Anderson will visit Seahawks first, apologizes to Browns fans

D. Anderson2cle.jpgFirst, the news. Derek Anderson already has two visits on his agenda: Thursday with the Seahawks and Friday with the Cardinals, according to ESPN’s James Walker.

Anderson may be a fallback plan in Seattle to getting one of the Eagles quarterbacks.

Now, the silly stuff.  Anderson has quickly apologized to Browns fans for saying they are ruthless, they don’t deserve a winner, and they caused Ernest Byner to fumble.  (We made up that last part.)

“I said some things . . . earlier that I regret,” Anderson said in a statement.  “Those of you who got to know me
personally from covering the Browns over the past five years, know this
was out of character for me. I wasn’t taken out of context, but I was
speaking out of my frustration after my career with the Browns came to a
close.

“I had some great times playing in Cleveland, especially during the
2007 season and I met some great people and made many lifelong friends
along the way. I’m looking forward to starting a new chapter in my
life.”

Our Anderson Translator says: “The Browns fans are ruthless, they don’t deserve a winner, I hate Eric Mangini, but I wish I didn’t say anything to a reporter.”

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
45 Responses to “Anderson will visit Seahawks first, apologizes to Browns fans”
  1. JollyRoger says: Mar 10, 2010 9:35 AM

If they cheered him getting injured, then he was right when he said they don’t deserve a winner. The only problem here is that saying that stuff seems like sour grapes, and that’s not the image you want when you’re looking for another job.

2. Big Stretch says: Mar 10, 2010 9:36 AM

Besides Cribbs it’s not like there was much to work with.
    2007 was good for him because Braylon actually caught the ball, and Jamal had his last good year.

3. DoctorK says: Mar 10, 2010 9:37 AM

I remember being embarrassed in the early 70′s when Terry Bradshaw got hurt and the injury was cheered by the assclowns over at Three Rivers. And you wonder why the guy sometimes seems hesitant about coming back to Pittsburgh.
    Derek, you were right for venting. No player deserves such humiliation.

4. bearpaw says: Mar 10, 2010 9:39 AM

I am so sick of this PC crap. Can nobody speak their mind and mean it and stand by it?
    Should he have said it? No..but..if it was honestly how he felt freakin’ stand by it.

5. Hooj says: Mar 10, 2010 9:39 AM

too bad Art Modell doesn’t own the Browns so he could pack up and move them again.

6. Richm2256 says: Mar 10, 2010 9:41 AM

Anderson has NOTHING to apologize for….. those fans cheered him when he was injured, and fans like that deserve comments like these.
    You are who you are, Browns fans, f- you if your feelings were hurt by Anderson’s comments.
    Who cares about you?

7. Catamount says: Mar 10, 2010 9:42 AM

Any fan base would boo. It comes with the job. However, The fan base should boo the the GM.

8. last starfighter says: Mar 10, 2010 9:43 AM

Yeah right, if I were him I would stand behind how I felt and not worry about saying the “right” thing.

9. wryly1 says: Mar 10, 2010 9:43 AM

After back-to-back seasons as the league’s lowest rated QB, what did Anderson expect long suffering Browns fans to do – build a monument to him on Public Square because he had 8-9 good games against a weak schedule 3 years ago. He’s too thin-skinned and stupid to be the leader of a winning team – not to mention his lack of touch and accuracy.

10. Hpac says: Mar 10, 2010 9:45 AM

Dude can think whatever he wants.
    Complete a few more passes, throw a few less interceptions at critical times and Browns fans won’t boo when you get hurt. Simple as that…

11. BBB82 says: Mar 10, 2010 9:45 AM

Interesting that Seattle is interested. I assume they’ll still be running the WCO? Anderson and quick 3 step drops and short slants doesn’t really go together.

