Matt Moore 'ecstatic' at Panthers' tender offer

Some NFL players are disappointed or even angry when their teams tender them at the highest possible level, because the high tender makes it highly unlikely that other teams will bid for the player’s services.

Carolina Panthers quarterback Matt Moore is not one of those players.

My wife and I are ecstatic right now,” Moore told Steve Reed of CarolinaGrowl.com. “I was surprised. I didn’t know exactly what to expect, to be perfectly honest with you. When my agent called and told me about [the tender] I was really excited and really happy. I think it shows they have a lot of confidence in me, which is reassuring.”

If Moore signs the one-year tender offer, he’ll make $3.043 million in 2010, which is a huge raise from the $460,000 he made in 2009. And then he’d be a free agent again in 2011.

But Moore sounds like a man who hopes he’s in Carolina for the long haul.

“I think Carolina is the place to be,” Moore said. “I think it’s the perfect place for me, I really do. I’m excited to be in the situation I’m in right now.”

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Matt Moore 'ecstatic' at Panthers' tender offer”
  1. drumbug71 says: Mar 4, 2010 7:58 AM

If I got that much of a raise and a possible chance of being promoted, without having to do anything extra, I’d be ecstatic too!

2. DonTerrelli says: Mar 4, 2010 8:02 AM

Until Vick is traded there and usurps his starting position.

3. Pudge Heffelfinger says: Mar 4, 2010 8:04 AM

If I got a $3 million raise I’d be ecstatic too.

4. Dave The Panther says: Mar 4, 2010 8:06 AM

Moore Deserves the #1 spot over Jake. I am hoping no other team offers him a deal with some sort of poison pill attached to it.

5. ebr362 says: Mar 4, 2010 8:07 AM

Its refreshing to hear a grateful NFL player. I guess the raise helps with that attitude, but good for him, I hope he succeeds!

6. severs28 says: Mar 4, 2010 8:17 AM

That is the attitude all of these guys should have.

7. gopher says: Mar 4, 2010 8:24 AM

This is good to hear about a player being happy regarding his salary, I guess it makes it easier when you go from $460K to $3.043 million but it still is nice to see.

8. Bob Nelson says: Mar 4, 2010 8:35 AM

The way he tore apart the vikings defense on national television shows he can play. That convincing win also demonstrated his leadership skills.
    Anybody getting a 700% raise should feel happy.
    There are several teams out there looking for a quarterback and Carolina had to tender him at the high level.
    Good deal all around.

9. burntorangehorn says: Mar 4, 2010 8:37 AM

That’s a solid paycheck for a guy who dropped a little due to his senior season. It would seem to indicate that Carolina thinks he might be the QBOTF.

10. pantherdan89 says: Mar 4, 2010 8:45 AM

Vick is not going to Carolina. They allready have
    four rbs that are faster than him and can probably throw more accurately too.
    Matt Moore deserves his shot to start. Glad to see he’s getting paid.

11. TheDPR says: Mar 4, 2010 8:52 AM

I like this kid. I don’t think he’ll ever be one of the great ones but he’s a worker and seems smart enough to linger around the league for awhile even if he doesn’t stick with the Panthers long term. My guess is that with this deal he’ll set up his family for life (and not blow it all on jewelry and cars). Good for him. Congratulations Matt.

12. Reasonable says: Mar 4, 2010 9:03 AM

I watched him play last season and he sucks. SOrry but this kid can’t play. Maybe they have been watching Delahome so long they have forgotten what a QB looks like. Sorry Panther fans, I’m no hater, but this kid sucks.

13. pilot08 says: Mar 4, 2010 9:07 AM

I love this guys potential.. Just one more good receiver opposite of 89 and he should be golden, along with that running game and solid offensive line..
    Steve Smith bailed Jake out so many times its not even funny.

14. trimitdan says: Mar 4, 2010 9:20 AM

It is truly refreshing to hear a pro athlete that is excited for the opportunity and doesn’t have a “you owe me” mentality. I’m so sick of all the chest thumping, posse, gold tooth, jewelry, gun, crib and car crap bragging garbage that goes on in sports. It’s good to hear of a player that is positive and has a tone of humility and gratitude instead of the cocky crap we get to listen to all the time. The media is definitely a double edged sword.

15. -RoNiN- says: Mar 4, 2010 9:29 AM

Matt Moore has alot of potential.. he’s willing to learn.. and has the right attitude!! Too bad more NFL players don’t!! I bet the Cowboys are kicking themselves in the rear for letting him get away (they tried to stash him on the practice squad).. Best of luck to him!!

16. Buff_bronc_fan says: Mar 4, 2010 9:33 AM

I echo everyone else’s thoughts. It’s nice to hear from a guy who has things in perspective and isn’t trying to garner sympathy for his multi-million $$ contract.
    Hopefully Brandon Marshall is listening.

17. jfpantherdeac says: Mar 4, 2010 9:53 AM

To Reasonable- why do you say he sucks? Do you have anything to back it up? His 100+ passser rating not good enough? His 4-1 record as a starter not good enough? His 8 td to 1 int not good enough?

18. Larry David says: Mar 4, 2010 10:21 AM

This guy is a backup QB, period. If he’s your QB of the future, you got problems.

19. finsbooyah says: Mar 4, 2010 10:52 AM

I’m now officially a Matt Moore fan

20. FumbleNuts says: Mar 4, 2010 11:17 AM

Reasonable says:
    March 4, 2010 9:03 AM
    Put down your crack pipe and step away from the TV.
    Dude, you must have been watching the WRONG channel?
    The guy was great the last 4 games of the season.

21. pilot08 says: Mar 4, 2010 12:42 PM

Yea, how can anyone possibly believe he SUCKS?? .. Im sorry dude, but you’re an idiot.

22. jm0205 says: Mar 4, 2010 2:12 PM

I’m a Steeler fan so there’s no bias here.. I think this kid is going to be good. He should be starting from Week 1

23. Pantherfan10 says: Mar 4, 2010 8:41 PM

I’m ecstatic they gave him that tender. He’s a young guy with a lot of potential.
    Give up the Vick cries, if you don’t see the obvious reasons he dosn’t fit in our system you fail. Why would you want the ball in his hands when we already have Stewart and Williams running the ball? We already have 1qb with a noodle arm….
    One of Carolinas biggest holes to fill is the 2nd WR. If Cardinals only want a 3rd round draft pick for it I hope Carolina would jump all over it if Boldin and Smitty could get along. Bring back Moose to fill the slot like Rickey Prohel did and Panthers offense could be hypothetically “set”.

24. dinlaman says: Mar 4, 2010 10:33 PM

Carolina needs to take a serious look at Vick it sure can’t hurt. Jake needs to go his glory has long passed. Look at Vicks stats when hes on his game theres no one better.

25. TigerPlanck says: Mar 5, 2010 8:07 AM

Here is the thing. Matt Moore might not win games, but he sure isn’t going to lose games. Remember, the Panthers are a running team and Moore is an athletic QB. When Defenses stack up on the run, then almost anybody can go 15 – 18, for 225 yds and a TD.

26. TigerPlanck says: Mar 5, 2010 12:45 PM