Raiders give long snapper a second round tender

The Raiders capped a mystifying day the only way they know how: By giving their long-snapper a second round tender via Fed Ex.

Okay, so Jon Condo is a Pro Bowler. David White of the San Francisco Chronicle writes that Condo will make $1.759 million if he signs the tender, more than three times his previous salary.

This is a rare care of the uncapped year rules helping a player make more money.  But it’s still crazy that Condo got the same tender as the team’s presumptive starting quarterback, and a higher tender than their starting middle linebacker.  He’s no Stanford Routt, though.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Raiders give long snapper a second round tender”
  1. Gautam says: Mar 3, 2010 10:51 PM

“In all, the Raiders have committed $7.134 million in salary to four special teamers for 2010.”
    they really need to do that….

2. JSpicoli says: Mar 3, 2010 10:56 PM

They also have the best special teams in the NFL.

3. WhoDat_champs says: Mar 3, 2010 10:58 PM

This never happens on this site but my guess is that someone will bash the Raiders here.

4. Tim says: Mar 3, 2010 10:59 PM

What? Classic Raiders!

5. dogma1 says: Mar 3, 2010 11:00 PM

Best longer snapper in the NFL

6. ILIKEPIE says: Mar 3, 2010 11:01 PM

Since you can’t score a TD you may as well overpay a long snapper to get the ball to your overpaid punter and FG kicker. Maybe its time Coach Cable starts cold cocking some front office people. I’d start at the top and work my way down

7. RayDaMayor says: Mar 3, 2010 11:01 PM

There simply aren’t words…….

8. SonOfNOLA says: Mar 3, 2010 11:11 PM

At least you can’t say their special teams’ unit suck.

9. CanadianVikingFan says: Mar 3, 2010 11:14 PM

Didn’t you know, the Raiders are based around having the fastest players in the NFL and the best special teams.
    That is the key to success right there…
    Oh Al Davis..

10. Thunderbolt says: Mar 3, 2010 11:16 PM

So the Raiders have the richest punter in the NFL…I’m assuming they now have the richest long snapper too?

11. JustDieBaby says: Mar 3, 2010 11:25 PM

I have about as much use for Al Davis as one of his used diapers. But this actually makes sence. Condo was an undrafted free agent. So he had to get the 2nd round tender. Its either that or not give him one….But one sane move for Al-Heimers is it. The 1 and 3 for Routt was about as stupid as it can get (until this years 1st round bust). Davis actually thinks a team would have given a 1 for Routt.

12. Wardo says: Mar 3, 2010 11:26 PM

Special teams is still part of the NFL, it got the Patriots to superbowl.

13. Peoples Champ says: Mar 3, 2010 11:47 PM

LOL what a dumpster fire the Raiders are! (WhoDat_champs that was just for you…lol)

14. Brewster says: Mar 3, 2010 11:50 PM

Bash the Raiders?
    Why would anyone do that?
    Unless perhaps they deserve it.

15. PaulKemp says: Mar 3, 2010 11:55 PM

Why did I ever quit long snapping? 1.7mill for being on the field 4-5 times in a game, that’s livin the high life…

16. SixBurgh6 says: Mar 4, 2010 12:02 AM

Al Davis, you so CRAZY!

17. richabbs says: Mar 4, 2010 12:08 AM

If Al Davis was an owner in my fantasy league, we’d take his team away from him.

18. Al Davis is my Christ says: Mar 4, 2010 12:35 AM

special teams is 1/3 of the game

19. RaiderMight says: Mar 4, 2010 12:44 AM

For non-Raider fans, you guys sure worry a lot about the contents of Al Davis’ pockets.

20. wangchungish312 says: Mar 4, 2010 12:58 AM

if only having the best special teams in the league meant anything

21. snnyjcbs says: Mar 4, 2010 1:00 AM

Not bad for a Pro Bowl Punter that just may be the best ever, a Pro Bowl Long Snapper and what should have been the Pro Bowl Kicker for the AFC, plus one other really good player.

22. snnyjcbs says: Mar 4, 2010 1:05 AM

One last point on Routt, only the Raiders know what they have turned down in trade offers for Routt. The Raiders also thought more of Routt than Washington which they traded to the Ravens that felt he was good enough to start for them.
    When it comes to great corners no team in the NFL has drafted, developed or stole more Hall of Fame Corners than Al Davis and the Raiders. And those my friend are the FACTS. Most teams have never had 1 Hall of Famer corner while the Raiders have had them in bunches.

23. rraider says: Mar 4, 2010 1:32 AM

Nothing is gauranteed with these tenders is it?

