Browns pick up Delhomme for two years

In the span of five days, Mike Holmgren has brought two quarterbacks to Cleveland to replace the guys that he inherited.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Jake Delhomme has agreed to a two-year deal with the Browns.  He won’t make his visit to New Orleans.

Delhomme wanted a chance to start, and he’ll have that in Cleveland.  He and Seneca Wallace figure to compete to start.  Based on Wallace’s history with Holmgren and Delhomme’s play last season, we’d bet on Wallace.

It’s a motley quarterback group, and it’s fair for Browns fans to wonder how much the team is really upgrading.  Holmgren and Eric Mangini clearly have no use for Brady Quinn, who looks as good as gone.

The Delhomme move is especially questionable because it reduces the team’s flexibility.  Forget trading for one of the Eagles quarterbacks now.  The Browns still need to find a young quarterback to develop.

The one thing saving this signing is Holmgren’s track record with quarterbacks.  That helps him get the benefit of the doubt for now.

But that only lasts until Delhomme’s first three interception game.

Permalink 122 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
122 Responses to “Browns pick up Delhomme for two years”
  1. jaydee327 says: Mar 13, 2010 6:04 PM

Really? Geez, Holmgren, you’re taking a pretty big frickin’ risk

2. Fonetik says: Mar 13, 2010 6:04 PM

Haha, this is great. The Browns have shoved aside one QB who may or may not be bad, and have signed two who we KNOW are bad. Nice.

3. vbhall78 says: Mar 13, 2010 6:08 PM

Wow, they went from Derek Anderson to Jake Delhomme, some upgrade, way to go. LOL

4. SterilizeTHenry says: Mar 13, 2010 6:09 PM

Good signing! I’d rather a has-been like Delhomme over a never-will-be like Quinn. I’m not totally convinced that Delhomme is washed-up just yet. Guys like Warner and Favre have played some of the best football of their careers in their late 30s. Why not Delhomme too?

5. troyofohio says: Mar 13, 2010 6:10 PM

Superbowl Baby

6. Cincinnasty says: Mar 13, 2010 6:10 PM

This doesn’t solve there QB problem… They need to deal for one of Philly’s QB”s…

7. Laxer37 says: Mar 13, 2010 6:10 PM

Delhomme = Derek Anderson 2.0
    New name, but more of the same.

8. flavordave says: Mar 13, 2010 6:11 PM

Then is it just me or is Delhomme terrible? Even his super bowl year.

9. SF Saints Fan says: Mar 13, 2010 6:12 PM

You are really making a statement when you have upgraded your QB roster by adding Seneca Wallace and Jake Delhomme. I think Delhomme may still have something left in the take, I think Wallace never had anything in the tank. Good luck Cleveland. Jake, you should have taken that trip to New Orleans. It would have been your only chance to maybe get a Super Bowl Championship ring in your career and they would have signed you to be their backup QB.

10. seaner44 says: Mar 13, 2010 6:13 PM

wallace and delhomme the rest of the afc north must be shakkin in thier cleats

11. markwhct says: Mar 13, 2010 6:13 PM

Same bunch of LOSERS in Cleveland, no matter who throws the rock. You need someone to catch the goddamn thing! My Jet’s will take Quinn as backup.

12. eulldog75 says: Mar 13, 2010 6:14 PM

Wow, nice move Holmgren. Absolutely dumb. What is so bad about Brady Quinn? Seriously?

13. Xenu_D_Alien says: Mar 13, 2010 6:15 PM

Holmgren will be coaching the team in 2011, unless Mangini makes the playoffs this year.

14. Sandra Lee's Cans says: Mar 13, 2010 6:15 PM

I’m speechless. Big Show, you are being watched.

15. bigtrav425 says: Mar 13, 2010 6:17 PM

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF?!?! i thought we brought these guys in to help rebuild our team? this is NOT helping at all by signing him unless its as a back up to someone else were getting.This makes it official as well i am NOT getting season tickets this year

16. funi says: Mar 13, 2010 6:17 PM

Brady Quinn to CFL!

17. riddlecleve says: Mar 13, 2010 6:17 PM

I dont really know where to start. As a die-hard browns fan I guess we just have to have faith in Holmgren. But damm Jake Delhomme was kind of shitty last year…Any Carolina fans with some input on him???
    To me this simply means that either Seneca Wallace or Delhomme will be the QB for the next 1-2 years while we groom a QB. I expect the Browns to take Clausen at NO 7 unless Berry or McCoy fall.
    Hopefully we can trade Quinn for a 4th rounder, maybe some team like the Chiefs (Charlie Weiss) would take him for a 3rd.
    Go Browns

18. funi says: Mar 13, 2010 6:18 PM

Delhomme and Wallace to face Pitt, Balt and Cincy twice a year? Thats 6 lossses Brown fans!

