Fargas, Warren on the way out in Oakland

We noted last week that Oakland Raiders running back Justin Fargas and defensive tackle Gerard Warren had roster bonuses coming and were candidates to be released. Apparently that’s about to happen.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that both Fargas and Warren are expected to get cut before those bonuses are due in the coming days.

Although the Raiders are always unpredictable, it wasn’t hard to see these cuts coming.

Fargas is 30 years old and has seen his yards and yards per carry decrease in each of the last two seasons. Warren is 31 and had a career-low two sacks in 2009.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
26 Responses to “Fargas, Warren on the way out in Oakland”
  1. swervinmervin says: Mar 4, 2010 11:33 AM

Cutting two decent role players, but meanwhile tendering Routt and Eugene WAAAAAY higher than they ever should’ve been tendered. Nice moves, Al…. Unbelievable.

2. INVAIDUH says: Mar 4, 2010 11:39 AM

sooooo… they wont be trading bush to the dolts for a seventh rounder in 2012?….
    hmh…but as always. unpredictable.
    GFY

3. Bobby Bushay says: Mar 4, 2010 11:48 AM

Like Thomas of the Jets, the Raiders could bring both back. But before everyone loses their minds about Kurt Morrison, if Warren is cut and Morrison finds a new home, perhaps the Raiders finally ARE serious about upgrading their middle triangle of the run D. If something happen to Kelly, then THAT would be a surprise! (And perhaps feasible depending on how the Raiders go about the draft).
    And seriously, don’t discount Tim Tebow… Remember Al likes his trophies… and on this one, I can’t blame him if he pulls the trigger as long as it isn’t in the first round. I feel that Tebow will be a winner in the NFL – even if QB doesn’t work out, he loves football and could play a different position.

4. Kevin from Philly says: Mar 4, 2010 11:49 AM

Is this the end for Huggy Bear Jr.?

5. Al_Davis_needs_a_dirtnap says: Mar 4, 2010 11:54 AM

Hate to see Justin go,and his crash test dummy style of running. great teamate. He will be more of a inpact on whatever team he goes to then Tomlinson. As for Warren, got some good years out of him,more than i thought after picking him up when the broncos cut him. Would have been better if headline was morrison and howard traded,what the hell am i saying anybody who watches football would be haapy to see those guys cut. Oh sorry morrison had over a 100 tackles and howard can fun fast they must be good,right?

6. tango says: Mar 4, 2010 12:00 PM

Wareen, gone and no tears shed. Huggy Bear needs to stay. He has plenty left and when he is in he elevates everyone around him by going hard every down. Bobby Bushay cannot be serrious about Tebow ! Most overated QB I have ever seen and a drama queen too !

7. NinerNation says: Mar 4, 2010 12:05 PM

Al Davis takes a lot of crap(some of it is deserved…seriously, DHB and Mike Mitchell), but EVERYONE thought Russell, Huff, McFadden, and Gallery were great picks. As it turns out, there are times when everyone can be wrong. I’m withholding my final judgment on Al until this years draft. If he blows it again, like he did last year, I’ll agree with everyone that he needs to go(die). However, it’s possible, POSSIBLE, that he has a plan, and he’s methodically working towards that end goal.

8. raiders177 says: Mar 4, 2010 12:16 PM

Ehhh towards Warren. Gonna miss Fargas though.

9. jb10 says: Mar 4, 2010 12:17 PM

hopefully fargas will be back. he is the hardest runner on the team. also a good role model for the other two who cannot seem to stay on the field.
    warren was serviceable while we had him. no tears shed there. bobby bushay was right about the run d. let morrison go. he is over rated and constantly out of position and over pursuing the run. he and howard can go, i agree.
    about the tebow par though, you must have hit the pipe after the first paragraph. tango is right! over rated and a will be a joke at the next level.

10. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Mar 4, 2010 12:39 PM

I won’t miss Warren but I sure will miss Fargas, IF they don’t resign him.
    He has such a good attitude and is a terrific team player, he gives all there is to give on every single play.

11. RaiderRedleg says: Mar 4, 2010 12:52 PM

Agree jb10 about hopefully bring Fargas back…Doubt Fargas will get much interest by other teams (then again I couldn’t believe when Denver picked up LaMont Jordan last year).
    G. Warren I would rather Al NOT bring him back unless he is more of a positive locker room presence than I have heard he is (and he is willing to take a VERY small salary)…Him, Tommy Kelly along with LB Corps needs to be held accountable for the SERIOUS lack of run defense (before I get beat up for not mentioning the Raiders bad defensive schemes…I realize that is a big piece of the problem also).

12. mpoles says: Mar 4, 2010 1:38 PM

Warren hasn’t been great as a DT, but there’s very little behind him – and the available free agent DTs will be expensive or have been franchised.
    Fargas would be a cheap pickup for a team looking to add a halfback to a rotation, but he doesn’t play special teams which counts against him.

13. phillyeagleschamps says: Mar 4, 2010 1:39 PM

Raider Cult Followers, your team sucks and is being run into the ground for a reason.
    I cant beleive you guys dont see this.
    Dont waste your time support AL’S team.
    He has an agenda, there are reason for the idiotic moves.
    Think…..
    Now go get your Raider prayer rug and bow to Al.

