Panthers' Matt Moore: "I do feel like it's my team now"

NFL_moore.jpgWith last week’s release of Jake Delhomme, Matt Moore became the Panthers’ starting quarterback.

And he knows it.

“From what they are telling me, yeah, I do feel like it’s my team now,” Moore told Steve Reed of CarolinaGrowl.com.

But it came as a surprise to Moore, who said he was “shocked” when the team told his agent last week that Delhomme was out.

And even though Moore realizes that the Panthers might add another quarterback, he’s not worried.

“I feel good right now regardless of whom they bring in,” Moore said.
“That’s not to say there won’t be competition.  There’s always
competition.  But I feel good and feel solid and being given this
opportunity I’m going to try to make the best of it.  But am I
threatened?  Not really.”

Still, there’s a fundamental difference between being the backup who plays when the starter is injured and the starter who possibly is peering over his shoulder.  The ball sometimes gets gripped a little tighter, and each bad pass brings doubt into the starter’s mind as to whether the hook might be coming.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Panthers' Matt Moore: "I do feel like it's my team now"”
  1. Big Stretch says: Mar 12, 2010 10:05 PM

I like this kids moxie.
    and I’ve been waiting to use that phrase.

2. Drat says: Mar 12, 2010 10:06 PM

Florio’s latest thing, in several posts of the last few days, is that some QBs grip the ball too tightly. I see he is on the cutting edge of understanding technical quarterbacking.

3. Martin Keamy says: Mar 12, 2010 10:07 PM

No, Florio. Bad! He wasn’t a backup waiting on an injury…he was a backup waiting for an owner to say enough is enough with this loyalty to Delhomme. Joe Montana could have backed up Delhomme and it wouldn’t have mattered. We all know Delhomme’s finger was an excuse because his QB mind was broken hearted.

4. Drat says: Mar 12, 2010 10:15 PM

Seneca Wallace will be QB this fall. Name another QB in the league with only 14 starts who has 3500 yards, 25 TDs, and only 14 Ints. Let him settle in as starter and those numbers will only improve. Oops, I forgot. Now he’s playing for Cleveland.

5. Favre2Harvin says: Mar 12, 2010 10:21 PM

Matt Cassel Version 2…
    Who is he going to throw to?
    Steve Smith is spotty and aging

6. KingJoe! says: Mar 12, 2010 10:24 PM

Good for him. It is great to see him live the illusion for a while. I am pretty sure though he won’t be in a competition with McNabb.

7. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK 2.0OH! says: Mar 12, 2010 10:29 PM

John Fox’ seat is so hot his ass is practically on fire!

8. BlueEyeDevils says: Mar 12, 2010 10:32 PM

He’s not worried until they sign Vick………….
    ha ha ha

9. majorlots says: Mar 12, 2010 10:37 PM

moore should be confident. the guy is clutch and fun to watch when he’s in a rhythm. good points idropbombs, you do realize that this is an article and not a letter to matt moore, right? stay classy, you freakin scholar

10. sodaknick says: Mar 12, 2010 10:38 PM

Ask another former Beaver, and now former Brown, how much fun it is looking over your shoulder.

11. trademcscab says: Mar 12, 2010 10:46 PM

how the hell can you call steve smith a pussy……he broke some dudes jaw in training camp last year and then he got hit helmet to arm and broke his arm against the giants and everyone watching heard the crack and he still didnt drop the ball……drop the bomb on yourself fool cause you dont know what the hell ur talkin about

12. ahajha says: Mar 12, 2010 10:50 PM

2010 – The return of Steve Smith

13. M3ratter says: Mar 12, 2010 10:55 PM

Next season Matt Moore will be Kyle Orton of 2009 and possibly have a Chad Pennington type career. He doesn’t seem to take a lot of shots down the field, maybe due to a lack of arm strength. I think he is in intelligent QB who doesn’t make a lot of mistakes, and with DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart behind him, all he has to do is “manage” the game to be successful.

14. Catamount says: Mar 12, 2010 11:03 PM

idropbombs
    Please get the person who typed your post to read my response to you:
    Either you are a dumbass or its past your bedtime. Either way, you have no reason to be near a computer. So go tell your parents–the ones who met at the family reunion, good night.

