Steelers bring back Randle El, Ryan Clark

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that receiver Antwaan Randle El has agreed to a three-year contract with the Steelers; Aaron Wilson has posted on Twitter than Ryan Clark has agreed to terms with the Steelers after the door on his career there presumably had been closed.

Clark told Josina Anderson of FOX 31 in Denver that it’s a four-year deal.  “My plan was to retire a Steeler,” he said.  “It took a little longer than I wanted to get this deal done.”

The developments are bad news for receiver Limas Sweed and free-agent safety Tyrone Carter.  Sweed undoubtedly will be dumped; Carter undoubtedly won’t be re-signed.

Clark recently visited Miami, and he was with the Dolphins earlier today, negotiating possible terms.

Permalink 69 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Contracts, Miami Dolphins, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
69 Responses to “Steelers bring back Randle El, Ryan Clark”
  1. Calir says: Mar 8, 2010 7:08 PM

Randle El is being brought back to QB due to recent events.

2. Tony Snow says: Mar 8, 2010 7:09 PM

WOW!!!

3. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Mar 8, 2010 7:12 PM

i would’ve took Antonio Bryant over Randle El

4. Ches says: Mar 8, 2010 7:12 PM

Wow Limas Sweed is what, a third year player?
    I bet he will get picked up somewhere.

5. funi says: Mar 8, 2010 7:13 PM

Bye-bye Sweed, you overrated Texas hick! He could not even catch a cold!

6. steelman724 says: Mar 8, 2010 7:14 PM

El Yeah!

7. BigRob says: Mar 8, 2010 7:14 PM

STFU Dolphins! Clark decided he’d rather look good with Polamalu than crap with the Dolphins.

8. MiamiMan90 says: Mar 8, 2010 7:14 PM

Well that really pisses me off. Miami has Otogwe and Sharper to look at before settling for a Safety in the draft.

9. stnmmc says: Mar 8, 2010 7:15 PM

“On the same day that the Steelers signed receiver Randle El and safety Will Allen, they’ve brought back two guys who by all appearances would never again wear the black helmet with the logo on only one side.”
    Arnaz Battle is feeling left out

10. DanSnyder says: Mar 8, 2010 7:15 PM

lol

11. steelman724 says: Mar 8, 2010 7:15 PM

El Yeah!

12. Steelbird says: Mar 8, 2010 7:17 PM

Great Moves! Randle El and Clark are both PROs and great locker room guys. Looks like we need a new leader or two due to recent developments.

13. JimmyY says: Mar 8, 2010 7:18 PM

Thank you Mr. Calir, my thoughts exactly. If it doesn’t work out for Ben, they have a wildcat QB ready to go.

14. oraph says: Mar 8, 2010 7:18 PM

awesome.. i hope El is back to “returning” punts… or calling fair catch with 20yds of room to run.

15. SomeGuyInIowa says: Mar 8, 2010 7:25 PM

LMAO! Clark got a free trip to Miami for the sole purpose of getting a possible better idea from the Steelers, the only team he wanted to be with in the first place. Wotta jerk, but it is a business right, lol

16. Slow Joe says: Mar 8, 2010 7:25 PM

So, if I read you right, on the same day they signed Randle El, they signed Randle El. That’s an amazing coincidence.

17. Citizen Strange says: Mar 8, 2010 7:28 PM

That TD Randle El threw in the Super Bowl was a thing of beauty. Roethlisberger has never once been able to lead a receiver on a deep ball like that.
    On Roethlisberger’s deep balls his receivers look like they should be waiving for fair catches while they stop dead in their tracks waiting for the ball to get there and the defense closes in.

18. Ravenmaniac says: Mar 8, 2010 7:28 PM

How many receivers can one team have??

19. Holeinone09 says: Mar 8, 2010 7:29 PM

I was hoping there was a chance they could keep Ryan Clark. and Randle El is a veteran that can help on special teams and will clearly displace Sweed. There is also some talk they might try to sign Larry Foote.
    Not a bad free agent day for the good guys.
    GO STEELERS!

20. dude says: Mar 8, 2010 7:30 PM

I guess they signed Randle El twice! That is surprising.

21. Osterhouse says: Mar 8, 2010 7:36 PM

Can I get a job where I just proof read your articles?

