Low expectations for Favre's looming Leno appearance

NFL_favre2.jpgTwo years ago, “retired” quarterback Brett Favre appeared on The Late Show, telling David Letterman that “something’s bound to happen” when July rolls around.

We found it to be a significant comment, even though after uttering the words Brett tried to laugh it all off.  Some of you thought we were crazy (then again, plenty of you already had developed that opinion), but we became convinced at that point that we would see more of the guy who had walked away from the sport after losing the NFC title game.

Today, he has lost another NFC title game — and he’s back on late-night television, with NBC’s Jay Leno, of NBC.  On NBC.  Favre has yet to say whether he’ll play in 2010, and no one expects Favre to commit to returning tonight on The Tonight Show.  On NBC.

But Favre has gone through this routine multiple times now.  He knows that, in March, he doesn’t want to play.  And he knows that, in July, he does.  With no lingering injury issues (assuming the purple has faded from his ankle and hamstring area), there’s no reason not to tell Jay, “You know, every year at this time, I think I could never play again.  And every year, I’m ready to go when it’s time to play.  Last year was the most fun I’ve had in a long, long time, and I’ve got the rest of my life to not play football.  I feel good, I think I can still do it.  So I will be back.”

And what if he throws us all another curve ball and takes it one step farther?

“I had such a great time last year,” he might say, “that I’m willing to do whatever I have to do to be as good as I can be in 2010.  I’m approaching this year like it’s my last, so I’m giving everything I have.  Not just for me, but because I want my teammates to experience the thrill of winning a Super Bowl.  We came too close last year not to buckle down and do whatever we can to push over the top this time around.”

Nah, he’ll probably just say he doesn’t know what he’s gonna do.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
50 Responses to “Low expectations for Favre's looming Leno appearance”
  1. superfluousK says: Mar 4, 2010 11:59 AM

Corporate synergy is fantastic.

2. endzoneview says: Mar 4, 2010 12:00 PM

Seriously, this damn zigtech ad or whatever it is is pissing me off. How many times do I have to hit the “x” button to close that thing.

3. Big Stretch says: Mar 4, 2010 12:00 PM

Favre is a joke no longer worth telling, and LENO is an unorigional douche bag that steals material from Howard Stern.

4. Supersuckers says: Mar 4, 2010 12:03 PM

I hope Leno has the stones to ask him…”Why didnt you just run to the sideline for those 5 yards?”

5. DarnSkippy says: Mar 4, 2010 12:04 PM

Does anyone else see the irony of a talk show host who leaves his show then decides he wants it back having a quarterback who retires and then un-retires every year on as a guest?

6. Bun McSticky says: Mar 4, 2010 12:04 PM

Now we’re using quotes and quotations for things that Favre MIGHT say?? LMAO.
    The internet….where anything goes.

7. stetai says: Mar 4, 2010 12:06 PM

Interesting timing that Brett makes his first public interview on the eve of free agency.
    Might be coincidence, might be significant. I still believe he’s waiting to see what the Vikings do this month before deciding (which is wise), but maybe he’s going to stimulate the Vikings free agency prospects by saying he’ll return?
    He gave Greta some exclusives, why not a bigger audience?

8. pkrlvr says: Mar 4, 2010 12:06 PM

I love how everyone thinks Favre is such a diva and will do anything to keep his name in the news when it’s really the stupid media that never stops hounding him, camping out in front of his house, requesting interviews, etc. etc. Then when they get their interviews, they call the man a headline grabbing whore. It’s a lose/lose for Favre.

9. last starfighter says: Mar 4, 2010 12:07 PM

He’s just an ordinary humble guy who doesn’t enjoy the spotlight. LMFAO

10. Evpimp says: Mar 4, 2010 12:08 PM

I second that come on back Brett

11. cheeseweasel says: Mar 4, 2010 12:11 PM

Uh oh, now theres speculation on how Favre might say what he’s going to say. Put little Jimmy Smiff and Bob Nelson in a frenzy of hatred for Favre. That there folks is good entertainment. All the Packer fans that worshipped Favre now hate him, or at least say “he wasnt really that good” . Your wife cheated on you with your best friend. Enjoy it, we sure are….

12. ToniGoSaintsRou says: Mar 4, 2010 12:13 PM

All I have to say is IF he’s NUTS ENUF to come back…the WHO DAT NATION is waitn’ for him!

13. red13 says: Mar 4, 2010 12:14 PM

Hey Florio, seeing as how you love to dis Favre (like stating as fact that he makes the FA decisions for the Vikes), I’m surprised you didn’t insinuate he wrote Leno’s monologue and had veto power over the other guests appearing on the show.

14. LL Live says: Mar 4, 2010 12:15 PM

How is that taint injury that only Florio seemed to be in position to find out about?

