Peppers could be headed for left side in Chicago

Vikings left tackle Bryant McKinnie has had a bad few weeks.  Suddenly, however, the dark clouds are parting.

Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune reports that, while the Bears are likely to use defensive end Julius Peppers on both the left side and the right side, coach Lovie Smith could end up using him primarily on the left side.

If so, Peppers won’t be lining up against McKinnie when the Bears play the Vikings twice in 2010.

As Biggs explains it, Smith typically puts his better pass rusher on the left side, securing a better matchup against the tackle who is usually more slow-footed than the guy who is typically a superior pass blocker.

Peppers routinely beat McKinnie during a Sunday night game between his former team, the Panthers, and the Vikings in December.

So maybe Bryant McKinnie won’t face similar abuse in 2010.

Meanwhile, Phil Loadholt just peed a little.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Peppers could be headed for left side in Chicago”
  1. Howie Handles says: Mar 7, 2010 3:12 PM

slow news day?
    Tomorrow’s lead:
    Peppers left Carolina for more money.

2. FumbleNuts says: Mar 7, 2010 3:14 PM

Coach Lovie Smith could end up using him primarily on the left side.
    I smell a smokescreen.

3. vikes_favre says: Mar 7, 2010 3:14 PM

I’m sure they will go to the more favorable matchup in any given game. McKinnie should still be peeing himself.

4. 40for58 says: Mar 7, 2010 3:15 PM

I remember when it was announces Peppers wasn’t coming back to the Panthers there were actually Packler fans who thought they would be able to pick him up. What a freakin joke.

5. FootballOnly says: Mar 7, 2010 3:16 PM

6. DSMERGS says: Mar 7, 2010 3:21 PM

meanwhile, florio writes a pointless post

7. The Devil says: Mar 7, 2010 3:21 PM

do they wear diapers when they pee a little or do they just let the love flow?

8. Hooby says: Mar 7, 2010 3:22 PM

*insert liveblog-style mckinnie joke*

9. sportsguy15478 says: Mar 7, 2010 3:22 PM

Who cares

10. DSMERGS says: Mar 7, 2010 3:25 PM

Meanwhile, the bears still suck

11. mnmaverick says: Mar 7, 2010 3:28 PM

Loadholt is slower than McKinnie is. That’s the funny part.

12. hizzle1281 says: Mar 7, 2010 3:30 PM

i just farted

13. azbears says: Mar 7, 2010 3:41 PM

It doesn’t matter where Lovie puts him. I am sure A. Rogers just “Pee’d” a little on Friday when Da Bears signed Peppers. Can’t say for sure, but I’m sure Favre won’t be back to face the Bears D twice a year.

14. azbears says: Mar 7, 2010 3:43 PM

@Vikes_Farve
    I completely agree with you. I can easily seen him and a few others being switched every few games given the matchup. I know they have done it in the past as most teams do

15. Brewster says: Mar 7, 2010 3:46 PM

Florio, your humor has become predictable although still enjoyable..
    As soon as I read the last line in the article about Loadholt I immediately knew you had written the piece.

16. onesweetworld says: Mar 7, 2010 3:46 PM

And in other news the bears will still finish next year out of the playoffs

17. stiller43 says: Mar 7, 2010 3:57 PM

So…instead of using your best pass rusher on (primarily) the QB’s blindside, you chose to use him on the side where the QB can see him coming all along…great.

18. dlodown1 says: Mar 7, 2010 4:21 PM

The Vikings better be shitting their pants right now. Hey little purple, you better teach your great back how to hang onto the ball, reminds me of Rashan Salam. Don’t worry, only 1 year until you guys hit the re-build button anyway. Favre=dead man walking…

19. bobbyyyd says: Mar 7, 2010 4:22 PM

The bears still suck. urlacher sucks, briggs sucks
    Peppers left a defense with jon beason, thomas davis
    For the 6-7 games peppers shows up in you’ll see a great athlete. (Remember those games will be meaningless games) since we all know what Pep does when the stakes are high. he hides. I cant wait to see him play when the weather is 0 with 30 MPH winds. all huddled up hands in the warmers, he might as well just play 6-7 games a season

20. cadillacjosh says: Mar 7, 2010 4:30 PM

“bobbyyyd”
    I dont know how else to say it. That is literally one of the stupidest things I’ve ever read in my entire life.

21. azbears says: Mar 7, 2010 4:42 PM

Favre just retired again…

22. JoeyJoeJoeJr.Shabadoooo says: Mar 7, 2010 4:44 PM

huh, and no mention of the porous offensive line of the green bay packers?
    how very like florio.