22. Outsyder says: Mar 8, 2010 7:37 PM

Did you mean to say receiver Arnaz Battle?

23. The Rural Juror says: Mar 8, 2010 7:37 PM

Sweet. Clark will be back to try and make the huuuge hit and then whiff the opponent all together!

24. Deb says: Mar 8, 2010 7:40 PM

Hello, Mike Dunbar … don’t believe I’ve seen your name before.
    Welcome home, Randle El!!!
    Ryan Clark LOL Okay. Better Clark and Allen than Clark and Carter. Ryan … you need to step it up.

25. BRUTUS9448 says: Mar 8, 2010 7:45 PM

he was using the phins to stick it to the steelers. Clark

26. DoctorK says: Mar 8, 2010 7:50 PM

Great news all around, and it would seem to me that one more DB needs to be drafted, and the O-line still needs a great deal of work. (Didn’t I read they signed a former Bill today)
    As for Ben, look, I’m no fan of the off field behavior. Either the guy has a serious psychological problem that entails young women, or he has incredibly poor judgment. But the reality of this charge is that it’s one person’s word against another. Either in terms of legalese or within the NFL, you’re going to need a great deal of evidence to evoke jail time or suspension time.

27. stiller43 says: Mar 8, 2010 7:50 PM

I can break out the 82 Randle El jersey again! Halelujah!
    Screw it, the 43 looks much better.

28. DoctorK says: Mar 8, 2010 7:53 PM

Let me answer my own question regarding the lineman, from The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and Gerry Dulac,” Also, the Steelers have reached contract agreement with former Buffalo Bills tackle Jonathan Scott (6-foot-6, 318), an unrestricted free agent who started eight games for the Bills in 2009. Scott will be reunited with the Steelers’ new offensive line coach, Sean Kugler, who coached in Buffalo last season.”

29. JPeezy says: Mar 8, 2010 7:53 PM

I bet Willis McGahee is crapping his pants right now. For those of you who forgot, Will Allen was the guy who blew him up ad broke his leg in college in the BCS Title game. Ryan Clark was the guy who knocked him out cold in the AFC Championship game. Both players are now in the Steelers secondary!!!

30. roland2305 says: Mar 8, 2010 8:04 PM

Jeez who’s next Mike Webster & Dwight White…..oh wait nevermind.

31. Tomthebombtracy says: Mar 8, 2010 8:11 PM

Battle and Allen brought in to shore up special teams.
    El for punt returns and depth at receiver in case Sweed never comes back.
    Clark is the third priority piece the Steelers indentfied with Hampton and Reed.
    Ready for the draft!

32. MSWRavens says: Mar 8, 2010 8:11 PM

definitely good moves by my most hated rivals. I was very happy Ryan Clark was leaving…couldn’t believe them stillers were letting him go. Guess not!
    …but I do wonder how much this very un-Steeler like FA flurry is related to concern about Big Ben & the trouble he’s been finding with his little ben…???

33. WTE says: Mar 8, 2010 8:13 PM

Ryan Clark, Hines Ward, Ben Worthlessberger and Matt Cooke.
    What a punk sports town Pittsburgh has become.

34. DieHardSkinsFan21 says: Mar 8, 2010 8:14 PM

Well looks like the squeelers are the one who are reaching this offseason.

35. SDiegoSteel says: Mar 8, 2010 8:17 PM

The Steelers have signed FIVE free agents today – - that’s as many as they signed in the last two years combined. And word is that they want to bring Larry Foote back as well!

36. Shawn says: Mar 8, 2010 8:19 PM

Great Job Steelers!!! Now go sign Leigh Bodden and I will be satisfied. Well then again I would still like to see Joey Porter in a Steeler Jersey again.

37. robhug71 says: Mar 8, 2010 8:28 PM

Thats poor taste roland2305.
    Look at the champs bringing back key puzzle pieces to Super Bowl wins. Now all they need to do is trade up to get Joe Haden and thats what I call a nice offseason.

38. dlodown1 says: Mar 8, 2010 8:28 PM

Ya, Sweed has had a rough start to his career, but the guy isn’t headed straight to the Arena League yet. Someone will take a flier on the guy based on his college credentials. Note to the NFL; don’t judge Texas players by their 40 times, or how well they play in their high school, spread offenses, you’ll get burned everytime. Later Steelers, keep on fading, it’s rather humorous…

39. steeltownpride says: Mar 8, 2010 8:33 PM

Actually what i hear with Clark is simple . The Steelers offer was close to what the Dolphins offered . Where would you rather play ? I think the signing said it all .

