Cromartie addresses tackling, child support

Antonio Cromartie was justifiably criticized when he didn’t even try to tackle Jets running back Shonn Greene on a touchdown run that helped New York beat Cromartie’s San Diego Chargers in the playoffs.

Cromartie was also justifiably criticized after the season, when reports surfaced that he was behind on child support payments.

In his first meeting with the media since being traded from the Chargers to the Jets, Cromartie addressed both issues.

“I have not been the best tackler at times in my career,” Cromartie said. “That is something I am truly [going to be] working on this off-season.”

Asked specifically about that Greene touchdown, Cromartie acknowledged he messed up.

“My thought on that is it is something I should have made the play on, honestly,” Cromartie said. “I was there to make the tackle for a three or four yard gain and it did not happen. That is something I look back on, but not forget and try to look forward to [improving on] this year with the Jets.”

Cromartie also vowed to make sure his child support was in order.

“I have seven kids that live in five different states,” Cromartie said. “I made some wrong decisions my first two years in the NFL. Now I have to take on the responsibility of being a father to my kids. . . . It won’t impact my focus on the field.”

Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum acknoweged that both issues raise concerns, but he said the team is confident that Cromartie will do the right things on the field and off.

“Obviously, that one play has a tremendous amount of notoriety, but let’s face it, Shonn Greene broke a lot of tackles,” Tannenbaum said.

And Tannenbaum said the Jets think they have the right support system to keep Cromartie in line.

“We looked at that and we understand some of the issues that he has, but we feel really good about the organizational resources we have to help him and give him the best chance to be successful,” Tannenbaum said. “There is going to be some work involved on Antonio’s part and on our part working with him, but we felt the risk was reasonable given the price we had to pay.”

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Cromartie addresses tackling, child support”
  1. Slow Joe says: Mar 5, 2010 7:05 PM

With all the balls that will be completed on him opposite Darelle Revis, they’ll nickname him “An-toast-io Cromartie”.

2. North Killadelphia says: Mar 5, 2010 7:07 PM

That is a boner-inducingly funny headline

3. Joebagels says: Mar 5, 2010 7:09 PM

Lets hope he gets an INT for each kid next year! Still a big improvement from Lito…

4. aec4 says: Mar 5, 2010 7:11 PM

HEIST by the NYJ. Tannenbaum should go to jail for grand larceny.

5. nfcbeast says: Mar 5, 2010 7:11 PM

Good lord! Who was that broncos runningback that had like 11 kids and didnt pay support ??? Its the same damn thing!!
    Dudes are like Octomom, wtf.
    Get a Vasectomy if you love to “superman the hoes”

6. SonOfNOLA says: Mar 5, 2010 7:13 PM

Atta boy! All they need is a another decent wideout to supplement Edwards.

7. ncoolong says: Mar 5, 2010 7:14 PM

This headline has to make Jets fans feel pretty comfortable!

8. bh103 says: Mar 5, 2010 7:14 PM

Cro will take the Jets D a notch.

9. The Notorious V.I.C. says: Mar 5, 2010 7:15 PM

How the hell can a guy who’s like 25 years old have 7 different kids littered all over the place?
    Think about that. Think about your own situation. If you mess up, maybe you’ve got ONE bastard kid floating around out there. If you really, really screw up, you might do it a second time. But SEVEN?
    What a stupid freaking idiot. I wouldn’t be surprised if, down the line, several of his kids end up being messed up screw ups.

10. troke says: Mar 5, 2010 7:16 PM

Well he did help the Jets into the AFC Championship, it’ll be interesting to see if they can do it again with him on their roster.

11. lanjoith says: Mar 5, 2010 7:25 PM

As a Charger fan I have heard Cro say in interviews that he is working on tackling every training camp. He has all the talent in the world but his head just isn’t screwed on straight. He is the kind of player whose inconsistency will send Rex Ryan to an early grave.
    He will make the highlight reel play and then give up the routine play you need to make. He makes the tackle on Greene and the Bolts probably win that game.
    I liked Cro but at some point it’s time to cut your losses.

12. Mediotocracy says: Mar 5, 2010 8:00 PM

That nitwit will never run out of excuses. I hope Jets fans enjoy the unique headache that Antonio Cromartie is……… a POS human being.

13. TFBuckFutter says: Mar 5, 2010 8:07 PM

“I have seven kids that live in five different states,” Cromartie said
    Lord help us all.
    Travis Henry isn’t exactly the best role model, dipshit.

14. Jeanna says: Mar 5, 2010 8:21 PM

he makes the highlight reel play, then gives up the routine play he needs to make? Sounds like a defensive version of Braylon Edwards. Must be what the Jets are looking for!

15. Route36West says: Mar 5, 2010 8:22 PM

Come on MDS your usually the best writer on this site but I gotta say you disappointed me on this post.
    when Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum said this about the notorious no tackle play:
    How could you not call him out on that? Shonn Greene didnt break Cromartie’s tackle. Cromartie came up leaned in and seen Green was coming hard so he stood straight up and backed off because he didnt want to get him and then was embarrassed or something and gave him a cheap shot in the end zone.
    I really like Cromartie I just think he loses his head or nerve or something every once and a while. I do think however that Rex Ryan will fix that. He will never be a hard hitting corner like Sheldon Brown but I he will get better. I think when Rex get thru with him he will never lose his nerve in a game again. He will be a top corner again by 2011 if its with the Jets who knows.
    But you can not let a G.M. off the hook like that. You gotta call him out as soon as he tells a lie like that. The crazy thing is he said he knew how much notoriety the play had but he still tried to make us believe that it didnt happen the way we all know it did.
    You gotta get it together MDS or Florio is going to make you go get your shine box. Get Used to It.

