McClain reveals he has Crohn's Disease

Thumbnail image for R. McClain.jpgAlabama linebacker Rolando McClain’s Pro Day got off to a fine start with an expected time in the forty.

He didn’t finish his drills, however, after getting ill.  After the workout, he disclosed he has fought  Crohn’s Disease since his
freshman year in high school. It’s treated through medication.

We’re amazed this information wasn’t out already, but it clearly hasn’t prevented McClain from producing. David Garrard was diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease during his career and it hasn’t slowed him down.

Still, we wonder if this will cause teams to look at McClain any differently – positively or negatively.  Perhaps the biggest knock on McClain is his inconsistent motor and effort.

Maybe his Crohn’s plays into that, maybe it doesn’t.  It’s just one more piece to the puzzle for teams to figure out by April’s draft.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
36 Responses to “McClain reveals he has Crohn's Disease”
  1. ShockAndAwe09NYG! says: Mar 10, 2010 5:38 PM

Wow that sucks, the last thing a team wants is for him to tell the coach he cant play I feel sick!
    Giants go get Sean Weatherspoon, better fit anyways, and strong as heck more reps then Ndamukong Suh! 35 to 32 and he runs a 4.5 nasty!

2. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Mar 10, 2010 5:39 PM

if anyone has anything negative to say about this young man and his unfortunate disease ought to be banned from this site

3. sniperhare says: Mar 10, 2010 5:39 PM

I think Garrard had several feet of his intestines removed, and has gotten over much of the disease.

4. justo says: Mar 10, 2010 5:46 PM

It won’t catipult him into the top ten.

5. RavensFreak00 says: Mar 10, 2010 5:47 PM

I do know the Ravens would love to draft this guy.

6. Mean D says: Mar 10, 2010 5:49 PM

God be with him. He is a brave young man. Certainly this will drop him in the draft but so what? He’ll still get a good contract and should produce at the next level.

7. kazkal says: Mar 10, 2010 5:50 PM

—–f anyone has anything negative to say about this young man and his unfortunate disease ought to be banned from this site—–
    Agreed but people will just like they make jokes when a player dies.

8. Finsbaby says: Mar 10, 2010 5:52 PM

That is crappy news. But its about time he gave his potential future employers the straight poop. No more trying to squirt the truth. Still, I don’t suspect its anything that will keep him from going in the middle round.

9. Babie Hoodie says: Mar 10, 2010 5:54 PM

ShockAndAwe09NYG! says:
    March 10, 2010 5:38 PM
    You’re an idiot buddy. Weatherspoon actually ran an official time of 4.68 during his 40 at the combine and repped the weight 34 times. Now with his arms being more than 2 inches shorter than Suh’s, this really isn’t anything that gets me excited. Also throw in the fact that an NFL Scout stated he wouldn’t want Sean on his team due to the fact that he has a big mouth and is a attention whore, you go ahead and waste the 15th Overall pick on that loser.

10. kpweaver27 says: Mar 10, 2010 5:54 PM

I’d have to say teams would look at him in a more positive light. If inconstencies might be tracked to the disease, then the money of his rookie contract along with the team’s doctors means he could get his disease under control and enhance his quality of life as well as a more consistent energy level.

11. Bob S. says: Mar 10, 2010 5:55 PM

wasn’t he ill at the time of national championship game?

12. afiresnake says: Mar 10, 2010 5:56 PM

Sorry, but is the Garrard comment “and it hasn’t slowed him down” meant to be a joke?
    If so, you couldn’t get more classless, genius who wrote this.

13. Gautam says: Mar 10, 2010 5:56 PM

I know I sound rude when I say this but Crohn’s disease sounds like a name from sci-flick lol

14. kvh59 says: Mar 10, 2010 5:58 PM

To be honest that just shows how determined he is and makes me respect him even more. Imagine what he would look like on a football field without an ailment.

