2010 12:35 PM

“We have 4 QBs as of right now. 3 of them solid and 1 Pat White…”
    But… haven’t you heard? Pat White is The Next Best Thing. Don’t you know that we should all be rooting for him because he was the only guy that shook the hands of a representative group of military veterans at a Veteran’s Day ceremony before a game? Don’t you know that he made a major contribution last year? Don’t you know that he’s the best player in WVU history?!? Don’t you know that it’s waaay too early to look at Pat White and assume that he’ll struggle at the NFL level?!? Don’t you know that Pat White has the same “Alabama don’t-tell-me-there’s-something-I-can’t-do attitude” as Bo Jackson and will silence all of his doubters by continuing to “keep his mouth shut and his head down and before you know it he’ll be getting it done”?!?!?!? Don’t you know that the Miami braintrust kept their plans for Pat White (who, incidentally, I believe we should all refer to as “MOAB” out of respect for the eventual impact he will have for the Dolphins, just you wait and see) under wraps so that they’d have a competitive advantage over teams that they play?!?!? Don’t you know that Pat White was drafted to play baseball, too?!? FOUR TIMES?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    But that Tebow guy? He sucks. Looked like a windmill in a gentle breeze when he won the Heisman and all those other awards and all those games and stuff. Plus he talks about God too much. Nobody likes to hear that. He’s barely worth a draft pick at all, let alone a second round pick like was used to draft the Great Pat White.
    P.S. This entire post was sarcasm. Except the “MOAB” part. No, it doesn’t mean “Mother Of All Bombs”, as in the weapon that we used to terrorize terrorists in Iraq. It means “Mike’s Objectivity is All Busted”

53. edgy1957 says: Mar 2, 2010 1:34 PM

# mnmaverick says:
    ************************
    The irony of your statement is that LAST year’s class was supposed to be so much weaker than this year’s so Mark Sanchez left USC.

54. DCPowerGator says: Mar 2, 2010 1:36 PM

here’s somebody whose opinion might be a little more informed than the self-proclaimed grand poobah:
    However, NFL Network analyst Charles Davis said before Tebow’s TV appearance that he knows “for a fact” Meyer tried to make changes.
    “They tried to work on that two years ago when Dan Mullen was the quarterbacks coach,” Davis said. “They had Tim in there … and tried to work it, work it, and then everything reverted back when you got to game speed.
    “Florida’s trying to win football games,” Davis added. “Do we mess him up now or do we continue to go on? That becomes the question. You continue to go on because for Urban Meyer and his staff, the bottom line is winning the football game.”
    did you see this posted anywhere on PFT? no because it does not support the overt anti-tim tebow and anti-urban meyer position of the mgmt. it will be great to see meyer win w/o tebow and tebow succeed in the NFL regardless of the position. but don’t hold your breath looking for those stories here.

55. Chickenfoot says: Mar 2, 2010 1:41 PM

Vox and objectivity in the same post.
    Talk about your oxymorons.
    Tim Tebow is the next Matt Jones- minus the cocaine.
    He’s high on the lord though!

56. .VoxVeritas says: Mar 2, 2010 1:48 PM

“First of all, Tebow is a 22 year old man. He has been under the white hot spotlight of the national media for 3 years. He doesn’t need some apologetic computer jockey to come to his defense.”
    But you apparently think that Mike Florio, who is a late-30′s or early-40′s former lawyer and current national sports pundit for media powerhouse NBC and various national publications, needs some unstable, slack-jawed, drooling lowbrow fry cook to come to his defense?

57. .VoxVeritas says: Mar 2, 2010 2:09 PM

“Isn’t it ironic you blowhard that you rip Florio for the same thing you lack when it comes to your beloved Cowboys?”
    Not particularly. Nobody listens to me anyway.
    I’m not on TV, don’t have my own column much less my own NBC-powered website. However, if I did have any of the above, I’d be objective because it would be the best way to secure my income for the future. Really, you think that Florio’s going to be a blogger for the rest of his life? At some point it will be time to move on and he’s burning bridges right and left. He used to get a lot more inside info, now he gets all pissy when he’s told one thing and a completely other thing happens. The bread and butter of PFT are rumors that Florio gets from obviously dwindling sources. At least half of the stuff posted these days is stuff that he dreams up in his head to generate more and more clicks and it’s become more of an editorial and opinion blog than anything else.
    P.S. Chickenfoot is the next HSAS.

58. Mangy66 says: Mar 2, 2010 2:37 PM

Hey Florio (a.k.a. The Perez Hilton of Football),
    You forgot to mention that the Redskins signed Albert “The Baconator” Haynesworth to a contract shortly after midnight on the first day of free agency.
    You’re slipping man.
    Regards,
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Redskins Fan

59. wock says: Mar 2, 2010 2:46 PM

# Dayton Dolfan says: March 2, 2010 8:47 AM – it seems to me that if you have to teach the guy how to throw the ball, you probably shouldn’t draft him. #
    Seems to me that if you see a guy coming out of a major college program after a 4 year career and he still needs to be taught how to throw the ball…. that any QB with aspirations of playing in the NFL should avoid said program like the plague – because he won’t receive the coaching he needs to succeed at the NFL level.
    Meyer may just “win games”… but he also just screwed his recruitment of top level QB’s right in the keyster – and don’t think Nick Saban and his other competitors in the SEC won’t break it off in there.