12. fleet10 says: Mar 10, 2010 9:47 AM

wow………………..just…………………wow
    I’m a Browns fan, and could go on all day about so many issues surrounding him, 2007, Savage, Crennel, Mangini, Brady, Frye, Braylon, Winslow,……..the way this stock was handled after 2007, etc. But, I won’t. I understand, however, that these athletes are human beings, and, having been laid-off from work myself, understand the frustration he must have felt. Not he, or any of these other athletes that people seem to love to idolize, are unemotional robots. It’s natural to get pissed, even if it’s misdirected. That being said, however, it’s also disappointing and frustrating for a fan (of any city) who pays hard earned money to see their team play, particularly in this economy, and then watch some 25 year old kid make $14 some million dollars for one decent year of service. Well, it’s a business, they say. They deserve that money, they say. And proportionally, I agree. They do. But, don’t then turn around and whine because no one called you in the offseason to stroke your fragile ego. I’m 31, with 2 degrees, and I can assure you, Derek, no one in the company that just recently laid me off called to make sure my f’ing feelings weren’t hurt.

13. Eaglesman says: Mar 10, 2010 9:48 AM

Derek Anderson in my book is a good guy and good QB…he was in a bad situation and it showed…as for the fans, they will have more to be pissed off about after another fail season in 2010!!!
    You guys are the worst fans out there, and that’s saying something coming from a Philly fan!!!

14. DCPowerGator says: Mar 10, 2010 9:49 AM

what a pu$$y. can’t wait to see him choke in another uni. he can have great stats when the pressure’s off (sometimes, not always) but will be the mayor of choke city when it matters.

15. Zero says: Mar 10, 2010 9:50 AM

Classic

16. Ytsejamer1 says: Mar 10, 2010 9:52 AM

I liked what he had to say…at least he admitted he wasn’t taken out of context. So many athletes blame the press for doing so and he was big enough to admit he said it out of frustration. I don’t think he can be faulted for that.
    If I were him, I’d have only apologized for completing like 3.7% of his passes…not for the venting.

17. ray lewis killed 2 men says: Mar 10, 2010 9:54 AM

I am a Brown fan, it is unfortunately in my blood. I love the team. I am glad DA is gone, it was a bad fit. However, no player deserves to be cheered for getting injured. That is the kind of behavior that helped in my decision to move out of Northeast Ohio. I wish DA well and hope that the Browns can find a new QB. I am not one bit upset by the things he said. I wish he wouldn’t have apologized. The idiots that cheered for the injury don’t deserve to be sports fans.

18. Ralph Gre Nader says: Mar 10, 2010 10:00 AM

Too little too late. Beat it, Loser.

19. js136202 says: Mar 10, 2010 10:01 AM

There is no coincidence that DA is going to visit Seattle and Arizona. They are both teams that have been good in the last few years but appear to be nosediving. If a guy who had a QB rating of 42 the last 2 years is a good option at QB, you should’ve fought harder in the “David Carr” Sweepstakes.

20. ClevJimbo says: Mar 10, 2010 10:02 AM

I was at that game, and I would say that the fans were cheering more for the fact that Brady Quinn was coming into the game, rather than Anderson being hurt.

21. wydok says: Mar 10, 2010 10:04 AM

I agree with Anderson. But it was still dumb to say it.

22. ogksjk says: Mar 10, 2010 10:06 AM

I was at that game and I don’t remember anybody cheering for his injury.

23. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Mar 10, 2010 10:08 AM

be a man and stick by your comments, if u don’t like em so what, they don’t like u either

24. purpleguy says: Mar 10, 2010 10:11 AM

If Browns fans have the right to cheer Anderson when he’s injured, he has every right to call them ruthless losers now. However, they are similar in that Browns fans cheering his inury in cowardly group anonimity lack the same gonads Anderson does in backing off his comments.

25. CT Pats Fan says: Mar 10, 2010 10:13 AM

Pennington, Favre, Brady, Anderson. Mangini has coached them all to failure. The firmer two have gone on the have successful seasons. Anderson will probably do the same.