14. EZeNKCLA says: Mar 4, 2010 2:24 PM

Adam is WRONG (as usual) abt Raiders….and I have told him so on his Twitter acct.
    He assured me Cable would be ousted, I told him he was wrong THEN. Like anyone at ESPN has any inroads with the Raiders…lol.
    Warren may be cut, Fargas will not…not going to elaborate further, will stand on my word.
    Check the schedule for the 3/13 Commitment to Excellence dinner@ the Hilton.
    Gosh, I wish folks would quit pulling Raider stories out of their sphincters and report with accuracy.
    Ok, cue the obvious and moronic turd=Raider jokes….please refrain.

15. polishkingski says: Mar 4, 2010 2:24 PM

16. CaptainFantastik says: Mar 4, 2010 2:33 PM

We’ll take Fargas in Pittsburgh with Willie Parker on the way out.

17. raidertg says: Mar 4, 2010 3:51 PM

I say let them both go. Ya Fargas is a great guy but if you put a pile of guys in front of him he runs straight at them when he could have just made one cut and taken it for 20 more yards. Plus he is just to slow! He can never turn to corner when he tries to break it outside.

18. Tdk24 says: Mar 4, 2010 4:14 PM

If we cut Fargas and don’t resign him, i’m glad that Al gave him that big contract a couple years ago. He worked his arse off for us, his entire career. Crash, you will be missed!

19. theTRUTHwillSETuFREE says: Mar 4, 2010 5:12 PM

Yet another post about the Raiders From the biggest HATER on PFT: EaglesChump. This coming from the guy whos team gave a convicted Dog Killer the Ed Block Courage Award.
    What the hell is your beef with the Raiders or any team for that matter. You are becoming this sites most hated commenter. Every time I see you post something on any thread, you get a dozen responses telling you how much of an F*N dumbass you are. At some point you need to know when to just STFU. All of your takes suck, and you have no legit points. What person in there right mind would want to run your source of income into the ground? Your an IDIOT!!! Shut up!!! Here’s hoping that Florio reads all your posts, and kicks your ass off the site for being such a dumbass.

20. RaiderRedleg says: Mar 4, 2010 5:15 PM

phillyeagleschamps says:
    March 4, 2010 1:39 PM
    I cant beleive you guys dont see this.
    Dont waste your time support AL’S team.
    He has an agenda, there are reason for the idiotic moves.
    Think…..
    Now go get your Raider prayer rug and bow to Al.
    ___________________________________
    Phillyeagleschump,
    I can’t “believe” you don’t know how to spell.
    Don’t waste your time posting crap if don’t know how to spell check prior to hitting “submit”. (DON’T forget the apostrophe next time or spell out DO NOT…That works too) .
    I will admit though you are THE MOST dedicated Raider hater on PFT (Not the brightest mind you, certainly determined).

21. phillyeagleschamps says: Mar 4, 2010 5:59 PM

RaiderCult Leg,
    Thats nice, you didnt answer any of my questions.
    You played the spelling and apostrophe card.
    Like you have never made a typo mistake.
    Now go back to your play station.

22. RaiderRedleg says: Mar 4, 2010 6:35 PM

March 4, 2010 5:59 PM
    RaiderCult Leg,
    Thats nice, you didnt answer any of my questions.
    ___________________________________
    It would actually go:
    “That’s (apostrophe for THAT IS) nice, you didn’t (AGAIN apostrophe for DID NOT) answer any of my questions (no apostrophe that time so GOOD JOB!).
    Back your questions…You will have to tell me the answers since I have better things…Sorry, but do I look forward (AS ALWAYS) to your next BRILLANT post!
    How about instead just spewing “RAIDERS SUCK” a million times backwards on your next post? That would be fun and less taxing on the rest of us.
    BTW…Good one on using “cult” in my name…At least you are staying on message! GOOD JOB AGAIN!

23. tango says: Mar 4, 2010 8:21 PM

Can’t we all just get along !

24. Justin says: Mar 4, 2010 8:59 PM

“polishkingski says:
    March 4, 2010 2:24 PM
    actually lots of people said russell would blow, lots of people said huff was one dimensional at his position and i heard brian balldinger say that mcfadden would flat out suck at the nfl level….”
    Useless without proof. Who are lots of people? Name names. I don’t think you can. Everybody agreed that the #1 pick would be Russell vs Quinn and then either one who wasn’t picked would fall quite a bit because no teams really wanted a QB but nobody expected him to fall that far. I don’t remember any of those criticisms about Huff. I remember analysts saying he might be better suited at corner rather than safety. One dimensional in what aspect though? He wasn’t a heavy hitter in college so what did you even mean?
    PhillyEaglesChamp, Playstation is one title, not two words. I don’t know why you’re mocking video games as it’s the only place you can watch the Eagles actually make it through a game without McNabb throwing it at somebody’s feet, Andy Reid blowing challenges in the 1st quarter, and wasting timeouts before the last 3 minutes of the 4th quarter. Good times.

25. RaiderRedleg says: Mar 4, 2010 9:09 PM

tango says:
    March 4, 2010 8:21 PM
    Can’t we all just get along !
    ___________________________________
    I am afraid not…You can either agree with Phillyeagleschump or burn in that special part of hell reserved for all Raider fans!

26. Oakfan23 says: Mar 5, 2010 4:50 PM

Wow, fargas was our only back who had any heart, very upset about this.