40. Deb says: Mar 8, 2010 8:36 PM

@ravenmaniac … Limas Sweed will be exiting.
    @Holeinone09 … Was hoping we might be able to get Larry Foote back, too.
    @roland2305 … God rest them. Then again, given our recent play at center, I wouldn’t mind if Webster stirred from his eternal slumber.

41. Ravenmaniac says: Mar 8, 2010 8:41 PM

42. QB_of_the_Future says: Mar 8, 2010 8:41 PM

I was so pissed @ the Steelers for letting Clark even get to free agency…and now I’m so thrilled they brought him back! And welcome back to the Burgh, El…I hadn’t really noticed you in DC.
    Oh yeah…Limas Sweed? Hit the road, jackass. I’d throw you a plane ticket but you’d drop that, too. Waste of a good draft pick was all you were.
    And what the hell, go ahead and bring back Foote and Peezy. If Ben’s suspended or in the hoosegow, the Steelers will go 6-10, maybe 8-8, so at least make a reunion out of it.
    Wonder if Bettis wants to come back?

43. ibleedblackngold says: Mar 8, 2010 8:42 PM

Great to see we paid some veterans this yr(Clark,Hampton) instead of bein cheap. Casey is a premier nose tackle and Ryan compliments polamalu so well. We also got some safety depth with signing Will Allen today so Ryan Mundy won’t touch the field again. And Welcome back home El, its like you never left. Overall today id the most active days of free agency wev had in a while. I’m starting to smell #7

44. Ravenmaniac says: Mar 8, 2010 8:42 PM

45. Tony Snow says: Mar 8, 2010 8:45 PM

The Steelers are once again jockeying for position, to pick best available player in the draft….again. Bring back Foote and Porter, then extend Mike Tomlins contract. Simply put..”These Guys Get It!”

46. 305phinphan says: Mar 8, 2010 8:48 PM

Maybe he wanted to come back to the Steelers because he knows Big Ben has the hook up on roofies and Clark wanted to get him some young loving.

47. lichnor says: Mar 8, 2010 8:59 PM

I guess it’s nice they brought ARE back as long as they keep him behind Wallace on the depth chart.

48. Ravenmaniac says: Mar 8, 2010 9:23 PM

Tony Snow….you cant be serious….bring back Foote and Porter??? You must not be a steelers fan….I would not be to quick on extending Tomlin..or have they already…..

49. drumbug71 says: Mar 8, 2010 9:29 PM

I think this is the most that the Steelers have done in free agency in 75 years

50. Katmanduu says: Mar 8, 2010 9:47 PM

Maybe…..just maybe, Ben was out celebrating his birthday with his pals. Everyone was having a good time, and some little gold digger figured she could capitalize. Then most of these morons who post here will take their smug looks on their faces to bed with them. As if most of these morons don’t hang with the fellas, especially when they were in their 20s.
    Nice going Florio. Between you and ESPN, you have turned a non-story into a story.

51. steelerfan9598 says: Mar 8, 2010 9:48 PM

Ravenmaniac says: “Jpeezy…you are probably right…Willis is looking at Ryan and Allen….but so is Anquan Boldin and he cant wait to torch your secondary…..”
    He of the whopping 4 TD receptions? Yes, quite the burner.
    “Boldin created initial concerns of the NFL scouts after he registered a relatively slow 4.71 time in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine”
    That was eight years ago. I’m sure he’s faster now.

52. Ravenmaniac says: Mar 8, 2010 9:58 PM

Deb….good point..I forgot about Limas….I really thought that guy was going to well at this level…

53. i'm president charlie! says: Mar 8, 2010 10:00 PM

Real excited to see Randle El back in black and gold.
    The Steelers draft needs are (in no particular order)..offensive lineman (hopefully center), defensive lineman, and cornerback.
    HERE WE GO STEELERS! HERE WE GO!

54. Klytus says: Mar 8, 2010 10:05 PM

Wow, this is great news. It’s almost like a “Welcome Home!”. Now if they can get that duffous of a quarterback to stop drinking like a fish. 4 bars in one night? He should have stopped at three. Perhaps, Ben has a drinking problem?
    GO STEELERS!