19. Orange&Brown4life says: Mar 13, 2010 6:20 PM

Really? I hope you know what you are doing Holmgren

20. naskar says: Mar 13, 2010 6:20 PM

i’m not big fan of brady quinn or the browns, but how in the world does holmgren, think jake delhomme is an upgrade at the qb position??? good luck cleveland, holmgren signed on for a fat paycheck and in 4 years your franchise will be none the better…

21. Bossman says: Mar 13, 2010 6:22 PM

Brady Quinn,
    Start looking for a home in Kansas City.

22. Hpac says: Mar 13, 2010 6:22 PM

So the Browns release Derek Anderson and then sign Derek Anderson Sr.?
    Makes sense.

23. Scientific says: Mar 13, 2010 6:22 PM

Sigh.
    Signed, a Cleveland fan.

24. JDeezy says: Mar 13, 2010 6:22 PM

lol

25. coz says: Mar 13, 2010 6:22 PM

delhomme and wallace vs. quinn and anderson….
    well i guess thats an upgrade lmao

26. Goldman1 says: Mar 13, 2010 6:23 PM

Brady Quinn will probably land in Kansas City to backup Matt Cassel.

27. xebulba says: Mar 13, 2010 6:23 PM

is carolina still on the hook for his last contract?

28. John says: Mar 13, 2010 6:24 PM

He’s definitely an upgrade to Quinn. Delhomme had a bad year. He’ll be back.

29. Clevelander says: Mar 13, 2010 6:24 PM

So they’ll take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round and let him sit this year while Wallace probably starts and Delhomme gets cut in August.
    Given Anderson and Quinn’s stats last year, neither one should be a starter anyway.

30. Favre2Harvin says: Mar 13, 2010 6:24 PM

Who will trade for B Quinn and for what?? Maybe a 5th round pick?

31. BOHlieve says: Mar 13, 2010 6:24 PM

wow AFC looks like its between cincy and bmore

32. Gautam says: Mar 13, 2010 6:27 PM

I don’t understand this. The Browns may consider Quinn bad but how the hell do you decide that after seeing the guy make just 350 odd pass attempts in his 3 years in the NFL (with some of them coming in the middle of a game) ? He’s not even played a quota of 16 games in the NFL(he’s started 12 games in 3 seasons) AND he was a 1st round pick.
    Fat JaMarcus has double that number of pass attempts and Al Davis is still starting him.

33. clevelandbrowns4 says: Mar 13, 2010 6:32 PM

We just got rid of a turnover machine 4 another one wow this makes no sense at all this guy even worse we wont win 2 games welcome back to the top 5 in the nfl draft cleveland picks # 1

34. covercorner7 says: Mar 13, 2010 6:32 PM

These are not the real Browns; that’s the Ravens. This artificial team sucks! All of their quarterbacks are horrible! Shaun Hill would be better & he’s not that good.

35. Vince Drooley says: Mar 13, 2010 6:33 PM

hahahaha! Whatta maroon.
    Oh, Browns fans. I am so sorry for you. You have my sincere condolences (I am not beign facetious). I know what it’s like to an extent, being a Fins fan. At least you get the idea that the Fins are going somewhat in the right direction despite some serious gaffs like Pat White. But for your messiah (Holmgren) to bring in these two aas your QBs… wow. I’d be thoroughly pissed. I mean they have never really given Quinn a fair shake with all the “Umm, let’s put Anderson in. Umm, no, no, I chaned my mind, let’s try Quinn. Wait, he stunk it up a game, let’s bench him and put Anderson back in” stuff. Mangini is an azzclown and Holmgren’s looking like the smelly part of it too with the Wallace and Delhomme signings.

36. Cincinnasty says: Mar 13, 2010 6:34 PM

# Xenu_D_Alien says: March 13, 2010 6:15 PM
    That’s a far fetch.. if they did I would say it’s definitely from a wild card…

37. orangeandbrown85 says: Mar 13, 2010 6:36 PM

Looks like another rough year at QB. But as I don’t really think Quinn will hash out, I don’t mind. They’re probably going to sign on a mid-round guy and groom him to start next year…Quinn hasn’t really shown much promise in my book. No accuracy down field and poor decision making. Good huddle presence and leadership, it seems, but that doesn’t complete passes.

38. bmore1208 says: Mar 13, 2010 6:36 PM

Secondarys all over the AFC north are smiling tonight!

39. tombrookshire says: Mar 13, 2010 6:37 PM

It’s a starting point which is better than what he has in the two he had last year. Maybe neither will start, but I would rather have these two than the previous two. Good move Holmgren.

40. willsanity209 says: Mar 13, 2010 6:38 PM

So they went from Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson, to Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace. LOL wow. Do they really think they upgraded? Mike Holmgren send me some of that herb youre smokin! =)

41. clevelandmack says: Mar 13, 2010 6:38 PM

Just when i started getting excited and just when it looked like our front office looked like they finally looked like they knew what they were ddoing, i woke up from my nap andd realized i am still in cleveland, and still a fan of this joke of a franchise. Absolutely horrible signing- thank God for the Cavs.