26. r8rsfan says: Mar 10, 2010 10:15 AM

Trust me – if JaMarcus Russell got carried off the field on a stretcher the fans in Oakland would give him the same treatment. Watching young instant millionaires stink the joint up is enough to make just about anyone upset, and if you are a lazy, fat, spineless sack of excrement that makes it even more hard to accept. These guys are not real people anymore – their day to day lives bear no resemblance to the rest of us and they flaunt it at every opportunity. You chose to be a NFL player and your workplace is in front of thousands of people who have to pay to watch. Deal with the consequences.

27. Irish Phin Fan says: Mar 10, 2010 10:27 AM

Don’t mistake Brown’s fans passion for their team as a lack of class. Brown’s fans have long put up with bad football and are just showing that it will not be tolerated anymore. Cheering a guy when he is down is not right but perhaps they were cheering for a chance to see what another QB could do with this team. I live in North East Ohio and although I am not a big Browns fan they are some of the best in the NFL when it comes to supporting their team.

28. BuckFigBen says: Mar 10, 2010 10:29 AM

I didn’t cheer for him being injured, but now I’m rooting for it.
    So long DA. I hope you run into big ben in a bathroom somewhere.

29. fleet10 says: Mar 10, 2010 10:47 AM

r8rsfan says:
    March 10, 2010 10:15 AM
    PREACH ON, BROTHER!!

30. aceman309 says: Mar 10, 2010 10:51 AM

See you later DA It wasn’t all your fault, but you certainly were a contributor.
    I dont believe all of Cleveland will be shaking with fear, when you return as the Raiders QB, to wreak your vengeance on us.
    Thanks for one decent season out of four.

31. Bill says: Mar 10, 2010 10:54 AM

To the clueless posting on this thread – the cheers were NOT for him being injured, they were because he was going to be taken out of the game. It just so happened that an injury was the cause. Fans wanted Brady Quinn to get in. This had nothing to do with Anderson getting injured. His fragile ego and bounce passes can go elsewhere…

32. gopher says: Mar 10, 2010 11:00 AM

Give him credit, he did not say he was misquoted or taking out of contest.

33. Bwa Ha Ha says: Mar 10, 2010 11:06 AM

That’s why you never see Santa in Philly, he still can’t get over the snowball thing (BTW, he was a crappy Santa and deserved it)

34. OD says: Mar 10, 2010 11:20 AM

DA was dead on in his frustration. Most Browns fans are insecure losers. They are the ones who give the minority a bad rep.
    DA worked as hard as anyone. He did all that was asked and put up with nothing but hate and abuse by the MAJORITY of fans.
    Quinn SUCKED as much and yet was loved and excused non stop. DA helps to win 10 games and yet the chants for Quinn started from day one.
    DA had nothing but confusion in coaching, prima donnas in BE and KW. Hope he can at least get a chance and a fair break from the fans of his next team.

35. Joe Abraham says: Mar 10, 2010 11:22 AM

As someone who was born and raised as a die hard Cleveland fan… This is amusing to me… I am 21, and a student assistant coach. I have been and worked around the NFL and College football almost every day of my life.
    Derek- The reasons the people of Cleveland cheered when you got hurt dates back farther than your time. Since Jim Brown retired, to play in Cleveland is to play in a cursed land. From Red Right 88 to having plays be reviewed after another was already run… From Jamir Miller to Orlando Brown to Ernie Davis…
    Being a Cleveland Browns is probably one of the hardest things I have had to deal with in my whole life.
    The reason they cheered when you got hurt is because you throw too many bad passes. If Braylon didn’t play out of his mind, you would never have made the Pro Bowl. The only other people who think your any good, are fans of other teams- who don’t watch you make mistake after mistake in the pocket.
    Our front office has sucked for far too long and it needs to stop. That starts with getting rid of pieces of garbage like you. We cheer because we want change. We want to get better. We aren’t stupid- we see how far you can take us. We need a leader on the field. A field General at Quarterback. A No-Bull Coach. A good O-Line and a PHYSICALLY RELENTLESS DEFENSE.
    I hope to god the Browns draft Rolando McClain…

36. BBB82 says: Mar 10, 2010 11:51 AM

Looks like Donte Whitner gets it:
    “Cleveland Fans don’t worry about D. Andersons comments. He’s just soft. You guys do deserve a winner.”

