Vanden Bosch: Schwartz convinced me Lions are turning around

New Detroit Lions defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch says head coach Jim Schwartz, who was his defensive coordinator in Tennessee, made an impressive sales pitch, starting at his doorstep as soon as the free agency period started at 11 p.m. Central Thursday.

I was shocked,” Vanden Bosch said on WDFN in Detroit, per SportsRadioInterviews.com. “I was gearing up all day waiting for 11:00 – it was 11:00 my time – waiting for phone calls to see what we were going to do. My wife was up with me watching the Real Housewives of Orange County or something. Coach Schwartz called me right at 11:00 and said, ‘I’m a block from your house. Can you give me a minute?’ He had sent me a text that I missed about a minute before that that said, ‘I could be anywhere right now, but I’m coming to talk to you because you’re the guy I want.’”

Anyway, Vanden Bosch admits that he was skeptical of the Lions franchise at first, but talking to Schwartz (not to mention seeing the four-year, $26 million deal the Lions were offering) made Vanden Bosch decide that Detroit was the place for him.

“I had a lot of doubts and had a lot of questions,” Vanden Bosch said. “Speaking with Coach Schwartz and hearing his optimism and his plans for the off-season, I got excited. Having played for Coach Schwartz, I have ultimate faith in him. It can be incredibly gratifying to be a part of something special and to be a part of a turnaround. I think that’s the way we’re headed.”

Lions fans who have watched the team go 2-30 in the last two years and 42-118 in the last decade can only hope Vanden Bosch is right.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Vanden Bosch: Schwartz convinced me Lions are turning around”
  1. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Mar 6, 2010 2:20 PM

Well, they really have no way to go but up.

2. VikesCan'tBuyARing says: Mar 6, 2010 2:21 PM

Florio: can you please write multiple topics, highlighting this blatant tampering? That is, after all, your specialty.

3. Ponch77 says: Mar 6, 2010 2:21 PM

Money blurs the mind.

4. Soia311 says: Mar 6, 2010 2:26 PM

Schwartz is biting off Lovie Smith.

5. Winston Wolfe says: Mar 6, 2010 2:26 PM

and Schwartz also convinced me the Lions would give me more money than anyone else.

6. nerd says: Mar 6, 2010 2:28 PM

The Corey Williams signing convinced me they’re not.

7. JaggedMark says: Mar 6, 2010 2:29 PM

Detroit is coming. You can write that down.

8. Zeppelin53 says: Mar 6, 2010 2:33 PM

As a head coach, it remains to be seen how Jim Schwartz will be, but he’s always been HIGHLY respected around the league. Frankly he should have had a head coaching job much sooner. I actually don’t doubt the Lions will turn around under him. I’m not saying they’ll win the Super Bowl or anything, but I’ll bet they get to the playoffs a time or two.

9. DocBG says: Mar 6, 2010 2:35 PM

another 50 years in the toilet for detroit. bosch is filthy as a player, so it makes good sense.
    seriously, when did the NFC North start filling up with the amount of douchebags that it has now? Cuntler, Peppers, Bosch, everyone in wisconsin…. its just gets worse and worse every year, thankfully the vikes are here to provide a little counter-weight.

10. bigfog says: Mar 6, 2010 2:39 PM

After their signing of Burleson, I won’t hold my breath.

11. Sparrowhawk says: Mar 6, 2010 2:41 PM

So it wasn’t the ridiculously over-priced contract that won Kyle over…

12. onesweetworld says: Mar 6, 2010 2:43 PM

He has 26million reasons to be excited

13. hope4sbvictory says: Mar 6, 2010 2:46 PM

I like the Lions’ moves. Corey Williams-Sammie Lee Hill-Kyle Vanden Bosch is a pretty good defensive line. At least average. They have a decent linebacking corps, and a good young player in Louis Delmas. Plug in some decent cover guys on the edge and a speed rusher and Detroit has a chance to have a decent defense.

14. Larry David says: Mar 6, 2010 2:46 PM

Unfortunately for Detroit, they put their franchise in the hands of Matthew Stafford, a good not great QB that will never win a superbowl.

15. StreetBaller says: Mar 6, 2010 2:53 PM

DocBG
    I hope you were being sarcastic about the “Party boat” vikings!