42. DoomsDayD75 says: Mar 13, 2010 6:39 PM

I don’t see why people are crapping on Holmgren for these QB moves. He inherited one of the worst QB situations in the entire league. Anybody that watched the Browns knows there is nowhere to go but up.
    It’s also very likely that both Bradford and Clausen are gone by 7, so there aren’t a whole lot of options for the Browns as far as the draft goes.
    Besides, Wallace isn’t as bad as people make him out to be. He’s got a decent amount of experience and played fairly well in Seattle. That’s a lot better than Quinn ever did. The guy can’t throw the ball farther than 10 yards.

43. dead money says: Mar 13, 2010 6:39 PM

The browns are starting to remind me of my first fantasy draft… UGH.

44. polishkingski says: Mar 13, 2010 6:40 PM

i think its a good move. do they pick up any of his contract? wish the bills took a look at him but sniff, sniffle, wahhhhhhhhh….no one wants to come here! i`m sad. tonight my two best friends are a bottle of crown royal and a bucket of ice….and maybe my wife in a pair of nylons. depends on how the crown royal goes down. wait, and maybe a pizzia. if you don`t live in the north east(also chicago of course) you have no idea how good pizzia tastes. believe me, dominoes and pizza hut is not pizza.

45. Big Jake says: Mar 13, 2010 6:41 PM

I may be old, but at least I don’t rape 21 year-old girls.

46. steelersblow says: Mar 13, 2010 6:42 PM

Really? Really? hell the next Qb of cleveland should be decided by a reality tv show on vh1 at least that would probably more fun to watch then this up coming season!

47. bigswifty1 says: Mar 13, 2010 6:43 PM

# Fonetik says: March 13, 2010 6:04 PM
    Really? You KNOW Seneca Wallace is bad? You must be a better QB coach then Holmgren. And how much are you making per year, you stud? Let’s just wait and see before you start throwing out blind rants about how smart YOU are.

48. kosarsmyidol says: Mar 13, 2010 6:43 PM

Quinn has only 12 starts, but has ended up on IR twice. Maybe that could just be a fluke, but he hasn’t shown enough on the field to take the risk associated with committing to him. People say that they would like Quinn to be a backup on their team, but no one wants him to be the starter.
    If Wallace does better than most expect, he could bring stability for some time. Given Delhomme’s recent history and repaired elbow, it’s unrealistic to expect that he’d be anything more than a temporary placeholder while a quarterback is groomed. Both Wallace and Delhomme should be anxious to prove themselves.
    The Browns do need a legitimate starting receiver. Massaquoi shows flashes of potential, but he may not end up being the guy. Robiskie might work in the slot, and Cribbs is just a gimmick thus far…

49. east96street says: Mar 13, 2010 6:44 PM

Apparently, Holmgren wants the first pick in next year’s draft.

50. Joshua says: Mar 13, 2010 6:47 PM

To all the Quinn lovers, have you seen him throw? He is very inaccurate and has very poor arm strength. He just doesnt have what it takes to be a QB in the NFL

51. GoBrowns19 says: Mar 13, 2010 6:48 PM

They’re going to draft one to develop under these two retards. Maybe the rook will get the start. You keep Quinn, there will be the same old problems…it’s a new regime, clean slate. Settle down, neither one of these two jerkoffs will be the QB for more than 8 games if they are having as bad a season as they’re gonna have.

52. hayward giapunchmi says: Mar 13, 2010 6:50 PM

Holmgren approved this?
    Seriously?

53. bobbyyyd says: Mar 13, 2010 6:51 PM

As a Panther fan. I will tell you Delhomme is done. I watched all the games from this past season. I also re watched every INT he threw. Most of the time he is missing the hot read and if does decide to throw to the open receiver he’ll overthrow him. On the bright side he is a good locker room presence, and He is a Vet so he knows the NFL.

54. slipkid says: Mar 13, 2010 7:00 PM

this one is hard to figure. i bet neither is in cleveland next year. and mange will be gone too.

55. Dawgpound2009 says: Mar 13, 2010 7:02 PM

I have to admit I liked the Seneca Wallace move but Jake Friggin Delhomme ? Why oh why would you want him on your football team ? Is this a ploy to ensure that we end up picking first next year so that we are a lock to pick Jake Locker?
    Go Seneca, I hope you win the starting the job.

56. marktg30 says: Mar 13, 2010 7:04 PM

I think this looks like more of an indicator that the Browns will draft a QB to sit the bench behind Delhomme and Wallace and fight for a #2 QB role if possible.
    Makes me feel like they will take Tebow in the 2nd Round.

57. whodey says: Mar 13, 2010 7:05 PM

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

58. Occam says: Mar 13, 2010 7:06 PM

“But damm Jake Delhomme was kind of shitty last year..”
    That’s like saying Hitler was “kind of” anti-Jewish.

59. diskoh says: Mar 13, 2010 7:14 PM

Let’s forget for a second that Delhomme sucks… The guy is 35 years old.
    Bad move.

60. andyb513 says: Mar 13, 2010 7:18 PM

Holmgren’s record with quarterbacks? He isn’t coaching the team.
    At least they have some experienced hands coming in. Wonder what they really think about Quinn.