15. KingJoe! says: Mar 4, 2010 12:17 PM

Who freakin’ cares about Farve? He blew it once again at the end of a season. He is an attention whore who can not stand being out of the limelight. He will play football until no one wants him. I would think this year his body will finally break down and not allow him to continue. The Vikes may even get stuck if Farve breaks down in training camp cant play. TJ will become the man.

16. jimmySee says: Mar 4, 2010 12:17 PM

“But we can think of no better way for Favre to completely steal the thunder of free agency than to declare to the world upon launch of the uncapped year that he will be back.

… or that he won’t.

17. Milhouse says: Mar 4, 2010 12:19 PM

endzoneview is right, I am never going to buy anything from zigtech.

18. Real Vikings fans wouldn't cheer for Favre says: Mar 4, 2010 12:20 PM

Remember how going into the Dallas game it was said he already knew what he was going to do? But now today he probably won’t be sure. SMH

19. J.Cannon says: Mar 4, 2010 12:20 PM

Here’s to hoping the improbable happens and Favre announces hell be back next season

20. Boudin says: Mar 4, 2010 12:24 PM

20. Brett Favre is going to be on the fourth night of Jay Leno’s return to “The Tonight Show.” Ugh. Do not want. Somewhere, in a far superior alternate universe, Conan O’Brien is hosting “The Tonight Show” and interviewing Tracy Porter. And I have a huge smile on my face.
    —from another blog.

21. Big Stretch says: Mar 4, 2010 12:24 PM

@ # pkrlvr says: March 4, 2010 12:06 PM
    ————————————————–
    All he has to do is say NO. Favre loves this shit as much as he loves throwing picks.

22. ☻☼CBS, FOX, ESPN, NFLN nbc says: Mar 4, 2010 12:27 PM

I just want Bertt to talk about how he masks his HGH use

23. JimmySmith says: Mar 4, 2010 12:27 PM

I hope Leno sends a limo to the airport to pick him up, Chilly is probably jealous.
    Favre will continue his good old boy routine but I would love Jay to quote stats from his recent playoff games and end with the simple question, how do you consistently choke in the big spot?
    Favre can then throw the team under the bus with the 12 man huddle and complain about the ref’s in OT and emerge the hero spokesperson for Viking fans everywhere.

24. Thorpie says: Mar 4, 2010 12:28 PM

Why is Favre even on Leno anyway? I thought those talk shows were reserved for winners? I guess he can talk about how he used to be a winner a long time ago or about how he “almost” won the game that would have put them in the superbowl this year. Great material for a local Minny station, but does anybody esle care?

25. shadowman1433 says: Mar 4, 2010 12:29 PM

You can’t believe a thing that farve says. He will lie about everything. We’re not buying you dumb a$$ country hick act anymore.

26. se18a29 says: Mar 4, 2010 12:37 PM

The pukers are very scared…. hahahaahaha

27. CanadianVikingFan says: Mar 4, 2010 12:38 PM

He’ll be back, but will Tarvaris is the real question.

28. SoCoRaider says: Mar 4, 2010 12:45 PM

Eff Leno. I’m with CoCo!!!

29. superbowl says: Mar 4, 2010 12:48 PM

I hope he sticks it to the packer tribe of fans.
    I hope he calls you classless idiots out.

30. Supersuckers says: Mar 4, 2010 12:53 PM

JimmySmith says:
    March 4, 2010 12:27 PM
    ——
    Well said Jimmy

31. ninerfan says: Mar 4, 2010 12:53 PM

Leno should’ve invited Terry Bradshaw too so Favre would have someone to talk to about lawn mowin’ and shrimpin’.

32. lebowski says: Mar 4, 2010 1:10 PM

It became obvious as last year went on that the Vikes had a Superbowl team, with an easy schedule, and about all we could hope for was that somehow they’d choke away their chance yet again. And if the diva asshole could do something stupid in the playoffs to help kill their chance, all the better. Mission accomplished. Come back, Breanna.

33. Chickenfoot says: Mar 4, 2010 1:12 PM

Supersuckers says:
    March 4, 2010 12:53 PM
    JimmySmith says:
    March 4, 2010 12:27 PM
    ——
    Well said Jimmy
    ========================
    Just for everyone’s edification, Supersuckers IS JimmySmith.

34. polishkingski says: Mar 4, 2010 1:17 PM

pam oliver is a fine nubian goddess with a phat fanny….

35. bluestree says: Mar 4, 2010 1:35 PM

Farve is just keeping his name in the press, maximizing his earning potential. More tv commercials on the way. Farve is becoming overexposed, and what usually happens is when you get built up to a certain level, the tipping point is reached and the media is able to generate mega buzz tearing you down. Hopefully there are no skeletons in Brent’s toolshed. (Nudge, nudge, wink,wink. Roger Clemons.)