16. ToledoLions says: Mar 6, 2010 2:53 PM

I think and hope he is right about the Lions turning it around. They are making good decisions in free agency in getting guys they need not just signing guys just to show effort in free agency like Millen did. They had a great draft last year that brought a lot of young, very talented players to the team. And if they sign one or two more quality free agents at positions of need it will free up the draft a little bit. Allowing them to go BPA instead of reaching for a guy just because they need to fill a certain position. I’m hopeful, but then again I’ve been hopeful for about 20 years. Something feels different about the guys in charge now though. They are smart and have shown, so far, that they are more than capable of making good moves and having an eye for talent.
    And don’t say anything about the Burleson contract. Go back over the past 4-5 years and look at the contracts that receivers of Burleson’s caliber and worse have gotten. They have mostly been between $30-$50 mil. contracts. Sure the $11 mil. guaranteed seems a bit steep but $10 mil. of that will be paid this year in the uncapped year. So really almost none of that will count against the salary cap when/if it comes back.
    Laveranues Coles: 4 yrs. $27.5 mil. – 2009
    Bernard Berrian: 6 yrs. $43.4 mil. – 2008
    (Befor Berrian signed he was about par with Burleson. You could argue he still, just on a much better offense last year.)
    T.J. Houshmandzadeh: 5 yrs. $40 mil. – 2009
    (At age 31! And Burleson ended up being the better receiver.)
    I could go on and on and on. but I think you (the ones that aren’t brain dead) get my point. Going off of the trend over the past 4-5 years the Lions actually got a good deal. The guaranteed money is a bit high but like I said, it’s an uncapped year and most of it will be paid in 2010.

17. jamesz23 says: Mar 6, 2010 2:53 PM

Favre is the king of all douchebags and he’s your QB DocBg. He’s the 1 who cries at fake press conferences, talks to other teams to give them inside info on his old team, makes sure every offseason is about him by dragging out half a decade of will I or won’t I. He’s playing for the love of the game it has nothing to do with stats. Yeah right – 300 consecutive games played, 500 tds and staying a step ahead of Peyton is the only reason he’ll be back.

18. Flipadelphia says: Mar 6, 2010 2:56 PM

DocBG says:
    March 6, 2010 2:35 PM
    LOL. Yeah no D-Bags in Minn….Jared Allen is the king douche in the NFL and Favre is probably a close second. Chilly is not much better either with his newfangled burger king drive thru mic.

19. Larry David says: Mar 6, 2010 3:04 PM

20. ToledoLions says: Mar 6, 2010 3:06 PM

@ DocBG,
    A vikings fan calling Bosch filthy? Have you seen your mullet wearing, Bush Light drinking, cutoof NASCAR tee-shirt wearing, shart stain, loud mouth, douchebag, trash-stache having DE by the name of Jared Allen?????
    He is the filthiest nastiest ugly mofo in the NFL.
    I don’t care how good he is. I couldn’t never root for a guy who is as disgusting as him. And you are the only fan base who would beg a guy who you hated more than anything for 13 yearsto come be your QB. Get off the computer you have a lot of lap work to do on Favre. He’s not gonna appreciate you guys taking breaks to make fun of other teams. He wants you to focus on only him. Even if that does mean putting off getting your GED and your subsequent plans to move out of your parents house after that.
    @bigfog,
    Your an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could give you a big list of average wide receivers who’s contract is worse than Burleson’s, and Burleson is better than almost all of them.

21. Drat says: Mar 6, 2010 3:11 PM

The mythical figment that the Lions have turned things around has been a popular theme of media and of the loser coach, what’s his name. I don’t see it. They won two games? Lost to the Rams? The only team keeping the Rams from matching the Lions infamous 0-16 was … the Lions. Martz won 7 games with the Lions only three seasons ago, and put a QB in the Pro Bowl. It will be a long time coming before the Lions reach 7 wins again.

22. ToledoLions says: Mar 6, 2010 3:11 PM

Don’t mind the Minnesota fans. They are just bitter because they have 4 more months of winter and they just lost their only good RB. Plus they now realize that the DE’s in the division are getting better. Which means they can’t mask the shittiness of Mckinnie by having him play against the worst pass rushing division in the league anymore. Plus his career is done anyways.

23. Lex Luger says: Mar 6, 2010 3:12 PM

Minnesota as a whole isnt so bad, but the twin cities is the world capitol of douchery.
    Also, Vanden Bosch is for the most part washed up and this contract he got is ridiculous.
    Apparently NFC north is home of most overpowered DL in nfl.
    Jared Allen, Peppers, VandenBosch, Tommy Harris, and so on

24. Drat says: Mar 6, 2010 3:18 PM

25. Treezs says: Mar 6, 2010 3:24 PM

I would probably say shit tastes good for 26 million..