61. blmonroe12 says: Mar 13, 2010 7:23 PM

Best case scenerio, Quinn runs a 4.4 40 and someone gets it on tape to show Al Davis and he agrees to trade Michael Bush to Cleveland for Quinn.. Other then that miracle, we need to hope Weis wants him in KC or Pete Carroll thinks he can work with him in Seattle. I don’t even think AZ wants a piece of this..

62. mnmaverick says: Mar 13, 2010 7:24 PM

The Vikings could be watching this. They like Quinn.
    He’s a better fit than Jackson or Rosenfels.

63. Thunderlipps says: Mar 13, 2010 7:24 PM

Can everyone please chill the hell out?…
    Can we for one second think that Holmgren, who has a 25 yr.+ track record of being around developing some of the best quarterbacks (ever), knows what he is doing when it comes to evaluating whether or not a guy “has it”?
    Do you honestly think moves like this are made, without a plan??
    Maybe of we put quinn/anderson in a better situation… maybe if we put quinn/anderson in a better system… maybe if surround quinn/anderson with better players… maybe, maybe, maybe… WTF!
    Maybe looking at it from the inside-out, we have been living on false hope, and the new guys with an outside-in perspective can actually see it… and they are doing something about it!

64. savocabol1 says: Mar 13, 2010 7:26 PM

Apparently some of you commentors have never watched the Browns play. Derek Anderson was/is one of the worst QBs in the NFL. Florio’s kid could play better ball than DA. Yes Delhomme is no franchise changer, but considering we got rid of a franchise ruiner Browns made out. Besides, lets be real about this…Delhomme is one of the top 20-25 QBs in the league when he isn’t throwing a million ints.

65. Jabroni says: Mar 13, 2010 7:33 PM

I can’t believe somebody is trying to compare delhomme to Favre and Warner. Maybe gus frerotte or jake plummer. maybe

66. Fonetik says: Mar 13, 2010 7:38 PM

bigswifty1 says: March 13, 2010 6:43 PM
    —————–
    Yeah, I know Seneca Wallace is bad. Did you see any of his games in Seattle? He wasn’t fit to hold Hasselbeck’s helmet.
    Just out of curiosity, why does it matter how much I make a year? How is that relevant to how bad Delhomme and Wallace are? You have a lot of blind anger pent up inside you, don’t you? See a therapist.

67. sammm says: Mar 13, 2010 7:41 PM

I thought we were getting respectible. Hard to stay positive after this signing.
    I hope Holmgren knows what he’s doing.

68. Catamount says: Mar 13, 2010 7:42 PM

One thing I have learned–never count Jake out.

69. pilot08 says: Mar 13, 2010 7:45 PM

I hope the browns do well this years.. I really want Jake to finish his career off in decent fashion…I think the Browns are moving to a purely run first offense and will pride themselves in the run..
    Believe it or not, but Jake is a good qb to have for that kind of offense. I don’t think he’ll be that interception prone this year.
    Anybody could intercept Delhomme last year, Steve Smith was the only receiver to throw to.

70. blueridge624 says: Mar 13, 2010 7:49 PM

Is this a good move for the Browns? I mean, Delhomme has been atrocious for 2 years. The arc of his career is going down,down and down. And here he lands- splattt! -right in Mike Holmgren’s lap. Oh well, Holmgren’s a genius, isn’t he?

71. BLancy23 says: Mar 13, 2010 7:50 PM

Seriously SterilizeTHenry? You think signing a washed up quarterback who throws about 5 ints a game is better than already having a guy who very well could be a great starting NFL QB? Wheres your head at man? Delhomme had like 2 good seasons…as far as I’m concerned Delhomme shouldnt even be an option to start for the Browns. I seriously doubt Holmgren would bring Delhomme in to quarterback this team, he’s there to coach up Quinn. If Holmgren is as great of a quarterback guru as he thinks he is than why not try and coach up Quinn? I would much rather have Quinn on my team than Jimmy Clausen. To quote a phrase from “The Replacements” Delhomme’s not even a has been, he’s a never was.

72. purpleDAWG says: Mar 13, 2010 7:53 PM

Awesome news. The Vikes wanted Quinn before they landed Favre. Browns wanted to much. Now they can get him dirt cheap. He can learn from Favre for a year.

73. JoeSixPack says: Mar 13, 2010 8:02 PM

Jake Delhomme – the 35 year old QB of the future…. but then again, when you consider that they selected Mangini as head coach it makes perfect sense.
    It also makes sense that they paid $6 million to a TE who could only manage to snag 29 passes from Tom Brady.
    Hmmm – 29 catches from a hall of fame QB – I wonder how Browns fans expect that number to improve with Seneca Wallace or Delhomme?

74. DawgPoundLifer says: Mar 13, 2010 8:08 PM

Mr Holmgren, I can please have a refund for my season tickets??

75. oldhorseteeth7 says: Mar 13, 2010 8:10 PM

This could turn out to be a good signing. Remember Jake was coming off Tommy John Surgery last year. It takes two years for that type surgery to heal. Jake may still have a couple of good years left if his arm heals properly.