24. zllabnkcoc says: Mar 4, 2010 2:50 AM

And with the 8th overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft, the Oakland Raiders select Tim Tebow: Holder, Florida.

25. Crowder911 says: Mar 4, 2010 3:38 AM

the Raiders used to be a very cool franchise, but they are not even a joke anymore.
    Can someone cut the cables for the break on Al Davis wheelchair PLEASE. its about time the franchise gets a real GM and back on track.

26. Vike Nasty says: Mar 4, 2010 3:48 AM

Wow, yet another inexplicable roster move by the worst run organization in the NFL.
    Let me say that in a way raiders FANS might understand.
    Heyzeus! what dey thinkin essay?

27. beretta96 says: Mar 4, 2010 5:59 AM

it make sense you know, they know their offence sucks…..real bad……. so why not make sure to pin the other team deep? Raider logic!
    You have a 100 million dollar qb who’s fat and can’t hit a barn door, a receiver who’s faster than a roadrunner but couldn’t catch a cold and a HC who’ll knock you out for voicing discontent.

28. RaiderRedleg says: Mar 4, 2010 6:33 AM

___________________________________
    Special team is the only part of the team that is performing well and after wasting MILLIONS of dollars on Javon Walker, MeAngelo Hall, and G. Wilson, the money they offered up yesterday is PEANUTS compared to those mistakes.
    So PFT go ahead and bash away…The Raiders have a ton of fans (even at this low point in the team’s history) and an equally dedicated “Raider Hater” fan basis too…No other team in the NFL comes close to be universally reviled.
    I sure NBC gives you a quota of Raider stories you need to produce every week to satisfy your advertisers.
    Can’t WAIT to see Florio’s “Fix My Franchise” segment on the Raiders…I am sure it will be insightful and deep like ALL of PFT’s Raider postings.

29. dzil says: Mar 4, 2010 7:49 AM

# JSpicoli says: March 3, 2010 10:56 PM
    They also have the best special teams in the NFL.
    sure, keep telling yourself that…
    Dallas Morning News ranked the Raiders at 13th in the league for Special Teams play, along with being the leagues worst with regard to kickoff coverage. According to Pro Football Focus, 18 teams have multiple players ranked in the top 50 on special Teams, the Raiders have none.

30. oldschool says: Mar 4, 2010 8:12 AM

Just announced Raiders franchise their field goal holder.

31. realitypolice says: Mar 4, 2010 8:29 AM

rraider says:
    March 4, 2010 1:32 AM
    Nothing is gauranteed with these tenders is it?
    ====================
    Um…yeah. If Condo signs it, that $1.759m is guaranteed for 2010.

32. realitypolice says: Mar 4, 2010 8:40 AM

============================
    Raiders fans are confused. They envision this nation of Raider Haters who revile them and seeth in anger at the very mention of their name.
    Um……..no. People don’t hate teams that stink. We are making fun of you. Just like the kid in school whose mother dressed him funny- we didn’t hate him, we just teased him mercilessly. If you want us to hate you, stop sucking.
    Nobody is saying these players aren’t good, we are saying that crazy Al is bidding against himself and spending money he doesn’t need to spend.
    BTW- Special teams are not a third of the game. I am so sick of hearing this silly, tired, cliche. Special teams account for less than 10% of overall plays in a game. The bottom 10 in special teams rankings for 2009 included 5 playoff teams (Colts, Vikings, Cowboys, Bengals, Packers, Cardinals). The Colts, a Super Bowl team, finished dead last. The number 1 team? Buffalo.

33. RaiderRedleg says: Mar 4, 2010 9:14 AM

realitypolice says:
    March 4, 2010 8:40 AM
    ————————————————–
    Um…Last time I checked the Saints won the NFC Championship in overtime on a special teams play (Field Goal) and had a key special teams play in the Super Bowl (onside kick) that grabbed the momentum away from the Colts.
    Perhaps (as you argue) it isn’t a true “third of the game”, but ask the Bills (Super Bowl loss) and Vikings (two NFC Championship losses) how important Special Teams are to winning/losing.
    NOT to mention all the clutch kicks that the Patriots got out of Adam Vinatieri made for them over the years.
    So the amount of “Raider Haters” out there may be debateable, BUT your statistical argument above about why special teams aren’t important to the game just doesn’t make sense.

34. realitypolice says: Mar 4, 2010 9:43 AM

==========================
    Thank you for making my point for me. The New Orleans Saints were 18th in special teams last year, and sure as hell were not paying their rookie kicker 2+ million a year, or their long snapper 1.5+ million, yet somehow they managed to get the job done. And the fact that really, really good kickers like Scott Norwood can still miss a kick and cost you a season is the reason that smart teams don’t pay kickers over 2 million dollars a year, period.
    Besides, while the NFC Championship game was won on a field goal, it was decided by the Vikings turning the ball over 5 times. That’s why smart teams, while realizing that special teams are indeed important, focus their spending on players who spend more than 5 snaps per game on the field.
    And dumb teams franchise their kicker, put a first round tender on their long snapper, and a first & third round tender on a guy who started one game in his 4th (5th?) season.