26. phillyeagleschamps says: Mar 6, 2010 3:24 PM

The Detriot Raiders will be 2-14….

27. TiceWasBetter says: Mar 6, 2010 3:28 PM

Was Charles Rogers passing out his special brownies after another day of being the master of the custodial arts at the Lions facilities??
    Minnesota is a nice place to live, too bad so many ‘sconies have to ruin it for the rest of the world by living here and being total dicks on this sight.
    But hey, thats why Farve wanted to play in MN where is his wife and kids could go shopping at places other then Menards and Fleet Farm

28. staff infection says: Mar 6, 2010 3:30 PM

The new lions management actually is doing the right things to make this team better. The Roy Williams trade to dallas was thievery. Their first four draft picks (stafford, pettigrew, delmas, levy) were all major contributors last year. Its going to take a long time to turn around the lions but if they continue to draft well and and address needs in free agency this team can make the playoffs in 3 years.
    @larry david
    stafford can make every throw on the field. his arm is a cannon. once he learns how to read the defense he will be a stud

29. phillyeagleschamps says: Mar 6, 2010 3:32 PM

Vanden Bosch: I have been sniffing glue for the past 48 hours.
    With the 2012 number one pick: “The Detriot Lions select”………………………………

30. GB3Pack4 says: Mar 6, 2010 3:37 PM

I’m excited for the Lions. They HAVE been making some good decisions. If they manage to turn things around …
    and Chi’s shopping proves to be high-end quality, not just high-end cost …
    and the Pack finally gets the line right & some decent pass protection …
    and the Vikes find somebody to back up AP and some Gorilla Glue for his fingers …
    and a replacement for McKinnie, it can only make the fight fiercer and the division tougher – bringing out the best in everybody.
    That way when the Packers take the title, it’ll mean more …

31. jamesz23 says: Mar 6, 2010 3:41 PM

At least people in Wisconsin know how to spell the word ‘site’. Being on this website for a year I can honestly say it’s a definite 50-50 between Vikings and Packers fans trying to stir things up with the other fan base. This article alone has 1 DocBg bringing up Wisconsin on a story that had nothing to do about them, not a Packers fan bringing up Minnesota.

32. favre uses allens mullet as handlebars says: Mar 6, 2010 3:47 PM

jamesz23 says:
    March 6, 2010 2:53 PM
    ————————————————
    Well said. Congrats to the Saints and theyre fans!

33. Grizzlygroundhog says: Mar 6, 2010 4:37 PM

I’m a die hard lions fan and it absolutely pisses me off how people say Matthew Stafford Sucks. It’s just frustrating. Just imagine 2 years ago this team was 0-16, hey you trying being a QB for this team who got rid of half their players and front office, give him a few years and he’ll be up there with the other QBs

34. nobodybeatsdawiz says: Mar 6, 2010 4:38 PM

i hope spring comes quickly, you nfc norther’s need to get out of the cave and take a breath of fresh air

35. polishkingski says: Mar 6, 2010 5:00 PM

it just dawned on me while reading these comments….the nfc north has the most obnoxious fans of any division. why is that? i thought the nfc east was formally but the level of immaturity these fans bring with their posts is just incredible. at least the nfc east fans know what there talking about.

36. ToledoLions says: Mar 6, 2010 6:06 PM

@polishkingski ,
    Yea because Cowboy fans are so reasonable and knowledgeable. And redskins fans know what they’re talking about when they love every high priced waste of space they sign. And eagles fans, well they had a jail in their stadium. That’s pathetic. I haven’t ran into a lot of Giants fans because i could care less about the team or reading any articles about them to see how they are. Cowboy fans are the joke of the league. 1990′s bandwagon jumpers who consider themselves real fans. Anybody who has ever became a fan of a team because they were the popular winning team aren’t real fans.
    By the way the most obnoxious uninformed ignorant guy on this entire site is an NFC East fan.
    Mr. VoxVeritas himself.

37. iloveflorio says: Mar 6, 2010 11:57 PM

“Uh oh. Schwartz sent Vanden Bosch a minute before the free agency period started?”
    Florio, free agency starts at 12Am Eastern time. Since Tennessee is in the central time zone it’s not tampering.