16. flavordave says: Mar 5, 2010 8:23 PM

“I have seven kids that live in five different states,” Cromartie said. “I made some wrong decisions ” Ahhh yeah dude

17. TryTheVeal says: Mar 5, 2010 8:25 PM

What A Jackass…..7 different kids in 5 different states. Too damn funny. That’s at least 18 years of payments per kid you freakin idiot, more if they go to college, but that’s a major stretch. I don’t think his NFL career is gonna last 18 years. It never ceases to amaze me the stupidity of some professional athletes. You would think after the first time, he’d umm….. learn his lesson. But NO, this bozo does it 7 times. Get a BJ next time Dumbass.

18. poorrichard says: Mar 5, 2010 8:27 PM

No character Cro won’t make the plays needed to win a title. The guy has shown flashes but has been reliably unreliable since high school. If he approached sex like he did tackling then he wouldnt have so many kids.

19. Roger Goodell's a tool. says: Mar 5, 2010 8:43 PM

Cromarties problem is just that he is dumb as shit. It’s not his fault he can’t tackle or use proper birth control, he just too stupid.
    I’d suspect his IQ is so low, he’s legally retarded.

20. nflhof says: Mar 5, 2010 8:46 PM

Thats got to be the funniest thing I have read in a long time.
    I wonder what he said after his 3rd,4th, 5th, 6th and 7th child? “ok I will start using protection” Cromartie is who he is and he will be the same guy in NYC. He does not learn from his mistakes and probadly never will.

21. nflhof says: Mar 5, 2010 8:48 PM

Organizational Resources=Daycare for 7 children.

22. SdBoltz says: Mar 5, 2010 8:54 PM

Enough said… have fun with all that baggage Jets. 5 more paternity suits on the way and dude can’t even pass the written portion of a DMV test. No wonder he doesn’t study film… he thinks with the wrong head.

23. SdBoltz says: Mar 5, 2010 8:56 PM

24. billsfan1 says: Mar 5, 2010 9:02 PM

Travis HEnry and Shawn Kemp here i come……………………………. seriously there are plenty of white girls in NYC just waiting to be knocked up by a dumb, er i mean rich athlete……….
    its good to see he hits the skinz better than a rb.. just sayin’ cro'(creation)

25. JimmyY says: Mar 5, 2010 9:08 PM

Cro was spectacular ’07 then injuries and off the field caught up with him. DMV issues also. If he or his women don’t come down with some STD’s I’d be really shocked. Hope he really turns it around, he needs to support those kids.

26. buddha says: Mar 5, 2010 9:14 PM

“Now I have to take on the responsibility of being a father to my kids.” HaHa! Thats a bunch of B/S! Just because he might start paying his child support, that doesnt make him a “father” all of the sudden. I bet he doesnt even see or talk to his kids. What a piece of sh@#.

27. filthylucre says: Mar 5, 2010 9:43 PM

“My thought on that is it is something I should have made the play on, honestly…I was there to make the tackle for a three or four yard gain and it did not happen. That is something I look back on, but not forget and try to look forward to this year with the Jets.”
    This moron talks like Jerry’s Kids walk.

28. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK 2.0OH! says: Mar 5, 2010 10:07 PM

Bob Barker says:
    “Help control the pet population. Have your pet spayed or neutered. Goodbye, everybody!”
    Great words indeed, should apply to humans too. He ain’t gonna be a father to all of them ‘cos those ho’s pair up with other dudes quicker than ants in a pic-a-nic basket at the park, dudes be preyin’ for deep pocket child support broads too. What a mess, it can never work out for the Jets as well as they want it to. San Diego won this one.

29. JoeSixPack says: Mar 5, 2010 10:26 PM

Seems like a perfect fit for the Jests.

30. DG0122 says: Mar 5, 2010 10:33 PM

he is not got at wrapping anything up apparently

31. Sourdough says: Mar 5, 2010 10:35 PM

I honestly don’t understand why the Jets wanted Cromartie on their roster. The “guy” is as soft as Florio’s second chin.

32. Adam says: Mar 6, 2010 3:04 AM

SonOfNOLA says:
    March 5, 2010 7:13 PM
    Atta boy! All they need is a another decent wideout to supplement Edwards.
    Word draft Golden Tate first round!
    Rex, Revis, and Bart Scott will damn well make sure Cro can tackle.
    SdBoltz says:
    March 5, 2010 8:54 PM
    Aww I’m sorry the Jets actually help players out with their problems. You got sand in your vagina or something?
    Again, Revis will whip his ass into shape.

33. joey-pickles says: Mar 6, 2010 9:25 AM

@ Route36West
    All that typing to TRY and convince us that Greene did not break that tackle??? What a joke!
    Watch the replay again… and again… and again…
    You’ll see Greene lower his shoulder and bulldoze right through Cro. Maybe Cro could have done better but to give Greene basically no credit??? You’re a joke!

34. mongo lloyd says: Mar 6, 2010 1:08 PM

7 kids huh? he has a real problem covering things. Look, I’m a charger fan, been watching this guy, he had a break out season because defenses didn’t plan for him cause he was a nobody, untested he went out and made some plays. Once defenses keyed on him he was worthless. Its pretty simple. He’s just not that good. You can’t fix being a wimp. Later cro! thank god you are gone with your bible tweeting non tackling no condom wearing wuss!

35. Knickerbocker says: Mar 10, 2010 6:22 PM

7 kids in 5 states…
    Could be worse…
    It could be 5 kids in 7 states!