35. jb10 says: Mar 4, 2010 9:53 AM

dzil let me guess the cowboys were ranked at the top and had the most players on the list?
    any list that does not include lechler in the top 5 maybe top 10 is a joke. the best punter in the game is not one of the top 50 special teamers? give me a break.
    realitypolice i live in denver and am a die hard raiders fan and trust me the hate us. they love the fact that the raiders suck right now but they still hate the team and when they lose against us they are indeed hurt. seems the realitypolice needs a bit of a reality slap.

36. Kevin from Philly says: Mar 4, 2010 9:58 AM

There’s no dissension among Raiders season ticket holders – I heard they just gave Al a nice birthday present – a new Prius.

37. RaiderRedleg says: Mar 4, 2010 10:11 AM

realitypolice says:
    March 4, 2010 9:43 AM
    ___________________________________
    First…The only “reality policeman” on this site is Mr. Florio (although Big Tex does a good impression once in awhile).
    Second…You can rattle of stats all you want, but as you said yourself “the NFC Championship game was won on a field goal”….All the other “stats” you are pulling off by Googling “NFL statistics” is crap.
    Third…Plenty of teams franchise their kickers (Steelers/Patriots) and last time I checked they weren’t exactly being called “dumb teams” by NFL “experts” like yourself (although I agree w/Florio that the NFL violates the spirit of the Franchise designation by allowing teams to franchise kickers).
    If you are so passionate about “Special Team Rankings/Stats/Salaries” then click on the tab at the top of the web page that says “Send scoop” (links you straight to Mr. Florio’s e-mail address) and see if he wants to PFTV segment on your opinion…My guess is NOT.

38. realitypolice says: Mar 4, 2010 10:43 AM

==========================
    I’m not passionate about any of this stuff, I’m just trying to have a discussion. I am also not a football expert, and don’t claim to be- I’m too busy having a life.
    I’m sorry you’ve taken this so personally, I was only making fun of your team, not your family.
    I will tell you, however, that if Mike Florio is your idea of a football expert, and if you think I give a half a crap whether he would put me on PFTV (wtf? i mean, wtf?) I don’t know what to tell you.
    You’re right. The Raiders are the best run organization in football and are only doing what any prudent team would do. And since games are often won on field goals, it is the right thing to do to focus your off season efforts on locking up your long-snapper. Although you have rightly pointed out that I know nothing at all about football, I still humbly offer some advice to the best run organization in football:
    Since games also often end on kneel downs (though not much for yor team lately), the Raiders next year should franchise the guy who stands 10 yards behind the QB on that play.
    jb10- Really? They hate you in DENVER? Yes, it certainly is unique for fans of a team to hate another team in the SAME DIVISION. *eyes rolling*
    Guess what- fans in Carolina hate the Falcons- that doesn’t make Atlanta the most reviled team in the NFL.
    And again, since your team is currently a complete joke, I am guessing what they really hate are Raider fans. I’m not sure if you know this, but you guys can occasionally be a little obnoxious.

39. RaiderRedleg says: Mar 4, 2010 11:11 AM

realitypolice says:
    March 4, 2010 10:43 AM
    __________________________________
    Too busy having a life?
    Doesn’t seem that way to me.
    Not offended…Being a Raider fan involves having a VERY thick skin.
    I guess my point is why don’t you just start “having a discussion” about a team you actually like? My guess is you like trashing the Raiders like LOTS of other people…That’s fine and TOTALLY within your rights…Fire away.
    People like jb10, myself and host of other Raider fans just want to talk about and comment on the Raiders. Feel free to chime in (as everyone else does), but when Raider fans reply to your negative posts it is most likely because they probably don’t agree with you (I know that is SHOCKING to you, but its true).
    I can post what I want (as long as Mr. Florio will allow it), you post what you want…You want to call our team “a complete joke” and fans as “a little obnoxious” then be prepared to receive responses that call you out.
    Just please use better examples to support your point…I could think of a BUNCH better things to bring up than “games ending on kneel downs” and rivalries that have AT LEAST been around as long as the old AFL rivalries ( using “Carolina v. Falcons” as a comparison to Oakland/Denver…PLEASE that’s insult to Raider AND Bronco fans). You have NFL teams that have been playing each other for 75-50 years…Try one of those next time.