Employee who claimed Snyder bought alligator desks gets fired

Well, the case of the $600,000 alligator desks finally has been resolved.

And the responsible party has been, as Bily Devaney would put it, poopcanned.  (I prefer it without a hyphen, Rosenthal.)

The first line to the updated article in the New York Post reads thusly, “Lie to Page Six and lose your job.”  The item then explains that Claire Gozzo is gone-zo from Giorgio’s Palm Beach furniture store after claiming that Redskins owner Daniel Snyder had purchased two alligator desks and matching chairs at a grand total of $600,000.

The strangest aspect of this whole story is how in the world, if it was all indeed fabricated, Claire Gozzo selected Dan Snyder as the phantom buyer of the desks.

And for those of you who wonder why this story is even relevant, we first learned of it because the Redskins issued a release on the matter.  A release explaining that owner Daniel Snyder did not spend $600,000 on desks and chairs covered in the flesh of dead reptiles.  A release in which Snyder declares that he doesn’t even own alligator shoes.

That said, we can understand his sensitivity.  Not only is the NFL collectively trying to cry poormouth without crying poormouth vis-a-vis the players union, but Snyder also is planning to negotiate in roughly 50 hours free-agent deals with the likes of Julius Peppers and Darren Sproles.  It’s hard to nickel-and-dime in that context if in the same week word broke of a $600,000 expenditure on something so inherently unnecessary.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
42 Responses to “Employee who claimed Snyder bought alligator desks gets fired”
  1. PFTiswhatitis says: Mar 2, 2010 6:36 PM

Who cares?

2. tombrookshire says: Mar 2, 2010 6:39 PM

Claire had the poor taste to disclose the transaction with a very powerful client to the media to embarrass him. She is a dumbass and deserved to be fired. Not that Snyder isn’t a dumbass for buying such gaudy stuff in the first place. Start the PETA picketing! I wonder if there will be a 15% restocking fee.

3. realitypolice says: Mar 2, 2010 6:43 PM

I don’t have any idea what this article is about, and I don’t care. I am writing to plead with you to include some variation of poopcan in as many post as you can fit it in.
    Be creative- poopcan works as a noun, a verb, a nickname- even, if really get the creative juices flowing, as an adjective:
    “McCoy’s low rep total at 225 was more than a little poopcan-ish”.
    I haven’t been this excited about the possibilities of a single (kind of) word since “Pouncey”. God help me if Maurkice Pouncey (or his brother Michael- twice as Pouncey!) ever gets poopcanned. My head might explode.

4. Warpath says: Mar 2, 2010 6:49 PM

Seems like business as usual. And going after overrated free agents? I thought Vinny was gone…
    sigh….I guess the need for O line will have to wait another year…..

5. wildstile says: Mar 2, 2010 6:50 PM

Damn, even with the combine going on we get stories like this. Great reporting!

6. Midway Monster says: Mar 2, 2010 6:54 PM

Damn, and I thought the economy had recovered…

7. Manbearpig says: Mar 2, 2010 6:54 PM

Who cares?
    Says the tard who was one of the first ones to read it.

8. Paulitik says: Mar 2, 2010 6:55 PM

$600K for a few dead Alligators is still a better and more productive deal than what Snyder paid for Deangelo Hall

9. Ravens Macg says: Mar 2, 2010 6:55 PM

It was really at a kiddy furniture store for the deadskin midget owner.

10. Stinson says: Mar 2, 2010 6:57 PM

Yep. It’s the offseason.

11. VonClausewitz says: Mar 2, 2010 6:57 PM

It sounds like Snyder made a suggestion while carrying a big stick. Complete speculation, natch.

12. Whiskeytangofoxtrot says: Mar 2, 2010 6:59 PM

It’s easy to see why she’d pick Snyder as the target of this weird hoax: he’s the only JAMF in the country who would spend $600k on a pair of desks. Even Barry O himself, the all-time spending champ, wouldn’t do this. But Snyder? Sure.

13. CanadianVikingFan says: Mar 2, 2010 7:04 PM

What?

14. DeVoodoo says: Mar 2, 2010 7:09 PM

If Snyder wants a desk made out of really tough, leathery material, he should just turn Shanahan into a desk.

15. Xpensive Wino says: Mar 2, 2010 7:13 PM

Perhaps the PETA picketers and the Native American Indian picketers can car pool. They can also save some paper by writing their respective messages on opposite sides of a sign.
    Just trying to help…..

