ACC reaches out to NFL Network regarding football rights

As it turns out, NFL Network’s limited foray into college football broadcasting could be growing.

Considerably.

John Ourand and Michael Smith of SportsBusiness Journal report that the ACC has “reached out” to NFL Network regarding the possible purchase of the conference’s broadcasting rights for “a package” of its football games.

The ACC currently is one week into a 60-day exclusive window with ESPN.  If a deal isn’t completed by the end of April, the ACC will be able to go elsewhere.

Other candidates include FOX and Versus, which is owned by Comcast.

The current combined football and basketball package, per SBJ, pays the ACC $70 million per year.  The ACC reportedly has aimed for $120 million annually for its new deal.

(Good luck with all that.)

It’s unknown whether NFLN has an interest in expanding its coverage of live college football games, but it stands to reason that more cable providers (including Time Warner) would be inclined to add the league-owned operation to its lineup if the slate of live broadcasts were to grow.

NFLN recently struck a deal to televise games of the reconstituted Arena Football League, which will resume play soon.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
13 Responses to “ACC reaches out to NFL Network regarding football rights”
  1. hizzle1281 says: Mar 8, 2010 11:24 AM

2. lololnpnp says: Mar 8, 2010 11:29 AM

Sweet, if the NFL went this route they could be associated with one of the premier FAIL conferences in college football. If nothing else it would give Deion greater opportunity to recruit for his agent…

3. smuthe-eagle says: Mar 8, 2010 11:38 AM

For those of us that aren’t into college football, like myself, I hate the idea. The channel is called NFL network, not the Every type of Football network. I love the NFL but could care less about other sports and don’t think they should be on the NFL Network, period.

4. The Real Shuxion says: Mar 8, 2010 11:49 AM

Yay, the 7th best conference in the country on TV.
    Honestly, I will watch any two football teams play and enjoy it (I enjoyed the UFL) but being psyched about the ACC is the equivilent to being psyched you were able to talk the hooker down to $300.
    1. SEC
    2. Big 12
    3. Big 10
    4. Mountain West
    5. Pac10
    6. WAC
    7. ACC (MAC and BE will pass in no time)
    8. Big East (Soon to be climbing to 7)

5. 8man says: Mar 8, 2010 11:57 AM

Assuming that the network they leave continues to broadcast other conference games, this could be an increase in the total volume of college football games available to view on any give Saturday.
    ACC football is better than no football. We could all win.

6. highplainsdrifter says: Mar 8, 2010 12:09 PM

I’m still trying to figure out what I would least rather be locked in a room and forced to watch: ACC football, WNBA, or Star Trek.

7. DolphinsKing7 says: Mar 8, 2010 12:14 PM

8. DolphinsKing7 says: Mar 8, 2010 12:17 PM

For all you donkey who don’t care to watch college football, where do you think you NFL stars come from? Do they just magically show up on draft day and say I want to play in the league. Maybe you should watch college, since they play harder in college and with injuries. Not this I have turf toe and I’m out for 3 weeks. In college they wrap up that turf toe and keep playing because the NFL scouts look for toughness too! So bring on the ACC! I’d perfer to watch the SEC, even though I’m a Hokie and were ACC. It’s a start.

9. snnyjcbs says: Mar 8, 2010 12:39 PM

I watch the NFL Network for Pro Football. If they start to load up with all kinds of College crap I will stop watching.
    I do not mind if they play a few big games but if I turn to the station to get my NFL Fix and I keep getting College crap I am finding something else to do with my time.
    Jerry Glanville says it all as how I feel about College ball and here is the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9orvzqAffw

10. bigtrav425 says: Mar 8, 2010 12:51 PM

Horrible idea fora few reasons.its the NFL network not college and nfl network.2nd NFL network is a “PREMIUM” channel so u have to have digital cable which is more obviously then basic.3rd you have people like me who cant afford cable gettin screwed over again by having even more games on cable that we cant watch! even tho it is the ACC it still gives us options when they are on regular tv

11. smuthe-eagle says: Mar 8, 2010 1:12 PM

DolphinsKing7, no one says that people who don’t watch college football are naive enough to think players “magically” show up as you put it. That doesn’t mean we have to watch them play college ball. I’ll watch them when they become pro’s, thank you very much. Look how many college STUD’s become pro DUD’s. It’s a totally different game that I’m not interested in watching and we have our right to not watch if we so choose.

12. AllThat says: Mar 8, 2010 1:32 PM

What’s next? Lacrosse?

13. bseer says: Mar 8, 2010 4:40 PM

NFLN needs more content to justify their place on in the cable line up. While the ACC is not the premier college football league they are well know for basketball which would help fill in the NFLN programming schedule.
    That said, this seems like a poor bargaining ploy to get more $$$’s from ESPN. Are things going that badly?