76. botchedextrapoint says: Mar 13, 2010 8:10 PM

For all the doom and gloom their options are what exactly.
    Option 1. Stay put at QB and suck
    Options 2. Pick up some weak options at QB that may suck as much as option 1 but maybe might jump at a fresh start and be Ok while a future QB is groomed through the draft
    Option 3. Pay a kings ransom in picks for a Philly QB who is either at the tail end of their career or who played a few good games for a good team and may not live up to expectations (ask KC fans how that Cassel trade is working for them).
    Sounds like they picked the best option to me. Keep your picks, draft smart and hope that Wallace or Delhomme fill in the gap for a few seasons. Be patient Browns fans, you should be used to totally sucking by now. What’s another wasted season going to mater if it finally gets you to the playoffs and beyond.

77. zod says: Mar 13, 2010 8:16 PM

Two chumps and a rookie. Not worth getting this excited about. The WCO can work with a lot of short quick throws.

78. pissed browns fan says: Mar 13, 2010 8:18 PM

wow!!!!!!!!! holmgren go over to the local high school and get a qb, they by far our better than any qb the browns have!!!!!!!

79. dybzinski says: Mar 13, 2010 8:19 PM

For those of you that obviously don’t watch Browns games and DA & BQ beyond ESPN’s 2 minutes highlights… I’d would have gladly taken Jake’s stats the past two years, even if atrocious. It would have been an upgrade.
    If by chance he has anything left and gets back to his norm, we will have doubly upgraded from what we’ve had. And we were never going to keep DA and his $9 million contract, Brady could stay at cheap $ or get a another decent pick in return.
    What were we to do, stand pat? Everyone complains but don’t even have a better idea.

80. kr says: Mar 13, 2010 8:19 PM

this must be Holmgren’s stealth way of setting himself up to fire Mangini next year

81. DB26 says: Mar 13, 2010 8:28 PM

Will draft and develop either Colt McCoy, Jarrett Brown, or Tony Pike behind a Super Bowl veteran Jake Delhomme, and a back up in Wallace who has proven he can produce in Holmgrens system.
    Keep in mind fellers, Holmgren/Heckert are not on a one year system. They have brought in solid and proven veterans to this point that will coach rookies/youth on the field. It is how you BUILD a winner, not splash in FA with big dollars and draft picks to build a potential one year runner.

82. BOO3LEGS says: Mar 13, 2010 8:31 PM

The Browns are clearly leaning towards drafting a QB in the top rounds, maybe even trading up in the first round to do it. Get a cheap QB who knows the offense to teach it, and another cheap veteran to teach the intangibles of the position. We very well could see a rookie starting this year. If the Browns are going to be a run first offense don’t be surprised to see another trade down (so they can get another 2nd or 3rd) and them taking a big o-lineman in the first again. It will not be the sexy pick but you got to love a the O-Lineman.

83. FumbleNuts says: Mar 13, 2010 8:33 PM

Oh Noooooooooooo… the sky is falling because the Browns now have Jake Delhomme!
    He is not really the kind QB for the West Coast offense that Homgren likes to run. I really doubt he can be the starter, Seneca KNOWS the WC system and is way more athletic then Jake D.
    He is JUST insurance, and only insurance because of his veteran presence.

84. JeterLeto says: Mar 13, 2010 8:39 PM

Holy shit talking. Most people in here bashed quinn all last year and now moving on to jake. Jake has had one year in his career with more int than tds since 99. Wallace hasnt even had a chance to prove himself as a starter. At least let the season start and see how they do

85. ThheVet700 says: Mar 13, 2010 8:47 PM

Delhomme is French for “Chucker”!

86. emmac13 says: Mar 13, 2010 8:48 PM

This years QB free agent list blew. But Holmgren could not stick with the same pukes for another year. He has two established QB’s now. One familiar with Holmgren himself. The other as a mentor figure. Now he can draft his own QB to be the future of the Browns. So the jury will out in a few years you douchebags.

87. ECUPanther says: Mar 13, 2010 9:07 PM

Cleveland fans are just as misguided as Panther fans….
    riddlecleve says:
    March 13, 2010 6:17 PM
    Shitty doesn’t even start to explain the year he had last year. Many Panther fans blame it on the Tommy John surgery (Jake lovers), while others said he has always sucked (Jake haters). His problem did not involve his arm, it was in his head. If he can regain his confidence, then the Browns will definitely have found a steal in free agency. The Pros and Cons are as followed:
    Pros….
    Delhomme has the intangibles that coaches dream of. He is a fiery competitor (which Cleveland has lacked at QB since coming back into the league). With a confident Delhomme, Cleveland will always be in the game to win. He is the ultimate teammate… he deflects praise to the team and accepts all criticism. He is a leader. His teammates will elavate their level when he is playing (with confidence of course).
    Cons….
    Delhomme will cost you some games. He will throw interceptions (by taking chances… just like Favre). If his confidence is shot still, then he will be a waste of whatever guaranteed money he receives. When Delhomme starts off bad in a game, he won’t get better (just hope Harrison and James Davis are having magnificent games during these times).
    My best friend is a die hard Browns fan. I’ve seen over 90% of your games for the past 3 years. Delhomme and Wallace are obvious upgrades. Brady Quinn seems gun-shy and uneasy in the pocket (although there is nothing “shy” about the way he runs his mouth). It seemed, at times, that Anderson didn’t have a firm grasp on being the leader. I’ve seen him being question by teammates DURING the course of the game (several times). Also, his completion percentage was horrendous,but getting rid of Winslow, and Edwards misunderstanding that the receiver’s job is to catch the ball, not drop it didn’t help make his job easier. Take a look at Quinn’s YPC. It just shows that he dumps the ball off 9 out of 10 passing plays.

