Tully Banta Cain returns to New England

Julius Peppers is going elsewhere, but the Patriots still have Tully Banta-Cain.

Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston first reported that New England reached a contract extension that will keep Banta-Cain in New England for the next three seasons.

The situational pass rusher had only half a sack less than Peppers last season.

Somehow, we doubt his contract totals are nearly as comparable.

UPDATE: Banta-Cain did pretty well.  He will average $4.5 million-per-season. The deal could reach $6 million per season if he hits certain escalators.  He got $6 million to sign.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
15 Responses to “Tully Banta Cain returns to New England”
  1. hizzle1281 says: Mar 5, 2010 3:16 PM

smart signing
    see thats why their still one of the best teams in the NFL

2. Jose Reyes says: Mar 5, 2010 3:17 PM

He also didn’t have 5 FFs and 2 INTs though. I mean don’t get me wrong I don’t want to sign a 31 year old Peppers to as much dough as the Bears are giving up for him but let’s not even compare Banta-Cain and Peppers, they’re worlds apart.

3. pfii63 says: Mar 5, 2010 3:19 PM

GREAT move by the Pats to bring TBC back. Let’s see… he had 10 sacks last year, and is getting how much compared to Peppers? Money better spent on TBC.

4. Tim says: Mar 5, 2010 3:22 PM

We’ll just have to see if he had a Brady Anderson season last year or if he’s for real.

5. JakeDSnake says: Mar 5, 2010 3:27 PM

You down with TBC? (Yeah you know me)
    Who’s down with TBC? (All the Patsies)
    Army with harmony
    Gregg drop a load on ‘em
    TBC, how can I explain it
    I’ll take you frame by frame it
    To have y’all jumpin’ shall we singin’ it
    T is for The, B is for Best – scratchin’ temple
    The last C…well…that’s not that simple
    It’s sorta like another way to call a cat a kitten
    It’s three little letters that are missin’ here
    There’s no room for relationship there’s just room to hit it
    How many brothers out there know just what I’m gettin’ at
    Who thinks it’s wrong ‘cos I’m splittin’ and co-hittin’ at
    Well if you do, that’s TBC and you’re not down with it
    But if you don’t, here’s your membership

6. 8man says: Mar 5, 2010 3:28 PM

And the most important thing is that TBC wants to be in New England.
    Amazing what guys can accomplish when they play where they want to play.

7. prophet of the light says: Mar 5, 2010 3:37 PM

Now maybe the Patriots can draft someone who can actually get to the passer for the other side…

8. 65TossPowerTrap says: Mar 5, 2010 3:38 PM

I’m a Pats fan and a TBC fan, but the Pats overreacted on the money end. They could have offered that to Jason Taylor (who had as many sacks as TBC), and got an edge rusher. Tully is a situational rusher on stunt plays. He’s not striking fear in any opposing QBs, he’s popping up out of bushes.
    Think about it, TBC left in FA for San Fran and was rendered useless. He thrives in NE, so why overpay him? Don’t get the Belichick FA mentality sometimes.

9. Laxer37 says: Mar 5, 2010 3:38 PM

Is this the same guy they cut last year?
    I smell championship!

10. Zach says: Mar 5, 2010 3:47 PM

“Amazing what guys can accomplish when they play where they want to play.”
    Amazing what guys can accomplish when they play against the Bills’ o-line.
    5 of his 9.5 sacks in 2 games agains the Bills.

11. yarlmak says: Mar 5, 2010 4:03 PM

@Zach- I love the amateur assessments based on one stat line and what you see on commercial TV coverage. I’m guessing that Belichick’s analysis is based on extensive review of the coach’s game tape, showing the whole field, adjusted for situation and matchups. I’m guessing that Belichick’s people objectively compared the results of this game tape study for both Peppers and TBC and decided that TBC is worth this money and Peppers not worth what he is demanding. But I could be wrong! Maybe BB didn’t realize that TBC had 5 sacks on the Bills last year!

12. hizzle1281 says: Mar 5, 2010 4:36 PM

@65TossPowerTrap
    TBC had 3 sacks more than JT

13. Grape-Ape says: Mar 5, 2010 5:04 PM

Laxer37 says:
    March 5, 2010 3:38 PM
    Is this the same guy they cut last year?
    I smell championship!
    —-
    No, he had 9.5 sacks for them last year.

14. Ytsejamer1 says: Mar 5, 2010 10:39 PM

I was surprised at the number. They don’t like paying really good performing players that much money. But TBC is a good system player and we get good enough production out of him (against the Bills). Good for him.

15. Zach says: Mar 6, 2010 10:55 AM

@yarlmak
    Oh I’m sorry, it’s Bill Belichick so no one is allowed to question any of his moves, sorry I forgot the rules.
    @Grape-Ape
    They did cut him last season, in October, and then resigned him the next day.