16. crackbubba says: Mar 2, 2010 7:25 PM

And when it comes out that Snyder did indeed buy the desks , the Players Association will use it as leverage. Why would a store owner and a reporter collaborate on something like this? Snyder is covering his ass, and it will probably cost him a lawsuit for a reporter being fired because he claimed it wasn’t true.

17. Occam says: Mar 2, 2010 7:26 PM

I fail to see how an owner spending $600,000 on a desk would be more egregious than the millions and millions that the Raiders spent on JaMarcus Russel.

18. purpleguy says: Mar 2, 2010 7:30 PM

Yeah, the “Redskins” are worried about the public’s ethical perception of the team.

19. God's Own Silver and Blue says: Mar 2, 2010 7:30 PM

20. Citizen Strange says: Mar 2, 2010 7:31 PM

I told you fools before, I stay with the flare
    I keep a Benz, some rims, and some Brooks Brothers wear
    I holla at a hoe and order desks by the pair
    She sit on Ikea, me I sit on gator chairs
    I don’t know what you heard about me
    But a bitch can’t get a dollar out of me
    No Cadillac, no perms, you can’t see
    That I’m a poopcanning S-N-Y-D(-E-R)

21. alewatcher says: Mar 2, 2010 7:35 PM

# Paulitik says: March 2, 2010 6:55 PM
    —————
    OK, now that was funny.

22. wwwmattcom says: Mar 2, 2010 7:41 PM

Snyder doesn’t need skin desks to be a bottom feeding owner, his draft picks, trades, and free agency have a handle on that.

23. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Mar 2, 2010 7:42 PM

any chance this guy would make that up because he is a Giants fan

24. realitypolice says: Mar 2, 2010 7:45 PM

Citizen Strange says:
    March 2, 2010 7:31 PM
    I told you fools before, I stay with the flare
    I keep a Benz, some rims, and some Brooks Brothers wear
    I holla at a hoe and order desks by the pair
    She sit on Ikea, me I sit on gator chairs
    I don’t know what you heard about me
    But a bitch can’t get a dollar out of me
    No Cadillac, no perms, you can’t see
    That I’m a poopcanning S-N-Y-D(-E-R)
    =======================
    I was loving that post even before you worked poopcan in there. That just put it over the top.

25. .VoxVeritas says: Mar 2, 2010 7:59 PM

Kinda reminds me of that time that the 0-3gles acquired Stacy Andrews and Jason Peters in the same off-season, only the desks are a little harder to run around.

26. This is not news says: Mar 2, 2010 8:00 PM

This was a clear case of tampering.

27. Zoology says: Mar 2, 2010 8:22 PM

God’s Own Silver and Blue

28. Jimmysmith. says: Mar 2, 2010 8:44 PM

A Packer fan is one who is easily spoted.They are very slow in their thinking and response,they studder and drool.They are in the highest percentage in high school drop outs.They tend to inbreed and drink warm cheap beer.
    They have become brain washed to wearing cheese on thier heads for all of us to laugh at them yet they think it’s cool.They live in the past(usally in the 50′s and 60′s)because they have nothing to look forward to in the present.They have trouble identifying thier (ahem) “women” from farm animals.They tend to all have huge guts, both males and females.In short they are the lowest forms of humanity in all the earth.

29. .VoxVeritas says: Mar 2, 2010 8:58 PM

Citizen Strange, freestylin’.
    “E” to the “S” to the “P” to the “N”,
    Is all I watch ’cause I’m the man.
    If my team loses I’ll be mean all night
    If you tell me to relax we’ll get in a fight.
    Watching sports with girls is a pain,
    They don’t know the rules, there’s no time to explain.
    Single, Double, Triple, Home run.
    For the celebration I’ll shoot my gun.
    I Like my friend he’s a real guys guy,
    He’s not a loud mouth like the lowbrow 0-3gle fans that post on PFT.
    We like sports and we don’t care who knows
    From Wimbledon to the Astrodome
    Now when I say “Philly”, you say “SUCKS”
    “Philly!”
    “SUCKS!”
    “Philly!”
    “SUCKS!”
    When I say “Eagles”, you say “SUCK”
    “Eagles!”
    “SUCK!”
    “Eagles!”
    “SUCK!”
    I drink whiskey cause I like the taste
    You think its bitter but I think its great
    I also drink tequila and I smoke cigars
    Don’t believe me? Smell my cars
    We’re real men, and we like sports
    If you say we’re not then we’ll see you in court
    “But we been winning for the last ten years!”
    Shut the F up, you sound like queers!
    We steal the ball and we’re off to the races
    Then scare your sucker team with our mad dog faces like:
    What what what what what WHAT
    What what what what what WHAT

30. BBB82 says: Mar 2, 2010 9:23 PM

Wait… so does this mean they don’t make desks out of alligators?