88. tobago says: Mar 13, 2010 9:10 PM

a curious move to say the least, but I hope Holmgren knows what he is doing.

89. bigswifty1 says: Mar 13, 2010 9:12 PM

# Fonetik says: March 13, 2010 7:38 PM
    —————–
    ___________________________
    Seneca only started games in spot-duty while Hasselbeck was injured. How do you know he won’t be a good QB with a team he could thrive with all year long? Sounds like YOU have the built up anger issues.
    And, my point about the money you make is this: if you knew as much about football as you think you do, you’d probably be getting paid to work with the QB’s, not just bash them.
    Oh, and by the way… I AM a therapist. Wanna talk?

90. colenutt3 says: Mar 13, 2010 9:17 PM

Wow, Bad move but watch, Denver picks up Brady Quinn and McDaniels turns him into the next Brady.

91. Clevelander says: Mar 13, 2010 9:18 PM

Quinn is too fragile. He’s had two years to play and couldn’t even finish them because of minor injuries.
    And forget the Eagles qb’s. McNabb is over the hill and Kolb is not a starter. He just had a couple good games because nobody knew who he was.
    People are acting like we’re stuck with Delhomme for a decade now. Get real.

92. theuncletodd says: Mar 13, 2010 9:24 PM

Fumblenuts—what type of West Coast O did you see with Mangini/Browns last year? Holmgren is the Pres not the coach (yet). I’m not a fan of this pickup but it appears to be the stopgap measure for when CLE gets a QB in the draft
    just say NO to Clausen, Bradford(damaged goods)
    find the sleeper in rounds 3-5

93. OLDCRACKER says: Mar 13, 2010 9:29 PM

I don’t see Delhomme as any kind of upgrade but, Big Mike & his staff know a lot more than me. Besides, we weren’t going to get any better with what we had.
    Delhomme has had a long up & down career. Wallace has played adequately when given the chance but, is probably destined to be a back-up once again.
    BQ never got a real chance and probably has been ruined by the Browns organization (or lack there of). Maybe a change of scenery can save his career. I don’t know but, I’m hoping. The same for DA…at least he has the physical tools.
    The Clowns have a lot of holes to fill and each draft pick must count towards filling them. So, I feel we have to believe that things will get better but we have such a long way to go.
    Building the organization and the foundation (linemen) of the team should’ve been done under Policy & Clark. Holmgren is dealing with all of that now. It will still take several years for us.
    Via Con Dios, Big Mike!

94. Big_Monkey says: Mar 13, 2010 9:34 PM

I can’t help but believe that the Browns made this move after talking to the Eagles and realizing that their asking price for McNabb was simply too high.

95. biggredd says: Mar 13, 2010 9:43 PM

This is a good vet signing, something the browns lacked at QB. The browns will be run oriented which will help Jake. A young QB will be drafted to sit behind and learn from a veteran. Bill Nelsen is back!

96. SterilizeTHenry says: Mar 13, 2010 9:51 PM

BLancy23 says:
    March 13, 2010 7:50 PM
    ——————————————–
    Uh yeah, I am saying that any team in this league would take Delhomme over Quinn. At least Jake has shown he CAN be a starting NFL QB. Quinn just doesn’t have it. Weak arm, with terrible accuracy past ten yards. I don’t care how much of a QB guru Holmgren is. You can’t shine shit. Quinn is done.
    And Jake had 6 pretty solid seasons in a row, not two. Look up his stats.

97. realityonetwo says: Mar 13, 2010 9:59 PM

HAHAHAHAHA! Browns really suck now……
    Jake Delhomme? Dumb asses!

98. FullmetalBrown says: Mar 13, 2010 10:05 PM

Obviously Holmgrem believes he has some shelf life being the Browns President. He truely is pushing the reset button. Even he knows in his mind Delhomme is NOT taking this team to the promise land. Quinn and Wallace are both unpredictable to anyone due to lack of gametime experience.
    Unless the Browns get a steal for Quinn they should keep him and start him. I garauntee if Quinn starts the whole year almost all Browns fans will feel relieved. Because Quinn will either fall flat on his face or turn out to be good. So either fans will feel “OK he finally got a full year, and he stunk – get rid of him” Or feel “Hey he’s got some promise – glad we kept him”
    I guess i feel it seems fail safe to just start Quinn this one year. I cant believe Mangini didnt see this last year, and will be disappointed if Holmgrem doesnt see it either.

