Willie Clark says he won't testify

The man accused of killing Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams has decided not to testify in his own defense.

But the decision isn’t the result of the application of legal strategy.  Clark says he has received threats on the matter.

I choose not to,” Clark told Judge Christina Habas, according to the Denver Post.  “I received threats about this issue right here about me testifying or not. . . .  I actually wanted to [testify].  But I can’t protect my family so why would I put myself in that situation?”

Clark’s lawyer said that the threats are not “amorphous” or “imaginary.”  It’s unclear why Clark or his family would face danger if he were to take the witness stand in his own defense.

Criminal defendants routinely choose not to testify at trial.  Those that opt to talk risk being twisted into repeated contradictions and admissions.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Legal, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
15 Responses to “Willie Clark says he won't testify”
  1. FireJerryJones says: Mar 8, 2010 3:20 PM

sounds like Jerry Seinfeld.
    I choose…. not to run.

2. favres_right_tendon says: Mar 8, 2010 3:21 PM

Nice try Willie! Your ‘threats about testifying’ is as truthful as OJ saying he is out looking for the real killer.
    Enjoy the lethal ejection asshole.

3. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Mar 8, 2010 3:23 PM

i think Willie Clark has had more articles written then that QB in pittsburg…u kno ben rothliesberger who is accused of sexual assault AGAIN

4. Big Stretch says: Mar 8, 2010 3:23 PM

What a story about someone getting killed and no Ray Lewis reference?

5. HawgNSonsTV says: Mar 8, 2010 3:24 PM

That would be called impeaching himself!…I know this from the many times I had to defend myself…after a parasite lawyer tried to charge me $15,000 for a case! …and I WON!

6. Route36West says: Mar 8, 2010 3:40 PM

Florio are you sure you use to be a lawyer?
    Its pretty obvious what hes trying to do. Hes trying to make it look like he was going to testify and say something that other “Bad Guys” wouldnt like that would clear his name, but now hes getting threats that these ” Bad Guys” will hurt his family if he talks. So now because of that he cant get up there and clear his name that he really really really wanted to do.
    Either that are hes trying to say that Darrent Williams friends/family are threating him not to take the stand or they will hurt his family. To try to make himself look like the victim.
    For a so called lawyer it should be pretty obvious that hes just trying to manipulate the jury into feeling sorry for him or to try to cast doubt in their mind . Its criminal 101 Watch some Law and Order reruns or something.

7. fatso says: Mar 8, 2010 3:47 PM

fry bitch fry!!!!

8. Maddog says: Mar 8, 2010 3:53 PM

Route36West says:
    March 8, 2010 3:40 PM
    Florio are you sure you use to be a lawyer?
    _____________________________
    Yeah, I’m sure the jury was present when Clark informed the judge of his reasons for not testifying. You need to watch a little less Law and Order.

9. wildstile says: Mar 8, 2010 4:14 PM

@favres_right_tendon Lethal ejection?????LOL

10. Tim Couch says says: Mar 8, 2010 4:19 PM

give him the chair.

11. slipkid says: Mar 8, 2010 4:40 PM

this case wouldnt be on law and order unless they changed the race of the defendant.

12. Seahawks80 says: Mar 8, 2010 4:47 PM

Have fun being bubba’s girlfriend Willie!!!

13. SATAN567 says: Mar 8, 2010 5:05 PM

Firing squad. I’ll volunteer to be the shooter with the live ammo.

14. ncm42 says: Mar 8, 2010 5:40 PM

“Those that opt to talk risk being twisted into repeated contradictions and admissions.”
    Or they risk telling…y’know…the truth…

15. OscarMooseFarmer says: Mar 8, 2010 5:55 PM

@favres right tendon: Ejection….really?