15. Catamount says: Mar 12, 2010 11:05 PM

Moore has played 8 games in three seasons and he will better than half the qbs in the league when he takes his first snap in September. Not saying he is great, saying we have a serious shortage of qbs in the NFL.

16. cowboys1 says: Mar 13, 2010 12:08 AM

wow there are no real football fans left just haters. Moore played well and did more than just “manage” the game last season, and he won his last 3 starts, including the a win over the vikings.

17. WetHog says: Mar 13, 2010 12:35 AM

Who the **** is Matt Moore?

18. JPerkVA says: Mar 13, 2010 1:23 AM

Steve Smith is most def not a pussy.

19. Eric says: Mar 13, 2010 2:11 AM

Moore went deep way more than Delhomme and put up good numbers on passes over 20 yards actually…

20. superjet48 says: Mar 13, 2010 2:11 AM

Give the kid a chance

21. bobbyyyd says: Mar 13, 2010 3:46 AM

hahah all your haters suck. Moore is sick the panthers are under the rader just like we like it. Dont you remember we have the best o line in the NFL and running backs? and steve smith? all you panther haters crack me up. panthers NFC south champs next season

22. Bwa Ha Ha says: Mar 13, 2010 7:09 AM

Moxie, yeah,,,, seeee?……moxie h’yeah

23. wkheathjr says: Mar 13, 2010 7:57 AM

I am so happy Delhomme is gone. I am grateful for all the years he had with Panthers, but clearly he got himself into a slump and it is just not working out with him in Charlotte. Matt Moore did start out a bit erratic but once he developed a chemistry with the team, Panthers looked like the play-off team but too bad it was too late for that. So as you can imagine, the Panther Fans are so thrilled that Delhomme is gone and Moore is our starting man! We really feel good with what we have. We are not very active in the free agent marketing because we already have most of the key players and we managed to find our QB before the season ended last year. Just matter of drafting few key positions and then hope for a good season in 2010.
    Yes, it look highly likely that the management is managing the off-season as if there won’t be any football in 2011 by not pursuing anyone in the free agent and let Fox contract expire. Just don’t be surprise if Panthers are actually paving the way for Cowher who turned down couple of head coach positions recently and is still living in NC. It just make sense that Panthers are making it look so feasible for any head coach to step in during the post-2010/2011 season, and pretty sure Cowher would be very interested.

24. whoaleckna says: Mar 13, 2010 8:13 AM

Moore has deserved his chance since the surprising prime time game at the end of the season a few years ago. Wallace, as well, has earned a chance to start.
    so many haters in here, kinda wonder why do they focus their energy on football?

25. Catamount says: Mar 13, 2010 8:21 AM

WetHog
    If you don’t know who Matt Moore is, then you can’t be very knowledgeable about football. After going 2-1 as a rookie when Jake Delhomme was injured, he spent 2008 on IR. This season, he played the last five games of the season, going 4-1 and beating the Vikings, the Saints, the Giants, etc. He had 8 TD passes and only 2 interceptions with a 98.5 QB rating. Now, he has started 8 games in his career and is 6-2 in those games. He is stepping up to a starting role.
    And for the people who called him Matt Cassels II–the Panthers were 4-7 when Matt Moore took over. They had already been eliminated from the playoffs. Cassells success, however, was due to his offensive line. Moore has one.
    Finally, to those who think Smith is done. Delhomme was done, not Smith. By next season, we will have WRs that hurt your feelings–our RBs already do.
    But don’t lead a post proclaiming your ignorance, like it is my responsibility to spoon feed you information. Now I did you a favor, so be thankful that you now know the guy who will be scorching your ass in six months.

26. Pier588 says: Mar 13, 2010 8:38 AM

idropbombs – have you been behind the plane sniffing jet fumes again? Since you lead the pack with your DUMBA$$ comments – you must be “high” on something.

27. Setobakura says: Mar 13, 2010 10:03 AM

Jeff George has a hell of an arm

28. inmotion2207 says: Mar 13, 2010 10:16 AM

They should have gotten Vick.