99. Codename says: Mar 13, 2010 10:09 PM

I actually screamed and cried at the same time when I read this. 85 INT season here we come.

100. ECUPanther says: Mar 13, 2010 10:15 PM

Cleveland fans are just as misguided as Panther fans….
    riddlecleve says:
    March 13, 2010 6:17 PM
    I dont really know where to start. As a die-hard browns fan I guess we just have to have faith in Holmgren. But damm was kind of shitty last year…Any Carolina fans with some input on him???
    Pros….
    Cons….
    My best friend is a die hard Browns fan. I’ve seen over 90% of your games for the past 3 years. Delhomme and Wallace are obvious upgrades. seems gun-shy and uneasy in the pocket (although there is nothing “shy” about the way he runs his mouth). It seemed, at times, that Anderson didn’t have a firm grasp on being the leader. I’ve seen him being question by teammates DURING the course of the game (several times). Also, his completion percentage was horrendous,but getting rid of Winslow, and Edwards misunderstanding that the receiver’s job is to catch the ball, not drop it didn’t help make his job easier. Take a look at Quinn’s YPC. It just shows that he dumps the ball off 9 out of 10 passing plays.

101. Paulitik says: Mar 13, 2010 10:16 PM

Are there any Bojangles in Cleveland? Maybe the lack of buttery biscuits and fried chicken grease on Jake’s fingers will help reduce his number of interceptions.
    One can only hope.

102. highjak78 says: Mar 13, 2010 10:18 PM

At least he’s not a rapist…….
    signed, Steeler fan

103. subadai says: Mar 13, 2010 10:18 PM

AHHH. Owww. MY BALLS! AGAIN!

104. mnmaverick says: Mar 13, 2010 10:19 PM

You Brown fans are kind of harsh on Jake. He’s the best QB you’ve had behind center since Bernie Kosar. He’s just a temporary fix, but he’s better than what you’ve had at QB in a VERY LONG TIME.
    Remember people judged Favre by what he did on a Jet team that was 3-13 the year before he was forced to play there.
    Jake took the Panthers to a Super Bowl. He might be more Kerry Collins than Peyton Manning, but can you as Brown fans really complain? That Panther team, had their run and then fell apart due to age and injuries. Delhomme isn’t Jesus Christ, but he’s not a scrub either. He’s a seasoned veteran who’s had a great deal of success.

105. FullmetalBrown says: Mar 13, 2010 10:21 PM

Quick trivia name a Browns QB that never beat the Steelers? How about never lost to the Steelers?
    D.A. never beat them. Brady Quinn 1-0
    Know this i thought maybe we should drop Anderson (good job Holmgrem) and keep Quinn a little longer. Im i crazy?

106. ppdoc13 says: Mar 13, 2010 10:26 PM

Wow!!!! All of us in the AFC North are officially quaking in our boots. If they start Jake the Browns will be lucky to win 4 games next year. If they start Wallace they will be lucky to win 5 games next year. If its Brady Quinn maybe its 3 -4. They have a passel of picks this year. Heckert has one shot to get this time on the right track. One of these picks better be a real QB to develop. Because the drek they have on the team now is taking them NOWHERE!

107. BuckFigBen says: Mar 13, 2010 10:32 PM

Hey it could be worse. He could be a rapist. Just sayin.

108. jordanv says: Mar 13, 2010 10:42 PM

I’ve never understood the love affair with Delhomme, all he does is throw picks yet Carolina kept giving him big money and now the Browns sign him…..I mean he had one playoff run in Carolina, one!!!! Then for three years after that everyone talked about what a winner he was, I guess I just don’t understand.

109. SmackMyVickUp.com says: Mar 13, 2010 10:44 PM

Browns sign Delhomme and Wallace.
    49ers pick up Carr.
    Panthers give Moore a pay raise and hand him keys to the team, for now.
    Rams likely to pick Bradford, acquired Feeley for short term.
    Raiders standing behind their $40 million lethargy sufferer.
    Options are running out for a washed up gimmick who wants to play QB.
    Bills are in too small of a market to gamble on him.
    McNabb lives in Phoenix already and better fit there.

110. lanche says: Mar 13, 2010 10:45 PM

I was OK with this deal until I just found out that the Browns are going to pay Delhomme $7 million dollars next year.
    Are you kidding me?

111. Macadamia says: Mar 13, 2010 10:45 PM

LMAO @ the entire Clowns’ org. This is just one more clear indication that Holmgren is a TERRIBLE front office guy. Looking forward to my Ravens picking off any one of these bums over and over again twice this season.

112. Jungle Juice says: Mar 13, 2010 11:37 PM

Has Quinn even been given much of a chance? Send him to the Bengals. We would love to give him a shot.