23. TrentDilferisaDouche says: Mar 7, 2010 4:45 PM

@dlo

24. SwedishMurderMachine says: Mar 7, 2010 5:06 PM

McKinnie and Peppers will have a rematch at Ashley Shafer BMW.

25. Bucfs says: Mar 7, 2010 5:14 PM

lame joke last sentence
    peppers is overrated and getting old. he’ll get injured in week 3 and go on IR

26. Stuff-it says: Mar 7, 2010 5:39 PM

Last year Cutler was the savior and this year its Julie. We’ll see in December how thats workin for ya.

27. Farves sweet Hair says: Mar 7, 2010 6:05 PM

Hey AZBears Douche,
    It doesn’t matter who Da Bears sign, they will suck. Remember idiot its the Bears organization were talking about.
    Keep dreaming & thinking anout 1985.

28. bearpaw says: Mar 7, 2010 6:20 PM

Aaron Rodgers faces many great passrushers each year. He faces Matthews and Jenkins in practice. He see’s Jared Allen twice a year.
    So big deal. GB plays Chicago..Peppers has 2 sacks and GB still wins 23-17 because Cutler throws 3 picks to Woodson and Collins.
    Articles and the comments from 12 year old fans like this are just nonsense. Yes,Peppers is a great passrusher.
    Yes,when you face the Bears it changes what you gameplan for.
    Yes,assuming the defense isn’t ravaged by injuries this should result in 2 or 3 more wins for them.
    No..nobody in Minnesota or Green Bay is pissing anywhere but into a toilet.
    Urlacher is old..Briggs is overrated at this stage of his career..the secondary is pedestrian and other than Harris,Peppers and Brown nobody on that D scares anyone and they aren’t going to get an impact S unless they trade up.
    I respect the Bears and I admire their aggressiveness. I wish Ted would step on the gas a little.
    But am I ‘scared’?
    And no real Packer fan had any hope of seeing Peppers in GB. Ted only signs players once every 3 years and he only pursues players who have NO competition for their services so Ted isn’t even going to call an agent until May.
    The Packer fans saying Peppers would come here are 12 year’s playing Madden.

29. Howie Handles says: Mar 7, 2010 6:24 PM

“Vikes are NFC north champs for the second year in a row. Come back and talk shit after your team wins something.”
    Isn’t that like winning the AL Central? Wake me up when the Vikes make a SB.

30. Howie Handles says: Mar 7, 2010 6:27 PM

“If I were the vikings or packers, I wouldn’t worry too much…..the Bears overpaid for a guy that only brings it about 1 out of every 5-6 gms. Can’t figure out why everyone thinks it’s such a good move…..look at his stats since coming into the league and also remember, the Bears didn’t even pay Peppers what HE THINKS HE’S WORTH, so I don’t look for him to be highly motivated.”
    Come up with an original thought.
    Considering the NFP, and his former teammates and coaches say that he DOES bring it every game, I would believe their opinions carry more weight than some dude sitting in his footy pjs in front of his pc.

31. brasho says: Mar 7, 2010 6:32 PM

Newsflash, Florio. Julius Peppers has probably spent 90% of the snaps in his career on the left side. This is not a big deal nor is it a revelation.

32. Philtration says: Mar 7, 2010 6:40 PM

# 40for58 says: March 7, 2010 3:15 PM
    =====================================
    That was when Peppers was one of the best DEs in the NFL.
    Of course now that he will be playing in Chicago he is an overpaid stiff.
    What a waste of money!
    That is how the cheesedicks operate (and the pigtail Viking fans most of the time)
    Idiots.

33. Juicebox says: Mar 7, 2010 6:57 PM

@TrentDilferisaDouche,
    Come back and talk $h*t when the Vikings actually win a SB.

34. bobbyyyd says: Mar 7, 2010 7:47 PM

@cadillacjosh
    How this that stupid? I have gone to every panther game for the past 2 seasons. Peppers only shows up for 6-7 games a year. Now that he got paid, look for him to probably show up for about 4.

35. patpatriotagain says: Mar 8, 2010 12:58 AM

on another bad team, it’s only a matter of time until a teamate calls him out for not playing hard.

36. Rex Grossman says: Mar 8, 2010 12:09 PM

@cadillacjosh
    —————————————————
    How does sitting in the bleachers make your thoughts more legitimate than everyone else’s?
    I’ve been to many Bears games. And Rex Grossman really has a cannon!