37. cheeseweasel says: Mar 10, 2010 11:51 AM

38. craigja says: Mar 10, 2010 12:04 PM

At least he didn’t cry like Tim Couch did.
    I’m a Browns fan and could care less what Derrick Anderson thinks of Cleveland, me or our fans. He’s not a member of the team any longer.
    I cheered him when he was winning and booed him when he was playing bad. It’s not personal. If you can’t help us win, you’re of no use to us. He can say all he wants, he had his chance and didn’t produce. Quinn is next.

39. brownies4life says: Mar 10, 2010 12:07 PM

I spent my hard earned money on season tickets to watch this bum SUCK FOR 3 YEARS. SHUT YOUR MOUTH DA YOUR A Dumb Ass

40. BBB82 says: Mar 10, 2010 12:12 PM

“cheeseweasel says:
    March 10, 2010 11:51 AM
    Didn’t the Vikings offer a 1st round pick for either Quinn or Anderson a few years back? WOW….This franchise is a mess….”
    No, actually they didn’t.

41. olskool711 says: Mar 10, 2010 12:23 PM

Derek is the exact same QB he was at Oregon State. Throws a beautiful 40 laser on one pass and a pick six, wobbler, with no receiver in sight on the next one.
    The bad people in Cleveland gave him 14 million dollars and a chance to be an NFL quarterback when his talent never really justified it.
    He has every reason to diss the Browns in public.
    Based on todays values and ethics.

42. fatalx21 says: Mar 10, 2010 12:26 PM

thanks now can i get my 99 cents back for ur autograph i need all my pennies in this recession and paper cost

43. Dixon29 says: Mar 10, 2010 3:08 PM

You folks who say things like “if they booed him, he is right to say what he said.
    The small amount of people who boo an injured player doesn’t represent what the majority think. If a few hundred people boo, they are idiots, plain and simple.
    Just don’t forget all of us Browns fans stuck by him and all of his dumb interceptions, and many times wondered who he was throwing to. Dude has a cannon, but no accuracy at all.

44. JohnC says: Mar 10, 2010 10:53 PM

Were people cheering his injury or were they cheering that Quinn was coming in? Many Cleveland fans saw Quinn as the second coming of Bernie Kosar. At the time it was painfully obvious that DA lost whatever he had in 07. He should have been pulled a couple games earlier.
    Us Cleveland fans are extremely impatient. Think about it….it was 1948 the last time the Indians won the World Series. It was 1954 the last time the Browns won a title. I know that there are Cub fans and before 04 Red Sox fans who could say they are in the same boat….but they had other teams that were winning.
    I think DA will be OK. Maybe a fresh start will turn his career around. I hope so.

45. Cleveland Dave says: Mar 11, 2010 9:44 PM

People, Quinn was already on IR when Derek got injured in that game, so he wasn’t coming in. It was Ken Dorsey who was coming in, and I don’t know what idiot would be cheering for that. So in a nutshell, yes, (some) fans were cheering because Derek got hurt and would be leaving the game.
    I don’t blame Derek for saying what he said, and he was right. However, it was unfair to drag the entire fanbase into his rant, but I’d have to believe that his words were directed at the ones cheering.
    I miss the days when fans simply cheered for their teams, for whoever was playing. Not this agenda-driven day and age where “fans” actually root against their own teams in hopes failure will get the QB benched, WR run out of town, coach fired, etc.
    Root for whoever wears the helmet and STFU