31. boysroll says: Mar 2, 2010 9:30 PM

anything related to synder is negative. I have not seen one positive story about this moron. He has owned this team 12 years and has bought anything and everything and won absolutely nothing.
    Shanny is going to fail big time too just as gibbs did. Like John Riggins said…bad things happen to evil peoply and there is a bad omen with this dork owner running this team.
    If I am a 4 skin fan I revolt, boycott that pathetic stadium and hit this weasel loser owner where it counts in his purse….thats right..this loser carries a purse.
    I hope he goes on an African safari and falls into the river and an alligator eats him to close this worthless story out once and for all.
    LMFAO.

32. DeeDubb says: Mar 2, 2010 9:43 PM

Great story Florio! I’m a little shocked you showed some restraint when it came to a Redskins story. How you didn’t work the “tampering” angle is beyond me.

33. .VoxVeritas says: Mar 2, 2010 10:17 PM

“What a croc. Who would even want a desk that’s 15 feet long but only 2 feet wide?”
    A midget with short arms on a gator chair with casters made of bald eagle beaks?

34. Clevelander says: Mar 2, 2010 10:32 PM

Maybe it’s a “John Voight” thing? There could be some guy in Washington named “Daniel Snider”.

35. realitypolice says: Mar 2, 2010 10:32 PM

.VoxVeritas says:
    March 2, 2010 7:59 PM
    =======================
    Vox is on fire tonight. Not literally, like the Eagles fans wish, but in the comedic sense.

36. se18a29 says: Mar 2, 2010 11:34 PM

$600k can buy a lot of food for starving children… opps, nobody cares… it’s the me, me, me generation…

37. Bob Nelson says: Mar 3, 2010 12:11 AM

I didn’t believe the story from the beginning.
    An alligator skin is too rough to write upon. Even with a desk pad the rough texture of alligator causes problems with your desk ornamentation. If looks bad under glass if you put a glass cover over it.
    Now if you want a hide to put on your desk (insert tasteless Redskin joke that will offend many here) he could try red kangaroo as long as it is not suede.
    Actually I think Danny prefers just plain old rosewood.

38. TheVulture says: Mar 3, 2010 12:29 AM

Se18a29, you’re right. I don’t care. I eat and my kids eat. Don’t have kids you can’t afford and we wouldn’t have people like you trying to guilt me into feeling bad about things that aren’t my problem.
    Claire must be a democrat. Class warfare, jealousy, and hate for those who have succeeded.

39. Route36West says: Mar 3, 2010 1:16 AM

Of course you can understand his sensitivity Florio.
    Everyone knows Daniel Snyder is loose with his money and someone saying he spent 600,000 dollars on some desks just adds to its. He likes to deny that hes loose with his money but if this got out there it would just prove what we all already know.
    Its like a toupee salesmen saying you spent a ton of money at his store. We all know you wear one but you deny it and if this got out there it would just prove what we all already know that you wear one.

40. Stone says: Mar 3, 2010 2:17 AM

Sounds like an agent or a player tried to plant a Karl Rove type of seed in the media but didn’t anticipate Snyder responding so quickly and denying so vehemently. Maybe they have a behind the scenes deal that if she was fired they would pay her a year of salary.

41. BLACKQBWHITERB says: Mar 3, 2010 7:48 AM

Did Snyder follow the Rooneygator Rule??????????
    Florio posted this item because he’s still bitter about the Skins failing to deliver on his Super Bowl prediction…………………………..

42. Flimflam1 says: Mar 3, 2010 9:27 AM

I think it’s clear… either Claire or her employer have a connection with an NFL team that has their eyes on the same free agents as the Skins (i.e. all of them).
    The thought that Snyder might spend $600K on that furniture might give the impression that he’s not willing to spend money on the free agents available, thus making them more apt to look elsewhere to sign.
    It wasn’t an honest mistake or a PETA gag, it’s a conspiracy.