15. SteelersQT says: Mar 10, 2010 6:00 PM

I agree, WarrenMoonGOAT

16. Sandra Lee's Cans says: Mar 10, 2010 6:03 PM

Let’s hope he doesn’t have to have any surgery. If he has a mild form of Crohn’s it could be in remission for years as long as he takes his meds, which could be a couple of pills four times a day. He most likely will lead a fully functional life and knock heads off in the NFL for a looong time.

17. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Mar 10, 2010 6:04 PM

I don’t want to get too technical here, but Crohn’s Disease makes your poo come out funny, and at odd times.

18. benjua says: Mar 10, 2010 6:04 PM

Treated properly, it shouldn’t be all too big of a burden on him. Also has to watch what he eats, but then he probably knows more about it than you people.

19. mustbechris says: Mar 10, 2010 6:06 PM

Giants fans yet again making a great showing for their class and integrity. The bar continues to be lowered.

20. Renegade24 says: Mar 10, 2010 6:07 PM

wasting a first round pick on weatherspoon? no you are the idiot. this guy continues to move up the draft board and can play inside or outside. ask tim ryan and pat kerwin who have more football knowledge than just about anybody. all they do is rave about the guy. he was interviewed on sirius nfl radio yesterday and he sounds pretty even keeled to me

21. Jon Snow says: Mar 10, 2010 6:09 PM

While not a football player any time in recent memory my mother also suffers from Crohn’s Disease. She has had about 75% of her small intestine and over half of her large intestine removed. Needless to say her absorption ability has been seriously compromised and things she eats literally go right through her. Lack of energy is a daily fight for her.
    It’s amazing to me athletes can keep doing what they do living with that disease. But, Garrard, Rolf Benirschke (NFL), Shayne Corson (NHL), Theo Fleury (NHL), Kevin Dineen (NHL), Chris Gedney (NFL), Steve Redgrave (Olympian) and others have been able to perform despite their handicap. Best of luck to McClain – it won’t be easy.

22. Deb says: Mar 10, 2010 6:10 PM

@Bob S. …
    One of the major players was ill that week, but I can’t remember if it was McClain. But he played the entire game. He’s been fantastic at Bama. I hope this announcement makes enough teams think twice that the Steelers can take him at with the 18th pick. He’s my dream pick.
    @Finsbaby … You called in sick the day they passed out class, huh?

23. dudeustupid says: Mar 10, 2010 6:14 PM

as an MU fan you’d be lucky to have ol weatherspoon on your team…the kid is a beast, hes all over the field and no one on the field or off the field out works him….if hes a loud mouth its in a positive ray lewis kinda way…hes not ray lewis obviously but his leadership is pretty similar

24. PossibleCabbage says: Mar 10, 2010 6:16 PM

I don’t think that Crohn’s disease has anything to do with Garrard’s struggles on the field. If anything, you’d expect Crohn’s to add a sense of urgency that Garrard’s delivery is very much lacking.

25. RaiderhateR4Life says: Mar 10, 2010 6:27 PM

Keep dreaming deb lol, if and I mean IF he even makes it to 13 Samurai Mike will draft him in a Heartbeat no matter what the draftboards say… But I will say he would look pretty badass in a Steeler uni

26. BriGuy says: Mar 10, 2010 6:29 PM

This disease can be deadly if not treated properly (it took the life of child actress Heather O’Rourke) so it is good to hear he is getting the proper medications. Best wishes to this young man and it sounds like he would be a fine addition to any team.

27. Joe Abraham says: Mar 10, 2010 6:48 PM

I wish this guy would get drafted by the Browns…

28. jdv85 says: Mar 10, 2010 6:58 PM

you people need to relax with threatening people who have anything bad to say about McClain simply because he has Crohn’s disease. It’s such an obvious detriment to his draft stock, maybe he’ll overcome the symptoms and will be very successful, but maybe he won’t, it seems a like a big risk to take so early in the draft. Stop defending him now that you found out he has a disease, its petty. And definitely back off Giant fans, they are one of the classiest organizations in the NFL, we just aren’t as sensitive as other people based on where we live and what we’ve been exposed to.