36. Supersuckers says: Mar 4, 2010 1:39 PM

Chickenfoot says:
    March 4, 2010 1:12 PM
    Supersuckers says:
    March 4, 2010 12:53 PM
    JimmySmith says:
    March 4, 2010 12:27 PM
    ——
    Well said Jimmy
    ========================
    Just for everyone’s edification, Supersuckers IS JimmySmith.
    —————-
    Not true. But I know who is.

37. DuluthFan says: Mar 4, 2010 1:53 PM

Big Stretch = Angry and can’t get over Farve leaving GB
    DarnSkippy = Angry and can’t get over Farve leaving GB
    pkrlvr = Realist
    cheeseweasle and se18a29 = Took the words right out of my mouth
    ToniGoSaintsRou = Good Saints Fan
    KingJoe! = Angry and can’t get over Favre leaving GB
    Real Vikings fans wouldn’t cheer for Favre = Angry and can’t get over Favre joining the Vikings (would rather have TJack?)
    ☻☼CBS, FOX, ESPN, NFLN nbc = Angry at Favre and too much of a coward to use a real/regular moniker
    JimmySmith = (Extra) Angry and can’t get over Farve leaving GB
    Thorpie = Angry at Farve + never accomplished anything in his/her life
    lebowski = Angry at Favre
    ninerfan and polishkingski = funny :)

38. ToniGoSaintsRou says: Mar 4, 2010 1:58 PM

So, Favre finally got off the ground?!!! GEAUX SAINTS!!!!

39. ToniGoSaintsRou says: Mar 4, 2010 2:00 PM

Good one “NinerFan”!!!

40. poiuyt says: Mar 4, 2010 2:01 PM

@ ☻☼CBS, FOX, ESPN, NFLN
    I just want Bertt to talk about how he masks his HGH use
    ————
    Oh come now. Just because an athlete performs better at age 40 than he did the rest of his career doesn’t mean he’s on PED. Just ask Roger Clemons.
    Oh, wait.

41. Big Stretch says: Mar 4, 2010 2:19 PM

@ DuluthFan says: March 4, 2010 1:53 PM
    Big Stretch = Angry and can’t get over Farve leaving GB
    —————————————————
    wrong. not a packer fan I’m just tired of Favre’s offseason bullshit, and LENO is a DOUCHE BAG

42. footballrulz says: Mar 4, 2010 2:47 PM

@ polishkingski
    Here ya go. There’s another dude on here who thinks she’s pretty hot too. I don’t get it personally, but to each his own.

43. ChuckForeman44 says: Mar 4, 2010 2:50 PM

Ok…
    Vikings will move to LA.
    Favre will throw another pick in crunch time.
    Favre loves the spotlight.
    Will he come back?
    Will he not come back?
    Chilly cant coach.
    Peterson cant hold onto the ball.
    Supersuckers is Jimmy Smiths bitch.
    Who cares….just the fact that Green Bays hero for the last 16 or 17 years defected and went to their worst enemy and its literally tearing at the hearts of Fudgepacker Nation…..makes me laugh. I love it.

44. Ilovefoolsball says: Mar 4, 2010 3:00 PM

I hope he does come back. What a great kickoff for the NFL it would be to have a rematch of the NFC title game from last year. It will give the Vikes a chance to get back at the Saints on their opening day in the dome. It will also give Adrian Peterson a chance to fumble more times than he did back in that game.

45. Bordner says: Mar 4, 2010 4:04 PM

I also like Pam Oliver. She used to be hotter years ago, but so did most women.

46. lebowski says: Mar 4, 2010 4:06 PM

ChuckForeman44…. just the fact that Favre did to Vikes fans what he’s done to Packer fans the past 10 years, namely, screw us in the playoffs and literally tear our hearts out… makes me laugh. I love it.

47. SF Saints Fan says: Mar 4, 2010 4:11 PM

Time to reset the Home Page Counter: “Days Without a Favre Story” back to zero.
    PFT.com made it a “whole” 14 hours and 13 minutes this time…….
    What is the over/under on the next “Favre Story”?

48. Kevin from Philly says: Mar 4, 2010 5:37 PM

Isn’t watching Leno for entertaiment the definition of “low expectations”?

49. HawgNSonsTV says: Mar 4, 2010 9:03 PM

Man…WTF?…why the hell are you censoring my comments…DON’T MAKE ME GO BACK TO…”ProHockeyTalk” and make my feeling be known!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

50. packers4life says: Mar 4, 2010 9:54 PM

“makes me laugh. I love it.”
    People were doing the exact same thing when Favre chucked that interception in the NFC Championship Game and watching all the lil Viking ‘fans’ cry. Check out YouTube, they have plenty of videos showing Viking ‘fans’ reaction to that play. I got a good laugh out of it as did many others.