113. JohnC says: Mar 13, 2010 11:50 PM

I think everyone here is missing the big picture. Here’s what’s happened so far….
    1. Mangini starts the season 1 and 7. His only victory being a 6-3 “win” over Buffalo.
    2. Lerner panics. Fires Kokinus. Begins search for football czar.
    3. Holmgren is hired.
    4. Mangini wins the last four games of the season including a win against Pittsburgh, which counts as three or four wins in Cleveland.
    5. Holmgren wants to coach, however Mangini is starting to look like he was right and that his vision might be working.
    6. Holmgren can’t fire Mangini inder these circumstances, so he goes out and gets subpar players for Mangini to coach. Mangini is unable to win with these guys. He gets fired and is replaced by Holmgren who now can bring real players here.
    This is the only thing that makes sense to me as I watch these moves.

114. cizzie4shizzie says: Mar 14, 2010 12:51 AM

Delhomme is French for “Pick”.
    Great signing Browns. A horrible QB on a horrible team

115. Chas says: Mar 14, 2010 1:52 AM

Mannings rookie stats 16 games, 56% completion 26 TD’s 28 INT’s11
    Troy Aikman first 11 game 52% completion 18 TD’s 19 INT’s
    Dan Marino’s first 11 games 58% completion 6 TD’s 10 INT’s
    John Elways first 11 games 47% completion 7 TD’s 14 INT’s
    Brady Quinn’s first 13 games 52% completion 10 TD’s 9 INT’s
    These 4 are all hall of fame QB’s but none of them would have been if you just threw them away after their first season or less!
    I’m not saying he will come anywhere near the HOF but why should he be judged so harshly after such a short period of time. 3 years with 2 different coaches, 3 different offensive coordinators, 3 different GM’s, and Braylon (stone hands) Edwards as the best reciever he has ever had to work with? He hasn’t had a Running game or right tackle and has had to deal with a defense that couldn’t ever stop anyone to get him the ball back so he could get into some kind of groove in the offense. If he just had a coach that would hand over the team to him and give him a chance to get in a training camp taking most of the reps, a number 1 and 2 reciever, a decent running game, and a defense that could hold someone under 30 points. Funny how when they did these things the last 3 games (other than different WR) they went 3-0.
    They continue to do these things so he can manage the game I think he could be a top 15 QB in the NFL.
    And someday he will just not for the Frowns…
    I

116. CKL says: Mar 14, 2010 5:35 AM

ECUPanther says:
    March 13, 2010 10:15 PM
    Cleveland fans are just as misguided as Panther fans….
    _________________________________
    Case in point the below by jordanv (as well as boatloads of the others)which is completely and totally inaccurate. If you’ve never watched players or teams for more than a game or two, it isn’t really wise to spout off about them based on a couple craptacular ESPN clips of INTs or your FF league.
    Your post ECU was pretty damn good and pretty on the money.
    jordanv says:
    March 13, 2010 10:42 PM

117. Duan says: Mar 14, 2010 11:07 AM

I think it’s fair to say this – Delhomme had a good set of receivers in Carolina – when he was playing well. After the Tommy John’s surgery, a couple of those receivers have lost a step.
    Cleveland does not have any solid receivers, it is a very young corp.
    If Cleveland doesn’t upgrade the corp, by adding at least one veteran receiver, a serious upgrade – Delhomme, Wallace and Ratliff wikll have the same problems D.A. and Quinn encountered last year.
    I know Quinn doesn’t have a lot of film to go on to say whether he will be great or bad, but got dang! I just have this bad gut feeling that we will regret the day we lose him, just like Belicheck and the Browns leaving town!
    For the few opportunities that kid has had, he is darn careful with the ball.
    I can see adding Wallace and Delhomme for compeitition sake and for experience – if they are letting a qb go, let Ratliff go !
    Quinn’s salary for 2010 is very roster friendly if he is not going to be the starter

118. riddlecleve says: Mar 14, 2010 11:22 AM

@BOO3 LEGS
    You said…If the Browns are going to be a run first offense
    Just throwing this out there Mike Holmgren is bringing the West Coast Offesne to Cleveland. That is a basically a pass first offensive scheme. So you throw more than you run, if you dont get it…and you call yourself a Browns fan.

119. DieHardSkinsFan21 says: Mar 14, 2010 11:29 AM

This has got to be the dumbest pick up of free agency 2010.

120. Dinger says: Mar 14, 2010 11:48 AM

Let’s see whether Charlie Weis can persuade the Chiefs braintrust to take Claussen in the same manner he shilled for Quinn. Is there any question in anyone’s mind as to why ND has sucked for the last 10+ years. It’s called inbreeding and ND is “cradle of consanguinity.”

121. jordanv says: Mar 14, 2010 7:58 PM

Jungle Juice, I really hope you were being sarcastic!! You would love to give Brady Quinn a shot in Cinncinatti? Correct me if I’m wrong , but don’t you have Carson Palmer?

122. mikeg11117 says: Mar 15, 2010 1:12 PM

LOL. Does Holmgren know that Jake had trouble running an offense with one of the most dynamic wide-outs (Steve Smith) and a very good running tandem? That division, yes I do know that the Saints won the Super Bowl, isn’t the toughest in the NFL. I am not saying the AFC North is the best but Cincy, Pitt and Balt? Come on, Jake isn’t going to cut it…