29. Finsbaby says: Mar 10, 2010 7:12 PM

What do you mean Deb? I learned class straight from Nick I am not speaking to Alabama about a job Satan.

30. Joe Abraham says: Mar 10, 2010 7:30 PM

Please don’t go to another AFC north team…. BROWNS… BROWNS

31. WMack says: Mar 10, 2010 7:39 PM

I’ve watched every snap of this guy’s collegiate career and anyone who questions his work ethic, competitiveness, or his motor knows nothing about the game and should stick to spectating. I know of one scout, in particular who’s based his entire report on 3 of his last 5 games at Alabama. Another thing that McClain revealed is that he played each game after the Tennessee game with a busted up hamstring, and only Coach Saban & the medical staff knew about it. So people whose job it is to try and put holes in these kids’ resumes, lay off of this one. He’s going to be a solid pro for many years to come

32. bigmofojay says: Mar 10, 2010 7:49 PM

I’ve had this disease since I was 10 years old, so it’s going on 16 years that I’ve been diagnosed for Crohn’s. For McClain to be going through this and being a football player goes to show his toughness and determination to not let this illness control his life. I know how hard it is trying to play football when you aren’t feeling to well and was forced by doctors to not play high school ball or even partake in gym class. But hearing that he takes plays off and now knowing the reason, it makes total sense. Hopefully he can keep this under watch and with a great support system and proper medical care, he can have a great career in the NFL.

33. chris says: Mar 10, 2010 7:55 PM

I live with Crohn’s disease and IBS everday of my live since i was around 28 and i’m in my mid-forties now. If you never had it or know anything about it, it can be the most crippling cramps and you literally have seconds to make it to the bathroom. You also tend to go all the time, #1 and #2 can be 4-5 times aday for me.
    But the good thing over the last 15 years they have gotten some decent meds to help control the cramps and pain. But the biggest thing, is finding out what tiggers it in you, for me it was caffeine. I wish him the best and Go Phins….!

34. rmeyer10 says: Mar 10, 2010 10:53 PM

I also have Crohn’s disease, at it’s worst I weighed in at 130 before my surgery and and I’m 6′ tall, now my health is back and it’s in remission. This is just incredible that he is able to do what he has/ hopefully will continue to do. On a side note I started my own foundation to help with Crohn’s disease and the patients and families of those suffering from Crohn’s. Getting the web-site up now http://www.hope4crohns.org (sorry to plug this PFT, just felt it was applicable with the article) or you can look us up on facebook under The Community Crohn’s Foundation and if you would like more information please feel free to contact me at ryan.meyer@hope4crohns.org, great article and best of luck to McClain and everyone else suffering from Crohn’s disease.

35. Adam says: Mar 11, 2010 3:28 AM

The best doctors in the world are in NYC. Just sayin.
    He could use the Giants as a huge platform to raise awareness.
    Hopefully some ignorant team passes him cuz of this.

36. Tompadre says: Mar 11, 2010 3:59 AM

Babie Hoodie says:
    March 10, 2010 5:54 PM
    ShockAndAwe09NYG! says:
    March 10, 2010 5:38 PM
    ===========================
    Weatherspoon’s 4.5 forty and the 35 reps came at his Pro Day last week, not the combine. He received praise from scouts for being willing to repeat the drills as opposed to standing by his combine results. His “big mouth” was also applauded by many as great leadership. One man’s garbage is another man’s gold! (You are right though, shorter arms can result in more reps.)
    On another note, Rosenthal’s comment (Perhaps the biggest knock on McClain is his inconsistent motor and effort.) is the exact opposite of any scouting report I’ve seen on the guy. The only thing scouts have questioned is his speed. Shouldn’t you need to know a little something about the subject you’re reporting on before you get the job? Wait a minute, this is PFT…never mind.