55. this class sucks says: Mar 8, 2010 10:10 PM

I do not understand why so many people are down on Tomlin. 0 losing season and 2 playoff berths and 1 super bowl.
    That is awesome that we got Clark, and Randle el back. I wouldn’t count out getting Tyrone Carter back either.

56. Ravenmaniac says: Mar 8, 2010 10:10 PM

You are right steelerfan…….what crap trade by the Ravens!!
    Wasnt Ryan Clark a big part of your incredible secondary this past year??? I am sure he will be a lot better in 2010…..

57. Ravenmaniac says: Mar 8, 2010 10:12 PM

katmanduu….a non-story…really???
    Florio got you to comment on it though..didnt he..

58. DeeDubb says: Mar 8, 2010 10:18 PM

Good for Randle El. Maybe the Steelers can find a spot for him in their offense. It’s too bad the Skins threw all that money at him back in ’06. Overall, he was a disappointment as a Redskin but through it all he was a class act.

59. i'm president charlie! says: Mar 8, 2010 10:42 PM

Boldin is one of my favorite receivers in the league. I love his physical style of play and toughness. But, Boldin has made his career living in the shadow of Larry Fitz. Pushing 30 years old, Boldin will get his first chance at being the #1 receiver. No longer will he be able to rely on single coverage created by teams being forced to double team Fitzgerald on the other side of the offense. I’m not saying that he won’t be effective, but he still has to prove he can stay healthy and be a #1 wide receiver.

60. thepittsburghkid says: Mar 8, 2010 10:55 PM

We are Pittsburgh and we are better than you.

61. nozzleman454 says: Mar 8, 2010 11:28 PM

Great News! I wondered about El when I heard he was released but then thought Nah! And I am especially shocked to see Clark back!! I figured once we brought in Will Allen it was a sure fire thing he wouldnt be back. Guess he realized he wasn’t going to get all he wanted. Would like to see Liegh Bodden yet to help competiton at CB. Bring on the draft and Bring in Iupati!

62. Nambla Limbaugh says: Mar 9, 2010 3:30 AM

Stiller fans working so hard to pretend they’re excited about these nothing signings to their 3rd place also-ran squad. Hilarious! Anything to distract from rape chat.

63. pokerpro7s says: Mar 9, 2010 4:32 AM

Welcome back Randle El!

64. fin4life says: Mar 9, 2010 6:38 AM

Glad the squealers kept Clark. The last thing we needed was another squealers outcast in the twilight of his career. We will find a safety in the draft. While we are looking there will be a turnstile posted at our five yard line in place of Gibril Wilson and it will be an upgrade because somebody might accidentally trip over it and tackle themselves. Squealers, good luck with your offense while your franchise QB is locked up.

65. Maddog says: Mar 9, 2010 7:54 AM

fin4life says:
    March 9, 2010 6:38 AM
    ——————————————–
    If you didn’t want him you wouldn’t be reading this article and posting a response.

66. shaunypoo says: Mar 9, 2010 8:57 AM

Looks like Tomlin is trying to rebuild the Super Bowl teams that Cowher built.

67. fin4life says: Mar 9, 2010 10:12 AM

@Maddog – Negative – I am reading this and replying because I am bored out of my skull and I can’t decide which I’m happier about, getting rid of Peezy or never signing Clark. I just made up my mind – getting rid of Peezy. His useful days on the field are behind him, he should take up the reigns of Mike Vick’s old dog fighting operation. I bet he’d be great at that.

68. Deb says: Mar 9, 2010 12:25 PM

@Ravenmaniac …
    I think Sweed could still be a terrific NFL receiver–just not for us. He’s got the tough part nailed. He can run complex routes and get open deep. But he’s got it in his head that he can’t catch–and the fans have it in their heads, too. So everytime he comes open, everyone’s waiting for him to fail. And when he fails, the boo-birds rain down on him. If he works on his hands, works with a sports psych on his head, and gets a fresh start with new fans, he may be just fine.
    I’d like Foote to come back–nothing wrong with his play and we could use the depth.

69. Lombardi 6 says: Mar 9, 2010 1:28 PM

@Ravenmaniac———->>Boldin runs a 6.8 Forty..