29. Florio-is-a-tool says: Mar 13, 2010 11:11 AM

I enjoy Moore’s moxie too. I just wish there were a Moxie test so Tebow – Lord Prince of Intangibles – could fail that one too.

30. WetHog says: Mar 13, 2010 11:25 AM

@Catamount
    Gee thanks for learning me. You are so smart. Being on the East Coast, and a Redskins fan, I should of known that Matt Moore went un-drafted out of Oregon State, caught on with the Crackboys, and got claimed off waivers by Carolina. I will start right now studying every NFL teams complete roster so I know every player on every team. I want to be a true fan.
    *sarcasm off*
    As the original post on this topic said, when you are the true starter you tend to grip the ball a little tighter, get a little more nervous. To say playing 8 games in relief of a hurt starting QB garuntee’s Moore will be a great QB is a big stretch. Hopefully Moore is the reall deal for Panthers fans, but he is far from a proven NFL QB.

31. Catamount says: Mar 13, 2010 11:48 AM

idropbombs
    you have trouble fitting in, don’t you? You realize that talking junk on the internet probably means you are 5′ 3″ tall and are still breast feeding.
    Now, before you go WWF and intimidate me with your toughness (I guess you hit the keys harder than I do, you stud), let me tell you that it doesn’t matter how many games you have started–Moore can’t win the games he hasn’t played. Now, I know you are an adult and probably had a traumatic childhood, but if you want that GED, you have to learn to control your temper. I hated it when they dropped the prices of computers so losers like you could afford one, assuming you are not in the break room in Prison or something like that.

32. Catamount says: Mar 13, 2010 1:00 PM

Oooh. Doesn’t take much to get you upset. Spend your day however you wish. By the way, my mother has been dead for 10 years. You try to use her against me as if you don’t have one of your own. Some points, even though your mind is about as closed as it is atrophied. Nice insults, by the way. Did you get those out of a middle school boys’ room? Bet you are the best cusser ever!!
    1. Moore had a 98.5 QB rating last year. That is better than almost all of the QBs in the league. Are you blaming him because Fox blindly stayed with Jake? Or that he was on IR last season? A TD/Int. ratio of 4 to 1. Do you think the quarterbacks in KC, NYJ, NYG, Miami, Tampa Bay, Chicago, Denver, Oakland, Seattle, Philadelphia, Washington, Arizona, Houston, Tennessee, San Francisco, St. Louis, Detroit, etc. can accomplish that over a five game stretch? If so, who? That is over half the league, numbnuts, and if you had read the rest of my post you would have seen my rationale. I will not respond to your idiocy any longer. You are one of those people who like to argue and hate. I don’t have time for gutter-dwelling scum like you. Now come back at me with profanity about dicks and mothers, you scholar.

33. Catamount says: Mar 13, 2010 1:08 PM

By the way, idropbombs. You said: “Keep your dick in hand cause i’ll be coming at you all day.”
    What does that make you?

34. Catamount says: Mar 13, 2010 1:27 PM

Wethog,
    I never said Moore would be a great QB. And I don’t understand why (not blaming you for this) it is suddenly different for reserves who step ito starting roles. Cassell was successful at it, and so was Brady. Jake got his job that way. I think the WRs and the OL are more important factors. Most of the qb changes occur on bad teams. There is some truth to that squeezing the ball stuff, but only because the LT missed his block or the back didn’t pick up a blitz–bad teams do that more. I really wish they would do a study on it.
    As for my rudeness, I just figured the board was full of people from other teams intent on slamming him. If your comment was not intended to do that, then I misinterpreted it and apologize. I admit that I was having fun with what might very well be the most crude and ignorant human being to ever work a computer-idropbombs.
    And be glad you didn’t get Peppers.

35. cizzie4shizzie says: Mar 14, 2010 12:46 AM

Moore is unproven and should fold easily. The Panthers need to bring back Kerry “Phil” Collins and hope he doesn’t relasp. The 1 Panther game I saw against the Jets leads me to believe Moore should have gotten his shot earlier in the season. Jake the Fake is just washed up.