60. Voice of Football says: Mar 2, 2010 3:04 PM

Couldn’t He have just sprinkled some “blessed” Holy Jeebus water on his “blessed” arm to change his “blessed” throwing motion?

61. 3 yards and a cloud says: Mar 2, 2010 4:22 PM

@shaunypoo
    I agree its ultimately on the athlete, BUT if the athlete doesn’t know the proper motion, coaches are there to make the correction. Meyer does not solely sell Florida on winning college games. Part of recruiting is to tell the kid that you can make him ready for the next level. Your school is going to be the best choice because you give him the best chance to move on.
    Urban Meyer’s top priority is winning at Florida, however, its self serving to have your former players going to the NFL and tearing things up. Its a great sell to be able to say “Hey, Percy Harvin is in the NFL, Tim Tebow is in the NFL, Carlos Dunlap is in the NFL, etc…”
    At the end of the day, you practice 5 days a week and watch this kid for years and you see how his throwing motion takes too much time and no one says “hey, lets work on that”. Not to mention you hire a “Quarterbacks Coach” to coach that position specifically on every college team. What’s his job if not to make sure Tebow is doing it the best way he can?

62. toe-to-toe bird law says: Mar 2, 2010 5:03 PM

“Really, you think that Florio’s going to be a blogger for the rest of his life?”
    He will be as long as you spend most of your waking moments reading and commenting on his articles as if they were the only souce of your nourishment, like a baby calf suckling on its mother’s tit. Bottom line: Get Florio’s website boob out of your mouth if you don’t like it.

63. Deb says: Mar 2, 2010 6:46 PM

Tebow was home-schooled and played in home-school leagues. He didn’t have experienced junior-high or high-school coaches to teach him proper mechanics. By the time he got to Meyer, his throwing motion was set. I don’t know that Meyer could have changed it.
    It’s one thing to change the motion in a drill. But in a game, under pressure, with the infinitely faster NFL pass rushes coming at him, will he fall into the muscle memory that’s been with him since he was 8? And if he falls back on the old motion, with the extra loop, the pass rush will be on him before he can release the ball. It’s tough enough to make reads and release without having to make reads and THINK through the steps of the passing motion at the same time.
    Tebow has every intangible to make a great QB. But this is not a small problem. His best chance is to go to a team with a star QB that he can back up for a couple of years while he works on this issue.

64. JBLOCKS says: Mar 2, 2010 7:07 PM

Tebow is one of the most athletic players i;ve ever seen at his size. He’s smart and has a will and desire to reach goals. I would take a chance on this guy way before any other chance. The draft is about 2-3 good picks (If your lucky)and the rest are chances. Tebow in Miami is perfect. He can run the wildcat better than anyone but unlike ronnie brown he has a QB vision not tunnel vission and if the dolphins are gonna keep running this package they need to re-adjust it a bit. If and when Tebow figures out how to throw NFL like he will be dangerous. Imagine a smart, team leader mike vick. WOW, so much possibilities. NO CEILINGS

65. shaunypoo says: Mar 3, 2010 6:55 AM

@ 3 yards and a cloud
    I agree that saying some of the kids you have coached that are now in the NFL can be a boon to recruiting, and I am sure they use that line whenever they get the chance. My point is that if they are winning games (and a Heisman) with what he can do, why change it. Obviously he has some ability to throw the ball, even if his delivery is a little slow and funky. And while I don’t believe it is the main focus of Meyers job to prepare players for the NFL, by the list of coaches’ names that I have seen associated with trying to improve his motion, I think Meyer has done what he can without comprimising his ability to win. The fact that his motion is still crap tells me either Tebow doesn’t want to change, or can’t change. Either way, I am sure that most scouts see it as well. And is it the best way he can, or the best he can with what he has?
    Also, I appreciate the tone and thoughtfulness of your arguments. It is a pleasure to disagree with someone as agreeable as yourself. Obviously you are not a Steelers fan. :)

66. Deb says: Mar 3, 2010 1:33 PM

@shaunypoo …
    Steelers fans can disagree without being disagreeable … when we’re talking with knowledgeable adults who can make points without taking cheap shots.

67. shaunypoo says: Mar 4, 2010 6:47 AM

I know Deb, but you are one of the few. Not only Steeler fans, but posters on this website as a whole.

68. texasPHINSfan says: Mar 4, 2010 12:00 PM

“cannoli says:
    March 2, 2010 10:20 AM
    Seriously – what did Tebow or Meyer do to you that you shred them at every opportunity. You lose credibility with every post. Mocking the kids wind up, his faith, the Coach’s supposed job to get him ready for the NFL, or the time he needs off, get over it already. ”
    Agreed. This crusade that florio has against Tebow & Meyer is really getting old fast. I’d rather read about Favre at this point.
    Can PFT attack players & coaches who are actually bad people, and not ones you just personally don’t like?

69. B Atkins says: Mar 6, 2010 12:31 AM

Jeez! Just what does a former lawyer know about football? Florio wouldn’t know proper mechanics if I hit him in the head with a wrench.
    To heck with mechanics, can you get the job done? Yes. 4 NCAA records, check. 14 SEC records, check. 48 school records, check.
    I could care less if Tebow threw the ball underhanded… I witnessed the dangdest(?) 4 years of a performance that I’ve seen in 40 yrs of football.